PREVIOUS EVENT: Dněprŭ (May 18th)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dansk viking said:
Did it by any chance say "incorrect authorization key"?
Damn it! I've had this case tonight! For the first time since I'm playing Mount and Blade. Suddenly my game crashed and I couldn't join anymore (incorrect authorization key). Only positive point: I've drunk all the beers I've bought for the event...

Thanks to everyone who attended the event! I hope you had fun. Please make sure you post any feedback that may help the organizers of the next event. Sorry for the technical issues some players experienced.

Special thanks go to Þorkell and Eiríkr for helping run the event and get everything ready, to the commanders Miromirŭ/Leodfrið and the victorious Voislavŭ/Ubbe, to the public host leaders Ivanŭ/Hærger and Turŭbernŭ/Rallix, to the rest of the host leaders who did their share this evening and, last but not least, to my brothers Eadric and Æþelfrið for their support on top of their material contributions to the event.

I put together some highlights from the event together in a video, I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXnJqF0R9Ms

RagnarGerman said:
Working on a list now, I want to make the admins a favour and the Jomsvikingar will all take slavic names. I'm working on a name list now, I guess we will bring around 40 to 50 people. :smile:
RagnarGerman said:
KickingJoub said:
Thirdly: Ragnar wut? 40-50 people? Which side will you be joining anyway?

That is the size of our Clan,yes. And of course we join the Pagans! :smile:
RagnarGerman said:
Yamichi
Retinue of Raglav

sbannerd.png

Members
Raglav Woshd
(Ragnarr Jarl Jomsborg)
Burislaw
Zhitu
Mysleta
Letunu
Furustenu
Borya
Rurik
Vladimir
Dragomer
Drazhi
Gurdrunu
Kolka
Vladislav
Dragunu
Ivan
Obida
Rache
Wraak
Dragomira
Kashika
Starzicha
Igorev
Nedivitu
Valery
Raedo
Drekitry
Sekera
Vladiku
Ostoi
Vitislav
Dmitry
Georgievu
Zvonimir
Piotr
Ljutomir
Rhyslav
Igori
Vlacko
Aepa
Yaroslavu
Skar
Bohuslav
Yuriwan
Dobraku
Dabrowka
Groznata
Bratyslav
Andrei
Vartlav
(50)
(all)_Yamichi
(Jómsvíkingar)

We want to fight on the side of the Pagans!
RagnarGerman said:
We have 48 people in our steam group. I asked 2 friends of they want to take part of the event.
RagnarGerman said:
Celtichugs said:
Since no one has mentioned is at viciously as I did at the Sulcoit event. You better ****ing bring the numbers you say you are. Balancing numbers etc is a serious headache for Víkingr events and there is little eltes that's as suicide-driving as doing balancing  for weeks to only find that one clan brought 6 people when they said they'd bring 40.

I'm merely mentioning this from experience for the benefit of the admins. I aint admining, thank God.

I bring 50 warriors. :smile:
RagnarGerman said:
hrotha said:
RagnarGerman said:
I bring 50 warriors. :smile:
RagnarGerman said:
We have 48 people in our steam group. I asked 2 friends of they want to take part of the event. 
Wait, are you seriously saying not a single one of you will be unable to make it in principle?

I'm sorry but I have to be very sceptical. Celtic is right: doing your best to make sure your stated numbers are as close as possible to your actual strength on the battlefield is crucially important for balance, especially for a clan this big. So please, please, make sure you and your guys understand that signing up is a real commitment, and ask them to confirm their status. Several times.

Now seems like a good time to remind everybody that a gross discrepancy between your stated and your real numbers will have consequences for any clan, no matter who they are: they won't be allowed to fight as a separate host in the next event.

PS: also, I'd suggest Yamichĭskyi as your tag again. Yamichskyi will do in a pitch.
PPS: Raglav? Seriously?

I asked every single one of he is able to come to that event, EVERY SINGLE ONE. If I would just sign up a number, I would have done that in the first damn day.

To all the above - lol

Sorry, not trying to put a downer on things, but I think Éadric was being a little too nice when he says:
Seriously, Jómsvíkingar, for most of the evening you had less than half of the 50 players you signed up. What was up with that?

At 10 minutes to 7, Jomsborg only had 21, at 7 it was around 25-/+ and by second or third round 28 - and I don't believe they got any higher. Gaegingas signed up 8, only 4 showed up and from what I saw as I left there was noone left in their channel? The Vyatchi didn't even turn up (again)?

I have alot more to say about the event, but would rather not spew that out on this thread. I only managed to play the first map before the dreaded "incorrect authorization key" occured, but a great job with that map Éadric - expansive, tactical and fairly immersive, while ultimately being reasonably simple in design.

Thanks, Celtic.

I'm pretty sure that was the last time we ever host an event on JestServers. This time there weren't even any server restarts to explain the authorization key issues many people had, they just happened because hell no we weren't going to get an easy ride, no sir.

Today, JestServers sent this message to their customers:
Numerous DDoS attacks over the weekend on NYC and Netherlands

Both the NYC datacenter and Netherlands datacenter have been getting targeted by various large scale attacks.
DDoS protection and filtering are still unable to defend entirely against it.
Onsite datacenter technicians are doing everything they can to keep things running smooth while blacklisting the attacks.
Sorry for the issues.
Sorry again to those of you who were forced to leave the event early or who couldn't even join because of these issues.

Anecdotal; our TeamSpeak (Hæringar) server went down shortly after the event. I contacted our provider and he confirmed multiple DDoS attacks upon his data centre. Looks like this was another case of bad timing for the Víkingr events.

Great maps(!) and event. Especially loved the first map and how the patches of forest was (and could have been even more) key to success.

