Proper pronunciation for Swadia. Would appreciate an official response from devs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Guiden

Recruit
Heyo.

So I make some content on the M&B games and in the last couple of videos I commissioned some cool people to make some pseudo theme songs for some of the factions. I wanted to work on something Swadia related and that's when I hit my problem. I don't really know the official pronunciation of Swadia. I've always said it as Swa-di-a but I've been hearing a lot of Sway-di-a as of late.

I did a poll recently () and it was a resounding 81% of 5700 people say it's Swa-di-a but I've gotten a quite a few detailed comments on German/English pronunciation which makes me believe it's possibly the latter. Any official TW people can shed some light on this as I want to get it right.

Non-English names are not supposed to be pronounced as English words, you... Americans?
>Supposed to
imagine thinking english has any rules

I think at this point it's acknowledged that english will ruin the pronunciation of any word it encounters because there simply isn't a way to convey certain pronunciations without ambiguity. Any vowels in written English can be dipthongs and these monolingual morons usually have no idea that they're combining sounds.

Anyway its not like other langauges don't do this either. The fact that my home city can be called Reondeon, Londe or Londhíno is proof that language is an arbitrary fuzzy mess and Chomsky was right all along.

After i saw how the names where butchered in "Vikings", even with having swedish/danish/norwegian actors on board, swaydia doesen't surprise me whatsoever.

Any official TW people can shed some light on this as I want to get it right.
Languages always develop from the bottom up, not the top down. If most of the people are pronouncing it "SWAH-dee-uh", then that is the correct pronunciation for all intents and purposes and it doesn't matter what the official pronunciation is.

Engl*sh native speakers tend to say Sway-dia

People who speak other European languages (or pretty much anything that's not english) tend to say Swah-dia

I have heard (English) people say "Sway-dia", but thank God I don't say it like that! lol

After i saw how the names where butchered in "Vikings", even with having swedish/danish/norwegian actors on board, swaydia doesen't surprise me whatsoever.

Well most of them were given their Latinized or baptismal names, so they were at that point different names altogether, rather than their real names in their native tongue. For example, Lathgertha/Lagertha instead of Hlaðgerðr or Rollo from Hrólfr. You mean that?

Back
Top Bottom