Prophecy of Pendor, a lesson in writing

Users who are viewing this thread

Revverie

I've downloaded Prophesy of Pendor after not playing for a few years, and holy crap dude, the campaign of that mod it's so much better than Bannerlord, if you made me choose between them I would def stick with PoP. Why? Because after playing Bannerlord for some hours I feel like there is nothing else they can offer me, just the same experience but with a different color and troop type, and Bannerlord greatest problem it's the writing, or to phrase it better: the lack of writing.

One could say PoP's advantage is that they're in a magical setting where a lot of stuff can happen (such as heretics and demonic parties) and I would say, yes but partially, it's not only just the interesting lore, but how it is presented.

Let's compare how Bannerlord inserts you into the game to PoP.

In BL you create your character, and all of a sudden, you have a brother? Your parents are dead and your other siblings kidnapped? What writing is this? Don't they know giving the player a family in an RPG where you create your own story its a TERRIBLE idea? I don't care about any of these people, I don't want them in my life, what if I want to create my own story and my own background??? No, the game forces your hand to deal with these boring people and their lives, so the only way to approach the game is to be the dude with dead parents and kidnapped family, incredible writing wow 10/9.

PoP asks you who you want to be with soo numerous and well written choices, and then it throws you to the game to find your own way, instead of grabbing the players' hand to guide them in the saaaaame main quest all the time. And the choices are cool and meaningful, because you can go and be a nobody, a trader, a medic, a dude running away from bandits, and what you choose here matters, for example, I'd you start as a forgotten heir of the throne of Pendor it means you will be hated by Sarleon, you get chased by very powerful assassins and you will be hated by some Knighthoods that will make you be careful around the main map. See, now you got some variation, and the choices you've made matter and will make the game feel different, and you get the grasp of this without a single line of dialog, this is ironically better writing.

Lore pt1: Getting into the world.

The only way to get lore and an insight of the world in Bannerlord is........ The main quest. Yeah. Some information dump here, some information dump there, yeah ok, I was forced to do a tour around the world talking to Kings and Lords, and this is the funniest crap ever, because you can go as a trashy peasent, aproach a man with a 500 men army and ask nicely about the events of the world. C'mon, am I the only one who thinks this is very, very stupid? What kind of Gary Stu/Mary Sue are we that the ****ing ruler of a Kingdom will just stop what they're doing to tell us, a random dude wearing rags in the middle of the field, the current events of the world?? what were they thinking??? And that's it. There is no more "interesting" writing, unless you compare the random companions with generic stories the game even encourages you to skip interesting or even, writing. Now let's go back to PoP, there is lore everywhere, it's just all over the place, and it's not just flavor text, you can see that what you write makes sense to what you encounter in the map. You can pay 10 denars to travellers and slave traders and they will tell you stories about the world, not everything is interesting, but you can learn about knighthoods, bandits, little events, and the player feels encouraged to read these because sometimes it will lead to a treasure hunt. You can encounter Knights in taverns that will give you an insight of their Knighthoods (more on this later), you can talk with Keep servants for more stories, news and current events, and the companions, that compared to the boring and ironically repetitve, randomized but generic companions of Bannerlord, they've got good stories, Soldiers from the other side of the world, former Knights, traders, people with good stories hauling from all over the place that give you more info on what you can encounter on the world.

Lore pt2: Knighthoods vs Minor clans

Playing this make me think, man, is Taleworlds devoid of ideas? Because Knighthoods are almost the same concept, but Knighthood destroy minor clans and put them to shame.

See, minor clans are basically mercenary companies and... That's it, they're just mercenaries with flavor units, and they will go around looting towns and being part of armies and yeah that's it. Knighthoods, on the other hand have allegiances to their respective factions but not only that, they feel like they have an objective in the world other than looting towns and fighting with armies, and they aren't just some dudes with men, sometimes they're little parties chasing bandits and heretics or engaging fights with rival Knighthoods, and destroying the players if they're not careful enough (who, and who doesn't hate you it's affected on your choices when you start the game). And more key differences is that you can encounter Knights in taverns and learn more about their orders, and you can actually aid them to gain their support and access to their actually exclusive gear (afaik you can just shop minor clans gear in BL, but correct me if I'm wrong) but this will mean you'll get hated by their rivals, making the game feel dynamic and that your choices have consequences. And well, how can I forget you can actually make your own Knighthood of elite units, I mean, dude, how cool that?

Lore pt3: Bandits

Holy crap, did Bannerlord fell short in this. The amount of enemies you can encounter in PoP is amazing, bandits, sometimes rogue knights, sometimes cultists, demons, horse raiders, but they just don't exist on their own because they're accompanied by a very interesting lore you can learn about (like I've said before) talking with travellers and counselors, too! And yes, some of them are too fictional like the demons to have a counterpart of it in Bannerlord, but man, seeing massive armies of baddies ****ing up towns that require your effort to kill -to the point of gathering armies so you actually have the number to fight them -gives you a sense of grandiosity you can't even find in Bannerlord. And not only that, in early game you're a just a small turd and it SHOWS, because these parties will destroy you and the best you can do if you find parties like this is run away as fast as you can, and when you can win you feel like you deserve it, and the effort of killing them is VERY rewarding because the loot is more than great, amazing armours, gear you just can't get elsewhere, gold bars, loot boxes to sell, qualis gems... but then in Bannerlord... the worse threat you can get is a dude with rags that spawns the same in the whole map... Exciting... Instead of being an amazing encounters you need to win with effort, you just send the troops to destroy them so you can get ez crappy loot so you can forge 1000 swords and craft a bankrupt maker javelin.

There are other little details, for example, a moment where player renown matters: You can't join tournaments if you're a nobody, which means you can't cheese the prizes and money you get from tournaments in early game, but there are so many other choices it doesn't feel like it matters and in fact this improves the experience, you have to grow into being somebody, instead of grinding into being somebody
Other detail: Mercenaries in this game are cool too, there are so many variations you can find in taverns, like foreign mercenaries, or adventurers, old knights, etc.

TL,DR: PoP is a dynamic world with high attention to detail that give a replayable experience thanks to a well written and well exposed setting.

This is a generic backstory!

Stuff like this happens when you want to make the next Medieval Battlefield/Call of Duty :smile:

I mean, why even talk to any person in this game right now when it´s not related to a quest?

In 2 years, we´ll have stuff like PoP.

Let them fix/add the basics and let do modders do the rest, that´s the best we can hope for. Immersion? LOL!

4mdlyp.jpg

Last edited:
Its a shame that these modders dont do games of their own since its needed at these times and would sell to since the gaming industry is larger by far then Hollywood ever where :smile: but to be fair Hollowood was just one country

Its a shame that these modders dont do games of their own since its needed at these times and would sell to since the gaming industry is larger by far then Hollywood ever where :smile: but to be fair Hollowood was just one country
I don´t think that most of them can really programm and create a new engine. A lot of them are very good in some specific parts (scripts/assests/whatever).

But it´s also not their job. They also do the stuff they do in their spare time for free.

It´s the job of any game company to create a working game if they demand any price for it. But only 4-5 months until Bannerlord is "finished" and all issues are fixed, at least it was released in march if I remember correct? And it will leave EA after around 1 year or? :smile:

So we should expect a lot of stuff in the next months and not only those minor updates and hotfixes according to their claim? Like unique scenes for each town / working AI / balanced economy / all perks working and so on?

Last edited:
I don´t think that most of them can really programm and create a new engine. A lot of them are very good in some specific parts (scripts/assests/whatever).

But it´s also not their job. They also do the stuff they do in their spare time for free.

It´s the job of any game company to create a working game if they demand any price for it. But only 4-5 months until Bannerlord is "finished" and all issues are fixed, at least it was released in march if I remember correct? And it will leave EA after around 1 year or? :smile:

So we should expect a lot of stuff in the next months and not only those minor updates and hotfixes according to their claim? Like unique scenes for each town / working AI / balanced economy / all perks working and so on?
Thought i read something like when i bought this game: "we are planning to have it released in about an year or more" I didnt thought for one second reading it that they wanted an year to be carved in stone. Sure some may have opinions in their working methods but im not working there either as well as dont know how it really is to make a full game. But i also see alot of time wasted on different unessasery tweaks and stuff the community wants but hey were working on a better middle so its all good in the neighborhood.....

However i do know that hard code programming can be a ***** at times since the slightest miss can **** you up for a good amount of time trying to figure out why

What happened to the guy that was hired to do the writing for Bannerlord? Did he work for a few hours and then move on?
I have to guesses about the writers in this game:
1. They're people that never played videogames or played too little and have 0 ideas on how to immerse players with lore
2. They have ideas but Taleworlds chooses on what to develop and doesn't take account of it and makes them focus on writing quests and little dialogs

I think the writing team is a mix of both, and I think the team is a very, very little one, but this is all guesses. My main problem with the writing is quite explained in this thread, starting the game in this game is terrible, and why I think the writers never played a videogame before, I will explain it below

It's a HUGE mistake to force a player to care about a family in a sandbox RPG "be who you want to be" type of game, it's a terrible way to give the player motivation, because it's a very fictional one since families are people you know since you're born, when you're presented a brother it's imposible to click with that person because you're supposed to know and care for him, but obviously , you don't at all, you just met him. it's also a cliche in medieval stories that is just very dated and uncreative. That's why for example Fallout New Vegas is so good compared to Fallout 3 and 4 stories, because they make you have a family and all the possibilities that can happen in the players mind get narrowed into 1. Who is your brother should be the players decision, not the game. Guys this is a Mount and Blade game, a game where built on your own adventures and experiences, a game that got popular for not forcing a story upon the player but instead to let the player choose it's own path, the conflict of telling the player be who you want but we will choose your family and background is an incredible contradiction and a failure to grasp the game's success.
Yes, Prophesy of Pendor makes you choose starting points but they're not just 1, and they don't set things into stone for you. They let you run free with just that, a starting point.

Why I think they lack ideas or that Taleworlds is explicitly not letting them work around ideas is based on the lack of lore obtained through gameplay, in the lack of character that characters have in general, in the lack of interesting encounters that make the game meaningful. Many people disagree with me, but for me random characters generated each playthrough is definitely what killed this game and made it boring and stale. Many people argue that you would always get the same characters, but what is worse, known characters with known but good backstories and clear motivations and attitudes, or random generic people with blank minds that change their names over different playthroughs? Besides, I can't start to imagine the amount of work out into writing backstories for random people, since they have to be SO MANY, they will obviously will get boring, repetitive and utterly generic, you can't just write 80 characters and not repeat ideas or make them uninentersitng. And remember that mods like PoP get played so much and can be replayed over and over whereas Bannerlord is the same boring experience that makes the game forgetful.

Dialogue with tavern owner in Bannerlord:

Me: hello–

Bartender: I know nothing, go away.
Ah yes, taverns, the most dissapointing places in the game next to keeps, they just look fancy, if you want to get any direction on how to proceed in the early game it should be here, but it's a complete blank paper. Its hilarious talking to a taverner, ask him a question so just he can say nothing, I think the writer in charge of this had a writers block after writing 50 generic backstories

Last edited:
Yes PoP was amazing but there were quite a few other conversion mods that were incredible too. The other one that stands out in my mind for lore and making the game world come alive was a Clash of Kings (a song of fire and ice conversion mod). It added in so many just random areas that you could stumble upon. If you followed the main story you eventually were going to decide which side to follow (the Starks or the Lannisters or someone else) and eventually end up making enemies. And of course there was the whole storyline about the white walkers in there. I really loved that mod. I had about 300+ hours in it and I would've put in more if it didn't run like **** on my computer.
The more I play BL the more I realize it's an empty shell and TW doesn't seem intent or filling out more than the basics of the game. It could've been one of the best games ever, but instead we're going to get a good combat simulator with a small amount of background thrown in. :cry:

Thought i read something like when i bought this game: "we are planning to have it released in about an year or more" I didnt thought for one second reading it that they wanted an year to be carved in stone.
I thought so, but of course it was my mistake to believe them. I mean that this game will be finished according to TW standards in July 2021.

If I would have been aware that it is finished for 60% in 11/20...

Last edited:
Yes PoP was amazing but there were quite a few other conversion mods that were incredible too. The other one that stands out in my mind for lore and making the game world come alive was a Clash of Kings (a song of fire and ice conversion mod). It added in so many just random areas that you could stumble upon. If you followed the main story you eventually were going to decide which side to follow (the Starks or the Lannisters or someone else) and eventually end up making enemies. And of course there was the whole storyline about the white walkers in there. I really loved that mod. I had about 300+ hours in it and I would've put in more if it didn't run like **** on my computer.
The more I play BL the more I realize it's an empty shell and TW doesn't seem intent or filling out more than the basics of the game. It could've been one of the best games ever, but instead we're going to get a good combat simulator with a small amount of background thrown in. :cry:
I never played ACOK, I should give it a try, I think Taleworlds should have payed attention to all these ideas, Bannerlord should have had places to visit and incredible events, but whatever.

According to the people who looked at files there is alot of unused writing, even planned voice acting, but its all on hold until the devs finish the game.
I genuinely don't think the missing writing will substantially change the game into an actual immersive experience, probably just more main quest additions and such, which doesn't sound really interesting since the main quest is bad at it's core, look at the game now, there is no attention to the setting and it really seems it will stay this way. Its very hard that they would patch an immersion improvement since this is something you have to keep in mind at the first stages of creating a videogame, but I'm willing to hope, I'm more trusting on modders though

I loved PoP, i played more hours of that mod than on any normal game.
Things i liked and could benefit Bannerlord:
- the jatu, independent people atacking everybody in their Region.
- the deep lore, with parties from the outside World
- companions with good backstories
- the drunken People’s Rebellion
- knight orders
- the noldor
- the hunt for quelis gems

I loved PoP, i played more hours of that mod than on any normal game.
Things i liked and could benefit Bannerlord:
- the jatu, independent people atacking everybody in their Region.
- the deep lore, with parties from the outside World
- companions with good backstories
- the drunken People’s Rebellion
- knight orders
- the noldor
- the hunt for quelis gems
I think the fact that everything has a context and that you can learn about everything in non tedious gameplay is what makes this mod a complete experience. Everything that Warband needed was put into that mod IMO of course, and I expected a similar experience for Bannerlord, but Bannerlord is less than PoP sadly, if I had to choose between one or the other I think the answer is quite clear

Stuff like this happens when you want to make the next Medieval Battlefield/Call of Duty :smile:

I mean, why even talk to any person in this game right now when it´s not related to a quest?

In 2 years, we´ll have stuff like PoP.

Let them fix/add the basics and let do modders do the rest, that´s the best we can hope for. Immersion? LOL!

4mdlyp.jpg

To hear from you there are really ethical issues in the minds of some players like you. you imagine modders are the real developers of the game Bannerlord, that everything rests on them, Taleworlds have to do their part, it's not up to modders to make the game viable.
more precisely it is not supposed to be for only modders to do it

Last edited:
Sry does we compare now a early access game with a mod of a different/older game here?
It's like oblivion was better as skyrim because oblivion was more fleshed out... Than.. Morrowind was better as oblivion in terms of character development... and so on.

Yeah, I agree that there must something be done to make the game more unique and less a casual braindeads game, but do you think this is the right way? For myself it sounds to aggressive

Just a little correction, comparing with native warband, Pendor takes more on "family" and give less freedom for player's background and path, you feel POP better because there are more variety of minor factions and deep designs, but technically speaking POP doesn't support things like rogue style play.
Having a family at the begining(espcially those family members are created by you too) is a improve from warband, in warband your father only appears during the dialogue in character creation menu, and I wouldn't claim that as an advantage, nevertheless in Pendor you are technically roleplaying the last Heir of old royal house of pendor, that's a bit less freedom from bannerlord, though I prefer being a hidden prince than a random guy :fruity:

Bannerlord should be compared with warband, and that's almost 200% improvement, which gave our beloved PoP a even better platform to rebirth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom