PREVIOUS EVENT: Val de Saire (May 17th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Super cool event as usual, only better. Had tons of fun playing cavalry in an event, effectively even so. Thanks also to the Arnarins for having me as part of the retinue.

A thank you to everyone for fighting, my brothers most of all, and a big thank you to the organisers. The conquest map was lovely work by Gúða though I have to wonder at the mystery leaves in some of the streets, popping in and out of existence like particles at the quantum level. And last but not least, hats off to Æsc, considering his double challenge.

Yeah, cavalry is fun.
Unless you're on the receiving end.

Then, the funny thing is when the cavalryman falls from his horse and you get to stab him as much as you want.

Can only reiterate what has so adewuately been said by others: A great event. We sure had ourselves a blast with the House of Erle and Wolves!

Rule zum Rabensang said:
I had my fun, and the conquest rounds had some tense action.

So it would seem, that many an avid churchgoer fell upon this fateful eve.

MarchHare said:
Yeah, cavalry is fun.
Unless you're on the receiving end.

Then, the funny thing is when the cavalryman falls from his horse and you get to stab him as much as you want.

The Engle were more of a sitting duck because of the cavalry than I thought they would be. I think cavalry vs. cavalry balances things out, or atleast a good coordinated team of spearmen.

Thanks to everyone who played and most to the organisers! This was surely much, much work put into this Event and I am very grateful for this, although I could only enjoy the event for 30 minutes. Maybe some of the new faces here will turn up a few more times now.  :mrgreen:

Also thanks for the screenshots. The second one is now my IPad background  :lol:

I just want to reiterate that the Normans won even when they dropped all the cavalry  :wink:
I really don't think the cavalry had as much of an effect as the Engle team believes.

Then again, the English heavy infantry was rather dominating in the Conquest map, so perhaps the Normans are more field-worthy?
Would make sense.

I think that cavalry had more of a psychological (if you can call it that) effect than anything.

You can't focus on the infantry in front of you knowing that, at any moment, cavalry can charge you from behind. I was pretty paranoid about the whole thing, in fact.

However, I think we could have beaten the cavalry if we had just coordinated a bit better. Next time we will see, I guess.

Yeah. Maybe the Weorod?
Something like the Jomsvikingar in the center, the Gægningas in the right flank, the public host in the left and the Weorod dealing with cavalry.

I'm no tactician, but seems like it could have mitigated a bit the whole thing. However, being just a grunt, I don't know what the rest of the Engle side was doing, so maybe they tried something similar.

Sitting on the hill was a good move, I'd say, even if it didn't change much.

From the Normant side, it seemed like, yes, the Engles weren't dealing with the cavalry properly.
Perhaps if you devoted to flanking hosts to protecting against cavalry attacks?

There wasn't nearly enough spears on the English host to afford any real protection. That, and whenever you moved forwards there was a break-up at the rear where folk stood around twiddling their fingers.

That said; a beating was still delivered even when we dismounted.  :dead:

Well actually we also won the second round of conquest, so the Engle were beaten in every way possible.  :wink:

Also the Norman team was prettier.

I'm not sure what they could've done to protect against cavalry without forest or proper hill, the Norman cavalry shouldn't go close anyway, its strength is in skirmishing, and those throwing spears are deadly. But you're right, there seemed to be a lot of chaos and a lot of stragglers in the back rows, looking nervously behind them.

Aethel said:
Sitting on the hill was a good move, I'd say, even if it didn't change much.

From the Normant side, it seemed like, yes, the Engles weren't dealing with the cavalry properly.
Perhaps if you devoted to flanking hosts to protecting against cavalry attacks?

The Engles exploited the edge of the map. I guess that calls for bigger maps to be created next time so achieving that exploitation of the map edges are more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom