Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

KSHMR

Sergeant at Arms
I have some questions for the developers:

1- Are you going to add throwables to heavy infantry classes again?
2- Are you going to make all maces have more or less the same speed?
3- Are you going to make matchmaking solo/duo queue and full team queue for competitive?
4- Are you going to allow us to see the scoreboard after the match is finished, instead instantly scrolling up and kicking us?

Heavy infantry absolutely should be given throwing weapons again; it was their only counter against two handers in captain’s mode. It’s frustrating captain’s balance is always disturbed to cater to the skirmish whiners. Wish they balanced the modes separately.

Were skirmishers not considered light infantry and were noticeable different to heavy infantry due to the fact they had throwing weapons and were lightly armored?

Wouldn't it make sense to NOT have this for heavy infantry since a class already fulfill this role? Just my two cents.

If you're going to make a terrible class system, at least stick to it.

"Skirmish whiners" have also stressed this repeatedly, even in the beta a whole year ago.
Of course we all want the modes balanced separately. However, TaleWorlds has shown no desire to do that, so it’s just left to whoever has the loudest voice to get noticed. Captain’s mode tends to gets the short end of the stick as a result. For example, archers (and to an extent, cav) were ruined for months at the behest of skirmish players demands, leaving an infantry spam meta. It’s ridiculous.

Were skirmishers not considered light infantry and were noticeable different to heavy infantry due to the fact they had throwing weapons and were lightly armored?

Wouldn't it make sense to NOT have this for heavy infantry since a class already fulfill this role? Just my two cents.

If you're going to make a terrible class system, at least stick to it.
Skirmish units already run faster and can carry a lot more projectiles than the heavy infantry could (6-7 javs compared to 3 throwing axes). Javelins also go further.

Also, what about Legionnaire’s pila or khuzait’s throwing spear? I’m just frustrated these were removed as they weren’t an issue in Captain’s. As it stands, heavy shields easily lose to 2 handers, and with shield wall being so slow, they get slaughtered by archers as well.

Skirmish units already run faster and can carry a lot more projectiles than the heavy infantry could (6-7 javs compared to 3 throwing axes). Javelins also go further.

Also, what about Legionnaire’s pila or khuzait’s throwing spear? I’m just frustrated these were removed as they weren’t an issue in Captain’s. As it stands, heavy shields easily lose to 2 handers, and with shield wall being so slow, they get slaughtered by archers as well.
Seems more like an AI issue on the part of archers, as for 2handers, i believe it more has to do with the players then with the class itself.

Seems more like an AI issue on the part of archers, as for 2handers, i believe it more has to do with the players then with the class itself.
There’s no air issue on the part of archers, formation speeds have been drastically slowed, making shields vulnerable.
2 handers have always been better than shields in Captain’s mode; now shields don’t have throwables to soften up the 2 handers, so the balance is even worse.

I have some questions for the developers:

1- Are you going to add throwables to heavy infantry classes again?
2- Are you going to make all maces have more or less the same speed?
3- Are you going to make matchmaking solo/duo queue and full team queue for competitive?
4- Are you going to allow us to see the scoreboard after the match is finished, instead instantly scrolling up and kicking us?
  1. No
  2. We are going over the mace swing speeds at the moment
  3. They won't be separate queues but stacks' average MMR will be calculated to be higher than actual depending on how many people they are.
  4. We have some fun plans for the end match.

Heavy Infantry is expected to lose to 2Handers, however, they shouldn't be getting killed by archers in most cases, we will make adjustments if required. We are looking into the walking speeds for formations.

@AVRC

In response to your answers for my four questions:

1: The reason I ask is because heavy infantry is useless if the enemy team knows how to kite properly with archers and 2h classes. I find myself just sitting ducks many times, except on really close quarters maps where you can easily surprise the enemy. Heavy infantry on open maps feels extremely bad, I am forced to play other classes that I dislike..
2: Glad to hear you are looking into this, seeing so much speed differences for the same weapon is outrageous.
3: As I understand it the system you want to create is going to increase the MMR of a group depending on how many there are.

Most of the times when clans are stacking in the matchmaker they end up fighting against random people because there are no other clans looking for a match at that time. At times it does happen, but in these cases it is two or three clans in the matchmaker at the same time. With this system it would take 6 super high MMR invididuals to balance out against the increased MMR of the full stack (or almost full stack) and finding that many people in a short timeframe is unlikely. This results in either long waiting times or the group MMR has to be increased by just a little bit which makes the system ineffective at its job. I think the key here will be to find a good balance between keeping waiting times short and not increasing group MMR by too much.

I think this system could work, but only if the playerbase is larger...

4: Anything you can share about end of match situation?

@AVRC

In response to your answers for my four questions:

1: The reason I ask is because heavy infantry is useless if the enemy team knows how to kite properly with archers and 2h classes. I find myself just sitting ducks many times, except on really close quarters maps where you can easily surprise the enemy. Heavy infantry on open maps feels extremely bad, I am forced to play other classes that I dislike..
2: Glad to hear you are looking into this, seeing so much speed differences for the same weapon is outrageous.
3: As I understand it the system you want to create is going to increase the MMR of a group depending on how many there are.

Most of the times when clans are stacking in the matchmaker they end up fighting against random people because there are no other clans looking for a match at that time. At times it does happen, but in these cases it is two or three clans in the matchmaker at the same time. With this system it would take 6 super high MMR invididuals to balance out against the increased MMR of the full stack (or almost full stack) and finding that many people in a short timeframe is unlikely. This results in either long waiting times or the group MMR has to be increased by just a little bit which makes the system ineffective at its job. I think the key here will be to find a good balance between keeping waiting times short and not increasing group MMR by too much.

I think this system could work, but only if the playerbase is larger...

4: Anything you can share about end of match situation?
  1. You are literally saying you acknowledge that there is another class which increases your chance of winning an engagement in a competitive game but you actively refuse to pick it and then complain that you are losing the engagement. If you don't like switching your class depending on the in game situation maybe you should stick with Siege or TDM. You are also validating the fact that different classes have weaknesses and strengths depending on the situation so it seems to me that everything is working as it should.
  2. .
  3. Yes, the more people in a stack the higher the calculated group MMR used for matching. We are adjusting the game and adding new MP features to increase the player base.
  4. Not yet.

Last edited:
Heavy infantry absolutely should be given throwing weapons again; it was their only counter against two handers in captain’s mode. It’s frustrating captain’s balance is always disturbed to cater to the skirmish whiners. Wish they balanced the modes separately.
Heavy infantry is expected to have a significant disadvantage vs Shock Troops, this is also a fact for Captain's Mode. Shock Troops are the natural counter to Heavy Infantry so Heavy Infantry should not have the weapons countering their counter. This has nothing to do with mode differences.

edit: To add to this point. Heavy Inf should be at a stalemate vs archers and archers should be destroying the Shock Troops. If any part of this is not the case we will make adjustments to make so.

I agree with @KSHMR that it's difficult to get the MMR system to work when there's only a few people looking, without dramatically raising wait times (which will just lower population anyway). Limiting party queuing to duo or 6v6 seems like a good middleground until the population improves.

Part of the problem of the party system is that MnB is often about the weak link rather the strongest - a team with 5-6 solid players is going to win 9/10 vs a team with 4 great players and 2 noobs as the latter are free kills, whilst the solid players are survivable. It's difficult to balance around.

As an aside, have you considered removing the player number message during queuing? I don't feel like it gives a very representative view e.g. there can be several skirmish matches going, but only 2 people queuing, so people assume the game is dead and leave. Maybe an estimated wait time instead?

1. Yes, the more people in a stack the higher the calculated group MMR used for matching. We are adjusting the game and adding new MP features to increase the player base.
My reaction maybe isn't needed but please only introduce ranked matchmaking and MMR when there is a big increase in players (for example on EA release or free weekend or whatever), otherwise, it might do more damage than good due to the low player count. Looking forward to proper matchmaking!

Back
Top Bottom