Prophecy of Pendor, a lesson in writing

Users who are viewing this thread

Sorry but your correction does not hold up. Warband makes you choose a family background too. The freedom is literally the same, and even in Bannerlord is the same thing, the difference in Bannerlord is that you see them in the screen, see, the three games are built on the same concept, you decide on your parents, your childhood, your adolescence and your present.

This is wrong too. First of all, you don't forcefully start as the heir of the throne, that's just a char screen option you can choose from (the one that says that you recieve a letter that changes your life), the other choices don't force this upon you. As I've said before the three build the same concept, but the difference is that both Warband and Pendor do not give you a present family and in Pendor you start roaming around in the map, and you basically can just skip every part of the chat creation and do your own thing, meanwhile in Bannerlord, you have like 2 brothers and a sister and a whole clan, so I don't know how do you call this freedom, I do not like being forced to be with people I don't know at all, and apparently with a clan with a banner even if you choose to be a poor dude from the wilds.

I took part in the development of PoP and discussed with the author about the lore and future for PoP for many times so your "no" "no" are just pointless arguements.

I guess you didn't really read the little story of the begining of Pendor right?
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-history-and-tales-of-pendor-backstory.54010/
Why write the story of a couple of noldor twins from thousand years ago? What does the sentence
There were very lengthy dialogues between Althea and the Oracle about countering and defeating this influence in the world and about the sons of Avaldain, who, being part Elf and part Human, had a chance to ultimately put an end to the Sindari influence on the world of Pendor.
means? And you ever try to know who is the women speak to the player after character created?

The simple answer is player is just roleplaying the heir of the Ancient Noldor twins, also the heir of the First King of Pendor, pick the letter or not doesn't matter the "blood" of player's character, he/she is always the last heir, letter just revealed the truth at the begining of the adventure. And that "Sir Darlion of Pendor" is a cousin of player character, which is not the true Heir but hold the responsibilty of the player character so "you" have the chance to freely begining as noone. So yeah in PoP you started with a brother too, just you can not even recruit without a stupid claimant quest.

So PoP is less sandbox a bit than Warband or Bannerlord, it's a story where you need to unite the Whole Land and not supported to have roguo-like or badass roleplays, it will be the core path of PoP, in Warband or Bannerlord version.

The advantage of PoP is quality, variety and lore, not freedom, in this mod you MUST be friendly with some green people enjoying shooting your ass to acheive "victory", in this you mod CANNOT be friend with badass Heretic black knights as the system will decrease them to negative by force. Then freedom is not a pure advantage, sometimes freedom and randomness results characters being soulless, bannerlord uses random spawned companions, that's a bit more freedom than PoP's designed companions, but do you really like those random companions in bannerlord than those designed companions in PoP? at least for me bannerlord companions are just high tier units not living friends like those in PoP or even Warband native.

Again it's pointless using a mod base on former series ****ting the current developing game, no moders like you use their work from love to spread hates to original games. PoP is a low fantasy traditional knight adventure story, you cannot really expect bannerlord using PoP designs expect some QoL implements, and AFAIR Bannerlord do has more convenient QoL comparing with PoP.

Last edited:
So the question stands. Was Warband really good in your mind without mods ? Second do you really think that they ment that they are happy with the game as its "happy in an finished state type of ?", Third: Do you personally think that this state that its in is almost finished right now ?
However there is some stuff in game they shouldn't be happy about though, which they already said they are trying to fix

Dont get me wrong....Im also down for an epic in depth written game like ex Kotor once where, which is hard to see these days. But we have to be resonable asw to be an follow up to Warband, which ofc needs more features to get to but its not like its an whole new game production just for that.
Heck they are even in the making of rebellions and perhaps alliances now that the crowd wanted which wasnt in Warband vanilla
More good combat maps are needed to and i hope they are working on a solution to that
And here is someone that share my point. I played warband 3 weeks without mods and what? Nearly the same as bannerlord.

Last edited:
Guys, remember, Bannerlord is still not finished... Of course we all know that extrapolating the work TW has done in the last 7 months means not THAT much will be done in the remaining EA time, but maybe they will extend EA. We don't know yet, so 99% of this conversation is speculation.

And I don't mean to invalidate anyone's opinion or argument, but this is a fact.

maybe but your comment just smacks of denial and rage and he does not advance the debate
Ignore him, that dude is just on a spree to insult every single person on this forum that does not agree with him or participates in his spam thread about his "religion soon".
Oh and he also insults everyone who does not insult me. He has the mental capacity of a 6 year old. And logic seems to scare him

But @Op yea mods seem to be that this game can gain any real depth so far.

Thanks, you´re awesome!

cyresdog said:
ngl, that made me giggle knowing how often i read your user tag as muted
For some reason i have 0 points as far as i know, and i did everything in the book,
insulted, tagged moderators and TW staff for no reason other to **** with them, complained about the game, spammed,
****posted etc. Imagine being as incompetent as the moderators on these forums. Mankind would still try to figure out
how fire works

See, a real pro gamer move would've been to properly quote or report that so it could be verified. We could also check to see if something was done about it when it was first posted. We're not too keen on dredging up the past and repeatedly punishing people for the same incident here.

Hey look, there it is. Over a month old at this point, though. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-how-to-become-an-emperor.432432/post-9552507

See, a real pro gamer move would've been to properly quote or report that so it could be verified. We could also check to see if something was done about it when it was first posted. We're not too keen on dredging up the past and repeatedly punishing people for the same incident here.

Hey look, there it is. Over a month old at this point, though. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-how-to-become-an-emperor.432432/post-9552507
yes sorry but i cant resist this guy since he tried to threaten me the other day ^^ its just a thing xD ill try to keep an open mind on him but if he continues....i cant make an promise

So the question stands. Was Warband really good in your mind without mods ? Second do you really think that they ment that they are happy with the game as its "happy in an finished state type of ?", Third: Do you personally think that this state that its in is almost finished right now ?
However there is some stuff in game they shouldn't be happy about though, which they already said they are trying to fix

Dont get me wrong....Im also down for an epic in depth written game like ex Kotor once where, which is hard to see these days. But we have to be resonable asw to be an follow up to Warband, which ofc needs more features to get to but its not like its an whole new game production just for that.
Heck they are even in the making of rebellions and perhaps alliances now that the crowd wanted which wasnt in Warband vanilla
More good combat maps are needed to and i hope they are working on a solution to that
Warband was a good game, but after a few hours you realize how much it was missing hence why mods were needed. But you have to consider that WB was made by a few people 10 years ago, where as BL is being made by around 100. The production value and the amount of content both should increase. While visuals, music and a few other areas like combat are better other areas aren't really any better than WB in fact there are many things that just aren't in the game that were in WB. We've seen a few additions to BL, but even those additions aren't finished and they cause more frustrations, than they add. I believe that TW will eventually get there but at the pace we've been going I have to ask how long and what will be in the base game? Right now BL is a shell and the more I play the more I realize it could and should be so much more.

yes sorry but i cant resist this guy since he tried to threaten me the other day ^^ its just a thing xD
Again i did not threaten you, i was just gonna point out that your Real Life name and your real E-Mail adress is openly visible for everyone. That is not threatening, that is just you being paranoid about me.

And honestly, at this point you start to get on my nerves, it could have been that i have not absolutely nice to you, but it starts to get annoying that every single time i read your name in a thread that i post in is you insulting me.

Again i did not threaten you, i was just gonna point out that your Real Life name and your real E-Mail adress is openly visible for everyone. That is not threatening, that is just you being paranoid about me.

And honestly, at this point you start to get on my nerves, it could have been that i have not absolutely nice to you, but it starts to get annoying that every single time i read your name in a thread that i post in is you insulting me.
And you mentioned it out from the blue to ^^ stop playing dumb

I took part in the development of PoP and discussed with the author about the lore and future for PoP for many times so your "no" "no" are just pointless arguements.

I guess you didn't really read the little story of the begining of Pendor right?
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-history-and-tales-of-pendor-backstory.54010/
Why write the story of a couple of noldor twins from thousand years ago? What does the sentence

means? And you ever try to know who is the women speak to the player after character created?

The simple answer is player is just roleplaying the heir of the Ancient Noldor twins, also the heir of the First King of Pendor, pick the letter or not doesn't matter the "blood" of player's character, he/she is always the last heir, letter just revealed the truth at the begining of the adventure. And that "Sir Darlion of Pendor" is a cousin of player character, which is not the true Heir but hold the responsibilty of the player character so "you" have the chance to freely begining as noone. So yeah in PoP you started with a brother too, just you can not even recruit without a stupid claimant quest.

So PoP is less sandbox a bit than Warband or Bannerlord, it's a story where you need to unite the Whole Land and not supported to have roguo-like or badass roleplays, it will be the core path of PoP, in Warband or Bannerlord version.

The advantage of PoP is quality, variety and lore, not freedom, in this mod you MUST be friendly with some green people enjoying shooting your ass to acheive "victory", in this you mod CANNOT be friend with badass Heretic black knights as the system will decrease them to negative by force. Then freedom is not a pure advantage, sometimes freedom and randomness results characters being soulless, bannerlord uses random spawned companions, that's a bit more freedom than PoP's designed companions, but do you really like those random companions in bannerlord than those designed companions in PoP? at least for me bannerlord companions are just high tier units not living friends like those in PoP or even Warband native.

Again it's pointless using a mod base on former series ****ting the current developing game, no moders like you use their work from love to spread hates to original games. PoP is a low fantasy traditional knight adventure story, you cannot really expect bannerlord using PoP designs expect some QoL implements, and AFAIR Bannerlord do has more convenient QoL comparing with PoP.
However, freedom is not the main subject on this thread, it's the writing, and it's the immersive lore and how it's presented. And even if you're the heir of the throne, it's still gives you a chance of doing your own path rather than being driven by your boring siblings shenanigans.

but do you really like those random companions in bannerlord than those designed companions in PoP? at least for me bannerlord companions are just high tier units not living friends like those in PoP or even Warband native.
Not sure where you got this from, I have always despised random characters, as one of the things I love from PoP is that everyone has a name, even the travellers and slave traders, something I LOVE because it gives these people an identity and their names are cool as heck, like "Corum Of Brey"

you cannot really expect bannerlord using PoP designs expect some QoL implements, and AFAIR Bannerlord do has more convenient QoL comparing with PoP.
Again, this thread is called "a lesson in writing" not "a lesson in QoL". I'm making a critique of the emptyness of the world in Bannerlord that's damaged because of a lack of writing, and then I grab a mod with a fantastic immersive setting thanks on how it presents it's characters, lore and events to show it can be done better in a Mount and Blade game, because even if it is a low fantasy mod it's still a Mount and Blade experience. In fact, you could grab the whole heir to the throne subject aside, play this as a sandbox game and the experience would almost remain untouched. That's where I put my focus on, I don't know why you're trying to derail the conversation to other places. Besides, I'm not ****ting on the game, I'm criticizing it, something quite different, and something I will continue doing until things change (at least not on the main quest though, I do think the main quest is poorly written and poorly set up, I doubt the devs will change anything about that, but the main quest is just part of the issue and there's a lot of work to be done in other places, as I've already mentioned in the thread). As I've said, this critique is more than fair.

Guys, remember, Bannerlord is still not finished... Of course we all know that extrapolating the work TW has done in the last 7 months means not THAT much will be done in the remaining EA time, but maybe they will extend EA. We don't know yet, so 99% of this conversation is speculation.

And I don't mean to invalidate anyone's opinion or argument, but this is a fact.
You're trying to invalidate opinions and arguments. A fact is a fact, what you think and do about it is something completely different. We all know its in development. You're argument against me criticizing the poor writing in Bannerlord is "they're working on it" ? I knew that already, its still doesnt changes that the current writing in this game is bad, what I'm trying to do here is give feedback and critique, I'm sorry if my language is not all fancy and beautiful but I think you would criticize my thread even if I didnt talked bad about Bannerlord's writing like I did here. So if you're going to come to this thread just to say "they're working on it" you might as well dont post anything because you're just derailing the point of the thread, which is the current writing in Bannerlord, if you have nothing to say about that, then good luck and goodbye.

Last edited:
It really is one major key Bannerlord is missing.

I basically have to do my own backstory every playthrough and create my own story as I skip all the bland generic dialogue/quests provided by the actual game itself.

Hopefully this is something they'll correct towards the end of development, but to be honest I'd prefer some good overhaul mods like GoT.

I agree with the OP. In order for Bannerlord to feel remotely finished it needs to be better than the Prophesy of Pendor, Persino, Sword of Damocles, Tohloboria & others. There are missing generic parties such as the deserter parties, man-hunters and town patrols.

Dead-end Talk.
There are too many dead ends in the games dialogue. The player should be able to ask NPCs many questions that are missing from Bannerlord that are present in Warband and its mods. The player should be able to get more information about the game world and what is going on in it. The player should also be able to tell NPCs what to do as he/she gets more powerful and the NPCs should be able to make the player do the same thing to the player.

Automated Tasks.
There should more types of named NPCs like Castellans, senechals and other administrators in a king's court to automate many things in the game.

Other stuff.
Notables and companions could do more in the game maybe the player could raise up such NPCs to nobility with consequences and benefits. PoP has the knight hood orders something like this could be in Bannerlord and a form of creating custom units.

However, freedom is not the main subject on this thread, it's the writing, and it's the immersive lore and how it's presented.
You put this in your OP:
I don't care about any of these people, I don't want them in my life, what if I want to create my own story and my own background??? No, the game forces your hand to deal with these boring people and their lives, so the only way to approach the game is to be the dude with dead parents and kidnapped family, incredible writing wow 10/9.

The main thing I took away from it was that you didn't like having siblings or the main quest in the game. The complaints about writing issues specifically were pretty thin, so I'm guessing you meant plotting instead?

Back
Top Bottom