Preview: Lance recruitment system - the true peasent way to go to war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, so a quick and dirty preview on the new recruitment system that I'm currently working for the mod. This is an optional thing, you can still play with the current native system. If you are an ugly person that is :eek: (a peasent joke) . It's a bit diffrent system that I initaly planed on doing, but I think this one is a bit better one.

At all the castles, villages and towns that you are the lord of you will be able to recruit your faction troops. In other cases you will have to rely on mercenary troops(This includes if you are a lord(or mercenary) of a faction and try to recruit from fiefs that do not belong to you).

Now recruitment will be done via lances. Each lance consist of 10 troops. 2 from noble troop tree and 8 "regular" troops. In regular I mean - town troops for towns, village troops for castles and villages. The quality of the troops are determined mainly by the centers prosperity. The richer the center, the more changes to get higher tier troops. Range - infantry ratio is also random.

Unlike native, the lances will be managed as a resource. Each center can support up to 10 lances. Every week centers will get a new lance.

Another addition to the all lance system would be auto-garrisons. As a player you will no longer have the control over the garrison. But you will also won't be needing to pay for the garrison ukeep and in such will have the same size garrisons as the AI.

Whitout a fief - the mercenary troop upkeep/hiring will be reduced. Allowing early game start.

Atlest that what's going to be for the initial version. In the future it would be nice to have other features, such as(some of these might make it to inital version... or never make it in):
- Diffent regular - noble troop ratio. This might be based on some realm managment setting.
- Diffrent upkeep and tax prices in times of war and peace. "Forcing" you to put more effort into managing your army - disbanding it in times of peace becouse of a high upkeep, but alowing you to keep it at times of war.
- More control over the garrisons. Such basic settings as what kind of troops to fill the garrison with - faction culture troops, center culture troops, mercinaries, ect.

All good. Expecially the idea of recruting our faction troop when we are lord new fief.. What about being king? which troop we are going to recruit is there any chance to select our culture or troop tree.

Wow, sounds awesome! Any ETA  :grin:?

Can you also add the old recruiter option for the native recruitment system? Or alternatively, can you add the auto-garrison as a separate feature option in the camp menu? So that i can use native recruitment system + auto-garrison?

Hi, sounds very nice, but only if AI lords follow the same rule - that way pillaging enemy villages starts to make sense for a war effort (finally). Otherwise I would have some cavalry and mainly infantry = crushing defeat from AI with a lot of heavy cavalry. Also warfare in those times was very reliant on heavy cavalry - I would hate to see my army with just a fraction of those and mainly peasants (notice spelling of the word by the way - unless it is your private joke to write it horribly :wink: ).

EDIT: I certainly meant that having a lot of heavy cavalry should be hard and expensive, I just think that a rich lord should have a possibility of having a lot of them - while a poor lowly lord would have mainly infantry.

@DrTomas - I like the idea and definitely approve any inspiration you want to add :smile:

On a side note, I have dinked around with some of the other mods. The Baka(can't remember full name) that is set in Great Britain solely has a lot of interesting ideas like Mercenary Captains (with their own party) or there is another one with "unique" guard units/mercenaries that are only with kings.

I have a request though -- it would be nice if we could manage a party with different cultures if we had enough leadership/charisma/something.. Constantly losing morale every few ticks sucks..and it seems kinda unrealistic in some approaches..especially for a mercenary army. I understand that arabs probably wouldnt employ vs arab in religious crusade but in general kingdom fighting(like spanish kingdom vs spanish kingdom), I don't see the problem. On the otherhand, what about simple flat culture/neutral mercenaries? I just know as an empire expands, it gets annoying to have to try to get back and grab more of the same culture..plus it give an opportunity for some typical mercenaries..

Lastly, lots of new unit/additional unit ideas -

http://m2tw.warlore.org/units

I also in general think more numerous smaller nations is more interesting than the blobs, like I don't think France was a huge cohesive nation in 1255 :grin: I think it was many smaller kingdoms, etc. Anyyyway

I LOVE your mod though. I have been playing since 0thr(sp?) and honestly, It's ALL I played in Mount and Blade(not even vanilla) :smile: Can't wait to see what you think of next and if you need help, I'm game!

Disco Ninja said:
Does this rule applies to AI lords and garrisons too?
This won't apply to garrisons. Garrisons usually stacked up a bit differently. I'd like to apply this to lords as well - but the process it self can be quite expensive(as in CPU heavy). I'll see how it goes.

The Unknown said:
Wow, sounds awesome! Any ETA  :grin:?

Can you also add the old recruiter option for the native recruitment system? Or alternatively, can you add the auto-garrison as a separate feature option in the camp menu? So that i can use native recruitment system + auto-garrison?
No ETA, but I have a good portion of it done.
I don't think I'll do garrisons as a camp menu option. This would as it would disbalance  the old recruitment system too much, in my opinion.

Gorgon said:
(notice spelling of the word by the way - unless it is your private joke to write it horribly :wink: ).
No I have had a nailed  removed when I was little from the part of my brain responsible for writing. That or I'm just stupid and can't write even without the nail being removed.

Gorgon said:
EDIT: I certainly meant that having a lot of heavy cavalry should be hard and expensive, I just think that a rich lord should have a possibility of having a lot of them - while a poor lowly lord would have mainly infantry.
Well the richer lords can have lot more lances to call upon(as in rich I mean either have a lot of fiefs or money for mercenary army).

xNECROx said:
@DrTomas - I like the idea and definitely approve any inspiration you want to add :smile:

On a side note, I have dinked around with some of the other mods. The Baka(can't remember full name) that is set in Great Britain solely has a lot of interesting ideas like Mercenary Captains (with their own party) or there is another one with "unique" guard units/mercenaries that are only with kings.
We have our own "Mercenary Captain" version right now only for fortified manors. The "unique" guard unit would not work for most of the factions as this is historical mod. A few of them - like for a player made Second Byzantium kingdom - would, but that's also pushing it. So in summary - no "special King" troops for historical reasons.

xNECROx said:
I have a request though -- it would be nice if we could manage a party with different cultures if we had enough leadership/charisma/something.. Constantly losing morale every few ticks sucks..and it seems kinda unrealistic in some approaches..especially for a mercenary army. I understand that arabs probably wouldnt employ vs arab in religious crusade but in general kingdom fighting(like spanish kingdom vs spanish kingdom), I don't see the problem. On the otherhand, what about simple flat culture/neutral mercenaries? I just know as an empire expands, it gets annoying to have to try to get back and grab more of the same culture..plus it give an opportunity for some typical mercenaries..
Get persuasion to lvl 10 - no more problems with different religions. However I'm planing on reworking or atleast tweaking the religion thing

xNECROx said:
I also in general think more numerous smaller nations is more interesting than the blobs, like I don't think France was a huge cohesive nation in 1255 :grin: I think it was many smaller kingdoms, etc. Anyyyway

I LOVE your mod though. I have been playing since 0thr(sp?) and honestly, It's ALL I played in Mount and Blade(not even vanilla) :smile: Can't wait to see what you think of next and if you need help, I'm game!
We are more focused on macro history. While France was quite decentralized, the big lords were still officially vassals of King of France.
Glad you like our mod.

JuicyDeath said:
prosperity is always rich or very rich. Is there really any point to connect it to recruitment?
Yes. I'm aware of the prosperity thing. I'll try to rework the rate on which the settlements get rich/poor - but I imagine this might need some extra digging into the source, so I'm lazy to start it :smile:

DrTomas said:
xNECROx said:

We have our own "Mercenary Captain" version right now only for fortified manors. The "unique" guard unit would not work for most of the factions as this is historical mod. A few of them - like for a player made Second Byzantium kingdom - would, but that's also pushing it. So in summary - no "special King" troops for historical reasons.

Ah ok, I have not tried the fortified manor yet.
DrTomas said:
xNECROx said:
Get persuasion to lvl 10 - no more problems with different religions. However I'm planing on reworking or atleast tweaking the religion thing

OH - it's pursuasion? OK. It mentioned a check on leadership when it gave the message before so I was unclear.
DrTomas said:
xNECROx said:

We are more focused on macro history. While France was quite decentralized, the big lords were still officially vassals of King of France.
Glad you like our mod.

Gotcha, understandable. Are you planning on adding any more kingdoms? Or expanding the map(preferably more eastward or possibly southward) I really liked the microfactions added..I think its' interesting to be an underdog but this is coming from a guy who likes Champa in EU3.

You write peasent all the time the same way - even in the game it is written like that so it is kinda funny (sorry).

Rich lords would have a lot of lances which means like 20 cavalry and 100 infantry so in battle there would still be the same infantry/cavalry ratio...

Gorgon said:
Rich lords would have a lot of lances which means like 20 cavalry and 100 infantry so in battle there would still be the same infantry/cavalry ratio...
20/80 to be more precise. However it would be differ on some factions. Like the Golden Horde which are a cavalry heavy faction. There are also plans for some differential on the noble/simple troop count. However the ratio won't be radical different. It's historical. If a lord is rich, it does not automatically mean that his vassals(ie the knights that gather the lances) are rich as well. Or have more squires under them.

xNECROx said:
Gotcha, understandable. Are you planning on adding any more kingdoms? Or expanding the map(preferably more eastward or possibly southward) I really liked the microfactions added..I think its' interesting to be an underdog but this is coming from a guy who likes Champa in EU3.
No plans to include more factions in the near future.

Ok, that sounds very reasonable. Nevertheless, the most important part of western european armies were heavy cavalry in this period and infantry was not so important (that was not only true for golden horde). Either way I am looking forward for your system.

One more question though - would troops be leveling or gaining experience in any way, or will the trainer skill become totally obsolete - if that would be true then that would be a BIG minus for me.

as far as i understand those laces for war time. we will keep our small party same as before but in time of need we can call upon lances.

One more very big issue/question please. I have concerns about crusades which I personally like a lot.
Example:
In my game, I am vassal of Holy Roman Empire and lord of Nurnberg and Eger. I went to fight for the cross on a crusade. How will I get reinforcements when I am in the holy land? I cannot leave and travel x days across whole europe to get new troops and I will not get any good units from castles in holy land like it is now, because I am not lord of those. (Technically I am member of holy kingdom and not of HRE, while I retain my fiefs in HRE).
Maybe special recruitment of volunteers crusaders from europe? - Remember to keep crusading armies fightworthy.

Thanks for clarification - just wouldnt want to ruin this awesome feature of your cool mod.

KnightPeter said:
as far as i understand those laces for war time. we will keep our small party same as before but in time of need we can call upon lances.

The lances are for you when you have a fief. If not - you will have to survive on mercenary recruits - which will be cheaper(both hiring and upkeep) as long a you are fiefless.

Gorgon said:
Ok, that sounds very reasonable. Nevertheless, the most important part of western european armies were heavy cavalry in this period and infantry was not so important (that was not only true for golden horde). Either way I am looking forward for your system.

One more question though - would troops be leveling or gaining experience in any way, or will the trainer skill become totally obsolete - if that would be true then that would be a BIG minus for me.
Important does not mean dominant. You can still upgrade your troops. It's just a fancy way to recruit them.

Gorgon said:
One more very big issue/question please. I have concerns about crusades which I personally like a lot.
Example:
In my game, I am vassal of Holy Roman Empire and lord of Nurnberg and Eger. I went to fight for the cross on a crusade. How will I get reinforcements when I am in the holy land? I cannot leave and travel x days across whole europe to get new troops and I will not get any good units from castles in holy land like it is now, because I am not lord of those. (Technically I am member of holy kingdom and not of HRE, while I retain my fiefs in HRE).
Maybe special recruitment of volunteers crusaders from europe? - Remember to keep crusading armies fightworthy.

Thanks for clarification - just wouldnt want to ruin this awesome feature of your cool mod.
Currently you should have a discount for the mercs and general unit upkeep as long as you are on a crusade. Later on I'll probably introduce some fancy tweaks in the system for the crusaders.

Talking about something completely different:
I'm done with the basic Lance recruitment system and I'll put it throught testing it now. This includes the lance recruitment thing, auto-garrisons, npc lord recruiting lances and other things previously mentioned.

Good to hear this,this mod gets more and more interesting to play,I think,no one will be bored ever from this game  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom