Prophesy of Pendor Version 3.0 Status Update

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
I was not telling him to get lost, merely that SD will say when he is ready to enlist beta testers.  Our first beta, last I heard, will be mostly an in-house beta test on the Dev Forum.  For PoP 2, SD put a notice on the PoP Forum recruiting beta testers, so I expect he will do the same again, when he is ready for more testers.  I also thanked him for his offer to beta test.  (We also have some beta testers lined up already, for testing specific areas of the game, so we can cover more ground faster and more thoroughly when testing initially.)
Well thanks for an answer your highness. :grin:

I just wanted to say that you guys are amazing and have truly created a work of art. In my opinion PoP is what M&B should have been. I'd even go as far to say this: my theory is I spend 1$ per hour I play any game. So buy this if I pay 59.99 for a new game i beat in 10 hours with no replay value I was ripped off. On the other hand I've played PoP for probably 80-120 hours and still it is new and exciting. So do the math. This is a  $120 value for free in my book. Heck, I think freelance unfunded modders like yourselves are the unsung heroes of the gaming world. Amazing world, great new items, wonderful depth, brilliant characters and unrivaled fun, that is what PoP is. Please keep up the awesome work guys. 5/5

We all thank you very much, Paladin, for your praise of Prophesy of Pendor and are glad you are having fun!  It is always nice when someone takes the time to post something so positive about the game, and we all appreciate it.

I quite agree with both your cost vs. hours of play and replay valuation of many games.  (I just about threw my Awakenings CD at the wall after ripping through it in no time!) 

Modders like Saxondragon with huge visions (though SD was also a professional game designer) and the ability to turn those visions into a mod are indeed the unsung heroes of the gaming world.  As you say, many games owe a great deal to them, as it is by and large the modders who keep up players' interest in a game once they have played through it.  M&B, being a sandbox game, held my interest for a long time, but it is the mods that have kept me playing it over the years.  With guys like Saxondragon and the rest of his modding team working on it, you are going to see Prophesy of Pendor 3 hit new and very exciting levels.

Is it too early to estimate a release date? I'm sure a lot of people are wondering when this amazing sequel will be revealed!

I would just like to say that this mod is a complete work of art. The story is fascinating and the way it is put into the world for you to shape it is just amazing. No matter what everytime I play M&B I end up playing this mod, even when I get tired of playing it for hours upon hours I still come back just because it is so amazing. Great job all of you guys, it really is just an amazing mod and hell I think it is almost a completely new game in and of itself. 5/5

Foso said:
I would just like to say that this mod is a complete work of art. The story is fascinating and the way it is put into the world for you to shape it is just amazing. No matter what everytime I play M&B I end up playing this mod, even when I get tired of playing it for hours upon hours I still come back just because it is so amazing. Great job all of you guys, it really is just an amazing mod and hell I think it is almost a completely new game in and of itself. 5/5

Hello Foso,

Thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated.

Best regards,

Saxondragon

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
We noticed that a lot of people were curious about a release date.  Oft-repeated answer: When it is done and SD is happy with the quality, and not before.

shame more modders aint like this

mr48 said:
Another quick question: Will there be a limit on the number of times you can upgrade your honor troops in PoP 3.0?

I hope so, because its just way too tempting and when you do it the game becomes too easy. It s pretty game-breaking.

Edit: Perhaps remove the honor troop upgrading completely.

Edit 2: Or maybe make the renown point cost of training them increase exponentially with every 10,000 dinar upgrade. This way you can keep making them unstoppable killing machines but soon you will almost not be able to train any new ones unless you fight epic battles every day.

Making Honor troops will be much more difficult and you will not have as many... top tier troops will be scarce in Pop 3.0.  The underlying reason is the introduction of two types of recruits.. regular recruits and Noble recruits.  The latter only available if you own a castle or town.   

Best,

Saxondragon

saxondragon said:
Making Honor troops will be much more difficult and you will not have as many... top tier troops will be scarce in Pop 3.0.  The underlying reason is the introduction of two types of recruits.. regular recruits and Noble recruits.  The latter only available if you own a castle or town.   

Best,

Saxondragon

Wow! (No NOT World of Borecraft!! :wink: )
Just when I think, "It will be really hard to top 2.x." you drop another tidbit! Really looking forward to this, and I don't mind the wait for it to meet your standards! PoP has consistently been my favorite mod since it was first downloadable. Thank you sincerely for all the hard work, and all the patience to put up w/ the ... um ... "less than mature" to keep the quality and story line so great.

@OldGreyBeard:
Your Avatar will need a drooling tonge half a meter long once you can enjoy PoP 3.0. All the nice new things - awesome.
All I need to do is wait for the next volcano errupting and keeping up the air traffic for a week or so and I can avoid our evil Head Manager of Applied Security and slip a few more confident details about it  :mrgreen:

@Gariopter:
Young Noble Adventurers will pretty certainly be kept ingame, but they won´t be upgraded to anything else but Heroic Adventurers anymore. The abilty to pimp your honor troops to sexy shoed gods of war though won´t be available anymore. Which is the right thing to do.

The conecpt SD mentioned is similar to the recruitment of top units in eg. Hundred Years War mod or Rux XIII - certain units are available only at certain places. E.g. to recruit basic grunts of the noble upgrade tree you´ll have to own a magnificent town or at least a decent stronghold otherwise it´s just basic junk troopers.

Hmm... now if the amount of noble recruits was linked to reknown too.... Time for the Dev Forum.

An erupting volcano will seem as nothing, my dear friend noosers, if you spill secrets about PoP 3 . . .XX, Fawzia
(The renown suggestion is a good one - see you on the Dev Forum.)

That business with being able to upgrade honor troops to superman status was nonsense anyhow - it totally trashed the balance of game combat after Player did it - nobody could defeat you or even put up a half decent fight, which got boring.

Apropos the Dev Forum, here is good news:  SD has finished up his RL jobs for the moment and rejoins us on the Dev Forum today, hooray!  Due to superhuman effort on the part of MadVader, (Edit: everybody should say many thanks to him, not just those of us on the Dev Team, but all of you who are waiting for PoP 3 - he has made a much earlier release date a possibility!)  we have vast amounts of new things in the game in a playable test version which is mostly debugged, as MV and I pulled a weekend marathon on testing, too.  All was uploaded for SD yesterday evening, EST, so he can check it out today.

noosers said:
Hmm... now if the amount of noble recruits was linked to reknown too.... Time for the Dev Forum.

Hope it is. Player's party structure will resemble lords ones. Fighting with lords won't be a boring formality but a mater of middgame or at least close to it and taking down special spawns will go to end game. Sweet!
Hm...taking first outpost of my kingdom relying only on mercenaries... tough task, hope I can figure a way to rescue 20 noldors.

Big thanks to MadVader and to Dev Team.

I do like the limiting of top tier troops, as long as it doesn't become too much like Native Expansion in that regard. All of these updates on progress and features sure have me excited.

webspinnre said:
I do like the limiting of top tier troops, as long as it doesn't become too much like Native Expansion in that regard. All of these updates on progress and features sure have me excited.

I think they will be a significant improvement over what is out now.  I am working on implementing the "house toops" for the various main lords of each faction now.

Imagine that:
You have to pay attention to the various Lords now as some of them will have unique troops that only "That particular lord" trains or.. "that a particular lord" has a strong tendency toward a particular type of troop.

For example Sarleon:
We may have a Duke that has prefers Heavy Armored Longbowmen.. 80% of his troop mix is always this troop type.

Another Sarleon Lord may have a house troop of "Avendor Longbow Foot Knights"..where we have 20 or so Plate mailed knights with Longbows that show up only with that particular lord. 

The idea is to bring forth more of the personality of the individual Lords in how they are perceived by the player during play and to create more variance.. hence difficulty.. in the game.  We have a penchant to generalize the various lords and do not pay attention much to them as individuals.  This forces us to pay attention as now a lord is not a lord is not a lord...

The additional troops will not be trainable, and likley not capturable.

Also expect more unique "easter eggs".. those hidden little things that make the game fun...and provide interesting benefits.

Best,

Saxondragon

And the really nasty, nasty thing about that special lord troops should be the reason they appear on top of the troop roster...

At least that´s what I hope. As well as a sorting of AI troops with the highest levelled on top. Be it unique spawn, town, castle or AI lord. (And thus increasing the total level of difficulty by 100%).

saxondragon said:
The idea is to bring forth more of the personality of the individual Lords in how they are perceived by the player during play and to create more variance.. hence difficulty.. in the game.  We have a penchant to generalize the various lords and do not pay attention much to them as individuals.  This forces us to pay attention as now a lord is not a lord is not a lord...

That sounds really, really cool.  It's one of my main beefs with the current state of M&B (incl. Warband) - the extant NPCs are basically cookie-cutter repetitions of three or four templates (nationality + "Hates being captured and released" or "Thanks you for releasing him").

The additional troops will not be trainable, and likley not capturable.

Just a quick question on what this means.  I think you're saying that, ferinstance, the player will not be able to train up "Duke So-and-so's House Guardsmen" (a notional improvement on a heavy-infantry troop line specific to Duke So-and-so).  When you say "not capturable," do you mean that you can't knock them out and sell them into slavery, or do you mean that you can't recruit them into your party from your prisoner pool?

All of this concentrated awesome being taken into account, however, it looks like PoP 3.0 really needs to be migrated into Warband, if for no other reason than to eliminate the hard cap on troop types in the player's party. :grin:

As an aside, while Warband single player is fun, all the while I'm playing it I keep thinking, "It's nice that they added [this] to the base game, but I was doing this in PoP last year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom