In Progress Problems with abdicating the throne

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: I have discovered a number of issues when abdicating the throne from a created Kingdom. I don't know if the problem is the same if you become the ruler of an existing kingdom.
Firstly, the new ruler's clan that wins the election will take the same banner as my character. If I change my banner in the editor, the ruler clan's banner also changes. This problem persists even after leaving the Kingdom.
Secondly, after leaving the Kingdom post abdication, I am unable to join any other Kingdom, either as a mercenary or a vassal.
How to Reproduce: Abdicate the throne/leave kingdom after abdication.
Have you used cheats and if so which: No
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
GPU Driver Version: 30.0.14.9676
CPU: Intel i5-6400
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS H170-PRO
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Patriot Burst SSD 120GB

I have tested it on beta e1.7.1 by abdicating the throne of a creatad kingdom on one save and abdicating the throne of an already existing kingdom on the second one.

For a created kingdom I had the same two issues at first, but after waiting a little bit of in-game time I was able to join to kingdoms as a mercenary and as a vassal. However, the bug with the banner didn't go away.

For an existing kingdom there was no issue with joining kingdoms and the one with banner was different. The new ruling clan and faction got my banner but it wasn't linked to the banner of my clan - when I changed mine after abdicating, the one for the kingdom and its ruling clan didn't change - so it might not be even a bug, but an intended design.

While I was writing this post I have tested the problem with banners more on another save.

It seems like a faction banner becomes yours when you became the king. It replaces your old banner. You can modify/change it to you liking, but after you abdicate, you leave this banner to the faction and the new ruling clan, and you get back your old banner from the time before you have became the king. All works fine for existing kingdoms.

The problem occurs when you create a new kingdom, because it doesn't have its own banner yet. It seems like the game starts treating the player's banner as the faction banner instead of coping it or creating a new one for this purpose.

I have tested it on beta e1.7.1 by abdicating the throne of a creatad kingdom on one save and abdicating the throne of an already existing kingdom on the second one.

For a created kingdom I had the same two issues at first, but after waiting a little bit of in-game time I was able to join to kingdoms as a mercenary and as a vassal. However, the bug with the banner didn't go away.

For an existing kingdom there was no issue with joining kingdoms and the one with banner was different. The new ruling clan and faction got my banner but it wasn't linked to the banner of my clan - when I changed mine after abdicating, the one for the kingdom and its ruling clan didn't change - so it might not be even a bug, but an intended design.

While I was writing this post I have tested the problem with banners more on another save.

It seems like a faction banner becomes yours when you became the king. It replaces your old banner. You can modify/change it to you liking, but after you abdicate, you leave this banner to the faction and the new ruling clan, and you get back your old banner from the time before you have became the king. All works fine for existing kingdoms.

The problem occurs when you create a new kingdom, because it doesn't have its own banner yet. It seems like the game starts treating the player's banner as the faction banner instead of coping it or creating a new one for this purpose.
Thanks for testing the problem a bit more. Roughly how much in-game time passed before you could join another faction?
So they create the Kingdom's banner from your banner, the problem being that the link between your banner and the Kingdom's banner persists after Kingdom creation, even if you are no longer the ruler. Presumably then, this issue will also exist if you create your own Empire faction and you are replaced as Ruler without you having to abdicate?
I guess they need to set it so the Kingdom banner doesn't change after creation, like the existing factions who keep their Kingdom banner even if a new clan becomes the ruling clan.
Edit - or rather, they just need to copy and paste the banner on Kingdom creation instead of maintaining the link.

Last edited:
Roughly how much in-game time passed before you could join another faction?
I think it was something like 1-3 in-game days.

Presumably then, this issue will also exist if you create your own Empire faction and you are replaced as Ruler without you having to abdicate?
I have tested it by killing my main hero (I have used cheat for it) to force the vote for a new ruler. The banner is bugged the same way as it was when I abdicated the throne.

I guess they need to set it so the Kingdom banner doesn't change after creation, like the existing factions who keep their Kingdom banner even if a new clan becomes the ruling clan.
I think the problem might be that the banner of created kingdom is just a link ("a reference" if we want to use a programming term for it) to the player's banner instead of it being a new, separate banner created for this kingdom and its ruling clan.

Forwarded to the QA team for further investigation. We will reach out again if we need more information. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!
It has been over two years now, can we have it fixed already?? it is impossible to create a second kingdom becouse both of them have the same banner and colorscheme :/ just make the kingdom banner be referenced from the ruling clan instead of a player

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom