+Previous+ Q & A Placeholder

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke_Kenneth

Sergeant
John7 said:
How many players will each battle or siege be played with?

7 v 7 ?

10 v 10 ?

EDIT: Khergits will be allowed ? Will random plains be a map choice ?  :???:

You can only pick one faction the whole campaign ?

So 4 questions  :smile: sorry  :oops:

Battle scale is something we struggled with a little bit. We want to strike the right balance between allowing smaller clans to be competitive but at the same time not penalizing larger clans. So, in what I think was a stroke of brilliance :razz: we decided to ditch the idea of round victories for battle. When you enter a battle you will have a certain number of "reinforcements" (defined by your actions on the campaign map) and that number corresponds to the number of causalities you can take before you 'lose'. The battle spans however many rounds it takes to reach that number and it doesn't matter who wins the rounds, just how many on each side are killed overall. We felt this struck a good balance between allowing larger clans to field their strength but at the same time allowing smaller clans to compete.
So, for example, if two clans were to enter into battle with the same number of reinforcements, it would be entirely dependent on the ratio of kills. Clans can decide on their own if they're better off flooding the battlefield with troops or if they want to just send in an elite squad.

As for the rest, until July 15th, it's all still subject to change but I am fairly certain about these answers:
Khergits: Yes. (see the Nation Types F.A.Q. answer)
Random Plains: Yes. (but only on specific tiles - each map territory is linked to a few scene choices)
Only one faction: No. The faction you pick is just the feel of your clan's starting territories. Army faction is entirely dependent on where you have recruited it from. So, as the campaign progresses, you will get different types of armies as territory changes hands.

Hope that helps!
Feel free to post any more questions - it's fairly difficult to put this all cogently in a single post so answering questions might be the best way to get all the info out.

-Ken

The basic concept is that on the Campaign map (the strategic, turn-based world that is run through the website) you have armies.

Each army has a size.
(An army's size is determined by the events on the campaign map.)
(Size has nothing to do with how many players show up. Although, you can never field at one time more than the total size.)

This size is the number of times that army can have a player killed before being destroyed. (e.g. if an army has 50 troops, that army can suffer 50 deaths before losing; those 50 can be spread across any number of rounds - 5 ppl get killed 10 times each, etc.)

So, lets take an example scenario after the jump:
Mandorallin said:
alright, now I'm getting confused with the battle setup as well.  Are player numbers ignored? As in regardless of how many players you have available at a given time, you still only have X units available to fight a given battle?  Though obviously you can only field as many as you have players...

Let's go with a few scenarios,  Balion vs GK just to give some names:

- Both teams have 10 players.
- Both teams field 10.
- Both have 15 reinforcements.

2a.
- GK has 8 players, Balion have 10 players
- Both field 8
- Both have 15 reinforcements (would the +2 players count towards reinforcements for Balion)

2b.
- As above, but Balion field their full 10.

- GK has 12, Balion has 12
- Both field 12
- GK has 10 reinforcements, Balion has 5

How would each team win?  So essentially you have X lives available to you at a given fight, regardless of how many people you can field, and when your number of lives reaches 0 (or you retreat [ is that possible?]) your team is defeated... so you just decide beforehand how many lives are being utilized, both teams know how many lives each team has before the fight, then they go until the deaths for one team reaches their limit?

And should I even ask about sieges? lol.

Scenario 1:
  A GK army of 15 troops meets a Balion army of 15 troops on the campaign map.
  They are hostile to each other so they schedule a battle.
  The map is selected by where the armies met on the campaign map.
  Spawn is selected by the clan which submitted its movement order first. (more on that later)
  On the day of the battle, both clans have 10 players show up. Because 10 is less than their respective army sizes, they each can field up to 10 troops.
  They decide independently how many they want to field; both pick 10.
  Round 1 is fought using the standard Battle gamemode. Results: GK wins the round (killing 10 Balions) but Balion killed 8 GKians in the process.
  After round 1, the army sizes are now GK:7 (The initial 15 minus the 8 casualties) and Balion:5 (15 minus 10).
  For round 2, because GK's army size is now 7, they can only field up to 7 troops. Likewise Balion can now only field up to 5.
  Balion decides to field the entire last 5 of their troops. GK decides it doesn't want to suffer any extra casualties and so only fields its best 5 players.
  Round 2 is fought. Results: GK's strategy backfired and Balion won the round (killing 5 GKians) and GK only killed 2 Balions.
  Thus the army sizes now stand as GK:2 (7 minus 5) and Balion:3 (5 minus 2)
  So, for round 3, GK can field up to 2 and Balion can field up to 3.
  Both clans decide to field their whole strength (GK fields 2, Balion fields 3).
  Round 3 is fought. Results: Balion wins (killing 2 GKians) but GK still kills 1 Balion
  GK's army is completely destroyed (2 minus 2) and Balion's army only has 2 reinforcements left (3 minus 1).
  So, there is a Balion army of 2 troops on the campaign map and no GK army.

Ok, that should give you an idea of how it works. HOWEVER, some of that process is moot for the campaign because the campaign will we using much larger numbers for reinforcement counts and an army will be automatically destroyed when it's reinforcements drop below 10. So, if you were to multiply every number in that scenario by 5, you could get something that actually might happen in the campaign.*

Siege is slightly more complicated. You can win a siege by simply killing the entire enemy army through the same rules as battle, but there is a slight twist. If the attackers win three rounds, the gamemode switches to TDM and the armies play TDM inside the castle until one is completely destroyed.

*(Also, if a normal Battle lasts for more than 2hrs, it also imediatly switches to TDM for the remainder of the reinforcements.)

I know that's still kinda confusing, so if you want some more examples, just say so and I'll work a few out when I get back from work.

Cheers,
Ken

P.S. All of the rules will be posted in a cogent manner on July 15th. I'm more than willing to answer any questions until then, but if you don't understand, don't panic; it will be clearer later.  :smile:

skyssoldier said:
Oh and some sort of reward for the winner?

You can transfer money freely between clans so I can definitely imagine tournament prizes / buy-ins etc.

I know for a fact wK will be hosting some of that nature.  :cool:

That's probably pretty close to what we'll see. It's entirely dependent on your internet connection though; from my university in Texas (and fiber) I can play on EU servers with <50 ping, but currently, from home in California and sucky internet, I get 50+ ping on just West Coast servers. When I moved from TX back to CAL for the summer, my ping actually went up on CAL servers.  :???:

However, when we were talking about the rules, we decided that we felt the benefits of being able to cater to a global player-base outweighed the hassle of higher ping and time-zone scheduling awkwardness.

If the community has any thoughts on how to compensate for the issues, we'd love to hear them. So far, the way we're dealing with it is to have each clan select a time-zone when formally registering and take this time-zone into account when placing the clans in their starting locations. Also, when defending one of your castles you always get the advantage of a server in your time-zone (and for neutral battles and skirmishes, an equidistant server is chosen).

The net result of all of that is that the closer you are to your starting territory, the lower your ping in going to be. If it helps, you can think of ping in terms of supply lines: The further away from your land they get, the less well fed and more tired your troops are, hence the sluggish reaction time. :razz:

BigBoss said:
Mad Dawg said:
KissMyAxe said:
Also, if Balion doesn't participate, I'll sign up as a freelancer.
We'll be in, just waiting on rules.  Great work Kenneth.  Excellent from what I've seen so far.  I especially like the Siege switch to TDM.  Good idea.  Plus the Battle balancing is very creative and I forsee it working out well. 
Probably need a pause between maps to figure out the how many troops you can get and decide on a strategy, which could cause a problem on Random Plains without a "working" reset map feature as the map will continually change.  ...just thinking outloud.
Or, since it'll have limited "squares" or "places" to go someone can make scenes of open fields but according to the terrain in the main map. Because, you know, if you're on a hill "square" a hill must be in the middle of the scene or in one side, not millions of them.

You're right (of course  :razz: ) - I hadn't considered the 'randomness' of Random Plains. I like Big Boss's solution though, we'll just make plains maps instead of using the random generator. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,
Ken

KissMyAxe said:
One concern regarding custom maps is that clans might be tempted to submit maps of, e.g., castles that are very hard to take and then use the above rule to select them as their starting property. How is this going to be addressed? I'm not saying that submitting maps should not be rewarded -- it should be -- but, maybe, there is another way?

I'd assume that the campaign admins will go over all the submissions and come to an agreement as to whether or not a map will be accepted and used in the campaign.  To blindly accept any or all submissions is pretty irresponsible and can jeopardize the flow of the campaign, which I would believe is being structured for as much level-play as can be found.

Dogman said:
Hey guys, im a big fan of warband but is the  Campain multiplayer thing going to be added? my friend said he would pay 60 bucks if an expansion came out for that. Just wondering if itll be like the regular campain thing, like 2 people could play in a private room. Like if you wanted to play campain with them? and how do i sign up for this? and when will it happen?
This is not an expansion this an online community Multiplayer event.

Didn't read the entire OP; just skimmed it, but from what I can tell this'll be similiar in idea to cRPG's Strategus, but without the whole grind and rather "special" playerbase, correct?  Awesome.

Don't know what that is, but I think so. It's very similar to playing a Total War game. You have the Campaign map, and when two armies clash, you take it down to a little rumble between your side and your adversaries. Although I'm still a bit curious how movement is going to work in this campaign.

Haha - well, ok then:

Slytacular said:
I think I've read some where that you will have pieces on the board? For each turn, does a team move one piece, or do multiple?
You are permitted to move every army under your control each turn. That's not to say you'll want to though; there are defensive benefits to remaining stationary. e.g. picking your spawn if you are attacked

Slytacular said:
How far can some of our pieces move on the map?
This is one of the final sections that hasn't been finalized yet: Right now the magic number is 3 spaces. Currently we aren't using hextiles, instead using oddly shaped 'territories' similar to the board game "Risk".
original.jpg

Slytacular said:
Do we have a lot of armies, or very little? Do we create armies?
The clans will start with several armies varying strengths (depending on nation type). They can then recruit (purchase) more armies and troops up to their maximum army count. (The maximum number of armies under your control is based off of the number and kinds of territories you control. Every created army is linked to a territory; the prosperity level of this territory determines the maximum number of troops that can be divided among its bound armies. There are four types of controllable territory: Capitols, Cities, Castles, and Farmland. The first three can have armies bound to them. Capitols can have any number of bound armies; cities can have up to three; castles can have only one.)

Slytacular said:
Are there any other special pieces that are not armies? Like spies, princesses, assassins, diplomats, merchants?
Not at the present time. I'd love to see something like this added at a later date, but every system we came up with added way too much complexity for the supposed gameplay benefit.  :neutral:

Slytacular said:
What does our pieces look like? Will I get to pick my favorite color  :grin:?
Not really... :sad: I have zero imagination so an army's piece is just a circle with the banner of its clan, the banner of its owner, and the army's name, size, and tech level written underneath.

And an update on the ruleset:
We've been going through final testing but we've encountered some balance issues. We are experimenting with several fixes and I expect that we'll have it all resolved and ready to be published Friday. However, I feel like I should warn you that a few days delay might be necessary. (If that becomes the case, the pre-registration deadline and the beginning and deadline of formal registration will be pushed back a corresponding number of days.)

Edit: And thanks to Judah, we now have our very own forum sig  :grin:

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,181135.0.html][IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/2iNj6s6icDoUuq1xlnGoYy32b79NOJi57ooWeXOQ4wnW60_8GjXBLT0bwIpC4GsIMR0asSuI2OdIoUampMTEeMh3jw=s512[/IMG][/url]

John7 said:
What type of game map will be used?

3D like single player map or 2D like Forts map or something else entirely

We are currently building a 3D map with the in-game scene editor. We will then populate it with miniature versions of all the castles and cities.

Freebird said:
If you guys need any event administrators or moderators, I'll volunteer for whichever is more needed.

Thanks! Look for my PM within the evening  :smile:

Marin Peace Bringer said:
A couple of questions.

On the turn cycle, will each clan have an assigned position within the turn cycle, or will it be first come first serve? (as in the first clan to send you there "moves" etc get to be the first ones to do it?)

John7 said:
@ turn cycle

I think each clan should have a position just like any total war game or civilization game

Just my 50 cents ^^

Currently, each clan will not have a position assigned. There will be a two/three day window that clans will have to log on to the ROCK site and submit their orders. For the most part, everything happens simultaneously.
In only a few select cases, does submission order matter. The most common of which is selecting spawn (Even then though, only if everything else is equal).

Also, will clans be able to submit there own custom siege maps for there capitol territory?
Yes. :grin:  I am strongly hoping for the community to respond with a large number of custom maps of both the battle and siege variety.

But with restrictions, there has to be X number of entrances into the castle, then X number of paths to the flag etc.
Guidelines will be provided, however there will be no hard and fast rules like the ones you've given as an example. As a general principle, we have written the rules to require as few subjective decisions from the Campaign Administrators as possible. With regard to the approval of maps, however, we have decided on the opposite approach; there are just too many variables to take into account. So, what we decided is that maps will be approved by 2+ Campaign Administrators to be used in the campaign.

(FYI, the vocab that I'm using:// 'Faction' = Swadia, Nords, etc. // 'Nation' = Clan)

Rurin said:
Theoretically, say more than 2 'factions' attack a single place. How does this play out, as there isn't any support for multiple faction battles. A deathmatch (organized into teams?), which would then become a problem if the 3+ teams had completely different factions... Would it simply be a normal battle, and the victor faces the third team? If so, who takes place in the first battle? etc. etc.
Thanks in advance for the answers.

This is the double edged sword of the "Initiative" that I was talking about in my last post. The first nation to submit the movement order is considered the first to arrive, allowing them to pick which spawn they want for a "normal" (1vs.1 and non-siege) battle. Here's the double edge'd part though: if more armies pile on the space, the battles are resolved in the order they 'arrived'. (1st Clan vs. 2nd Clan; then, winner vs. 3rd Clan) Meaning that the first army will have a tough time being the surviving army.

That being said, the battle maps are not intended to be 'balanced' in the traditional sense and as such, picking spawn is sometimes worth fighting an extra battle.

Note that because we are using larger territory shaped tiles instead of hex-tiles and on account of the fact that if at any point in your movement you cross you are brought to battle, it is highly unlikely that there will ever be more than three armies that are all hostile to each other occupying the same space. I imagine that three alone will be fairly rare.

Also note that allied nations that are of the same faction my fight the match as one, creating a potentially overwhelming force. (Simply keep track of casualties separately)

Kinda complicated so let's do some examples:

A DoF army, a GK army, and a Balion army all 'end up' (sorry, not even going to try and explain movement w/out pictures  :wink:) on the same campaign territory.

Scn#1: DoF, GK, and Balion are all hostile to each other.
GK submitted it's movement first, Balion second, and DoF third.
The first battle is fought between GK and Balion. GK picks spawn.
The survivor battles DoF. 'Survivor' picks spawn.

Scn#2: Dof is hostile toward GK and Balion, and vice versa. GK and Balion are allied. GK's and Balion's armies are different factions.
GK submitted it's movement first, Balion second, and DoF third.
GK and Balion are the first to 'arrive' and set up camp.
DoF arrives next, GK and Balion decide among themselves who fights DoF first. GK/ Balion picks spawn.
If DoF triumphs against the first, they proceed to fight the second. DoF picks spawn.

Scn#3: Dof is hostile toward GK and Balion, and vice versa. GK and Balion are allied. GK's and Balion's armies are the same faction.
DoF submitted it's movement first, Balion second, and GK third.
DoF is the first to 'arrive' and set up camp.
GK and Balion combine their forces and fight DoF at the same time. DoF picks spawn.

Hopefully that mess gives you some idea - if not, just say so and I can try explaining differently and work out some more examples.  :smile:

ManOfWar said:
So will this be like Crpg's strategus?

I have never played Crpg or Crpg strategus so I cannot say for certain, but several others have made that same comparison.

Mad Dawg said:
I have been to the ROCK sight...and it is good.

Two Three questions that arose from last nights meeting:
Combatants that will fight in the actual matches, must they specifically be apart of the clan/clans involved?  In other words, what is the match "merc" policy.

Only those registered as part of that army's clan may fight in the battle. The only way to get two clans fighting as a unit would be to stack same faction armies on the same space and move them together.

There are however, two exceptions:

1) The first is Freelancers, whom cannot be a member of a clan (or hold land, armies, etc.), but may show up at any battle(s) they wish, provided that the clan hiring them pays a flat, per freelancer/ battle fee. The freelancer, for all intents and purposes, is just the same as a clanmember at that point (i.e. his deaths count as army casualties) for that battle.

2) After the first few weeks of the campaign, clans will have the option to form alliances which provide the options for the capitols of those nations to produce 'joint' armies. In these extra-expensive joint armies, anyone a member of the clans in the alliance my fight.

Mad Dawg said:
When taking over a settlement that has purchased upgrades, will you recieve these upgrades by taking control or will the settlement lose the upgrade due to being captured and you purchase them yourself as owner of that settlement?

When a city is captured, the upgrades are destroyed in the process. Upgrades are one of our money-sinks to try to prevent inflation.

Mad Dawg said:
Will every faction be granted an armoured horse for the Tech 4 Lord's Bodyguard class?  Specifically Nords which are lacking one.

Thank you Kenneth for this, this is going to be big.

Yes, one of the items added to Nords is the Warhorse (the one used by Swadia and Rhodoks). We struggled with this for a little bit, but Nord Cav no longer get free javs (on account of tech levels) so we decided to let them progress toward heavier cav.

Mandorallin said:
We went over mercenaries (as the nation type) to some length in the discussion but what about brigands?  Will there be roaming bands of thieves or some such that we will have to deal with?  Or would existing nation types essentially be able to function as a group of bandits?

The closest we have to something like that is the Nation Type "Raiding Force", with their "Looting" power.
Raiding Force: You take what you want from wherever you want, those stuffed-up arrogant lords be damned! The world is for the strongest to take and the weak to get out of the way. You pillage, plunder, rape, and loot, with little thought besides your next meal. Nothing is sacred to you.
  Powers:    Looting (Each enemy territory you cross does not produce any wealth the following two turns.)
                  Hated (Every city or capitol you attack is considered to have purchased the Town Watch upgrade.)
  Factions: Rhodoks, Nords, Khergits
For several reasons, we are avoiding NPC-owned armies & territories at all costs.

Hope that helps  :cool:

A couple of questions before I register for my clan.  First, for the Highborn members, can a member be added as a highborn member AFTER the campaign starts? 
During the actual body of the campaign, yes. HOWEVER, because of the enormous amounts of information that are being condensed and published in the initial weeks of the campaign, we are going to have a mini 'tutorial' period that lasts several weeks. During these few weeks certain features will not be available for simplicity's sake (e.g. sieges, claimants, some diplomacy features). Likewise, adding new members to the Highborn list is disabled during this time.
Apologies for the inconvenience that might cause, but the campaign is complex and I don't want the data to be overwhelming to begin with.  :neutral:

And also should the Nation Tag be different from the our standard clan tag or does it matter?
Completely up to you :smile: The idea is that everyone will have a more organic name for feasts, tournaments, rp events, etc. (e.g. Kenneth Imperium) but that when you are fighting battles you have you tags on (e.g. wK_Cmdr_Kenneth). I know that for wK it makes the most sense for our nation tag to match our non-ROCK tag, although I can also imagine clans who would prefer otherwise.

Thanks, and looking forward to this!  :grin:
Me too-
It's taking a lot longer to get off the ground than I hoped, but looking back I was definitely foolishly optimistic with the dates. However, I think once we do get it to get it together, it'll be awesome :grin:

Characters requiring a factsheet/character sheet are those who will be considered "Highborn" - these individuals will be able to hold, obtain land and armies among other stuff.  Whether or not an individual is required to submit such a document should be taken up with the respective leaders of the groups registered for the campaign.

If for whatever reason an individual is not initially a highborn, there is the opportunity to adjust/change that once the campaign has begun rolling, though it may take a few weeks to get to that point, so if you aren't one to start off with and want to or should be then there's really nothing to worry about as it can be addressed in the future.

Edit.  Having re read this, need Kenneth to clarify something: What is the difference between trusted commanders and highborn? There are not one and the same correct? though I would imagine that an individual could be both highborn AND a trusted commander..

Mandorallin said:
Edit.  Having re read this, need Kenneth to clarify something: What is the difference between trusted commanders and highborn? There are not one and the same correct? though I would imagine that an individual could be both highborn AND a trusted commander..

Highborn are those in the clan who have filled out a character sheet and are located on a family tree. You must be classified as a Highborn to be able to own land, spawn as a command group on the campaign map, and issue orders to armies and territories.

