SP Native Pre-Battle Orders & Deployment (v0.96.3 for Warband 1143+WSE)-patch for 115x

Users who are viewing this thread

Straw poll (actual poll added as well): would adding a 'higher' spear and pike thrust (see example video) for both the player and the AI (for better use in formations and the like) be a substantial enough change to accept breaking savegame compatibility with Native (and prior versions of PBOD or Diplomacy) save games?

In the example video, the first weapon is a standard spear with a Native thrust. Note how the shield opens for a thrust. I then press "X" to toggle weapon modes to the new (auto-generated) item and thrust again. Note how the shield remains in a guarding position and the spear thrusts over the top. I repeat the same procedure with a two-handed pike, the first thrust with the native item and the second having been "X"-toggled to a higher hold.

Caba`drin said:
Straw poll (actual poll added as well): would adding a 'higher' spear and pike thrust (see example video) for both the player and the AI (for better use in formations and the like) be a substantial enough change to accept breaking savegame compatibility with Native (and prior versions of PBOD or Diplomacy) save games?

In the example video, the first weapon is a standard spear with a Native thrust. Note how the shield opens for a thrust. I then press "X" to toggle weapon modes to the new (auto-generated) item and thrust again. Note how the shield remains in a guarding position and the spear thrusts over the top. I repeat the same procedure with a two-handed pike, the first thrust with the native item and the second having been "X"-toggled to a higher hold.

It looks pretty good, it may help on sieges attacking down while they are on the ladders. I would have to test it out to see how it is. As of now Im gonna vote (Yes, I very much want this feature).

Why do you have to change weapon modes?

Is it not possible to allow the weapon an "up" directional attack, but use the one hand/two hand sword stab animation?

Dwinny said:
Why do you have to change weapon modes?

Is it not possible to allow the weapon an "up" directional attack, but use the one hand/two hand sword stab animation?
The idea was to add choice, rather than change/restrict the original item, but making those changes directly could possibly reduce the need for this at least for the player. For the AI, this is part of a larger item-duplication effort with motomataru and his formations code, where we will be stripping out the "swing" animations from most weapons, restricting bots to thrusting when in formation, hopefully increasing their ability to do damage etc. This can be done without breaking savegame compatibility by adding the duplicated 'no swing' items to the end of the document, but this removes the ability for the player to make use of some of these adjustments (and adds a bit more processing during battles).

Since animations are specified by item-type (polearm, one hand, what have you) it is not possible in Warband to have a separate 'spear'-only "up" directional attack that uses the stab animation,  as overwriting the "up"/"overswing" polearm animation code would do so for all polearms. One could do what Vikingr does and try to tie the "up" animation to the pistol shooting animation, and overwrite that as it is unused most places...that could be applied item-by-item, rather than to an item type

First PBOD poll:
Is breaking Native (and prior mod version) savegame compatibility acceptable to add toggle-able high spear thrusts? (see video in post #380, pg26)
Yes, break it for whatever feature(s) you think is worth it: 70% (14)
Yes, I very much want this feature: 10% (2)
No, this feature isn't worth it: 15% (3)
No, do your best to never break it  :  5% (1)
Total votes: 20

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it...and it gives me a good sense of what will/won't be acceptable in the future (as we move toward using the Warband Script Enhancer and some of the tricks that become possible with that, too).

In other news, the "kit" version of PBOD has finally been made completely ModMerger compatible, for easy integration into the module system of other mods. This has been a primary code-side goal of mine since I started the project...and only took a year to accomplish. That makes the "kit" version of the code v0.91 and in need of some testing by other modders to be sure that the hands-free integration goes as it should (I've done some testing myself and I believe I've taken care of all the possible mistakes). Also, if you downloaded the kit prior to this point, I had forgotten to include the PBOD-adjusted formations kits in the .zip, but this is now fixed.

Caba`drin said:
In other news, the "kit" version of PBOD has finally been made completely ModMerger compatible, for easy integration into the module system of other mods. This has been a primary code-side goal of mine since I started the project...and only took a year to accomplish. That makes the "kit" version of the code v0.91 and in need of some testing by other modders to be sure that the hands-free integration goes as it should (I've done some testing myself and I believe I've taken care of all the possible mistakes). Also, if you downloaded the kit prior to this point, I had forgotten to include the PBOD-adjusted formations kits in the .zip, but this is now fixed.

A Kit! This is great. I'm trying to convince the Native Expansion guys to include your mod.

I needed a break from Floris Expanded bug fixing, so here's a little video taste of what I've been working on: Real Deployment/Pre-Battle Positioning. (You see I'm continuing my inability to come up with good names for things, though once this feature is ironed out, I've half a mind to try and clean up the name of the mod in some way as Pre-Battle Orders & Deployment & Positioning just sounds silly...but that's besides the point.)

With the help of some functions from cmp's Warband Script Enhancer that allows easier access to time-manipulation in battle, I present my alpha take on a free form at-battle-start deployment/positioning phase. Using the "hold down F1 flag" the player can drop troops wherever s/he wants as the battle starts so more complicated positioning can be created than what Pre-Battle Orders +/-10 paces * 4 allows. You'll note there is some fidgeting once time re-starts and the battle begins. I've not found a way around that...hopefully that isn't he way it has to be, particularly since then cavalry have a tendency to get turned backwards, but with bot AI you never know. The major thing I want to accomplish before allowing a test version out is integrating Pre-Battle Orders into the mix, so that if Pre-Battle Orders are selected (particularly formations, stand closer/spread out and +/-10 paces * 4 ) those orders are snapped into place before the free-form positioning commences. This shouldn't be too tough...and then I think it is safe to have out for testing. It is quite likely to need some smoothing around the edges.

Currently, I have this ability tactics-skill based. For every point of tactics skill, the player can use a 10m larger square around themselves for positioning (though behind them is always free). And the player is allowed Tactics Skill * 2 uses of the "hold down F1 flag" to place their divisions--meaning a tactics skill of 5 is needed to give every division 1 placement order (if the player uses all 9 divisions).  I currently have it forcing the camera to the custom 'follow' mode to give a better scope of the field, but it seems a bit more awkward to use the flag, so we'll see if that stays (though the toggle key can easily bring one back to the normal view).

Thoughts and constructive criticism on the design welcome; though I recognize more will likely be possible with a test version out, I wanted to see if any obvious design/use flaws seemed evident to others via video at this stage.

Hey there, I'm wondering, is it possible to set certain units to work independent from other units, even if they are the same rough unit type? For example, could I use the division system to get the AI generals use a unit of axemen (infantry) offensively while at the same time the AI uses a unit of spearmen (also infantry) defensively?

Or in a Kommenian-esque Byzantine-like army having cataphracts and more knightly cavalry work in the same way as each other but separately as two separate units of heavy cavalry?

FrisianDude said:
Hey there, I'm wondering, is it possible to set certain units to work independent from other units, even if they are the same rough unit type? For example, could I use the division system to get the AI generals use a unit of axemen (infantry) offensively while at the same time the AI uses a unit of spearmen (also infantry) defensively?
Yes, it's possible (along the same lines as the player splitting one troop type into two divisions that is allowed here already). agent_set_division can be used to split troops as desired, though this splitting needs to be maintained with an agent loop every second or so.

As for PBOD, this is something that I plan to incorporate by working it into the formations system. At present, the formations code already creates typologies of divisions. Splitting agents into weapon-specific (or other category) divisions will be the first fairly simple step followed by incorporating numerous divisions into the AIs calculations (it currently only considers the first 3). The difficult part here will be creating the varying AI for different divisions for different roles like defending the general or what not. This is probably the next major feature I plan to tackle (after the positioning gets smoothed out).

...speaking of which, I'm typically not one to comment on such things, but I had hoped/thought the video would have caught some attention.

Hi there,
I have just 2 modules in my Warband folder, Native and Diplomacy. I recently upgraded Warband to version 1.143 and had installed Diplo+PBODv88-HotfixB, all running OK. I wish to upgrade to PBODv91 can I just unzip Diplo42+PBOD91 into the Diplomacy module?
Thanks for all the hard work put in by others to this great game.

Guy de la Bere said:
Hi there,
I have just 2 modules in my Warband folder, Native and Diplomacy. I recently upgraded Warband to version 1.143 and had installed Diplo+PBODv88-HotfixB, all running OK. I wish to upgrade to PBODv91 can I just unzip Diplo42+PBOD91 into the Diplomacy module?
Thanks for all the hard work put in by others to this great game.
If you have done a fresh install of Diplomacy 4.2 after you upgraded to 1.143, then yes that is all you need to do.

Otherwise, delete your Diplomacy module folder, run the Diplomacy 4.2 installer, and then unzip the +PBOD file into the Diplomacy module.

Barqaboy said:
I downloaded the mod, but none of my Save Games are showing up. Is this normal?
It is--simple fix though. Go into C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Mount&Blade Warband Savegames\ and make a copy of the "Native" folder. Rename the copy to "PreBattle O&D" and now your games will show up.

Also, I think WeGame's servers have stopped crapping out and the deployment/positioning video consistently shows up finally. Let me know if there are still issues seeing that demonstration and I'll move it to YouTube if need be. I really would like any feedback if it should work differently before I finalize a test version.

EDIT - bah. It is still flaking out. Here's a YouTube link: Real Deployment/Positioning Alpha demo.

It worked thanks man, by the way, is that video going to be the next update to this mod?

EDIT: Now I have another error. The game crashes in every active settings, such as battles, talking to lords, going to castles/tavers, and taking a walk in the courtyard/town.

MOD note--I hit modify rather than quote. Apologies.

Barqaboy said:
It worked thanks man, by the way, is that video going to be the next update to this mod?
That's the goal.

Barqaboy said:
EDIT: Now I have another error. The game crashes in every active settings, such as battles, talking to lords, going to castles/tavers, and taking a walk in the courtyard/town.
Likely the standard Warband 1.143 version crash.
Open up module.ini found in your Warband install folder\Modules\PreBattle O&D\
Change the line disable_moveable_flag_optimization = 0 to = 1

Caba`drin said:
Barqaboy said:
That's the goal.

Barqaboy said:
Likely the standard Warband 1.143 version crash.
Open up module.ini found in your Warband install folder\Modules\PreBattle O&D\
Change the line disable_moveable_flag_optimization = 0 to = 1

I already did that, but it's still not helping. Should I re-install the mod perhaps?

Barqaboy said:
I already did that, but it's still not helping. Should I re-install the mod perhaps?
You definitely changed the module.ini in PreBattle O&D, not in Native? (Just double checking as this should be the bug fix)

If that doesn't do it, do you play with Steam? You could try ticking "enable cheats" from the Configure menu in the launcher as that might help with possible Steam crashes due to achievements (it turns achievement checks off).

If not that, has anything changed with your configuration/computer lately? Even if not, sometimes rgl_config.txt (found in C:\Users\<Username>\Mount&Blade Warband\ gets corrupted, causing crashes. You can delete the file, forcing Warband to create a new one.

If not that, then reinstalling the mod and maybe Warband is the last step.

Back
Top Bottom