Potential new gamer

Users who are viewing this thread

Wait until full release, but in the meantime you should play Bannerlord's predecessor (and superior!) Mount & Blade: Warband.

Warband is a masterpiece; tons of great mods available and even vanilla is pretty copacetic and entertaining. Honestly, Warband will probably leave you more fulfilled than Bannerlord ever will.

The question is quite delicate...

Should you buy a game in Early Access, meaning buying an unfunished product? No, it is non sense.

Should you buy BL in EA, and don't mind about "supporting" the development? Yeah if you are OK to face crashes, broken saves and take time to give feedback in the forums, report bugs etc. then go for it.

Should you buy BL in EA, just to enjoy the game? Not yet... Don't get me wrong, the game already offers a lot of fun early game and keeps improving patches after patchs.
But a lot of major features still need improvements and balancing (sieges, diplomacy, relations, AI behaviour in battle,...) or are not yet available (banners, battle orders, battle terrain,...) that you may end like a lot of current players... Frustrated and desesperately waiting for THE update that will deliver them from their grievance... Or in worse case ending up calling Bannerlord a grift (there is a dedicated thread for it :roll:)...
I personnaly bought the game to support the development and looking for some fun as well.
But I'm limiting the game experience to early and mid game (as a mercenary mainly).

(EDIT)
In case you decide to try Warband, must have mod is Bannerpage for a full "native" experience.
Then maybe try with Brytenwalda (realistic) or The Last Days (of The Third Age of Middle Earth, LotR overhaul).

Last edited:
The thing that is attracting me to this game is the ability to use player made mods, in my experience with the TW series make the vanilla game much much enjoyable. How easy is it to use mods or make your own minor tweaks/changes?
Mods comparable to what has been done for Warband will not be released in the near future due to the state of the game. It remains unclear whether they will be releasable within the next years.

I would suggest buying it, 50$ is totally worth what bannerlord would give in return. The game is constantly patched and cared for and the modding community is second to none.
See above.

If you are in for the modding, don't throw your money at Taleworlds right now.

The actual answer to this question is ignore what anyone else says; go read reviews - watch gameplay videos; catch a bit of a playthrough by a streamer and make your own decision.

Mods comparable to what has been done for Warband will not be released in the near future due to the state of the game. It remains unclear whether they will be releasable within the next years.

See above.

If you are in for the modding, don't throw your money at Taleworlds right now.
Curious what’s holding up the major players out there from developing? Is TW restricting tool access? Or maybe changing Source routinely rendering current code obsolete

Curious what’s holding up the major players out there from developing? Is TW restricting tool access? Or maybe changing Source routinely rendering current code obsolete
Maybe modders are lazy and incompetent and need to be told so - this is how you speed up mod development!
(But seriously, it seems they are doing models and some scenes, and are reluctant to dig deeper, conscious that TW might make major changes yet and break their stuff. But I would also like to hear more from the modders themselves about their current work, regardless of the glorious plans they might have for some uncertain future.)
I also await the announcement of PoP as a paid DLC, developed by a team of ten "game designers", five writers, two artists and one programmer, a balanced and proven team structure. :razz:

Hello everyone,
I just happened to stumble on some Youtube videos of this game and was quite pleased with what I saw. It reminded me of the Total War games (hopefully I'm not offending anyone by bringing up competition!). The battles are a bit different though, how different? Not sure yet, I haven't shelled out the $50 yet.

For me, this is an expensive game. The only other one I spent almost this much was Naval Action as I am a sucker for the Age of Sail. So before I splurge on a "Total War" like game (which I actually love, just did not spend as much), I was wondering how worth it this game is?

I did watch several videos that talk about how great this game is and some them show the actual gameplay in a campaign form, watched several of what I assumed were custom battles and I liked what I saw. However, I also watched some videos that pointed out some significant imbalances and mechanics exploits, such as some interactions with characters on the strategic map that you can offer peace to (right after declaring war) and make them give you a fortune in gold even though they have 100 men and the player only one man! I am not sure whether this was a cheat or what, but the Youtube guy said it was the vanilla version.

The thing that is attracting me to this game is the ability to use player made mods, in my experience with the TW series make the vanilla game much much enjoyable. How easy is it to use mods or make your own minor tweaks/changes?

Thank you,
APC
the game is fun and worthy and getting better... but, if you still unsured wait full release and then see what ppl will say of it.. I'd recommend not listen to the toxic guys here who just go agressive on everything they read. There lot of threads you can read and get good information about the game, especially the posts of Blood gryphon, apocal... (those i remmeber top of my head), they make critics but not stupidly and attacking the devs and the company.
I'd recommend you to get your information first, then decide on your own... It's your money after all, but in your case that wants tweaks and mods, i'd suggest wait full release and if you don't like vanilla, won't there be new patches to break the game with new updates

have a good day

Maybe modders are lazy and incompetent and need to be told so - this is how you speed up mod development!
(But seriously, it seems they are doing models and some scenes, and are reluctant to dig deeper, conscious that TW might make major changes yet and break their stuff. But I would also like to hear more from the modders themselves about their current work, regardless of the glorious plans they might have for some uncertain future.)
I also await the announcement of PoP as a paid DLC, developed by a team of ten "game designers", five writers, two artists and one programmer, a balanced and proven team structure. :razz:
Let me try to share some insights then. I'm a scener / general design guy, so I can't go into details of coding. Sword & Musket is a MP modification, so we are screwed worse than SP. But it might be worth a read nonetheless.

When it comes to scenes for MP modifications, we are pretty much blindfolded and unable to produce actually finished stuff for MP mods. Yes, we have a scene editor. But how should we create balanced or "fun to play" maps, when we don't even know how large maps can be, what gamemodes we will have, and how many people will be able to play? We can't just throw around 1.5kmx1.5km linebattle maps without basic knowledge of how the game will play out. Will we have 50 people? 100? 200? 300? 500? Will we even ever have battlemode? We don't know. Will we have conquest or battle or both? How large can maps be in MP? 500x500m? 1kmx1km? More? Why did Taleworlds not release battlemode in the first place, where are the issues that we have to take care about? How is the performance? Then there's the wildcards, just as an example of how things can go wrong: maps in Warband could be broken by adding too many light sources...
That's just scenes, the same problems apply to custom assets, animations, and last but not least code. Furthermore, we can't test anything in MP, heck, we don't even know when we will have the possibility to host ANY server at all.

Feel free to check out some of the things I had prepared or Sword & Musket:

Note the word "prepared". None of that is finished, simply because I do not have enough information about what to expect from future MP. The other sceners for Sword&Musket share the same issues. Therefore, we are still stuck in the "preparation" phase.

Furthermore, Taleworlds' updates tend to fix one thing and break another. Why should we waste time and ressources to prepare stuff which might not work in later versions of the game? The "roadmap" provided by Taleworlds is vague, and everyone who has been here for some time knows that Taleworlds' announcements simply cannot be trusted. At this point, I'm even getting pissed by knowing that people threw money at Taleworlds because of
The thing that is attracting me to this game is the ability to use player made mods, in my experience with the TW series make the vanilla game much much enjoyable.
Many people bought Bannerlord for the mods, not for whatever Taleworlds' "visions" is supposed to be. But mod-development has some bottlenecks. Even if we had all tools and custom servers available right now, putting the entire thing together would take at least one, if not even several years. And many have already lost their motivation.

What did we get?

Those guys working on SP can share similar stories.

Oh, and modders have a reallife too. So yeah, we're screwed.

Last edited:
Let me try to share some insights then. I'm a scener / general design guy, so I can't go into details of coding. Sword & Musket is a MP modification, so we are screwed worse than SP. But it might be worth a read nonetheless.
Yup, MP modders are extra screwed, particularly the part when you can't even test. Thanks for letting us know what it looks like.

Bannerlord's best part are the memes, and this has quite some hilarious moments. (I lost it at Terco's part :grin:)

Thanks for all the feedback, this is great.

So, it looks like as far as mods are concerned, it might not be ready due to the possibility of them becoming unplayable every time there is a new Patch which is understandable. But is the game actually mod friendly and designed to allow skilled gamers/modders to produce great Mods?

As far as buying a game in EA, I do not mind that at all. I have purchased them before and have been quite active with testing, keeping track of bugs, providing feedback and just really involved in improving something I really like. As with any EA game, some dev teams are more responsive than others...etc.

After watching all the youtube vids/gameplay/campaigns/tips/tutorials for Bannerlord, and then looking at Warband...the graphics are just...so 2010! The visuals are so impressive with Bannerlord it's starting to look like it's worth the $50!

I'll soon be joining the ranks of the chosen (or the doomed) who are enjoying this game.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
APC

:iamamoron:

Man those were good times -we had some ornery people on that team but fun nonetheless. Nothing would make me happier than to see PoP arisen again

*and by "nothing" excluding swedish bikini team and pizza obviously

Hi TFK,

I did read here and there "vision", but was not sure what it actually is, in a few words what is the vision actually?

Thank you,
APC
Refering to the current vision TW has about BL, what features will be added or not, how the game should behave, what can be accessible for modders etc...
Part of the fanbase (the oldies, the one that were following the game development since the beginning) has built a lot of expectations and ended up having a certain vision of the game.
And this is where things started to get delicate, once TW started to change their inital plans, slowly but surely differing from fanbase vision (oftenly named as too gamey, for console players, etc...).
Check this thread to have a better understand of the gap between fanbase expectations and TW's plan...

Back
Top Bottom