If my people didn't turn up not due to that error, I'll have word. But not much I can do while I'm currently away on personal issues.

I would hope it was due to the error. And besides, we're tiny compared to the Jomsborg promised, so please. Us not showing really wouldn't upset the balance - especially since most of them didn't show.

I did talk to Hrotha about everything.

Anyway, thanks to the organizers. I'm sure it was great despite the problems. I look forward to the videos.

Cheers,

Many thanks to the hosts, I think you handled the issues that did rise very well. Personally I had a jolly good time *sips tea* even if there were slight communication issues here and there. Have to give credit of the teamwork to the pagan host leaders, excellent work Turŭbernŭ Grimichĭ (Rallix), Turŭkotĭlŭ Erĭlichĭskyi (Þorkell Erlinga), Vozhĭ Ubichĭkŭ Vŭlchichĭskyi (Ubba Fenrisbarn), Burislaw Yamichi (whose name eludes me) and last, but certainly the person causing the communication issues: Ragaslavŭ Vozhĭ Yamichi (Ragnarr Jarl Jómsborg). As far as I'm concerned you made this event as great as it was for the pagan team.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Anecdotal; our TeamSpeak (Hæringar) server went down shortly after the event. I contacted our provider and he confirmed multiple DDoS attacks upon his data centre. Looks like this was another case of bad timing for the Víkingr events.

Or there's a slightly possibility that someone is targeting Vikingr events. I'm not saying it happened but you always run the risk if you publicly inform people of where the server is hosted and DDoS attacks aren't that hard to pull off, though I seriously doubt anyone would be that petty minded.

Ps: I'll put together a better message after I clear my head of all the garbage in it :grin: *remembers he doesn't like tea and spits it out*

I really liked the first map for it's scale and more realistic tempo of battle. Most of it was just waiting and putting your team into best position, some minor skirmishing especially with the ponies and then the major clash. Especially the first battle was really cool with it's first major battle which was won by christians and the final clash after the pagan cavarly had regrouped and tried to kill us with basic cav tactics. It wasn't just one team steamrolling the other, but a real fight with small victories and losses on both sides. I still would have liked more variety with the terrain so you could really get advantage by positioning your army to high ground. The forest patches were really nice which gave one form to be strategy by using those as cover. Would really like to see that kind of fighting yet again.

Glad you liked the maps! Though I have to say I spent way more time on the second one. As I was making it there was always rain (and I restarted that map so many times), which I thought made for a nice atmosphere. But unfortunately there was not a drop to be seen during the actual siege.

As for hills on the first map: Hróða gave me some good resources to go by for making maps after the actual landscape of Polisia, the Ukrainian region where the battle and siege took place. It is actually a large and flat lowland through which the Dnieper flows. Æþelfriþ took some artistic license with his excellent drawing, what with the hill, and one of my earlier attempts was loosely based on it, but ultimately something truer to life prevailed.

Loved the first map! (sadly the only one which I saw because the server kicked me out when the new map was loading and after that wasn't able to see the server)
But the map was awesome...loved how the forests added tactical element into the battle.
It was great to see so many people on battlefield more than 140! :smile:

Big thanks to the organizers of the event, you did great as always.  :cool:

Not sure if I've actually said this yet so I'll say it now: Thanks to everyone who organised this event and I thoroughly enjoyed what I could play!

hrotha said:
Thanks, Celtic.

I'm pretty sure that was the last time we ever host an event on JestServers. This time there weren't even any server restarts to explain the authorization key issues many people had, they just happened because hell no we weren't going to get an easy ride, no sir.

Today, JestServers sent this message to their customers:
Numerous DDoS attacks over the weekend on NYC and Netherlands

Both the NYC datacenter and Netherlands datacenter have been getting targeted by various large scale attacks.
DDoS protection and filtering are still unable to defend entirely against it.
Onsite datacenter technicians are doing everything they can to keep things running smooth while blacklisting the attacks.
Sorry for the issues.
Sorry again to those of you who were forced to leave the event early or who couldn't even join because of these issues.

Ah, fair enough. That's pretty unfortunate then.

nurgle01099 said:
I put together some highlights from the event together in a video, I hope you like it.

Nice video! Saw myself a couple of times there, we bashed shields at one point (I then decided to **** off and fight elsewhere, before you got slaughtered)

My sincere gratitude to those who prepared the maps and managed the event. The first battlefield was flat and with coppices which would have made sudden attacks by horse very dangerous, unless men on foot were upon their guard and in perfect order, but neither happened, and so the battles were confusedly even, as it were: It seems the impatience caused by waiting so long, together with the fierce bandying of religious insults back and forth (in the mean time), disordered our spirits. It is pity though there was no skirmish before the first battle, that is, a duel between two choice warriors from both sides, while the lookers-on incited them: As this would certainly have been entertaining to see (who can deny it?), I hope it will be taken into consideration for the future. As for the sieges, if it were not for the pagans outnumbering us, I dare say we would have won every time, considering all of us had but one life apiece.  :twisted:

Éadríc said:
As for hills on the first map: Hróða gave me some good resources to go by for making maps after the actual landscape of Polisia, the Ukrainian region where the battle and siege took place. It is actually a large and flat lowland through which the Dnieper flows. Æþelfriþ took some artistic license with his excellent drawing, what with the hill, and one of my earlier attempts was loosely based on it, but ultimately something truer to life prevailed.

Ya I'm not complaining about the lack of maps in this particular map, just that it would be cool gameplay-wise to see such maps in grand scale like this masterpiece.

nurgle01099 said:

Thanks for recording! I added your video to the OP. If anyone else shares their recordings, I'll add them too.

Back
Top Bottom