Prefer long time between patches

Which one is your preferance?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey TW and average joes. Just wanted to open a poll to know public opinion regarding timing and substance of patches, either more spread out patches or more frequent ones. I am of the opinion that TW should be less pressured to pump more frequent patches out and instead have more time to do all the test that needs to have a more higher quality patch with hopefully more content.

I completely understand we got zero to negative stake into what TW is doing, but if this poll's answer and subsequent discussion is productive, TW might be inclined into following any popular answer and set our expectation so its less crying and salty tears and yells from us.

Please discuss after voting or simply vote.

I prefer none of them. One month should not mean lack of content and bugfix
They've got over 100 people at the company now. They've definitely got enough capacity to walk and chew gum at the same time.

With the size of the bugs that tend to come with the new beta releases, my vote is for whatever option includes more internal testing before they push it.

Right in the middle. Between 1-2 months (less than 1 month = necessary hotfixes only, and never more than 2 months without a proper patch either), and the patch should have proper testing and some new content as well. 3 months seems too long and feedback from the community is still necessary.

Hm, I'm surprised with the results so far. I like the current pace though.
Increasing the interval may mean relatively less time for us to test more new features and fixes, as we will be overwhelmed with extra content. Also, some slight changes will probably not be mentioned on the patch notes (this already happens sometimes).

Hey TW and average joes. Just wanted to open a poll to know public opinion regarding timing and substance of patches, either more spread out patches or more frequent ones. I am of the opinion that TW should be less pressured to pump more frequent patches out and instead have more time to do all the test that needs to have a more higher quality patch with hopefully more content.

I completely understand we got zero to negative stake into what TW is doing, but if this poll's answer and subsequent discussion is productive, TW might be inclined into following any popular answer and set our expectation so its less crying and salty tears and yells from us.

Please discuss after voting or simply vote.
I'm sorry, but this needed at least a third and fourth option.
3 month patches with the probability of new content? That's not acceptable.
Smaller monthly patches with more bug-fixes than content? Also not acceptable.
I would have gone with: "Bi-monthly patches with new content *AND* bugfixes.
They're a large studio. They have large revenues. They really have no excuse to be this kind of lazy.
(Plus, what they're doing right now is basically bi-monthly patches with few bug-fixes and next to no content...)

Last edited:
A longer more stable patch is much preferred to me as my game progress gets wiped on a big update and I think it would also be a benefit to the mod community as to not break their mods

Right now we have a patch every month, that fixes mostly bugs from the previous patch with little new content.

I would be totally fine if we got a bigger patch every 4 months (3 per year) to get a bigger chunk of new content and overall less bugs.

I'm sorry, but this needed at least a third and fourth option.
3 month patches with the probability of new content? That's not acceptable.
Smaller monthly patches with more bug-fixes than content? Also not acceptable.
I would have gone with: "Bi-monthly patches with new content *AND* bugfixes.
They're a large studio. They have large revenues. They really have no excuse to be this kind of lazy.
(Plus, what they're doing right now is basically bi-monthly patches with few bug-fixes and next to no content...)
Hey man, first, thank for your feedback. For everyone else, thank you too for your feedback. I agree in theory with your recommendation, but I do not think it is realistic enough for TW to consider. As per your level of acceptances, TW will break every level and measure of it. They are not a triple AAA company based in the West (US or UK). Their level of quality is far below that type of standard.

I agree also with 1. they are a large studio, 2. they have large revenues (well, at least a massive one-time EA sale, and another planned when fully released) and 3. they got no excuses. But man, it is what it is. This type of discussion is what I wanted, and hopefully this post might have planted an idea in a TW staff person to suggest in the next meeting. That's all.

They are not a triple AAA company based in the West (US or UK). Their level of quality is far below that type of standard.
You overestimate the quality of AAA games. They are generally to be avoided like fast food cooking. Most quality and community responsiveness comes from indie companies or solo developers

Why do you guys think that more time will result in a "better" patch? TW obviously has a QA problem (like always introducing new or even old bugs which nearly every release.).

So if they would make bigger patches we would also get more major bugs. Which would take even more time to fix them. They need like 1-2 weeks to fix the bugs they´ve introduced in their new "small" updates.

Why do you guys think that more time will result in a "better" patch? TW obviously has a QA problem (like always introducing new or even old bugs which nearly every release.).
I know, we gotta get on those bugs asap or they just fester forever!
They do not and are not going to thoroughly find and fix bugs without significant player reports!
IMO 2 weeks is a good timeframe for basic updates, IOW add 1-few new changes/features and fix previous version bugs.
Add this, what does it break? Fix it, now add this, what does it break? fix it and so on.

You overestimate the quality of AAA games. They are generally to be avoided like fast food cooking. Most quality and community responsiveness comes from indie companies or solo developers
One need only log onto the total war forum to see this in action. CA have literally pulled out of there - they post links to their updates and that's it. They do not post a single response or thread or anything that isn't just an official update article.

They also only patch their games once every 4-6 months... so by that standard TW are doing fine. :xf-wink: AAA-Games are actually typically aweful at community feedback - largely because they know they don't really need to bother with it. Their sales are large regardless and the vast majority of their players never engage online in discussions. Indie developers are the ones who have the time-need to talk with their community - and Taleworlds currently sit awkwardly between the two scales. They aren't an AA developer; but they sure aren't two people in a home study anymore.

I actually think Taleworlds are surprisingly good at responding to feedback - that's not to say they are brilliant at acting upon it though. However the majority of threads with significant feedback do elicit a response - and usually a fairly detailed one. Yeah nothing might come from it... but the communication is there.

As for the patch cycle; hard to say. I can't say I blame TW for pushing their updates through the door without proper testing - this forum is hounding them for new content. However the stability of the game has been suffering lately - and the more features they add the worse it gets. As unpopular as it may be; TW might just need to hold up on new content and double down on bug fixing (though this forum would tear them a new one for doing it).

One need only log onto the total war forum to see this in action. CA have literally pulled out of there - they post links to their updates and that's it. They do not post a single response or thread or anything that isn't just an official update article.

They also only patch their games once every 4-6 months... so by that standard TW are doing fine. :xf-wink: AAA-Games are actually typically aweful at community feedback - largely because they know they don't really need to bother with it. Their sales are large regardless and the vast majority of their players never engage online in discussions. Indie developers are the ones who have the time-need to talk with their community - and Taleworlds currently sit awkwardly between the two scales. They aren't an AA developer; but they sure aren't two people in a home study anymore.

I actually think Taleworlds are surprisingly good at responding to feedback - that's not to say they are brilliant at acting upon it though. However the majority of threads with significant feedback do elicit a response - and usually a fairly detailed one. Yeah nothing might come from it... but the communication is there.
+1

As for the patch cycle; hard to say. I can't say I blame TW for pushing their updates through the door without proper testing - this forum is hounding them for new content. However the stability of the game has been suffering lately - and the more features they add the worse it gets. As unpopular as it may be; TW might just need to hold up on new content and double down on bug fixing (though this forum would tear them a new one for doing it).

= 0

The last big feature we got was the rebellion feature, the rest like prison escape, sandbox mode or a menu with 2/3 choices after capturing a settlement is just minor stuff.

They also only patch their games once every 4-6 months... so by that standard TW are doing fine. :xf-wink:
Rakarth Update - 17.03
The Twisted & The Twilight Update - 08.02
The Aserai Resurgent Update - 07.01

And yea, then there was big break, but TTW is released and not in EA. Also playable and not missing promised features. Comparison doesn´t make that much sense.

Fun fact:

TTW 1 was officially announced at 22.04.2015 and at the end of 2021 we will have TTW1, TTW2 and TTW3.
Bannerlord was officially announced in 2012 and at the end of 2021 we might have the final version (according to TWs statement).

Back
Top Bottom