PREVIOUS EVENT: Battle of Maldon (November 16th)

Users who are viewing this thread

KickingJoub

Grandmaster Knight
Header1c.png

wiNlz.png

qos2Q.png

Then stood on the shore, stoutly calling out
a Viking messenger, making speech,
menacingly delivering the sea-pirate's
message to this Earl on the opposite shore standing:
"I send to you from the bold seamen,
a command to tell that you must quickly send
treasures to us, and it would be better to you if
with tribute buy off this conflict of spears
than with us bitter battle share.
No need to slaughter each other if you be generous with us;

we would be willing for gold to bring a truce.
If you believe which of these is the noblest path,
and that your people are desirous of assurance,
then pay the sea-farers on their own terms
money towards peace and receive peace from us,
for we with this tribute will take to our ships,
depart on the sea and keep peace with you."
Byrhtnoth spoke, his shield raised aloft,
brandishing a slender ash-wood spear, speaking words,
wrathful and resolute did he give his answer:

qshXK.png

Hear now you, pirate, what this people say?
They desire to you a tribute of spears to pay,
poisoned spears and old swords,
the war-gear which you in battle will not profit from.
Sea-thieves messenger, deliver back in reply,
tell your people this spiteful message,
that here stands undaunted an Earl with his band of men
who will defend our homeland,
Aethelred's country, the lord of my
people and land. Fall shall you

heathen in battle! To us it would be shameful
that you with our coin to your ships should get away
without a fight, now you thus far
into our homeland have come.
You shall not so easily carry off our treasure:
with us must spear and blade first decide the terms,
fierce conflict, is the tribute we will hand over."
He then ordered their shields taken up,
his soldiers advancing
until on the river-bank they all stood.

QlnM-.png

991AD.png
, the 13th year in the reign of Æthelred II. From Northern lands a large fleet of over 90 vessels sets sail for the ripe, fertile lands of England. Olaf Tryggvason and Svein Forkbeard, the Danish King, land their forces in Eastern England. They set the eastern coast ablaze, ravaging the areas near Folkestone, Sandwich and putting Ipswich to the sword. Unopposed their troops range inland, spreading fear where ever they ride, looting and burning, devastation in their wake. They continue to raid, moving further north with their fleet, towards a place known as Maldon on the coast of Essex.

Drawing their boats securely in the Blackwater Estuary, raiders lead by Jósteinn Eiríksson began to plunder the local area but in a short time they found themselves opposed, finally, by English forces under the Ealdorman Byrhtnóð. Having received word of the first raids Byrhtnóð raised the fyrd of the Eastern Saxons and marched them to the town of Maldon, the next target for the vikings on their journey north along the coast. The raiders found themselves penned on Northey island, where their boats had been drawn up. A large force roughly equal to their own opposing them. With the tide high a shouted exchange took place, the raiders demanding tribute in order for them to leave, yet Byrhtnóð refused. As the tide receded the vikings attempted to break out across the causeway but were easily held in check.

Keen to bring the raiders to battle, Byrthnóð retreated a short distance, drawing his force up into a shield wall. The vikings waded across the water and formed their own wall, shields overlapping, iron weapons dull in the light. The first weapons banged against shields, a ripple of sound like the rattle of rain on stone. It spread along both walls, a cacophony of noise reinforced by shouts and cries, men steeling their hearts for the bitter fight to come.

Vikingr.png~original

Jósteins Sveit
Jóstein's Band

Jósteinn Eiríksson (Þorfinnr Arnarins)
Haraldr Haklangr (Haraldr Haklangr)
Ubbe Grimsson (Ubbe Arnarins)
Hryggr (Hudgy)
Surtr Jótunsson (Surtr Arnarins)
Styrkar Arnarins (Superstes)
Hrafna Skjalder (Euan)
Erling Stoti (Hazzard)
Steingrimr Krokr (Tywin)
Hildir Thorfinnrsson
Sigurdr
Sigmundr
Thendrilr
Haerjulf
Torfi
Svejborn
(Skipverjar Arnarins)

Leiðangrsfólk
Levied Folk

viking_banner_scaled.png

Guðmundr Steinason (Wernicke)
Johann Gustavsen
Vȅbjǿrn
Svarog
Snorre Gønge-Valla
Snorri Breiðskeggr
Geirmund Guldskeggr
Þorbjörn harðráði
Mjólkarr
Hvatr Attison
Lon Burlufotr Karlsson
Bevans
Aragon
Grímr Hausakljúfr
Lestek
Jón
"Freelancer_SilentMatthew"
Björn Sturluson
Loftr
Markhund
Jólgeirr
Nóþwulf Wulfnóþing
Bjornolfr Haraldsson
Asger Ulfursson
Hrafn
Rǽdweald
Askorti
Wurmbold Dícsǽtna
Sangfugol
Searg Kurwol

FenrisBarn
Fenris' Children of North

Ubba FenrisBarn
Yngvald FenrisBarn
Baleigr FenrisHirdr
Bernardr FenrisHirdr
Gjermund
Hired Sword
Hæringar
The Hoary Folk

Eiríkr rauðskegg
Hrútr gylðir
Sygtryggr Hrodgasson
Nahkuri
Bróðir
Wigmund
Erlingar
Jarl's Kin

Þorkell
Þorvaldr
Hengist
Swúlfr
Hengwulf
Víga-Styrr
Jófríðr
Helgi
Sköglingar
The Men of Skögul

TmhFzQg.png

Eyvindr Sköglinga
Brynyar Sköglinga
Bragi Sköglinga
Úlfr Sköglinga
Atli Sköglinga
Þorkell Sköglinga

Eastena.png~original

Byrhtnóðes Heorðwerod
Byrhtnóð's Household Troops

Byrhtnóð ealdorman (Æscwine Fyrninga)
Ælfnóð (Rǽdmund)
Ælfwine (Æþelfrið)
Æscferð se gísel (Ingbrand)
Æþeríc (Rǽdwulf)
Byrhtwold (Hróðgár)
Éadríc (Éadríc)
Éadweard se langa (Hróðbeorht)
Maccus (Gúðmund)
Wístan (Fródwine)
Wulfmǽr se geonga (Þrýðwine)
Wulfstán (Wulfstán)
&
Anláf Bearnswelgere (OLAF)
Dunnere (Willelme d'Iveri)
(Fyrningas)
Mældunwaran
Townsfolk of Maldon

Saxon_banner_rescaled.png

Offa Wígelmes sunu (Rallix)
Thjostolf
Ælfric
Ælfstán se Fægera
Johann
Gerold se Franca
Æstán
Aldwyn
Wulfstan
Widu
Garlef
Leofric
Æscwulf Ceolwulfes sunu
Þéodríc
Lufian
Anláf
Eadbald
Leofgar
Ordgár se hérsuma
Hrafn kampi
Beornlaf
Wíghelm Swift
Eadgar
Éadmǽr
Tídhún
Acca
Engerwaran

tfnm2j9ikpvfebh0l.png

Hlóðulf (Hlothulf)
Gárláf (Garlaf)
Óswine (Oswine)
Hróðbyrht (Hrothbyrht)
Hréðríc (Hrethric)
Seaxmód (Seaxmod)
Óðelríc (Othelric)
Wíbyrht (Wibyrht)
Regnere (Regnere)
Beorn (Beorn)
Brynheard (Brynheard)
Þéodláf (Theodlaf)
Engelbyrht (Engelbyrht)
Folcweard (Folcweard)
Gúðwine (Guthwine)
Hagena (Hagena)
Þéodelm (Theodelm)
Byrhtræmn (Byrhtraemn)
(Angrivarier)
Wyrmingas
The Dragon Folk

2lXsLoG.png

Gerdarr Yrminga (Wojslaw)
Rossketill Yrminga
Hrafn Yrminga
Sigmarr Yrminga
Snorri Yrminga
Valgard Yrminga
Brynjolf Yrminga
Rolf Yrminga
Sigvaldi Yrminga
Leifr Yrminga
?
?
?
?
?
(Druzhina ze Zmigrodu)
Meccingas
People of Mocca

34NZKLx.png

Ridda Meccinga
Dunstán Meccinga
Beornic Meccinga
Regenweald Meccinga
Ósweald Meccinga
Wulfgar Meccinga

T_IHy.png

Date: Sunday, November 16th at 19:00 GMT/UTC

Where: Vikingr_Event_Server

TeamSpeak Address: 195.249.188.149

Víkingr Mod Version: Víkingr 1.0

SIGNING UP
Players not affiliated with a Víkingr clan may join one of the two public hosts although they must clearly state whether they wish to join the Viking Leiðangrsfólk (Levied Folk) or the English Mældunwaran (Townsfolk of Maldon). A working format is: "I sign up as *Event nickname/Ingame name* for the *public host/faction*".

Víkingr clans may sign up for either the Víkingar or the Engle. Clan leaders take note!: Due to past issues with clans either not turning up or with significantly fewer members than had been signed up for an event, we request that you bring as close to the number signed up as possible. This is very important as it heavily impacts on the balance of players and forces the organisers to waste players time sorting the factions. Due to this issue at a previous event the Jómsvíkingar, Vyatichi & Gægningas may not represent themselves on the field as individual hosts. Members of these three clans must join one of the public hosts.

PUBLIC HOST PLAYERS
All public host players are requested to use the default faction banner & to use the basic class for each faction;
  • Víkingar (Norðmenn): Liði
  • Engle: Gárberend

ADDENDUM
  • The hosts do reserve the right to assign players & clans to the opposing faction to balance forces.
  • Special class slots will be assigned by the respective leader of the faction.
  • A period accurate name is a must. Get one here.
  • As an addition to a period name, it'd be preferable to not sign up using clan ranks.

SIGNATURES
Feel free to use these signatures on this forum or others.

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,315961.msg7494025.html#msg7494025][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ui0BFM6.png[/IMG][/url]

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,315961.msg7494025.html#msg7494025][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZubqwZm.png[/IMG][/url]

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Many thanks to Æþelfrið for the three illustrations. Thanks also to Hrotha for providing historical information. Last but by no means least, thanks to a mysterious benefactor for the thread and the signatures.

Footage

Video by SilentMatt from the point of view of the Leiðangrsfólk (Viking public host):

Event itinerary:

18:30 GMT - Participants should be on the TeamSpeak channel of their host.

18:50-19:05 GMT - Attendance is noted down, any stragglers are expected to arrive within this timeframe.

19:00 GMT - The server password is handed out. Do not spread the password outside your teamspeak channel. Direct any questions to the admins/hosts.

19:10 pm GMT - The event will officially start.

Further reading:
Battlefield Trusts – Maldon Battle and Campaign: http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/media/149.pdf
The Battle of Maldon – Hypertext Edition: http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/oecoursepack/maldon/
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle: http://omacl.org/Anglo/
Óláfs saga Tryggvasonar: http://omacl.org/Heimskringla/trygvason1.html
II Æthelred – Peace treaty associated with the ravaging of England in the early 990s: https://archive.org/stream/diegesetzederang01liebuoft#page/220/mode/2up (in Old English, Latin and German)

And a nice video linked by Wernicke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh76AvA6wNY

I am speechless of how great this is. And to be honest, I did not believe anything this marvellous would still be possible to happen to Víkingr. Much to my joy I can even spot some famous faces surrounding brave Byrhtnoth. Thank you all a thousand times! This shall be magnificent!

Just wonderful! I wasn't expecting a large event so soon, but I'm glad it's there. And great job Aeþelfrið (it's nice to see the Fyrnings on the picture  :wink: ).
I can't wait for the event to come!

Æþelfrið you did it again. Any "HD" links to those beautiful images? Don't see em on your Deviantart.

Lovely thread chaps, shall be organising that evening off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh76AvA6wNY

Old One-eye willing, many a warrior shall drink with his ancestors before the month is out.

Wolves will hunt. Shields shall splinter. Blood will run.

Fantastic job on the thread, [name redacted]! And Æþelfrið, wonderful illustrations again!

I hope nobody steals Byrhtnoð's horse to flee, thus spreading mass panic along our line. That would be awkward.

Updated the rosters and for now I must sadly forbid any more Jomsborg clan members from signing up to the Viking Leiðangrsfólk in order to leave room for other people. And to actually enforce the signing up as their own host ruling made by the admin team. The opportunity will open again later when more people have signed up.

Jishnu said:
Signing up as Waldgár Ósmunding for Byrhtnóðes Heorðwerod.

I put you in the Mældunwaran, Townsfolk of Maldon, as that's the English public host.

foxo11 said:
I'm Leifr Staelleri Jómsborg, and Signing up for the Leiðangrsfólk.

Added you to the English public host as:

KickingJoub said:
... for now I must sadly forbid any more Jomsborg clan members from signing up to the Viking Leiðangrsfólk in order to leave room for other people. And to actually enforce the signing up as their own host ruling made by the admin team. The opportunity will open again later when more people have signed up.

Back
Top Bottom