Potential multiplayer skins leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Z0mbiN3 said:
Cochus1 said:
didnt know Bannerlord was programmed in C#
It isn't.
Bannerlord is written using a combination of C# and C++.

Z0mbiN3 said:
Ster said:
I highly doubt TW will encrypt/obfuscate their DLLs. Doing so would have a large negative impact on modding (submodules). The reason why the giant exploit worked was because there was no server-side validation for it. To put this in simpler terms, the client told the server "I am x meters tall". The server, received this information and because there was no server-side validation, decided "Okay, you are x meters tall" and forwarded this data to the other connected clients.

While encrypting/obfuscating DLLs would provide an added layer of security, it will not prevent exploits.

Exactly. Anyone decent at reverse engineering would be able to exploit things even with encryption. However at the same time encryption would severely slow down, delay and harm any possible script extenders.
Encryption/obfuscation would do more harm than good for the game and I can almost guarantee that within the 1st year of release there would be tools out there to decrypt/deobfuscate the DLLs (to a good extent). If TW were to do this, it would practically ruin modding for Bannerlord, which is a major selling point of the game.

I think that this is most likely for a cosmetic store, but the main problem is that we do not know how the store works at all.

What variety of cosmetic objects are there?
Are customization items locked by class and/or faction?
Can you purchase cosmetics with in-game currency that can be earned through playing multiplayer?
Are cosmetics tied to the leveling system that we've seen in the beta?
Can you purchase cosmetics or in-game currency with real-world currency?
Will this ever include non-cosmetic items?
Can this be used to create a Warband-like class customization/creation system that can possibly be used by modders, custom server hosts, and/or certain game modes since the skin customization apparently utilizes a slot system similar to warband's class system?
Can player-made skins be included within this store and also visible to other players?
Will any objects sold in the store have a noticeable effect on the gameplay?
Will there be an option to turn off the ability to see another player's skins, especially if they're player-made, to preserve immersion?

I imagine Taleworlds themselves are pulling a Monster Hunter World and trying to include cosmetics to increase their long-term profits from the game, and are hopefully in the midst of figuring out how they want to pull off an in-game store without being obtrusive or greedy like how Monster Hunter World did it. I much prefer that we don't assume that Taleworlds has had this planned out for months or years and just didn't tell us in a cowardly effort to delay or avoid the inevitable backlash, or even worse, cash in on pre-orders and launch buys, but game companies are known to do even dumber **** (like ban a pro player for a political belief, flat out tell their fanbase not to buy their game, or withhold bugfixes to be sold later inside of DLC packs) so I wouldn't be surprised. I think that if properly handled, a store could add a lot to the multiplayer of this game, but it can also easily turn into a disaster.

Gab said:
I'd find it quite insulting to first give us a class system that imposes more limitations, and then sell us cosmetics,

My first thoughts exactly.

If this is as it appears, then the the absolute refusal by TaleWorlds it even consider any changes to the current class system, begins to make sense. It would probably be difficult and time consuming for TaleWorlds to implement a microtransaction scheme in a class/loadout system like Warband's. With the current system, there will probably only be 2-3 armor types per class at most, allowing for the far easier ability to slot cosmetics in as replacement armor textures and such.

I'm not saying that this is what TaleWorlds is doing, but if it is: such a thing is downright despicable.

Ster said:
Z0mbiN3 said:
Cochus1 said:
It isn't.

Z0mbiN3 said:
Ster said:
I highly doubt TW will encrypt/obfuscate their DLLs. Doing so would have a large negative impact on modding (submodules). The reason why the giant exploit worked was because there was no server-side validation for it. To put this in simpler terms, the client told the server "I am x meters tall". The server, received this information and because there was no server-side validation, decided "Okay, you are x meters tall" and forwarded this data to the other connected clients.

While encrypting/obfuscating DLLs would provide an added layer of security, it will not prevent exploits.

Exactly. Anyone decent at reverse engineering would be able to exploit things even with encryption. However at the same time encryption would severely slow down, delay and harm any possible script extenders.
Encryption/obfuscation would do more harm than good for the game and I can almost guarantee that within the 1st year of release there would be tools out there to decrypt/deobfuscate the DLLs (to a good extent). If TW were to do this, it would practically ruin modding for Bannerlord, which is a major selling point of the game.

Yeah, the script they posted is clearly C# .

Evvv said:
The fact that there are a million and one developers looking at this thread right now is of great interest...

:lol:

varios-anons.gif

Always on the lookout

Micros are not bad if they  are cosmetic only and provide future free DLC. Its either that or paid expansions. Stop being communists and expect all of the **** to be free. Sustaining a game is not really a one time sell thing. Unless you abandon it.

578 said:
[...]
Stop being communists and expect all of the **** to be free. Sustaining a game is not really a one time sell thing. Unless you abandon it.
Thinks communism is everything free or expecting free stuff  :facepalm:

That aside, i think you missinterpreted the slight backlash. It is suspected that the real hidden agenda for the premade classes for multiplayer everyone hates was to enforce microtransactions as the only option for customization, and not some lame excuses we were given before.

I am staying positive until release tho and for sure buying the game.

There are times when words are blown away by the wind; however, I leave this here.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
KhergitLancer80 said:
They should also add some of the perks as microtransactions...

No. Just, no.
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
[...]
Customisation - We know that customising your character is a big part of the Mount and Blade multiplayer experience, and we will definitely be having more ways than just the character creator to allow your character to have its own personal style and flair. We have some things in the pipeline, however, we want to finalise the design before we share it with you.
[...]
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
[...]

Class system: After going through all of your comments on this, we believe that the main concern for a lot of people with this system are the limitations when it comes to customising your character. Of course, we are aware that some of you are dead set against the class system in any form and would prefer that the game reverts to Warband's approach. However, we are confident that we will be able to provide a new and enjoyable experience with it - which is why we don't want to be ambiguous about focusing our attention on improving it rather than trying to start over.

Anyway, with that put to one side, we know that one of the appealing aspects of Warband's item selection system is that it allows you to inject your own personality into your character. Rest assured that we do have plans to allow players to customise the appearance of their character further and expand their equipment options through perks. Unfortunately, those are things that we can't go into too much detail about quite yet. Our primary focus at the moment is to improve base mechanics like the combat so that the game rests on a solid foundation before we start work on supporting aspects of MP. Furthermore, while we do have ideas and plans for what we would like to achieve, a lot can change in a short amount of time so we don't want to get you excited for something that might later be changed. We know this might seem like a bit of a non-answer right now, but we want to assure you that customisation is in our minds and we will be expanding the options that players have available to them at some point down the road, both in terms of equipment choices and visual variety.

I hope™ Taleworlds bet on a free customization like the one you can find in Mordhau.

Terco_Viejo said:
There are times when words are blown away by the wind; however, I leave this here.

Callum_TaleWorlds said:
KhergitLancer80 said:
They should also add some of the perks as microtransactions...

No. Just, no.
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
[...]
Customisation - We know that customising your character is a big part of the Mount and Blade multiplayer experience, and we will definitely be having more ways than just the character creator to allow your character to have its own personal style and flair. We have some things in the pipeline, however, we want to finalise the design before we share it with you.
[...]
Callum_TaleWorlds said:
[...]

Class system: After going through all of your comments on this, we believe that the main concern for a lot of people with this system are the limitations when it comes to customising your character. Of course, we are aware that some of you are dead set against the class system in any form and would prefer that the game reverts to Warband's approach. However, we are confident that we will be able to provide a new and enjoyable experience with it - which is why we don't want to be ambiguous about focusing our attention on improving it rather than trying to start over.

Anyway, with that put to one side, we know that one of the appealing aspects of Warband's item selection system is that it allows you to inject your own personality into your character. Rest assured that we do have plans to allow players to customise the appearance of their character further and expand their equipment options through perks. Unfortunately, those are things that we can't go into too much detail about quite yet. Our primary focus at the moment is to improve base mechanics like the combat so that the game rests on a solid foundation before we start work on supporting aspects of MP. Furthermore, while we do have ideas and plans for what we would like to achieve, a lot can change in a short amount of time so we don't want to get you excited for something that might later be changed. We know this might seem like a bit of a non-answer right now, but we want to assure you that customisation is in our minds and we will be expanding the options that players have available to them at some point down the road, both in terms of equipment choices and visual variety.

I hope™ Taleworlds bet on a free customization like the one you can find in Mordhau.
Exactly! I remember those words like it was yesterday ! Ranked unlockable cosmetics or even better equipment in general would be my best guess.
The wording "store" and "purchased" is what is confusing here, but not 100% alarming until we know for sure the way it's implemented.

Cochus1 said:
Ster said:
Z0mbiN3 said:
Cochus1 said:
It isn't.

Z0mbiN3 said:
Ster said:
-snip-
-snip-

Yeah, the script they posted is clearly C# .

The decompiler used just translates to C#, they've stated multiple times the engine is made in C++, and it should, for efficiency reasons. You are right in that scripting will be C#, however.

Fluff apart, customization is always a good thing. Monetized or not, so long as it's purely cosmetic.

What comes to my mind first, is how skins are going to affect the game. If I can make my low-tier class look like I am a heavy knight class I'm against that concept. After all, equipement gives valuable info about how fast or sturdy a player is.
If it's just a different cloak that's cool.
And if it ends up beeing paid dlc, and players feel treated unfairly they will probably just start playing multiplayer mods.
In general I doubt that any kind of dlc will be able to compete with mods. If I recall correctly, people were furious with Bethesda, when they tried to charge for fanmade content for Fallout 4. Altough it's a different story, I hope my train of thought is understandable.

In short I don't mind good cosmetics, paid or free, but it will have to compete with free, community made, content.

Classes are not implemented to make them a cash cow lmao, conspiracy theories like this are totally stupid. Classes were not made for money, they are made because of lazy and dumb design.

578 said:
Classes are not implemented to make them a cash cow lmao, conspiracy theories like this are totally stupid. Classes were not made for money, they are made because of lazy and dumb design.
Yeah, this is totaly reasonable and constructive tought :neutral:

578 said:
I mean you can believe what you want.
27xDQ.png
(201:cool:
But in the end

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=381902.0
https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/discussions/0/3288067088114937101/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/discussions/0/1743355067133153268/

It was there all along was it not?

I would like Taleworlds to make loads and loads of money.
There, I said it !

It is my favourite developer company, in front of CDPR even. I would like for everyone involved in making this gem of a game to make a fine iving out of it, and for Armagan himself i wish him to have enough funds to even retire if he wishes so, and live off of Bannerlords dividends.

This is not altruism, no such thing exists. "Altruistic" men find pleasure in helping others, sometimes even at their own short or long term expense of time, funds, pain or emotion, but in the end get the satisfaction of helping someone, sometimes they don't even know, so it makes every action everybody makes on this world selfish, when you deeply think about it.

That being said, although i consider myslef an altruist (to conform), i want Taleworlds to earn so much money so they keep producing the type of games I enjoy playing, and i want Bannerlord to succeed because that means it will have dev support for many years, which further means i will enjoy it more on both singleplayer and multiplayer front.
So basicaly i'm being selfish.

After this spill of truth and wisomtm, i must say that them not responding to this probably means the OP put them in an awkward position, which i personally don't like putting anyone in, so i would wait and not speculate any further, because the suggestions here for ways of implementing alleged microtransactions are many, but the trust in our beloved company seems to be unfortunately low.
Not on my side !
Let's just wait it out.
:party:

As Terco points out they've been pretty clear about not putting microtransactions in, so I'd expect "purchase" to relate to spending in-game gold earned by levelling etc. They've already confirmed skins (then deleted that haha).

Plenty of design issues with Bannerlord but I don't think they're EAing it.

OurGloriousLeader said:
As Terco points out they've been pretty clear about not putting microtransactions in, so I'd expect "purchase" to relate to spending in-game gold earned by levelling etc. They've already confirmed skins (then deleted that haha).

Plenty of design issues with Bannerlord but I don't think they're EAing it.
Words are only strong if you stay true to them.
Lets hope money didnt make taleworlds not true to those words.

Back
Top Bottom