Private Server Monetisation Policy

Users who are viewing this thread

I think this is a much needed change for the future of this game. People pay to play the game, and owning a server is a hobby, not a job.. This creates a much less hostile envirounment, where people don't have to pay in order to play with others (On even terms).. And where servers won't be at eachother's throats because they're recieving passive income from owning a server. If you want to make money, get a job..

You don't have to make money by playing or even providing services in a videogame. (Especially when those services were not made by you.)

Looks like I get what I wanted at last :grin: Thank you Taleworlds! May you get incredibly rich in the future, and may your community prosper!

I respect the stance Taleworlds has taken here and I hope that this integrity and consideration for players will continue.

I'm 100% sold on Bannerlord and all future installments of the Warband series. To know that Taleworlds will not allow such abusive business practices in their games is admirable during an era of video gaming where it has become the norm to harass players and fans with micro-transactions and restricted content. To then extend this decree upon privately owned servers is an even greater display of respect and responsibility towards your fans. You have a strong and loyal community that will always support the growth of this series.

I don't know if TW will want to contact anyone before punishing someone that infringes on the policy, but server owners would be well advised to either share their contact information on the forum or their server. Similarly, server hosts might want to consider requiring their customers to denote "hosted by xyz" on their server or otherwise enable folks to quickly identify them as the hosts (given that a blacklisted server may affect other customers).

Duh said:
I don't know if TW will want to contact anyone before punishing someone that infringes on the policy, but server owners would be well advised to either share their contact information on the forum or their server. Similarly, server hosts might want to consider requiring their customers to denote "hosted by xyz" on their server or otherwise enable folks to quickly identify them as the hosts (given that a blacklisted server may affect other customers).
I host something like 46 servers in Warband. This includes approximately 90% of NW servers in Turkey.
I cant possibly know each and every of them meets with TWs policies.
Well I'm 100% sure I didn't violate policy regarding monetisation but I can't know if I violated any other policy or not.
A warning before punishment is a must.
Also every server I host has join message "Powered by Ibrahim Pasha" is that enough info for you to contact me or should I add Steam/TW accounts too.

İbrahim Pasha said:
Duh said:
I host something like 46 servers in Warband. This includes approximately 90% of NW servers in Turkey.
I cant possibly know each and every of them meets with TWs policies.
Well I'm 100% sure I didn't violate policy regarding monetisation but I can't know if I violated any other policy or not.
A warning before punishment is a must.
Also every server I host has join message "Powered by Ibrahim Pasha" is that enough info for you to contact me or should I add Steam/TW accounts too.

A cleaner policy is to simply set up your IPs with reverse DNS that returns to your website. TaleWorlds can then easily tell who the host is and go through the usual abuse / contact channels. That's what we've already implemented at any rate.

Duh said:

If you are enforcing a policy like this, and you are asking hosts and admins to put time in to adjusting to this new policy I believe TW should also put in time enforcing it in a responsible manner. You have already blocked a few hosts in the past, without realizing that multiple other servers were also affected whilst being completely unrelated to the offending server. And that without first contacting the host.

It's the only way I see something like this working.

Captain Conner said:
Duh said:

If you are enforcing a policy like this, and you are asking hosts and admins to put time in to adjusting to this new policy I believe TW should also put in time enforcing it in a responsible manner. You have already blocked a few hosts in the past, without realizing that multiple other servers were also affected whilst being completely unrelated to the offending server. And that without first contacting the host.

Just a quick note to make sure that nobody gets the wrong idea. Taleworlds forum moderators and administrators are not TW employees, they are volunteers. Equally I don't think any of the mods have the power to shut down servers. If this happened in the past, I would presume this was something that the previous Community Manager did, CaptainLust.
I believe there was talk in the past about pirate servers running on older versions of warband, it is entirely possible that these servers (and their hosts) were targeted by a blacklisting.

MaHuD said:
Captain Conner said:
Duh said:

Just a quick note to make sure that nobody gets the wrong idea. Taleworlds forum moderators and administrators are not TW employees, they are volunteers. Equally I don't think any of the mods have the power to shut down servers. If this happened in the past, I would presume this was something that the previous Community Manager did, CaptainLust.
I believe there was talk in the past about pirate servers running on older versions of warband, it is entirely possible that these servers (and their hosts) were targeted by a blacklisting.
I don't think that Connor is refering to Duh, but TW...

For once I actually agree with Connor. If you are going to enforce a policy then you (TW) should spend the time to enforce it in a professional manner. Simply blacklisting a whole server box is going to **** over not just the few that break the rules, but all those on the box. As previously mentioned by several people, it's not exactly hard to contact a server host to give warning. I doubt, despite the creation of certain aspect of this policy, it is TW's aim to kill their game, but if effort is not put into enforcing this appropriately I believe it might seem that way.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
If we find someone in breach of this policy then our initial response will be to contact the server owner or host to explain the situation and ask them to resolve it in a timely manner. If that fails, we will add the server to the blacklist.

MaHuD said:
Captain Conner said:
Duh said:

I meant to refer to TW in that post, not Duh or any other forum mod for that matter of course.

Hero_of_Ferelden said:
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
If we find someone in breach of this policy then our initial response will be to contact the server owner or host to explain the situation and ask them to resolve it in a timely manner. If that fails, we will add the server to the blacklist.

It does state that, however I am afraid it will be another situation like we had in the past where a server got blacklisted, along with everyone on that IP range. I don't know if this happened in error, but they seem to have banned the entire location at 217.182.xxx.xxx.

We can not force people to use a custom server message to let TW identify a server, because:

A. it can be changed from the in-game admin
B. there is no external way to check the server message to verify that it is still what it is supposed to be.
C. it's very easy to fake a server message. Could be used to get a server host in trouble.

As suggested by me and others in this thread, TW should be looking at reverse DNS. It's easy to verify whether the hostname is actually valid for that IP address.

I think TW should open a contact list, where server hosts can put in all of their server IP addresses on there to make it simpler for them to contact people.

My main fear from this is people are going to report my server using old screenshots of the donation system prior to our update where we're adjusting to the new policy to try and shut down my server because they are salty for being banned or are competition.

Even a few days downtime could have big problems.

Im pretty sure this is just groundwork being laid for Bannerlord and Taleworlds really is just going to half ass the enforcement policy here to test some waters. Im sure you will be fine.

Rainbow Dash said:
Im pretty sure this is just groundwork being laid for Bannerlord and Taleworlds really is just going to half ass the enforcement policy here to test some waters. Im sure you will be fine.

If they want to put a policy like this in place then we can't sit here and rely on them "half ass" enforcing anything - there are companies like ours that make a considerable part of our living from providing services to their customers. If there are going to be regulations imposed on us (especially ones that cut into our profit margins or reduce the quality of our services, as with the policy on selling scripts) then we need to be able to have regular contact with them via a proper channel of communication.

althalus311 said:
Rainbow Dash said:

If they want to put a policy like this in place then we can't sit here and rely on them "half ass" enforcing anything - there are companies like ours that make a considerable part of our living from providing services to their customers. If there are going to be regulations imposed on us (especially ones that cut into our profit margins or reduce the quality of our services, as with the policy on selling scripts) then we need to be able to have regular contact with them via a proper channel of communication.

+1

Back
Top Bottom