You must be a highborn to be listed as a trusted commander. "Trusted Commanders" are the people who can direct an army on the campaign map if they are within their command range.

(Side note: The trusted commander lists are army-specific.)

broken shield said:
I will ask if my clan if it's intrested.
Sounds good, I hope that they are :smile: If you guys have any questions feel free to ask them here or PM me.

King of Scotland said:
Name of Clan:Clan Cameron
In-game Tag: *CC
Contact Person & Means of Contact: *King of Scotland - Steam - themehike
Approx. Number of Players:Around 10-13
Nation Type: *Europe
Faction: *Nord preferably
Recruiting: Y/N, Yes, application at our website.
Clan Thread & Website: *Thread - Website
Lore Overview:Fiercer than the fierceness itself, a Cameron! A steady folk who relies on friends and co-warriors in battle.

Hope we can still join.

Awesome! I will add you to the listing. Pre-registration is open so you are guaranteed Nord, if that is your preference.
Oh, and ha - Nation Type refers to the type of clan you're going to play in the campaign (choose from the list below).  :wink:
Duke_Kenneth said:
Conquering Military: Your enemies fall quickly to your disciplined armies and once you have secured them, you waste no time converting the population (by force if necessary) and establishing rule of law. After all, loyalty and unity are paramount.
  Powers:    Cultural Dominance (When recruiting armies, you may choose to create them of your starting faction, regardless of the faction of the recruitment location.)
                  Overlords (Armies count at 125% of normal value when considering population caps.)
  Factions: Swadia, Saranid, Vaegrirs

Feudal Lordship: You are content to sit in your castles and benefit from the work of your serfs/ slaves in peacetime; however, should you feel threatened, you have no difficulty assembling your bannermen and marching to war. Personal honor and defense of your homeland are your motivation.
  Powers:    Paranoia (You may not add anyone to the Trusted Commanders List that is not in your nation.)
                  Prosperity (Each production phase in which you have a territory bonus, those included within have their base Prosperity Level increased by 25%)
  Factions: Swadia, Saranid, Nords

Mercenary Company: Be it for the glory, the thrills, the gold, or to win the love of that out-of-your-league girl, you have turned war into your profession and come to rely on your fellows as brothers. Your sword is likely available to the highest bidder, for you worship diligently at the altar of gold and glory.
  Powers:    Adaptable Tactics (For the temporary penalty of one Tech Level, you may choose to morph your faction to match that of an ally you are fighting with.)
                  War, not Politics (You do not receive any bonuses for uniting territory, neither do you interrupt the territory bonuses of others.)
  Factions: Swadia, Nords, Khergits

Raiding Force: You take what you want from wherever you want, those stuffed-up arrogant lords be damned! The world is for the strongest to take and the weak to get out of the way. You pillage, plunder, rape, and loot, with little thought besides your next meal. Nothing is sacred to you.
  Powers:    Looting (Each enemy territory you cross does not produce any wealth the following two turns.)
                  Hated (Every city or capitol you attack is considered to have purchased the Town Watch upgrade.)
  Factions: Rhodoks, Nords, Khergits

Rebellion: The world has conspired against you, but no longer! You have rallied the similarly unfortunate, and risen up in a sea of blood to claim what should have been yours long ago. After ages spent beholden to ungrateful lords, your freedom and success are all that matter now.
  Powers:    Sword in the Shadows (Each turn, an army may be designated as "in the Shadows" and is invisible to all other nations.)
                  Liberators (Upon capturing a city or capitol, choose an army to swell by 25%.)
  Factions: Rhodoks, Khergits, Vaegrirs

Republic: Despite the land going up in flames around you, your motives to protect your people remain pure. Now that your land is safe you set out to educate and free the rest of the land from oppressors. You are a beacon of light and freedom in this dark medieval world.
  Powers:    Popular Love (Armies are considered to be 60% of their actual size when computing population caps. However, the maximum Tech Level of each army is one less than it otherwise would be.)
                  Personal Property (You may choose to double your production at certain territories for a turn; however, the following turn the affected territories produce nothing and no upgrades may be purchased.)
  Factions: Saranid, Rhodoks, Vaegrirs

Scott Ray said:
Not really, you state that the character does not need to be "highborn" and then go on to state that they must be born of a noble house, aka highborn, or am I misunderstanding something?

Sorry, I've botched the explanation. Let me start over:

"Highborn" is the meta-game distinction that means you have filled out a character factsheet and your clan leader has approved it. This classification comes with the ability to hold personal property, direct armies, and spawn as a command group on the campaign map.

To be a "Highborn" you do not necessarily need to be of high birth. Again "Highborn" is simply the term we are using to distinguish the players who are eligible to hold personal property, etc.

I think the confusion comes from the noble house idea. Every landowner is required to be defined as a member of a Noble House as there are some gameplay effects. You don't necessarily have to be a noble though. If you want to RP a commoner who conquered/ was gifted his land just recently, you can.  You can then set up your own house with you as the first member. So, what we're saying is that nobility isn't a prerequisite to landownership, it is a result.

Mandorallin said:
Arch3r said:
Assuming that this campaign will use a custom module, how much stuff will be actually modified? Will classes and equipment be updated? Can clans have some custom clan-specific weaponry (would be cool if done right)?

The idea is to offer this campaign through native so its as accessible as possible (unless that's changed without my knowing).  "Classes" as such would be reflected in available equipment choices allotted to the troops of each specific army (we use something called "tech levels" which correspond to different tiers of armaments available to a given army)  so one army might have a higher tech level and so their cavalry may be able to use chargers and sport the heaviest armour and weapons while another with a lower tech level may only be able to use default gear.  There is currently an "armoury expansion" addition for native used by GK (and I think wK servers as well) which offer additional weapons and armour fitting to every faction.  I think either this will be used, or another armoury pack will be made to accommodate the ROCK campaign needs.  On clan-specific gear, I can't comment.

Right. Everything we do is going to be native-compatible.

None of the native multiplayer stats/ items will be changed or removed. Servers running our module will still be able to hold normal native matches.

There will be quite a few armory additions but these will all be priced more expensive than any of the existing items so as not to disrupt 'normal' play. One of the examples we've given so far is that Nords will have access to Warhorses for their Tech 4 Cav.

We are not adding in any new models, so the extent of the downloads for players will be a ROCK banner pack and 1-3 .txt files (depending on if they are admins on a ROCK server).

With regards to custom clan armor/ weaponry, we are doing something similar although less complex. It was an initial idea to allow clans to pick a custom armor that reflects their nation, etc. but we decided that it would be a nightmare to implement.

So, what we decided to compromise with are Capitol Armors. (Remember, there are four types of 'spaces' on the campaign map: farmland, castles, cities, and capitols; also remember that a capitol is the capitol of a pre-defined territory bonus region, not a clan; as such there will be fewer capitols than clans/ nations.)

Normally, the Tech 4 is the highest. When you are recruiting from capitols, though, you can go up to a "Tech 5" (called master-crafted to distinguish it). Each capitol will be able to produce a different type of master-crafted. A master-crafted army has a unique type of armor (although stats will be standardized) and unique weapon(s), as well as access to the rest of that factions weaponry.

So, for example: If you recruit a master-crafted army from a specific vaegir capitol, they will wear Strange Armor and have access to the Strange Sword in addition to all of the other vaegir weaponry from Tech's 1-4.

Shrike said:
This sounds like a lot of fun, I'd love to throw sharp things at people for the highest bidder :twisted: so I'd like to sign up as a freelance mercenary.

Ha! Sounds good, I'll add you.

King of Scotland said:
My excuses, I was in a hurry to the movies, hence I didn't read everything carefully.  :oops:

I fixed my application.

Name of Clan:Clan Cameron
In-game Tag: *CC
Contact Person & Means of Contact: *King of Scotland - Steam - themehike
Approx. Number of Players:Around 10-13
Nation Type: *Raiding Force
Faction: *Nord
Recruiting: Y/N, Yes, application at our website.
Clan Thread & Website: *Thread - Website
Lore Overview:Fiercer than the fierceness itself, a Cameron! A steady folk who relies on friends and co-warriors in battle.

Cheers,

KoS

Done :smile: and great to have you guys!

Mandorallin said:
Perhaps the term "highborn" should be changed to something like "proven, distinguished, respected or reputable" to fit the role more readily and avoid the noble/ignoble confusion.

Hmmm... I don't have a good answer now, but definitely worth considering... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom