PREVIOUS EVENT: Val de Saire (May 17th)

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think that was the problem, it was the only tactical sane thing to do lacking other defensible terrain. (It has to be said, also, that they might have done that for more rounds than the first except for the admin interference). Then again, if there was any defensible terrain, this would have probably been used every round.

To be fair it was the only hill which they could reach. Maybe a slope would have helped them. Though maybe that would have diverted from the actual regions topography ?

Map could be shifted more towards the area where the Engle side spawned?
More hilly over there, as well as the river (really more of a wet ditch).

Thanks to everybody for playing, and especially to Æscwine and Joub for leading both teams, Deorlaf for organizing the event, Þorkell for running it and Guðmund for creating two fantastic maps!

Personally I'm torn between the feeling that the Normans had too much cavalry (as their threat seemed to be constant) and the fact that, except maybe for the first round or two, that wasn't really the case (I counted them; they stayed well below the normal cap, close to 20%). Regardless, we felt completely at their mercy. I think that if we had played more rounds we would have figured something out, but without the discipline and cohesion of smaller forces with experience playing together that's very hard to do.

I know there's been relatively little emphasis on the historical background; that's because this is such an obscure campaign and very little is known about it (so Momchilo, I'm a bit sceptical about your disgust after reading about the effects of the English expedition on the nearby villages :razz:). But in case you're interested in what we kinda know happened next: The English were repelled and had to flee back to England. However, after the Battle of the Val de Saire Count Richard thought it was in his best interest to renounce his policy of support for the Vikings, perhaps because he feared the English might be back during the next campaigning season and he wasn't confident in defeating them a second time, or perhaps simply because he thought siding with the English instead of with the Vikings would be more profitable. In 1002 Æþelréd married Richard's sister, Emma (who would then take or be given the Anglo-Saxon name Ælfgifu), to seal a new peace treaty and alliance. We could perhaps say that the campaign was ultimately a tactical Norman victory, but a strategic English victory.

The new treaty went beyond merely restoring the status quo of 991, as England and Normandy were to enjoy close ties and very good relations until the Conquest. However, the Viking menace would soon escalate again. In 1001, Pallig defected to the Vikings with his ships. Against this backdrop of paranoia, the following year Æþelréd had countless Danes murdered throughout England in what came to be known as St. Brice's Day Massacre. According to tradition, one of the victims was Gunnhildr, Pallig's wife and sister of Sveinn 'Forkbeard', which prompted renewed expeditions by the latter culminating with his conquest of England (1013). Æþelréd fled to Normandy as an exile, where he was welcomed by Richard, which again goes to show how much the political and diplomatic situation changed after the battle of the Val de Saire. He would be restored after Svein's death, but would die himself in 1016, after which Svein's son, Knútr, seized the throne. Emma then married Knútr – her impact on English history cannot be overstated.

Niel viscount (known nowadays as Néel or Nigel I of Saint-Sauveur) went on to have a pretty brilliant career until his death ca. 1040. Ælfríc ealdorman, however, continued to have a reputation of untrustworthiness and of ambivalence towards the Vikings, but ironically he died at the battle of Assandun (1016), fighting against Knútr and the Danes.

Aethel said:
Thanks to everyone! God is truly with the folk of Normandy and the Contentine!
And I want to especially thank the Norman public host (Gent de la Sare) for their great teamwork, who made it very easy for me to lead them on the fly.

- Serle d'Iveri
Thanks for making up in my inexplicable absence. Sounds like you did good.

Rallix said:
Thanks for making up in my inexplicable absence. Sounds like you did good.
No problem, Rallix. I enjoyed it anyways, despite being initially hesitant.

MarchHare said:
We all know that, at the end of time, only one nation will remain: China.
Which is why we should bring Tang Dynasty to Vikingr  :lol:

Unfortunate that my usual commitments prevented me from enjoying the event at its full, but I did managed to record a few rounds of the first map.

Hopefully someone else recorded the whole event.

Great fun fighting with the public host, you guys were awesome. Shout out to Serle for leading us, unfortunately I had to leave before the Conquest phase, but it was good fun, nice to see the Normans won. Hopefully for the future event, "La cumpaignie de segunz filz" will be formed by then, and a magnificent Norman clan can take the field.

Yngvald said:
Rule zum Rabensang said:
I had my fun, and the conquest rounds had some tense action.
So it would seem, that many an avid churchgoer fell upon this fateful eve.
Aye, Norman and Saxon alike got together on the holy ground to lie there under His benevolent eyes. What an orison.

ThegnAnsgar said:
Great fun fighting with the public host, you guys were awesome. Shout out to Serle for leading us, unfortunately I had to leave before the Conquest phase, but it was good fun, nice to see the Normans won. Hopefully for the future event, "La cumpaignie de segunz filz" will be formed by then, and a magnificent Norman clan can take the field.

A Norman clan? Would it be focused on cavalry? Because if not, I would be interested.

However, I'm utterly incompetent for anything nor directly related to holding a shield in front of my face, so other than spear fodder, I can't do much. But hey, you can throw me against the enemy line.

Rule zum Rabensang said:
Yngvald said:
Rule zum Rabensang said:
I had my fun, and the conquest rounds had some tense action.
So it would seem, that many an avid churchgoer fell upon this fateful eve.
Aye, Norman and Saxon alike got together on the holy ground to lie there under His benevolent eyes. What an orison.

We're all equal in the eyes of God.

MarchHare said:
ThegnAnsgar said:

A Norman clan? Would it be focused on cavalry? Because if not, I would be interested.

However, I'm utterly incompetent for anything nor directly related to holding a shield in front of my face, so other than spear fodder, I can't do much. But hey, you can throw me against the enemy line.

As only events have enough players (correct me if I'm wrong) to really field much cavalry, no. I don't think any clan "focuses" on cavalry, in fact.
Infantry is always the basis of this mod and its setting (as far I know). And while cavalry will be, you know, a thing at some events like this one, you can always just dismount if you really don't feel like riding a mount into battle.
You could always do what a lot of the earlier migration period Germanics did: ride the horse into battle, but when the clash begins, dismount and join the shieldwall.

Anyways, you're of course more than welcome to join us!

A big thank you to everyone who participated in this event from me as well. I had great fun leading the Norman team to glorious victory, even if diminished slightly by not being outnumbered 3 to 2. Can't have everything I suppose :wink:

Especially I'd like to thank the event hosts and admins for doing a good job of ensuring a smooth event, the public host leaders for enabling more people to play in the event and last but by no means least: all the players and specifically host leaders on the Normant side. Leading you was a real pleasure. I do apologise for my voice as I'm down with a flu and had to wear a scarf to keep my throat warm during the event.

PS: Won't have much of an analysis available this time as I had my hands quite full with leading, but from what I could the Engle side seemed to lose cohesion more often, might've just been my impression. I could but won't give a few choise words about the maps though.

hrotha said:
(so Momchilo, I'm a bit sceptical about your disgust after reading about the effects of the English expedition on the nearby villages :razz:)

Well, the Englishmen had every reason to attack the Normans because they were providing shelter to the Vikings that raided them. What I really hated thoe is that instead of attacking the Norman soldiers and the King who was responsible for that decision, they went after women and children and succeeded in their endevour which was ironically the worst descision they could make because those same furious peasants were responsible for their ultimate failure. Keep in mind, I cant know what really happened because of lack of information, so this is mostly brainstorming xD

Anyway, as for the event itself, the Engles were at a disadvantage because the cavalary was able to harras the infantry and prevent it from forming stable formations. Still, the Normans fought well and they deserved the victory in that battle.

Event was enjoyable, althought I was annoyed that my axe kept bumping so much against leather armour even though I landed straight hits xD

Back
Top Bottom