Private Servers?

Users who are viewing this thread

I think you're quoting and replying to the wrong person, I didn't write the things you're claiming that I did.

Multiplayer does absolutely not account for ~20-25% of Warband players ? As I wrote earlier, it's closer to 1%.
Show me that evidence [wait you have none] as we both know that you are a straight up liar, You claim random bs to try back up your claim. Mount and Blade MP has and always will be a large number of the people that play Mount and Blade, It does not matter if your a pub or a member of a clan the MP in Mount and Blade will always be a huge amount of Warband Players so guy that claims it is less then 1% either prove it or shut up and save everyone pain and time having to read your bs.

Last edited:
I think you're quoting and replying to the wrong person, I didn't write the things you're claiming that I did.

Multiplayer does absolutely not account for ~20-25% of Warband players ? As I wrote earlier, it's closer to 1%.
Sorry, dude, you're just plain wrong. Singleplayer accounts for 75 to 80% of Warband players. The rest play primarily multiplayer. I don't want to be ugly but I fear you've pulled your stats out of your ass.
Also, I didn't quote you the first time, that was VirtuousLiam.

It sucks that TW won’t have private servers, but doomsday prophecies never come true, guys. Bannerlord won’t fail because they don’t have private servers at (an Early Access, no less) launch, and I doubt that your clans will entirely disappear, either—or, at least, no more than they would playing the single player campaign on release anyway.

Saying the MP community will die out because they don’t have private servers is like saying that the modding community will die out because they’re not releasing modding tools on release. Highly unlikely.

Right now, TW is focusing their attention on finishing and fine tuning the SP campaign, which is where I think they should be focusing their efforts right now—they made a lot of promises about the campaign and they need to follow through on them.

Be patient, guys.

According to steam charts, warband has currently 8000 active players, and the server browser have around 400 players in all modules, that makes the multiplayer players around 5% of the total players. The peak player count is 13000, so 8000 is a good sample.
Even if we add 200 players from the beta, that still amount to only 7.3%.

didn't they recently say or somewhere I saw that they have like 50-100 people working for them now? atleast put some of the resources into atleast communicating with us about the private server drama, we have no decent communication with them and posting on the forums and trying to get a response is like praying for a sign from god
Yes your right they have enough people now they should be able to do this. But as you know it is very very hard to get communication from Taleworlds. It’s always been something they struggle at for some reason. I wish you luck and no hard feelings. I guess we will see soon enough. All indications point to that they are currently focusing on campaign and the beta multiplayer multiplayer. I kinda hope I’m wrong though as I’d like to get into multiplayer a bit more this time round.

didn't they recently say or somewhere I saw that they have like 50-100 people working for them now?
Those 100 people are split between managers, 3d artists, animators, engine, UI, multiplayer, server, scenes, combat, quests, sound, writing, communication, etc..., and most of them are not industry veterans and working on their very first game, in a country where game development is still relatively new.
In comparison, a game like Fallout 76, had more than 250 people working of it from the start. While taleworlds only reached 80 employee (including non developers) around 2 years ago. source: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/20

According to steam charts, warband has currently 8000 active players, and the server browser have around 400 players in all modules, that makes the multiplayer players around 5% of the total players. The peak player count is 13000, so 8000 is a good sample.
You sure you turned off all filters? When I watched the numbers it was between 1000-2000 online in Multiplayer at like 10000, also you gotta take idle people into account, roughly 20% is a fair estimate imo.

Multiplayer likely accounts for less than 1% of the Mount & Blade franchise, the notion that the extra multiplayer feature was ever an attractive factor for people considering purchasing the games is a completely nonsensical notion. It's a niche community within a niche community.
That is nowhere close to reality, as some people showed in later posts. Not to mention the MP community is probably more 'resilient' due to its intrinsic nature (players create bonds with each other and/or recognize other players they enjoy playing with, making the game more attractive). There are another couple of factors to have in mind here:
1) The decline (almost death) of the multiplayer scene in the last years, mainly because of the never-ending wait for Bannerlord and the relentless pass of time, which turned no-life teenagers/young adults who grew playing warband into adults with less time to play and interest in a 8 years-old game. I'm pretty sure the MP/SP players ratio was a lot higher back in 2010-2015, dozens of servers were full every day. Now Crpg, PW and many other mods are completley dead, Native is at its 'last breath'.
2) TW made it clear that they'll be investing a lot more attention to MP, in theory, with the implementation of new features never seen officially in Warband such as the Matchmmaking and the Anti-cheat systems, as well as giving the game more promotion as an e-sport.

I'm not saying SP isn't important though, it clearly was, is and will be the prevalent mode. That doesn't make the latest news about private servers less disappointing, though. I think it'd be silly for anyone not to agree with the implementation of private servers from the beginning. I also believe that what was said about a few elite super competitive players not supporting private servers is a fallacy. As Greed pointed out in the other thread, the competitive players are probably the most interested in private servers being allowed. They're absolutely necessary to practice with your team/clanmates and organise events, scrims or even official matches. Being in one of the very few clans that has been providing servers in the last years, I can say reading the latest news was quite frustrating for us.

All that being said, let's not forget it's Early Access and not the full game. It'd make sense that TW wanted to only have official servers until everything is completely polished and ready. I think what really made people angry is not inherently the fact that we won't have private servers in EA but that it will last so long (1 year if not less) after 8 years of development. Let's just be patient and hope they're implemented sooner than later.

You sure you turned off all filters? When I watched the numbers it was between 1000-2000 online in Multiplayer at like 10000, also you gotta take idle people into account, roughly 20% is a fair estimate imo.
Filters are turned off.
let's say that 2000 play at the same time at max, according to steam charts 13000 people at max play at the same time which increase the percentage to 15% at the maximum. And we must take into account that many players play both.

I'm not trying to say that multiplayer is not important, but that having no private servers at the start of EA will not make the game fail because the majority of players play single player, or official multiplayer servers.

That is nowhere close to reality, as some people showed in later posts. Not to mention the MP community is probably more 'resilient' due to its intrinsic nature (players create bonds with each other and/or recognize other players they enjoy playing with, making the game more attractive). There are another couple of factors to have in mind here:
1) The decline (almost death) of the multiplayer scene in the last years, mainly because of the never-ending wait for Bannerlord and the relentless pass of time, which turned no-life teenagers/young adults who grew playing warband into adults with less time to play and interest in a 8 years-old game. I'm pretty sure the MP/SP players ratio was a lot higher back in 2010-2015, dozens of servers were full every day. Now Crpg, PW and many other mods are completley dead, Native is at its 'last breath'.
2) TW made it clear that they'll be investing a lot more attention to MP, in theory, with the implementation of new features never seen officially in Warband such as the Matchmmaking and the Anti-cheat systems, as well as giving the game more promotion as an e-sport.

I'm not saying SP isn't important though, it clearly was, is and will be the prevalent mode. That doesn't make the latest news about private servers less disappointing, though. I think it'd be silly for anyone not to agree with the implementation of private servers from the beginning. I also believe that what was said about a few elite super competitive players not supporting private servers is a fallacy. As Greed pointed out in the other thread, the competitive players are probably the most interested in private servers being allowed. They're absolutely necessary to practice with your team/clanmates and organise events, scrims or even official matches. Being in one of the very few clans that has been providing servers in the last years, I can say reading the latest news was quite frustrating for us.

All that being said, let's not forget it's Early Access and not the full game. It'd make sense that TW wanted to only have official servers until everything is completely polished and ready. I think what really made people angry is not inherently the fact that we won't have private servers in EA but that it will last so long (1 year if not less) after 8 years of development. Let's just be patient and hope they're implemented sooner than later.
definetly took this to heart, I think I started playing in 5th or 6th grade and im now a Junior in high school, been waiting for ages, wish Harambe could've seen a 2016 launch :sad:

That just show that the multiplayer is dying on this 8 years old game , did you try to take some stats back in the glorious day of this game i'm sure they will show some reals numbers...!!

What do you mean? Are you not aware of how tiny the Mount & Blade multiplayer community is? We're talking at most a couple hundred people, and a small minority of those are engaged in "clans". As I wrote earlier, it's a niche within a niche, and a very, very small niche at that. Multiplayer 'pull' factor is likely not even taken into consideration during marketing & sales discussions for this game.

This doesn't mean that the multiplayer "is bad", but it's a fact that the amount of people engaged in multiplayer in Mount & Blade is a small handful of people.
"Couple hundred people"

There is more than just that alone in Oceania region waiting for a SINGLE server to play on. You have no clue what you are talking about, the majority of people I know who own the game have tried the Multiplayer after they experience singleplayer campaigns. It's not US vs THEM, it's a combination of both. I would say there is maybe 20-30% people who buy the game where they ONLY play SP and don't touch the MP, and 10% of people who ONLY play MP and don't touch the SP.
Without the the release of custom servers, there is no ability to have custom maps, MP mods, server mods. We have to rely on TW staff to administrate the servers, so if there isn't admins on the servers, then the servers are gonna be full of trolls, hackers (no anti-cheat system yet!) & griefers.
This will lead to casual players or potential players who are new to the game and want to try out MP (who doesn't these days, MP is pretty much everything in most games people buy) to get bored of the game and never come back to MP. This leads to stagnant growth of the MP community, and you will end up in our current position where it's only the dedicated M&B players who are around. Casual and new players won't care if 'oh private servers now' because it's likely that they won't be following the Bannerlord dev news.

This is 2020 people,mp will generate allot of players...
Not giving the community servers is killing this game and i am sure other gameslike Mordhau and chivalry 2 , will be happy for it.
Ea or not...mp will make or break the game...

As user Aboud2195 clearly demonstrated, MP accounts for roughly 5% of the playerbase. Yes, that is 4% more than what I wrote, but also ~15-20% less than what some people in this thread claim. 5%, this is a small minority at best.

We can also look at achivement statistics on Steam. The top 5 most common achivements are 1) Community service (54.6%) 2) Get up Stand up (51.9%) 3) Good Samaritan (49.2%) 4) Abundant Feast (47.2%) 5) Talking helps (47%)

The first MP achievement, "Every breath you take", appears for the first time at place 43) with only (14.1%) of players having completed it.

Some conclusions we can draw from this are; roughly only half of players who have bought the game have at some point played the game under circumstances when Steam achievements can be earned, and completed the top five most common activities in the game.

Now, very likely it's more than roughly half who have done those things, only they weren't playing through Steam when they did so. And since some mods require you to start the game through another launcher, and since a mod-related achievement is the #1 achievement on Steam, we can likely conclude that it is in fact a much larger % of people who have completed those five top achivements listed on Steam than roughly half the people who own the game through Steam, I'd wager closer to 75%.

Some more conclusions we can draw: Roughly 14 out of 100 people (~14%) have at some point played and finished a match in Multiplayer. This is more than 5%. But the 5% user Aboud2195 found was only for one specific point in time, while the achivement could've been earned at any point in time prior to the next second.

More than half of Multiplayer-related achivements have closer to 1-5% completion rate, while less than half of Multiplayer-related achivements have at most 14% completion rate. The type of achievements that are around 1-5% completion rate are those that require you to kill X amount of people with Y type of weapon, while the achievements that have at most 14% are the types that require you to play one match, win one match, etc. .

The proof that solidifies the ~1-5% number: The multiplayer achivements that require more than winning/playing one match have a completion rate of around 1-5%.
And considering the numbers we've gone through earlier, we can safely conclude that the multiplayer population of Warband that consistently plays multiplayer accounts for at most ~5% of the playerbase but very likely closer to 2-3% since most multiplayer achivements have a completion rate of lower than 5%.
And if 5% of the playerbase consistently played multiplayer than we would see most of the multiplayer achivements have atleast 5% completion rate, when this is not the case. It is in fact the case that 3 multiplayer achivements have less than 2% completion rate.
Meanwhile, somewhere around ~10-20% of the playerbase have at some point tried playing Multiplayer atleast once.

TLDR: 2-3% of the Warband playerbase consistently play Multiplayer, ~15% have played Multiplayer once.

Let's put the discussion about the popularity of Multiplayer to rest now.

Last edited:
As user Aboud2195 clearly demonstrated, MP accounts for roughly 5% of the playerbase. Yes, that is 4% more than what I wrote, but also ~15-20% less than what some people in this thread claim. 5%, this is a small minority at best.

We can also look at achivement statistics on Steam. The top 5 most common achivements are 1) Community service (54.6%) 2) Get up Stand up (51.9%) 3) Good Samaritan (49.2%) 4) Abundant Feast (47.2%) 5) Talking helps (47%)

The first MP achievement, "Every breath you take", appears for the first time at place 43) with only (14.1%) of players having completed it.

Some conclusions we can draw from this are; roughly only half of players who have bought the game have at some point played the game under circumstances when Steam achievements can be earned, and completed the top five most common activities in the game.

Now, very likely it's more than roughly half who have done those things, only they weren't playing through Steam when they did so. And since some mods require you to start the game through another launcher, and since a mod-related achievement is the #1 achievement on Steam, we can likely conclude that it is in fact a much larger % of people who have completed those five top achivements listed on Steam than roughly half the people who own the game through Steam, I'd wager closer to 75%.

Some more conclusions we can draw: Roughly 14 out of 100 people (~14%) have at some point played and finished a match in Multiplayer. This is more than 5%. But the 5% user Aboud2195 found was only for one specific point in time, while the achivement could've been earned at any point in time prior to the next second.

More than half of Multiplayer-related achivements have closer to 1-5% completion rate, while less than half of Multiplayer-related achivements have at most 14% completion rate. The type of achievements that are around 1-5% completion rate are those that require you to kill X amount of people with Y type of weapon, while the achievements that have at most 14% are the types that require you to play one match, win one match, etc. .

The proof that solidifies the ~1-5% number: The multiplayer achivements that require more than winning/playing one match have a completion rate of around 1-5%.
And considering the numbers we've gone through earlier, we can safely conclude that the multiplayer population of Warband that consistently plays multiplayer accounts for at most ~5% of the playerbase but very likely closer to 2-3% since most multiplayer achivements have a completion rate of lower than 5%.
And if 5% of the playerbase consistently played multiplayer than we would see most of the multiplayer achivements have atleast 5% completion rate, when this is not the case. It is in fact the case that 3 multiplayer achivements have less than 2% completion rate.
Meanwhile, somewhere around ~10-20% of the playerbase have at some point tried playing Multiplayer atleast once.

TLDR: 2-3% of the Warband playerbase consistently play Multiplayer, ~15% have played Multiplayer once.

Let's put the discussion about the popularity of Multiplayer to rest now.

I might also add that 7750 players are playing Warband right now, at best about 200-300 players are playing MP right now. Let's assume 300 players are playing MP across all mods, DLC's. It's about 3,87% out of those 7750 players.

@Kayhan
That seems very much in-line with my "findings", after having looked at the achivements, and therefore seems very plausible. Conclusion; ~15% have tried MP, 2-3% or something like that play MP consistently. Thank you for your information.

One thing and one thing only that you people need to understand.
TW has no obligation what so ever to go into early access, they are doing it so we can finally enjoy some of the game even if it is not complete.
Stop being self-entitled brats demanding things.
The game has been in development for 8 years ? So what...we are getting to play now instead of having to wait another year, which they could do if they wanted to.
TW has no obligations with any of you, no deadlines, no contracts, nothing.
They are giving something back to their community because they feel like doing it.
You keep demanding things like you are owed anything by them, you are not. stop.

@Androme1
There is a statistical fallacy in using Steam's achivement system or Steam's most users system.
1) Many people (such as myself) do not own Warband through Steam, owning the game through Taleworlds own website instead.

2) Steam's achivement system is NOT reliable statistics because Steam compares "owners" of a game to "achievements" despite "not played/played" meaning that the overall statistics gets hazed by the fact that Warband previously has had free weekends back in 2014 and 2015 which artifically increased the amount of "owners".
3)There are also lots of graymarket selling accounts who trade in steam gifting as their source of purchase. Further hazing the reliability of those statistics.

Just pointing that out to you.
Multiplayer in this game, by its nature is bound to have fewer players than singleplayer, since a lot of people play mods that do not have a multiplayer function but is filled with functionality we normally would not be able to get in multiplayer.
I normally play singleplayer on Warsword Conquest for example (great mod, check it out) but I can always rely on going back to playing Siege on native any day.
5% is ridiculous number to assume though.

On the topic of custom servers, I think people just should chill out.
Warband didn't have custom servers when it was in closed beta either, it'll arrive when it's ready.
It was messy, but it follow up to one of my absolute favourite games; Mount and Blade. (inb4 Zendar was gone)

Back
Top Bottom