Profanity filter …

Users who are viewing this thread

Where do you guys even get these ideas from? You do know you can disable the profanity filter on the forum, some of the mods do swear on occasion, and none of them are devs, right? Find another scapegoat to unload your frustration on.
I guess we get this idea from you implementing an unnecessary profanity filter when your game is not even a quarter complete on the multiplayer side of things. No one will enjoy your game more from this change, it is a neutral implementation at best and a disrespectful one at worst. Show less contempt for your fanbase and maybe they will respect you more.

Also your filter is broken through writing in caps lock

I guess we get this idea from you implementing an unnecessary profanity filter when your game is not even a quarter complete on the multiplayer side of things. No one will enjoy your game more from this change, it is a neutral implementation at best and a disrespectful one at worst. Show less contempt for your fanbase and maybe they will respect you more.
It is necessary, I have had players call me a bad name countless times. We need to build a safe, inclusive community if we want multiplayer to thrive. This sort of toxic rhetoric is why Mordhau and Chivraly 2 exceed us in players. This filter needs to be enabled by default and no option to turn it off to prevent hate speech such as racial slurs, homophobic remarks, and other bigotry.

I'm also in favor of the implementation of a checkbox in the game settings to turn the multiplayer censorship system aka "profanity filter" off.

As of now, it does more harm than good. When "harass" gets censored because it contains a word for "behind", countless other words get censored as well. At that point you can't even discuss battle tactics properly ("harass" for example is also a military term).

I would advise the developers to be very careful with censorship, it can always have negative gameplay effects.

Don't fall into the trap of the Age of Empires developers. The AoE multiplayer censorship system prevents players from using the word "Onager", a catapult in AoEII. Allegedly it contains a disguised slur when you remove the "O". This is highly questionable since a disguised slur that most people don't even recognize as such is not really a slur (for example I had never heard of it before). However the biggest problem is here that you cannot even use this important gameplay term since it prevents you from naming a game unit in chat.

If you are a moderator, I would appreciate if you could forward this to the developers.
If you are a developer, please consider my suggestions, modify the censorship and make the filter toggable.
If you are a user, please add your voice to mine and suggest a toggle as well as modification of the censorship system.

Thanks in advance.

people calling profanity filters censorship is peak NA, change my mind

IMO: fix basic issues (such as the harass example above), add a checkbox for mild/average swearing and just auto-filter racial slurs and the like, perhaps auto-mute for them.

Also your filter is broken through writing in caps lock
Again: wasn't any of the mods, buddy. I'm just a volunteer mod from Kansas, almost on the complete opposite side of the planet from Turkey. None of the mods are employees, contractors, or otherwise legally bound to TW in any way. Strictly volunteer here.

people calling profanity filters censorship is peak NA, change my mind
:iamamoron:

IMO: fix basic issues (such as the harass example above), add a checkbox for mild/average swearing and just auto-filter racial slurs and the like, perhaps auto-mute for them.
Not a bad idea. Auto-mute for a short list of racial slurs would be fine, but unfortunately there are a few instances where racial slurs coincidentally appear in other, innocuous words such as sniggered. A simplified substring approach doesn't avoid false-positives like this, and is also easily bypassed (as Blücher noted) with things like CAPSLOCK, s p a c i n g, and character subst!tutions.

I think auto-mute might be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth because of the few false positives, so I'd be more in favor of automatic reports to be reviewed by an actual person later and leave short-term solutions to vote kicks or client-side muting.

Last edited:
It is necessary, I have had players call me a bad name countless times. We need to build a safe, inclusive community if we want multiplayer to thrive. This sort of toxic rhetoric is why Mordhau and Chivraly 2 exceed us in players. This filter needs to be enabled by default and no option to turn it off to prevent hate speech such as racial slurs, homophobic remarks, and other bigotry.
If there was the option to have enable/disable profanity you could have your safe space all you want, asking for a "no option to turn it off" doesn't concern you, if you want it censored fine, good for you but must of us don't mind the profanity and hate the censorship.
A option to have it enable/disable is needed.

Is there any details on how this works? As in, does the server receive the message and filters it thereafter, or does the game itself do it when the message is send to the server.

"harrass" became "harr***", lol.

I used to play Rakion, a game from Softnyx, which used to be a very vibrant and living multiplayer game. It then added a profanity filter which made every swear word into LOVE.
The game died a couple years after.

Did it die because of the profanity filter or because the lack of innovation, introduction of pay-2-win and peer2peer servers? I guess we’ll never know.

I used to play Rakion, a game from Softnyx, which used to be a very vibrant and living multiplayer game. It then added a profanity filter which made every swear word into LOVE.
The game died a couple years after.

Did it die because of the profanity filter or because the lack of innovation, introduction of pay-2-win and peer2peer servers? I guess we’ll never know.
That's actually smart. It'ld be hilarous to see "I love you" messages from noobs who are mad at you.

Should kids play anything they can get their hands on? No.
...some edgy 15 year old write the n word 30 times...
Should this^ kind of dumb bulls**t be cencored? Yes.
Do we need a comprehensive profanity filter for that? No.

But honestly as long as we get to turn it off I couldn't really care less. Kinda fun tho how people are actually losing their minds over this.

This game is being developed by forum moderators and that is the antithesis of fun. Let us play the game and have a good time, preferably with custom servers. If the host of a server wants to orient his server towards children then that is fine. No freedom, no fun.

The addition of the profanity filter makes sense to me. If someone wants to avoid all the cuss words while playing then why not provide that. I agree that it would be nice to have an option to disable it though. Relayed all of your other feedback as well, thank you!
thank you for adding this,

i disable ui by hitting alt + tab and enter "ui.toggle_ui"

i hope when you have the time (assuming you are a programmer) you can add an option to remove all the hud feature individually including the chat,

i wish that i could keep my cross-hair for using ranged weapons and see my horse's hp but besides that i like having a clean hud by using the command menu

Should kids play anything they can get their hands on? No.

Should this^ kind of dumb bulls**t be cencored? Yes.
Do we need a comprehensive profanity filter for that? No.

But honestly as long as we get to turn it off I couldn't really care less. Kinda fun tho how people are actually losing their minds over this.
The rating means anyone over the age of 13 can buy the game, so yeah they should be able to play this.
Censor the worst words,option to toggle on/off,easy peasy. Censoring Ass is going too far.

And yes we do need a profanity filter. Toxicity is an issue in online gaming, and people can say "lol if u cant stand it then gtfo" all they want, and then cry about the game being dead.

@Dejan @Orion Is me saying that Donald Trump won the 2020 election and that there was election fraud across multiple states a bannable offense?

I don't care if there is a censor so long as we can turn it on / off. My biggest issue is the fact that you guys believe this is important, whereas we, the community, find that you developing multiplayer is important. And don't say that you have been because adding crushthrough and changing damage variables takes two clicks.

@Dejan @Orion Is me saying that Donald Trump won the 2020 election and that there was election fraud across multiple states a bannable offense?

I don't care if there is a censor so long as we can turn it on / off. My biggest issue is the fact that you guys believe this is important, whereas we, the community, find that you developing multiplayer is important. And don't say that you have been because adding crushthrough and changing damage variables takes two clicks.
Who cares about politics in a medieval game? When you start Bannerlord, do you think, oh man I cant wait to talk to people about american politics!

Occasional swearing is part of the game isn't it? Are we not allowed to feel a little frustrated anymore? Good think most of us don't play the game anyways XD
what kinda self centered take is that lmao, as if the only way you can let out your frustration is for everyone to be forced to see it.

Censoring makes complete sense, and also having the ability to toggle it off makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom