Proposed Combat Balance Changes for 1.6

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh

Grandmaster Knight
Basically, I want to make Mommy considerably harder, in terms of milking all the benefits of the current skill system.  I'm also going to go ahead and flesh out the backstory a bit, incorporating the Ancients (the precursors to the failed Calradian Empire). 

That said, I like the current system of army / hero buffs; it makes sense that players eventually gain some skills that make their armies better, not just themselves as individuals, and it gives players a viable way to make their armies more efficient over time.  However, it's had a lot of knock-on effects that I feel need some changes at this point.

I also want to do something about the overall trend in the system, where eventually armor isn't mattering any more (it gets a bit silly when all the Party buffs and personal buffs are maxed), while leaving room for Barbs to dish out pain and for the Merc Archer to not suddenly hit a big wall and become de-facto useless, instead of continuing to be a Legolas archetype with some advantages and disadvantages.

So, just to make sure that I understand what's up on the high end, I've been playing it out with a cheater character, to see what we get when all buffs are maxed.  It gets pretty ridiculous there, and since I know min-max players are often going to end up there one way or another, it's time to make some edits.

Thanks to some timely assistance from Somebody, I have some pretty neato stuff I can do now, in terms of item and troop flags that go outside the Taleworlds system of play.  I am hoping this will clear up a bunch of clutter in the current damage system code, amongst other things, by allowing me to get rid of exceptional case stuff and instead go with a more natural system.

Here's the basic outline of what I'm going to try to do:

1.  There will be a minimum damage value for a lot of the heavier weapons.

It's just plain stupid that army buffs, armor etc. are making people flat-out immune to strikes from stuff.  I really feel it's taken away a lot of the feeling of danger that suffused earlier builds.  I like the current system of army buffs, but it needs some more work.  This will generally make the two-handers and the slow 1H weapons more valuable, amongst other things, and de-emphasize Pierce a bit.  Yes, I could just raise their damage again, but frankly they're already 1HK for a lot of stuff and it's been a real mess trying to keep the current system coherent.

I'm not sure yet, but I think this might just fix the issues with people setting damage to 1/2 or 1/4 to some extent, too :wink:

2.  There will be damage caps to reduce 1HK stuff on the high end. 

This is probably the hardest part to balance well, but I'm going to take a stab at this.  I really didn't like how in Native, you could get a solid slash in with a sword on an un-armored man, and he'd continue to be functional.  That's unacceptable; we're not returning to that, it'd pretty much ruin the mod, imo.  But the whole way it works now is just too slanted towards either Nothing or 1HK.  There just isn't a lot of in-between.

So I think the cap is going to be something like 50 as a minimum (1HK range for low-level guys) up to 1/2 damage, whichever is greater.  That makes the 2H and slower / heavier 1H weapons more realistically viable, in terms of 1HK, without having to have ridiculous damage values, and it and min-damage will de-emphasize Pierce as being the only viable route.  It'll also make crits much less like egregious extra damage after you've already done more than enough to kill.

Anyhow, that's my starting basis for that change; I am open to constructive suggestions about this; basically, I want 1HK to be a lot less common on the high end, where elite weapons, skills, player skill and character / party buffs have made having to actually care much about damage past getting past the armor (with the exception of Flesh Golems / Alephs) a thing of the past.  I really think that unless you're using something really nasty, like a 2H maul, that a level-40+ heavy troop should not just be keeling over with a single strike.

3.  Enemy heroes will get a considerable in-battle buff vs. ordinary troops. 

I feel that while it's realistic for, say, King Ragnar to get pwned by your armies easily while he rides towards your Missile Army of Dewm, it's just not dramatically interesting and doesn't fit the way the mod works, where you're frequently running around with the Companions stacked to the sky (at least, that's how I generally play).  I have not had to fight a real duel with an enemy Lord or King, ever.  My armies always take them out for me.  It lacks drama.

So, vs. ordinary guys, enemy heros will get a considerable bonus to damage taken, especially vs. missile stuff.  They'll probably get a bonus vs. players and the Companions, too.  Basically a damage cap of some kind to keep them from being easy fodder, like the Alephs / Undead.

This may be fairly controversial, so I wanted to hear if anybody has strong opinions.  Basically, I think that Lords should feel about as powerful as the Player, if not more, and should not just be randomly dying early unless they're just stupendously unlucky.  To some extent, I think this should apply to Champions as well.  These are meant to be special, powerful characters that the Player or the Companions will need to nullify, not just fodder for a lucky Aleph strike or your Jannisaries.

4.  Poisoned attacks will be available.

Basically, poison's a secondary critical chance.  Poison, if it takes effect, will deal a lot of damage.  Poisoned weapons were pretty rare IRL, and very few armies ever employed it in large amounts, to the best of my knowledge; fast-acting poisons weren't easy to get or use, and slow-acting poisons were generally unimportant (why bother, when medicine was so poor that any wound might well prove fatal).

So, expect some forces to use poison, but it won't be common.  I think it'd be fitting for the Khergits, as the Chinese and Mongols were actually pretty keen on this kind of thing and it would give them a very interesting buff.

5.  There will be Ancient weapons that give the player buffs vs. Armies of Darkness / Light.

This is more or less breaking the "no magic" rule, but it seemed like a fun way to make the new weapons relevant, while not making them especially nifty vs. everything.  Basically, they'll get a better min-damage value vs. these types, so using them for the battles vs. these forces would be preferable to using more ordinary weapons.  It's about the only thing I could come up with that seemed like it'd give a real bonus to them without making them simply yet-another thing that merely requires money to become more powerful.

6.  Deploying the Aleph will be expensive and hopefully become rarer, instead of being a constant crutch.

If there's been one consistent theme about the 1.5+ builds, it's that the Aleph makes things too easy, especially for players on Normal.  So, I think what will happen is that the Aleph will cost a lot of money and one Ammunition to deploy.  That will prevent it from being the first tool everybody reaches for when times are tough.  I've already nerfed the Aleph a bit, in terms of killing power, but I think that this is probably necessary.

7.  Flesh Golems will be immune to most missiles.

They'll also get the same treatment as Lords / Champions.  IOW, killing them off with your missile armies while kiting them on a horse won't work out any more.  I'll probably make them a little easier for players / Companions to kill in HTH, though.

8.  Remnants will get nerfed a bit.

Not quite sure how, but most likely by taking away their high-Pierce weapons and giving them medium-Cut ones with Poison attacks instead.  A small nerf, not a huge one.  I like how they're actually challenging foes atm.

9.  Death Knights / Templars will get hero buffs.

See above for the outline of how that might work.  Basically, they'll be considerably harder to kill, but rarer.

I've been with this mod (at least watching this mod, I even had an account here before) since the beginning, and I really like how fantasy elements started to seep into the game itself in a clever... Well, in a way that it was incorporated into the Hercules and Xena: Warrior Princess shows, among other Low-Fantasy shows.

So the magic aspects I really don't mind, same with the female mercenaries; since they're not all nude and waving about like 'amazons', it's perfectly tasteful (with a bit of Warhammer inspiration it seems).

Keep up the good work. :3

Also, making Golems immune to piercing attacks/arrows/thrown weapons seems odd, as those types of weapons would be more likely to pierce thick, heavier armor than say... swords and maces. Perhaps make them immune to arrows, but vulnerable to guns and/or magic?

Thanks for the kind words; all changes in that direction always seem to garner their harvest of hate-mail, so it's nice to know it's not entirely unappreciated :lol:

As for the Golems, I have serious mechanical problems with them.  Right now, players can shoot them or throw grenades and get / keep them aggro towards them, running them around in front of their missile armies, which inevitably results in dead Golems.  I'm going to try and solve those problems by making them a bit less inclined to be kited, but if that doesn't work, this is Plan B.

1. I can understand changing it for late game purposes. Yes arrows end up pointless late game, but I must disagree about being completely immune to most damage claim. Granted the barb is more evident to this aspect. My character is a merchant in Mommy and even with a rhulg helm, dark plate armor, and steel boots there will be a lucky shot or strike that'll hit him.
2. I agree with this reasoning. I can't remember having to more than one slash someone unless maybe I got a hit in my side view though.
3. I get as many versatile companions too to buff out my army and often fighting a lord's army he's taken out by my troops. I like the idea of enemy heroes being on par with the player. A little better? Well that depends how it's worked in. I don't know how much it applies in the latest build, but in past builds lords could sometimes could land some nasty one handed blows against a very well geared character. I agree that champion troops should be buffed in this manner to a lesser extent making a tiered approach to armies: Usual troops<champions<lords. I know you mentioned that you were fixing the bug where you can get champs from prisoner recruiting after battles. My query is have you pondered an option for players to legitimately recruit champions?
4. Poisoned weapons sound interesting. It would give the Khergits a nice buff since I think they're kind of weak. Making it uncommon I agree since it could prove to be overpowered.
5. I like the idea, have you thought about extending it to undead troops? I don't know what golems fall under be it undead or dark horde troops, but it sounds like a neat little advantage to take them out.
6. The Aleph changes seem reasonable. My question is how do these changes apply to enemy heroes?
7. At the current live build golems I would say immune to bolts and arrows, no? I agree they should be immune to some missiles, what do you mean in your proposal? If they become immune to gun and cannon weaponry, I must disagree. Resistant but can still take some licks, ok. Immune to them and you take out a useful chunk of your army against them.
8. The proposal sounds good. They should be glass cannons.
9.Sounds good. This would make training templar troops worth more.

1. I can understand changing it for late game purposes. Yes arrows end up pointless late game, but I must disagree about being completely immune to most damage claim. Granted the barb is more evident to this aspect. My character is a merchant in Mommy and even with a rhulg helm, dark plate armor, and steel boots there will be a lucky shot or strike that'll hit him.
Well, mainly what I was looking at is what happens when Agility / Toughness / Combat Training are maxed, plus 14 level skills in Defensive Tactics and Heroism.

The total stack is pretty insane, on the defensive.  Generally speaking, either enemies get a good lucky crit or they do nothing at all; the cumulative effect of that plus Player mobility means that kiting indefinitely to win HTH is definitely possible.  Bringing in minimum-damage for the heavier weapons is probably the best way to get this feeling right again- if the Player gets mobbed, 9 times out of 10, that should be the end of it.  That tends to make Rambo pretty un-attractive.  Right now, it's the opposite; I just Shield Bash and kill them faster than they can get the crits they need, then send in the Companions to panzer them into oblivion.  Companions with full stacks are almost as bad as the Player  :lol:

I'm not saying that the Player or the Companions are ever really invulnerable; there are things that can kill them. 

But I'm finding myself doing too much Rambo right now; it used to be that I really had a strong fear of the Rhodoks, for example, but at this point if they don't just hit me with their knights, they're toast. 

I can get behind that. The only times late game I tactically change is if I'm against 2 handers or flanking cavalry.

some more input if you like:
playing on mommy, as barb, damage taken all normal, medium combat speed, life reg on
i like it hard too(sorry^^), but i chose the barb...next life...

if possible:
1. give low tier units a small(like 1point) damagebonus that always applies, regardless of armor, and higher-ups more...dont want the looters to get too cocky...or maybe give this damage bonus to certain weapons to prevent it to become too 'unrealistic'...like its hard to pierce a plate with a sword like weapon, but not with using a warhammer.
i know the game does this a lot by the inbuild system, but maybe it would prevent me from standing 50m in front of my army and singlehandedly fighting off cavalry, because i know that only a REALLY fast rider with a lance could kill me....
2. cool i had 1k damage once lol
3. nice the lords/champions would not only be a real threat to you and your troops, but it would also give the player a new direction in combat, to seek and kill them fast and actively. champion-troops for the players should not have those super buffs, oc...
4.sure...if it sucks ppl will tell you
harhar
5. very good! no more having to hit a golem 10 times and more...
but wait...vs good? is there a way to fight vs the good guys in the game yet? thought they were just like a placeholder....
6 :smile:
7. if you buff the golems so much, do they get an increase in xp-gain? sounds like you could fight them only with a highlvl troop of 400+ and yourself and comps over 30 for the buffs...and on higher levels the xp is not worth the effort and loss of troops... or maybe just take out the golem-clusters entirely....
8.we'll see with the poison and the other changes
9.i want skeleton troops!

maybe it helps, and i didnt say the same stuff as the poster before

I've just recently gotten into this mod, but I think the main thing with damage and all that is that health doesn't really scale along with the ridiculous damage that's often done. This leads to situations where either no damage is done because of high armor and defensive buffs (or extremely minimal, and it's healed almost immediately afterwards), or it's a 1HKO.

I love the pace of the game, but being a juggernaut or 1HKO'ing isn't as fun, y'know? Just my 2 cents.

OK, I've built the system and I've gotten to test a few things.

First conclusions:

1.  I need to allow weapons damage to stay high and allow for 1HK on low-end troops.  It really goes against the spirit of the mod if you can't 1HK guys wearing nothing but cloth armor with anything larger than a steak knife.  That's just not reality; we're right back to Native's issues.

So what I think I'll end up doing is putting in damage caps for just about everybody, not just the special cases, but then un-cap damage. 

So a typical knight or whatnot will get damage caps around 40-ish for a lot of strikes, not quite 1HK range, but the low-armor troops will be at the mercy of the weapon's full damage rather than half, keeping the system at its gory norms when dealing with the lower-end troops.  That strikes me as a bit artificial, but the fact is, the armor class of the troops wasn't ever working like it did IRL, since it's a straight-up soak system and if damage > soak, then it's all gravy after that.  What I want is for players and high-end Companions not to just slam through everybody in heavier armors like butter, though (with the notable exception of Barbs and within their specific area, the Merc Archer), so I think that's how it needs to be approached.

2.  I think I need to go ahead and give a 1-HP minimum damage for all non-dodged attacks.  The only exception I can think of is Aleph stuff and maybe a couple of other edge cases. 

A mob of Looters vs. a knight in full, 16th-century plate should go really badly for the Looters, because IRL, they would have a lot of trouble hurting him seriously, but with the possibility that the mob may drag him down from knocks and small injuries over time.  I mean, IRL, they could just dogpile him and win pretty easily, if they were fearless and all willing to die.  After building the system, it just isn't working that way.  So I need to fix that.

The only issue with this is that it may cause characters to get stuttered to death really easily.  I'll look into that.

3.  Poison's really interesting.  It's basically a 1HK weapon with a 1-in-20 crit rate if not dodged.  It's pretty negligible when it's just your hero, but a whole pack of Khergits shooting arrows, the probability gets good enough to worry about...

xenoargh said:
A mob of Looters vs. a knight in full, 16th-century plate should go really badly for the Looters, because IRL, they would have a lot of trouble hurting him seriously, but with the possibility that the mob may drag him down from knocks and small injuries over time.  I mean, IRL, they could just dogpile him and win pretty easily, if they were fearless and all willing to die.
Again with the knight vs mob discussion. What is the best way to describe a mob ? It's the most stupid thing in the world. A mob of looters or peasants will never be fearless and willing to die IRL. 6 seasoned mercs would probably be able to take on a strong knight, but not looters or peasants. That's just how things are. There's a very good reason why knights, although very few in numbers, were the most powerful troops until the age of gunpowder.

Steffenximus said:
Again with the knight vs mob discussion. What is the best way to describe a mob ? It's the most stupid thing in the world. A mob of looters or peasants will never be fearless and willing to die IRL. 6 seasoned mercs would probably be able to take on a strong knight, but not looters or peasants. That's just how things are. There's a very good reason why knights, although very few in numbers, were the most powerful troops until the age of gunpowder.

Seen a lot of battles between peasants and knights in your time, eh? Theoretically, all it takes for a group of men to successfully take down a single knight is to throw heavy or sharp objects to clobber him senseless, especially considering that a suit of plate armor would not do wonders for the knight's mobility and fatigue.

Ofcourse, it all depends on the context and situation of the fight, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on a conclusion as simple as yours. Knights weren't superhuman soldiers, and not all of them possessed a uniformly high level of skill and experience, the same way not all peasants or looters were pitiful fighters or unwilling to risk their lives in combat.

Either way though, gamewise peasants do swarm at you without a care for personal safety, so it makes perfectly good sense that a mob, no matter how low-level, could knock you down on your feet and kill you in M&B.

OK, I've tested out the rough version of all of this. 

HTH will get a 1-point minimum damage if not dodged.  This makes damage on the high end, with all settings at their defaults, less about the very occasional crit doing some (but usually not nearly enough) damage at the high end of buffs to being a slower, steady beat-down if surrounded.  This will make things harder for players who've turned Heroic Health off, but that's not really a bad thing, since their armies were already able to do a lot more slaying at range.  For people with Dodge turned off, it cuts both ways; the enemy's not going to get a Dodge, but you will tend to get whittled a little easier if you don't keep your distance. 

There are all sorts of special caps for the high-end troops in place, making them all work a little better with the damage system. 

There is no minimal damage for missile weapons, because that doesn't make a lot of sense (there's a pretty big difference between arrows bouncing off plate vs. getting whacked with a sword and not even breaking a sweat) and it breaks stuff like Alephs and Golems. 

Most of the high-end troops have flat caps on damage from certain types of strikes.  This means gunning down armies of heavy troops got quite a bit harder, amongst other things.  I also fixed up the fast-moving troops so that they're no longer operating on extreme AGI scores, which was apparently buggy on some people's computers.  They're still faster than the player is and stuff, they just aren't using AGI to do it any more.

The only stuff I haven't gotten around to looking at yet is the Lords and Kings; they have some buffs in place, but early testing indicates that I may have to go even further to make them feel properly heroic.  I don't know yet, though.  Probably I'll end up buffing their hitpoints, though. 

I also probably need to re-balance the Golems a bit, so they aren't quite so prone to killing players outright on single hits if they don't have Barb stats.  They are now at least vaguely like they were supposed to be, though, instead of being easy gun-fodder; non-Heroes simply can't hurt them with missile weapons (with a couple of exceptions).

Sethaniel said:
Steffenximus said:

Seen a lot of battles between peasants and knights in your time, eh? Theoretically, all it takes for a group of men to successfully take down a single knight is to throw heavy or sharp objects to clobber him senseless, especially considering that a suit of plate armor would not do wonders for the knight's mobility and fatigue.

Ofcourse, it all depends on the context and situation of the fight, but I wouldn't be so quick to jump on a conclusion as simple as yours. Knights weren't superhuman soldiers, and not all of them possessed a uniformly high level of skill and experience, the same way not all peasants or looters were pitiful fighters or unwilling to risk their lives in combat.

Either way though, gamewise peasants do swarm at you without a care for personal safety, so it makes perfectly good sense that a mob, no matter how low-level, could knock you down on your feet and kill you in M&B.
You actually claim that simple peasants would stand and fight a knight fiercely to the death ??? I find it hard not to insult your intelligence right now. Peasants like the regular weak people today get intimidated very easily. Sure maybe 1 in 100 is very courageous, so what ? The rest are cowards and will act as such. Nuff said about this. Peasants are stupid and cowards, not their fault, they're not warriors. With good leadership sure 20 peasants MIGHT be able to kill a knight, but certainly not 5.

As for in-game, it gets very tedious when my barb kills 200 enemies by himself, I completely agree with you Xeno, something must be done about that.

Steffenximus said:
You actually claim that simple peasants would stand and fight a knight fiercely to the death ??? I find it hard not to insult your intelligence right now. Peasants like the regular weak people today get intimidated very easily. Sure maybe 1 in 100 is very courageous, so what ? The rest are cowards and will act as such. Nuff said about this. Peasants are stupid and cowards, not their fault, they're not warriors.

Go ahead and insult my intelligence all you want. I doubt it'd make your arguments any more credible, though.

Peasants like regular weak people today get intimidated very easily? They're stupid and cowards? What are you basing this intimate knowledge of the 'peasant' psyche on, Hollywood and video games? If there are cases of untrained and unarmed people taking down armed robbers and soldiers today, what makes you think that the possibility of a group of peasants completely overpowering a single knight is unheard of? It may not be the norm, but it can happen.

Steffenximus said:
With good leadership sure 20 peasants MIGHT be able to kill a knight, but certainly not 5.
Who the bloody hell said 5? A 'mob' would typically include dozens at the very least, which would be daunting for anyone. Hell, I wouldn't even fancy my chances against a dozen pint-sized toddlers :lol:

Here's roughly what's up:

1.  Damage is a bit more rational, instead of having the wide extremes we had before.  No more hits for hundreds of points of damage.

2.  Crits apply after the defensive bonuses.  I've changed it so that now if you take a crit and don't Dodge, you're going to take 20 damage, provided it's not damage that you're immune to (Aleph vs. arrow, for example).  Not crippling damage, but certainly enough to care about, especially vs. missile weapons.

3.  Flat caps where it's appropriate, even if that breaks realism a bit.  If you hit a fully-armored knight, they're not just going to keel over with one hit, generally speaking.

4.  There are damage bonuses for the more extreme weapons, instead of just putting their damage numbers ever-upwards. 

For example, the Barbarians can get their hands on swords only people with their STR can wield. 

They do +30 damage, after all the caps.  So the damage bonuses are really valuable, getting around the caps and allowing the Barbarian to do 1HKO with those weapons, for example.  Same thing with Deshavi's Bow and the Mourn Bow; they no longer become useless at high levels, because they have high damage bonuses, rather than high base damage.

I feel that while it's realistic for, say, King Ragnar to get pwned by your armies easily while he rides towards your Missile Army of Dewm, it's just not dramatically interesting and doesn't fit the way the mod works, where you're frequently running around with the Companions stacked to the sky (at least, that's how I generally play).  I have not had to fight a real duel with an enemy Lord or King, ever.  My armies always take them out for me.  It lacks drama.
--xenoargh, OP

Maybe you could implement the pre-battle duel like in Sword of Damocles:Warlords. Right before battle you can have one of your companions duel the enemy leader or you can fight him yourself. If you win the duel the enemies' morale takes a hit, same if you or your companion dies your armys' morale takes a hit. I think it would be interesting in Blood and steel in particular because the lords a generally much stronger than in other mods. Great mod btw I've really enjoyed playing, its a lot more fun than most mods.

madmaximillian said:
--xenoargh, OP

Maybe you could implement the pre-battle duel like in Sword of Damocles:Warlords. Right before battle you can have one of your companions duel the enemy leader or you can fight him yourself. If you win the duel the enemies' morale takes a hit, same if you or your companion dies your armys' morale takes a hit. I think it would be interesting in Blood and steel in particular because the lords a generally much stronger than in other mods. Great mod btw I've really enjoyed playing, its a lot more fun than most mods.

This would be awesome =D

As for the golems, I personally don't do the kiting trick, I simply hold my archers in a line in the front and let them pound em as they march towards my lines, they usually never make it to the front lines, but I also play with battle size at 750, so I generally field at least 200 archers, run that in front of a pack of 100 golems, they go down nicely =]

Great mod with an interesting setting. I like the way how you can set up large battles without lag: thanks to battlesizer, I can see more than 500 units in a battle. It simply feels great to lead such an army ...

... just to get raped by an undead horde on normal a few ingame days later. Aren't they supposed to spawn in "Mommy" only? Or, if they have to spawn, shouldn't they be a lot weaker? Right now the entire map is infested by somewhat of 20 bigger hordes, eating through everything Calradi has to offer and I can't see any way to defeat them. Scouts, Remnants and smaller groups of Golems can be taken down, thanks to superior numbers, the big hordes are impossible to defeat for me, even if I can field twice as many troops as they have. Biggest issue are their shooters - they're damn accurate. The Death Knights don't go down as well (well, at least they're fun to fight). Why can't we have good ol' armies of skeletons :wink:

Well, besides the issue with those dead hordes, it's extremely fun to build up a large army and feel invincible. It's not the case, of course. If the lords had a chance to survive more than a day, they'd might be challenging in the field.

Guess I should go for masses of Templars ...

Back
Top Bottom