Prisoners and Garrison Troops Disapearing for No Reason

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshMaxii

Recruit
I managed to start my own kingdom yesterday, and noticed something rather strange.  When I would drop prisoners off in my dungeons, they'd slowly trickle away in numbers.  I thought it was just part of the mod, where prisoners die in captivity / escape so I thought nothing of it.  I checked the garrison of my castle an hour or so later, and much to my horror 80+ troops had just vanished into thin air.  What the heck is going on? Are they deserting?!

Edit: It just happened again, garrison went from 120+ men down to 73 with no clear cause.  I'm not at war, so nobody is attacking me...yet my troops keep disapearing all at once.  What is happening? For further clarification, the castle this is occurring at is Tardus, in the Sultanate.

Edit 2: Went from 73 to 9 men in one go.  Finally decided to give up and hand Tardus over to a vassal and see if it helps...

Edit 3: Nope, happened to my vassal too! Went down from 148 men down to 68...Tardus is cursed!

Is this in a castle you are the lord of, or in a castle WITHOUT a lord in your kingdom? (E.g. you took it and postponed assigning a lord)

If it is the latter, then it is either Native Warband or part of Diplomacy (although I do not know if parts of Diplomcay are in Nova Aetas):

Fiefs without a lord and lords' parties will only support units of their culture and some units of commoner/bandit/neutral cultures, unsupported units will get dismissed, some neutral units may be converted to prisoners.

Also lordless fiefs (and, actually, AI lorded fiefs) have their own budget and will lose troops if budget is exceeded, even if troops are of their supported cultures. And they also sell prisoners to help bugget. And prisoners in AI fiefs also get auto-culled from time to time.

Sergio, that may be the cause of this indeed. Well done finding this. Still, Josh needs to confirm, but it looks very plausible.

Nova Aetas has no parts of the Diplomacy mod, since there are more than 1,000 lines to add... Though there's a script that removes non-playerfaction troops after a reinforcement. The main purposes of this script are to make playerfaction vassal armies homogeneous and to remove the 'x'-named troops which are added in the first instance.

This fires for AI parties only, though if the player hasn't assigned a fief to someone or to himself, the script thinks it's an AI party and thus removes some members.
As these script must run... I'll need to disable the option to postphone assignment. Thank you for your clever contribution.  :grin:

Ahhh, so you have a script that removes units from AI parties too!

How devious of mod developers to prevent players from reinforcing their vassals with assorted levies, instead of faction-specific troops!

:party:

(Anyway, the behaviour described in the first post was far too similar to <<disappearing reinforcements bug>> from Diplomacy/Floris/ACOK for me to not mention it.)

Quintillius said:
Are they crusader/jihad troops while the crusade/jihad has ended?

Nope! They're my kingdom troops.  I'd taken Tardus, postponed granting it to myself or a vassal for the free garrison, and then immediately went back to my capitol to grant it to myself.  My banner was flying over it the entire time.  Now my vassal's troops are disappearing from Tardus as well, and they've got kingdom troops as well.

Sergio_Morozov said:
Is this in a castle you are the lord of, or in a castle WITHOUT a lord in your kingdom? (E.g. you took it and postponed assigning a lord)

If it is the latter, then it is either Native Warband or part of Diplomacy (although I do not know if parts of Diplomcay are in Nova Aetas):

Fiefs without a lord and lords' parties will only support units of their culture and some units of commoner/bandit/neutral cultures, unsupported units will get dismissed, some neutral units may be converted to prisoners.

Also lordless fiefs (and, actually, AI lorded fiefs) have their own budget and will lose troops if budget is exceeded, even if troops are of their supported cultures. And they also sell prisoners to help bugget. And prisoners in AI fiefs also get auto-culled from time to time.

This was actually a castle that I had claimed.  I had initially postponed the assignment to myself or another lord until I got back to my capitol, at which point I claimed Tardus for myself.  My banner was flying over Tardus the entire time while my troops disappeared.  I had the budget to easily maintain the garrison, but I'd come back at the end of a week - 2 week cycle, and half of them or more would vanish at the same time.

Quintillius said:
Glad you noticed that. You saved me from spending hours searching for the problem script.
I was like: man, that guy has an IQ of 175+.

JoshMaxii said:
This was actually a castle that I had claimed.  I had initially postponed the assignment to myself or another lord until I got back to my capitol, at which point I claimed Tardus for myself.  My banner was flying over Tardus the entire time while my troops disappeared.  I had the budget to easily maintain the garrison, but I'd come back at the end of a week - 2 week cycle, and half of them or more would vanish at the same time.

Owww, looks like I am not that smart after all  :ohdear:

Hmm troops shouldn't disappear after you had it assigned to yourself. Are you sure that the disappearances didn't take place between the postponement and assignment at the capital?
As far as I see, there's only one Nova aetas script to periodically remove troops from parties.

Quintillius said:
Hmm troops shouldn't disappear after you had it assigned to yourself. Are you sure that the disappearances didn't take place between the postponement and assignment at the capital?
As far as I see, there's only one Nova aetas script to periodically remove troops from parties.

I'm very sure.  I didn't put a single soul in the garrison until I claimed it, which was like 2 minutes later.

Quintillius said:
Do you mind telling which center it is and uploading your savegame?

It was the fortress of Tardus, in the Holy Land.  I'll try to go about uploading my save, though I'm not sure if the problem will be replicated given that I handed Tardus to a Vassal out of sheer frustration of losing so many troops.

Also, what you said about non-owned castles and towns cutting troops; perhaps there was a glitch where even though I claimed the fortress, it wasn't recognized as such and kept cutting my garrison?

Well your banner may fly above the gate, but that doesn't say that you're the lord (in fact you are, but not according to the script).
Upon choosing for 'I want the center for myself' makes you the rightful owner.

I had to rebuild my computer and therefor couldn't really post my save game.  However, going back and looking at it again after playing; I've realized that there is a very odd layer to this.  It's not a matter of my entire garrison disappearing; The first troop type listed in the garrison is the only kind that doesn't disappear.  All the others just vanish into thin air.  So I have a castle stationed with 100+ odd recruits and it's stayed that way for a while.

BTW this is STILL Tardus.

Back
Top Bottom