Private Server Monetisation Policy

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for replying. I think we can agree that its not speculative that hosters will get less donations if they can't give skins etc. in return. I don't really see why you would want to do this just to ban cosmetics. It seems a bit extreme.

[/quote]
H E R O O F T H E I M P E R I U M said:
Are you people like 15 or something? Servers don't cost that much. The vast majority of any Warband servers have been maintained without any major donations, and/or they have been run by a group of people who split the costs. This really isn't a big deal.

'Oh I've seen this server or that server survive without donations' again. TW is arguing that cosmetics and welcome messages are affecting gameplay to such an extent that you may not receive them in return for donations. You choose to instead call me childish for arguing that server hosters should be able to try to cover their costs? This surprises me a bit.

'Servers don't cost that much.' Well cosmetics and welcome messages don't affect gameplay that much, very little in fact. Me arguing this point warrants a reply from you, but I am somehow '15' for replying to TW's argument for their point?

Anyways the mods have said we are free to discuss it here, and that they'll respond to us. I'm glad for that. Shows they at least want to have dialogue with us. Only person who takes issue with having a discussion here seems to be you.

InnocentPeasant said:
Thanks for replying. I think we can agree that its not speculative that hosters will get less donations if they can't give skins etc. in return. I don't really see why you would want to do this just to ban cosmetics. It seems a bit extreme.
Just to make sure we are on the same page. This is not my decision to make. It is TaleWorlds' policy. I have previously stated that I don't mind (reasonable/whitelisted) cosmetics.

Duh said:
Just to make sure we are on the same page. This is not my decision to make. It is TaleWorlds' policy. I have previously stated that I don't mind (reasonable/whitelisted) cosmetics.

I completely understand that and I don't write this to attack or argue with you personally in any way. I only write it in case TW sees it and might reconsider.

Your idea about a whitelisted list of cosmetics btw is kinda what I mean about a case by case system. You could issue a blanket ban and tell us, if you want to be able to continue giving donators skins etc., prove to us it doesn't affect gameplay and you're not making a profit off it. That way if donations really are that important to a servers' survival, they'll make the effort to apply.

Your best bet if you actually want Taleworlds to listen is to send them emails them get a bunch of people to follow until their inbox is spammed

This isn't purely about servers not being allowed to ask money for cosmetics / whatever. You are also no longer allowed to rent something you've made to other people.

These "10" people replying to this thread aren't just players. Most of them currently hold or have held a prominent position within the community, and it truly is a shame that TaleWorlds is looking to roll out such a policy, even makes a thread on their forums asking for an open discussion and proceed to do nothing. When the old community manager Eliot had left, I hoped you guys would have hired someone more competent...

This won't kill the community, come on. If the server owners are not out to make a profit and only to sustain their servers, it will happen, if their community enjoys the product.

Look at servers such as Warband Roleplay back in 2011. It lasted until 2013 on donations from the people, and they gave no advantages to people who donated.

We ran a server for 6 months, in which the main contributor paid from his own pocket, and we had donations from the community, although not that many, without giving a single thing in game.

Yes, giving items/horses/whatever in game or benefits will boost the number of donations and income, which in turn can boost progress on server scripts or host or whatever, but let us not offer this as an alternate motive for the actual purpose.

Let us also not forget that many of these instances where ITEMS are given for MONEY under the claim of donations is ILLEGAL and falls under tax evasion. It's no longer a donation if you get something in return. It's a sale of product, or a service. If Warband servers were a registered business, it wouldn't be a problem, but they're not.

It won't kill the community, it might slow down the progress, but let's be honest, there's not much progress to take place at this point in Warband servers, as most of them achieved everything they wanted, and there's always people willing to do work for free if motivated correctly. The community is far better off without these things.

a lot of server owners are forced to purchase services that cost more (we're talking 35 dollars a month for a server with 100 slots and decent protection) just to withstand the attacks.

M&B servers usually aren't priced that high anymore. They've come down quite a bit in the past couple years. Didn't you also get a server from us?

Captain Conner said:
a lot of server owners are forced to purchase services that cost more (we're talking 35 dollars a month for a server with 100 slots and decent protection) just to withstand the attacks.

M&B servers usually aren't priced that high anymore. They've come down quite a bit in the past couple years. Didn't you also get a server from us?

No, I had planned to, but we cut it short.

When you have a server that offers nothing in return for donations or something as small as a Title to thank you people do not expect anything for the donations and you'll find a lot more people donate to a server they feel like playing. I have seen this happen in so many communities in my three or so years in the Warband community but I have also seen the effect of offering "Compensation" for "Donations" to a server. When you give people a price for things people will get so used to those prices that everyone will expect that in future, even when its removed.

Because of this fact, I sadly see servers with a long running time dying quite soon out of no one elses fault but there own. I'd love to say "All good things come to an end" but honestly, the person I am talking of knows personally that at the start of his server me and many others were fervently against the use of "Donation Rewards" for obvious reasons and now justice has swiftly been served.

Taleworlds or at least it's past Community Team are honestly to blame for letting this go on for so god damn long. Please in future fix things as they come, not when they are already screwed.

Also, Just so you know, your grace period is being abused. I don't know if this was just oversight or anything but allowing a grace period of this long only makes you look incompetent as you have been a direct cause of this malpractice.

Edit: Also, why is the OP not updated publicly with this new date of the 20th of this month?

calradia-roleplay.com/index.php?topic=9677.0#forum ---> For those without an account. gyazo.com/444124993cc305aa2567c7593912588d

Surkan said:
So they adjusted to the new policy and then switched back? That's not the how a grace period works, does it?

[quote author=Kingsman (On his forums, see link in my previous post)]"The community is by now aware of the new Taleworld restrictions on donations, they have however extended the grace period to the 20th while they presumably rework it based off community reactions, after that time we'll have to change the donation scheme accordingly"[/quote]

Honestly do not know if a Taleworlds Admin has legitimately extended the grace period without a public announcement or Kingsman is just bull****ting. Really could use a response from OP.

Edit: OP should have been updated, not in a random post. Still I am dumb for not reading all pages of this thread. Enjoy your day.

Honestly do not know if a Taleworlds Admin has legitimately extended the grace period without a public announcement or Kingsman is just bull****ting. Really could use a response from OP.

The grace period was extended until 20th.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
We have decided to extend the grace period until the 20/06/18 to give us a chance to go over all of your feedback. If our stance on any part of the policy changes we will let you all know as soon as possible. If you have any questions or concerns it would be much better to contact us directly at the email provided.

It would also be really helpful if any server hosts contacted me directly either here on the forums through a PM, or at the provided email so that we can establish a line of direct communication to resolve any issues that might arise after the policy is in place.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:

How can I see if my VPS is blacklisted or not blacklisted?

I just hired a VPS from Contabo and opened a server on it, but server doesn't appear on server list.

Can you help me with that please? I was going to open NW server my regiment.

Gatts said:
How can I see if my VPS is blacklisted or not blacklisted?

I just hired a VPS from Contabo and opened a server on it, but server doesn't appear on server list.

Can you help me with that please? I was going to open NW server my regiment.

I very much doubt your server has been blacklisted if you've just set it up and had no prior problems in regards with TaleWorlds policies. I reckon it's a technical problem on your side. It might also be that random bug where you can't see specific servers for whatever reason. Talked with a large number of people in the past month that have been experiencing that.

Back
Top Bottom