Proper pronunciation for Swadia. Would appreciate an official response from devs!

Users who are viewing this thread

You mean that?
Not just that, that's not too bad and even sometimes good for the general audience (latinized), i meant the incorrect or sometimes even inconsistent (shifting back and forth between correct and incorrect) pronunciation.
Examples (copy/paste in google translate in english to listen) :
Ragnar - correct is Raagnar, not Rahgnar
Odin - correct is Uothin, not Owe din
Loki - correct is Luohkey, not Lowkey
Thor - correct is Torr, not that which sounds close to Four.
Most of those that have an "r" letter should be with a tapped/thrilled "r" , etc...
What baffles me in that series is the inconsistency that came out of mostly scandinavian actors pronouncing the names of people and places correctly, and the rest of the actors are just given a "pass" to continue misspronouncing them, directors haven't even tried to make them doing that. Lagertha ( Katheryn Winnick ) even goes back and forth calling her husband both Raagnar and Rahgnar several times even in one single episode, while also shifting between the tapped "r" and rhotic "r".

Not just that, that's not too bad and even sometimes good for the general audience (latinized), i meant the incorrect or sometimes even inconsistent (shifting back and forth between correct and incorrect) pronunciation.
Examples (copy/paste in google translate in english to listen) :
Ragnar - correct is Raagnar, not Rahgnar
Odin - correct is Uothin, not Owe din
Loki - correct is Luohkey, not Lowkey
Thor - correct is Torr, not that which sounds close to Four.
Most of those that have an "r" letter should be with a tapped/thrilled "r" , etc...
What baffles me in that series is the inconsistency that came out of mostly scandinavian actors pronouncing the names of people and places correctly, and the rest of the actors are just given a "pass" to continue misspronouncing them, directors haven't even tried to make them doing that. Lagertha ( Katheryn Winnick ) even goes back and forth calling her husband both Raagnar and Rahgnar several times even in one single episode, while also shifting between the tapped "r" and rhotic "r".

Oh, I see what you mean then. That bothered me as well, though probably not as much as I am not a Native speaker for any of them...just linguistically interested. lol

Some of the words and names seemed to be an amalgamation of modern Latinized pronunciation and Old Norse and various Scandinavian languages, such as your example with Odin. The show wanted to represent Old Norse, so I think they kept the [oː] but dropped the [ð], making /'ˈoːdinː/ instead of /ˈoːðinː/ or /ˈoʊdɪn/ even (combing sounds from both). Same thing with Thor, which saw the trilled /r/ drop to simpler rhotic consonant, because exotic linguistic sounds seem impossible for English speakers? lol

Why they thought doing this made sense, I have no idea, but I can only guess they did it to make it easier for western audiences to keep up with names and words, or even locations. Which is a shame. ?

Back
Top Bottom