Potential multiplayer skins leak

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm not even sure how cosmetic skins would work in Bannerlord. So they sell fancy armor to people, does that mean their armor is more protective too? If not, that means there is a disconnect between the visual (their improved armor) and the mechanics. Likewise, how long before there are high fantasy armors or armor that is just plain silly? I want to support TaleWorlds too, but I'm not sure cosmetics are the right direction.

famous_squamous said:
I'm not even sure how cosmetic skins would work in Bannerlord. So they sell fancy armor to people, does that mean their armor is more protective too?

Just a conjecture, but I imagine that they intend to have an array of cosmetics that would more or less look like they'd offer the same protection as the base armour of a particular class, so some cosmetics would be locked to some classes.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make a clarification on this issue. Micro-transactions are not something we are actively working on at the moment. However, cosmetic only micro-transactions are a great way to fund active multiplayer updates and if we decide to add purchasable or grindable skins at some point, we'll definitely make them strictly cosmetic-only.

Also, the idea that class selection was added to facilitate micro-transactions makes absolutely no sense. Warband's multiplayer equipment system was more or less inspired by Counter Strike, and Valve doesn't seem to have any problems using Micro-transactions with their game. We could have used an equipment selection system for multiplayer and devise a monetization system for it quite easily. Frankly, micro-transactions is the last thing in our mind, since we still have the huge task of creating a successful and fun multiplayer game experience.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make a clarification on this issue. Micro-transactions are not something we are actively working on at the moment. However, cosmetic only micro-transactions are a great way to fund active multiplayer updates and if we decide to add purchasable or grindable skins at some point, we'll definitely make them strictly cosmetic-only.

Also, the idea that class selection was added to facilitate micro-transactions makes absolutely no sense. Warband's multiplayer equipment system was more or less inspired by Counter Strike, and Valve doesn't seem to have any problems using Micro-transactions with their game. We could have used an equipment selection system for multiplayer and devise a monetization system for it quite easily. Frankly, micro-transactions is the last thing in our mind, since we still have the huge task of creating a successful and fun multiplayer game experience.

Thanks for the reply! Highlighted, I wonder how will you make this work with the moddability of Bannerlord? Purchasing skin for multiplayer when you will have different mods that allow you to skin your character (in their own mod multiplayer server of course)?! I think you are aiming for some kind of competitive official taleworld server where skins will be sold for your competitive character as you take inspiration from Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

Always nice to see you on the forums Armagan. It is reassuring to know from you that microtransactions are the last of your concerns, at the same time though you are leaving the door open for this kind of monetization. Considering that due to the new class system we are already more limited in terms of customization, I hope that if you do decide to take this approach with cosmetics, you will do so very sensibly and while keeping this factor firmly in mind.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response Armagan, I know the lack of communication on the topic of monetization has irritated some of us. We would appreciate a comprehensive announcement on the exact nature of the in-game store once you are done developing it, but for now this is apparently something we won't have to worry about for a while.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the clarifying so much. I might be seen as a hate boy who likes to **** on at TW but just know i care about your game and dont do this to undermine you.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

While I'm glad my initial paranoia was unfounded, I would argue that such conclusions make enough sense that several people simultaneously thought the same thing when reading the speculation in the first post of the thread. Counter Strike's equipment system is restrained only by a few choice differences between two factions, and there is no "class" system with varying equipment/stats within those two factions. If Warband/Bannerlord's Faction system is used as the example, there's 6 factions with only a handful of overlapping equipment choices. In order for the equipment to stay unique to those factions, and the theoretical cosmetics to be applied; you would only have access to the cosmetics that you bought on one faction, and perhaps only one of the classes for that one faction. And yet within the class/faction system you have designed for Bannerlord, while still difficult to apply, it would be much less difficult/immersion breaking to apply the theorized cosmetics system to it, compared to Warband.

Given that I've had significant issue with a large number of the design decisions regarding Bannerlord's Multiplayer, and the changes compared to Warband; it wasn't at all much of a stretch for me, and perhaps others, to assume what I assumed. I'm glad I was wrong on my assumptions, but the root causes of those assumptions still remain.

Thanks for the clarification, regardless.

Younes said:
Thanks for the clarifying so much. I might be seen as a hate boy who likes to **** on at TW but just know i care about your game and dont do this to undermine you.
I don't think anyone thinks you're a "hate boy" or any other such thing. We all want the same thing around here.

Younes said:

:mad: Hate boy! Horrid hatey-hate boy! Grrrr!  *shakes fist*

Armagan said:
We could have used an equipment selection system for multiplayer and devise a monetization system for it quite easily. Frankly, micro-transactions is the last thing in our mind, since we still have the huge task of creating a successful and fun multiplayer game experience.
:party: :party: :party:

vicwiz007 said:
Armagan said:
We could have used an equipment selection system for multiplayer and devise a monetization system for it quite easily. Frankly, micro-transactions is the last thing in our mind, since we still have the huge task of creating a successful and fun multiplayer game experience.
:party: :party: :party:
Warband customization with cosmetics > Bannerlord customization with no cosmetics.

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the clarification!

I do think Skins would be an excellent way to introduce some much-requested customization into the game. The game has a lot of realistic -- but generic -- equipment that people wouldn't get hyped about purchasing as cosmetics, but they would help players feel more customized.

In addition to the Mordhau and Overwatch models I mentioned earlier, a smaller game that I thought handled cosmetic character customization well is Guns of Icarus. You unlock a number of free items and dyes when leveling and by unlocking achievements, and then can purchase or earn other premium skins with money or by playing.

pegunCZ said:
Why is there atleast one dev viewing this thread all the time?
That's to provide ample warning to the garrison in case the torches and pitchforks start being raised by the angry peasants.

Glad to hear that the worst fears of the masses are unfounded (at least for the near future), and thanks to Armagan for the clarification.

Many thanks to everyone for your warm response...

Younes said:
I personally love the fact that M&B players are passionate about the game and I would only start worrying if you guys stopped holding us to account. And you don't come accross as a hate boy at all.

Please keep giving criticism, good or bad, and we'll do our best to deliver and address the issues.

Armagan said:
Many thanks to everyone for your warm response...

Younes said:
I personally love the fact that M&B players are passionate about the game and I would only start worrying if you guys stopped holding us to account. And you don't come accross as a hate boy at all.

Please keep giving criticism, good or bad, and we'll do our best to deliver and address the issues.
I have been blessed by Armagan, a story i will tell my children.

Just know a lot of players have put faith into Taleworlds to truly be a one of a kind game and that the community that has formed over the years are not some people who spend a few 100 hours on the game but more like thousands of hours.

I truly hope you listen to the suggestion that this community offers and if you really believe something shouldn't be like this, at least try to find a compromise between the community and the vision of the developing team.

Miss you warband customization :'(

Armagan said:
Hi everyone,

I'm actually in full favor of a system like this. As you said, it's a great way to fund multiplayer updates in a fair manner.

What I find interesting is that for a system like this to have a real purpose, customization needs to be a major part of the multiplayer. Otherwise, what's the point of making a character customization system if there's only a few items to choose from?
I can see this being a great system.

Piconi said:
So are you taking into account our suggestions for aesthetic changes of units as well or . . .  :lol:
I'll let myself out  :facepalm:
They definitely should.

Piconi said:
So are you taking into account our suggestions for aesthetic changes of units as well or . . .  :lol:
I'll let myself out  :facepalm:

Aesthetic suggestions are most welcome. Actually your thread with your, Terco's and others' concepts looks amazing and I was planning to ask for your permission before stealing some ideas...  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom