Problems with Skirmish Mode as of May 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

This isn't correct, at top speeds maneuverability is noticeably decreased, while being better at lower speeds. It's hard to say where you got this impression from.
The impression is from playing cav, where it has incredible turning power even at top speed. You can take right angled corners without needing to slow down. It may be less manoeuvrable, but the decrease is very slight, and should be significantly more. It would nerf cav, raise the skill ceiling, make the game closer to Warband, and make the cav movement much more natural looking.
ye from my experience at full speed everything can dodge you if the player sees you coming so why decrease it lol
This is because movement speed is high on foot and cav deceleration is extremely low along with little marked difference to turning (e.g. you can't slightly reduce speed and gain manoeuvrability to punish someone dodging too early).

Only situation where you are usually at full speed as cav is before the fight when engaging or rejoining it in case you died. During the fight you're permanently turning around to move towards fighting infantry so you'll rarely hit max speed where this would then actually matter at all. I don't even see this as a problem overall but even if u think this is the case it comes with more of a risk itself as crashing into an object leaves you defenseless unlike warband and most of the maps are absolutely cluttered with objects even around flag like xauna.
That being said i'd not disagree with the statement that some horses are hella fast and could use a slow down (which would kind of touch on this).

I also don't see how this would be changing skillceiling really, if anything it would punish bad play instead of rewarding good play which is a terrible and unfun approach to gamedesign imo.

Last edited:
Only situation where you are usually at full speed as cav is before the fight when engaging or rejoining it in case you died. During the fight you're permanently turning around to move towards fighting infantry so you'll rarely hit max speed where this would then actually matter at all.
Don't think this is true really, it was in Warband but in BL with the WW mechanic you routinely are at top speed when covering any distance except for literally right next to you, and with the respawns and how generally spread out fights get this gets used more often as well. But the top speed turning speed mostly impacts how cav can come around corners or dodge spears.

I do agree the maps are cluttered with objects but I also think it's still too hard to get reared if you come at anything at an off angle, you routinely see cav go from top speed to 0 with no rearing, so again there is little reason to slow down since you can just smash into a wall as long as you turn slightly (this was also an issue in Warband which a few cav abused regularly).
I also don't see how this would be changing skillceiling really, if anything it would punish bad play instead of rewarding good play which is a terrible and unfun approach to gamedesign imo.
I don't think the current high turning speed at top speed rewards good play, it is a really forgiving mechanic that allows cav to move at max speed (therefore max damage) as often as possible without needing to think about their movement as they can easily turn corners or dodge if need be, and also allows them to come in to the fight at unnatural angles.

I mean to let you in on a secret I'm literally just describing the Warband cav mechanics, which are definitely a higher skill ceiling, so ye.

Yes, absolutely agree that cav is low skill ceiling rn with barely any ways to reward good play. I just think making bumpstabbing even more diffucult to pull off with lower horse control is not the way. Stabbing people that are fighting into the back is not very insanely fun gameplay but it's literally the only way to play the class right now because you can't do anything else.

I don't think 2xw puts you even close to max speed but it's also getting nerfed - very needed. I don't know how much of a difference this will make in the end up overall it's a nerf to what you want to see nerfed. If this was only about me having to slow down more whenn riding around the map, I wouldn't give a single **** (eventho i don't think it's really needed). But it'll nerf one of the core cav mechanics even more - which is already underused - without anything making up for it.
Then there's also the addition that teammates will rear up cavs which makes no sense to me. Why would the already busy fighting infantry also need to pay attention to allied cav. Allowing horses to bump teammates instead while also lowering the small bump treshold suddenly gives cav a way higher skill ceiling while also allowing for some room to make plays. This would then also be a nerf to cavs speed as you obviously don't want to fully knock down your allied infantry in a fight.

Cav is high skill floor and enormous skill ceiling. Lower the skill floor for cav and raise inf skill ceiling. And maybe look at the skill ceiling for cav.

Cav is high skill floor and enormous skill ceiling. Lower the skill floor for cav and raise inf skill ceiling. And maybe look at the skill ceiling for cav.
Like i said before i joined s tournament with 84 hours on BL where most of the people had alot more and didn't get outperformed. If cav had a high skill ceiling I should not have been even close to those guys. All you do is run around and stab people in the back maybe try for a bumpstab here and there but that's really about it.

I think that one of the biggest things that could help the US multiplayer community is removing Western Servers in favor for Central Servers. I know TW has explained that it isn't like they can snap their fingers and get a server, however all im suggesting is to keep your eyes out and try to get it to us in the next couple of months to the end of the year.

Also, even though im yet to try out the im concerned about the damage reduction of the throwing spears and pilas. Coming from a missile homing beacon such as myself I don't see the large amount of damage as an issue, and if you want to reduce their effect then I believe the solution NIN3 talked about, the getting rid of other throwables if taking the "heavier" throwing weapons would be the right move.

Finally, because I can't think of anything else to note, I want to say that performance on multiplayer still seems bad, I lag everytime I get into the fight like everyone else, however unlike everyone else I have to deal with 100-110 ping because I live on the otherside of the country. I think the issue has something to do with map optimization but I can't be for sure. Might be worth a look over but yeah.

You forgot to mention problem number 6: North America matchmaking has been split to US East and US West. Because of this distinction, TDM and Siege are the only modes that exist for North American players.

About throwing spears
We will keep them in the game but make the trade off bigger, probably by removing all javelins from the skirmisher if the chose the throwing spear perk. It will go hand in hand with the skill perk changes that will encourage troops to stick with their special weapons (but not forcing it)
Please please please dont continue to let 3 live classes have throwing spears it completely removes the practicality of taking any other inf class in the game. Empire is ridiculous with 3 live pila spam round 1.

About throwing spears
We will keep them in the game but make the trade off bigger, probably by removing all javelins from the skirmisher if the chose the throwing spear perk. It will go hand in hand with the skill perk changes that will encourage troops to stick with their special weapons (but not forcing it).
Something tells me that this should be explored on a case by case basis tbh.

Javelins are the primary method of inflicting damage as a recruit, and the Pila is the go-to for a zero cost cavalry counter when playing the Empire. Making the Pila remove the javelin quiver would likely make the Recruit a useless unit, and I think it's important for peasant units to still be a viable pick for late joiners when everyone else is able to spawn as more expensive units.

The Ash Throwing Spear being a javelin replacement is also not a good idea for the Brigand IMO for similar reasons to why I think the Recruit should keep his javelins. He's also more or less the saving grace of Sturgia, since most units come off to me as worse versions of what other factions have. However, if TaleWorlds insists on making the Ash Throwing Spear remove the Javelin quiver, can he at least have a quiver of throwing axes if he picks the Throwing Spear perk? That way, he'd still have a means to inflict a serviceable amount of ranged damage, though his headshot damage would be capped at around the mid-50s. Also, the Ash Throwing Spear's 185 reach in melee is pretty important for dealing with cavalry.

As for the Wildling, this is probably a more difficult discussion IMO since he's one of the few medium infantry units in the game*, though I guess since he has more armor than every other skirmisher, I guess he can make do with losing javelins cuz he can probably take hits that a Clan Warrior and Savage won't have to.
*in fact, I think Wildling and Spear Infantry are the only medium infantry units in the game

cav has a low skill floor and a low skill ceiling lmao. anyone can hop on cav and slay. hardest thing is to tell yourself not to be around pointy sticks.

Back
Top Bottom