Post Difficult Questions Here

Users who are viewing this thread

I learned functions and to translate Ancient Greek and Latin to modern Greek, in high school, among many other interesting subjects, in a variety of fields. It seems that Hungarian education is lacking. :unsure:

I think you should bite the bullet and give credit where credit is due. You can point out (reasonable suspicions of) ulterior motives, but opposing something you like just because someone you dislike now likes it too, is childish, if not pathetic.
Well that was harsh.

Why is it such a problem? The guy and his party has made several comments in the recent past (1-2 years ago) to show their real, uncensored ideas. If they were able and allowed to curb the influx of migrants, while at the same time arranging humanitarian action on site, I would applaud them. But as long as their wish was being met, that is keeping them out of here, any action taken on site would be half-assed at the very best.

I can give credit where credit is due, Carl Bildt is an extraordinary economist and fiscal politician that offered the Swedish economy a great deal of stability. Despite this, he is one of the most controversial figures in not only the political arena, but also the moderate party, which is my party's outspoken rival.

I learned functions and to translate Ancient Greek and Latin to modern Greek, in high school, among many other interesting subjects, in a variety of fields. It seems that Hungarian education is lacking. :unsure:

To be frank, there were occasions when I didn't pay full attention to what the teacher was saying.

@Abraxium

Sorry, man, didn't mean nothing by it :smile: It was more in response to Bilgesi's general question than your specific dilemma. I assumed we were talking about proposals by people in power, that are about to happen/can realistically happen. Not just a minor perma-opposition party running their mouth because they know their ideas will never actually be tested by reality.

People keep criticising European colonisers for drawing borders that do not respect ethnic/religious identities. Is it even possible to carve states in a clean way that does not cause this problem? It looks like you always have to keep some 'similar' people out and 'different' people in because people don't spread out so rigidly

Europeans didn't even draw their own borders with respect to ethnic and religious identities and it took a century or so of pan-continental warfare, ethnic cleansing, population transfers and assimilation programs to make it semi-work, and there's still at least 10 potential powder kegs. Why should anyone else get a free pass? :razz:

The "real" complaint about european statebuilding in Africa and Asia is that they put together these provinces and flared up or even created ethnic tension in order to maintain control. Then when independence movements happened the colonisers completely withdrew and didn't even attempt to try and resolve the tensions, resulting in these states with irreconcilable antagonisms between whichever ethnic group worked closest with the colonisers and whichever ones that didn't.

For general postcolonial rhetoric in the west this has been simplified down to "they drew borders without respect for ethnicity" which is exactly what the colonisers would have liked to believe, because it excuses them of starting many of these conflicts in the first place, and essentialises the problems as just part of the scenery in Africa and Asia.

Oh yeah, it´s all coming together. Time for some human geography

Is it even possible to carve states in a clean way that does not cause this problem? It looks like you always have to keep some 'similar' people out and 'different' people in because people don't spread out so rigidly
Very short and un-academic answer, no. Even a region that has managed to remain somewhat ethnically homogenous in a very diverse and tumultuous place such as Republika Srpska in Bosnia and Herzegovina, sees "intrusions" into the drawn border. What causes this might very often be marriages and relations across borders, historic migrations or refusal to leave their native home despite it having gone through drastic change. (Such as Christians or other non-muslims residing in the Middle East, at times very isolated)
For modern times, it might also be a factor of work reasons. You'll find a great deal of labourers originating from Eastern Europe in Central Europe that have settled. Which is why the eastern and coastal parts of modern Germany is home to the majority of the country's Polish minority, despite the region's historical ethnic transfers.

The "real" complaint about european statebuilding in Africa and Asia is that they put together these provinces and flared up or even created ethnic tension in order to maintain control. Then when independence movements happened the colonisers completely withdrew and didn't even attempt to try and resolve the tensions, resulting in these states with irreconcilable antagonisms between whichever ethnic group worked closest with the colonisers and whichever ones that didn't.

For general postcolonial rhetoric in the west this has been simplified down to "they drew borders without respect for ethnicity" which is exactly what the colonisers would have liked to believe, because it excuses them of starting many of these conflicts in the first place, and essentialises the problems as just part of the scenery in Africa and Asia.
Did you take African studies in uni? :smile:
If we're using Rwanda as an example, you're extremely correct in that one group might have received better societal status due to their compliance with colonial forces. Tutsi and Hutu aren't very dissimilar in any way but class, I am unsure whether this was the case before or after colonial intervention, but I know that the colonial government heightened the Tutsi to a more lavish role in society.

How do I convert? :lol:

It's a shame that oriental studies with focus on China and Persia at my university was only offered as an entire program and not a single course. Now I'm taking urban-social planning with German literature for extra credits

One of the most enlightening moments in my life was last year during a church fair where the pastor organised an "iranians vs everyone else" tug of war. It literally became Albanian chads and African chads vs Persian chads, all these men being built the exact same way and with the same twirly stalin moustaches. After seeing literal tonnes of energy being exerted before they all collapsed into a heap and showed off their biceps to each other, I concluded that West Africa, Eastern Europe and Iran have more or less the same culture.

All joking aside West Africans and Eastern Europeans get along famously well here, and there are a lot of mixed marriages.

If we are cousins with the British, why do they make it so difficult to obtain us a VISA? They even used our banner IYI and our God's name on their shrines. That is insolence!

97189834_10157583352188253_7560634714462093312_o.jpg

I don't get any of that.
yUXLr.jpg
Æneas is a mythological character. Why does a historian speculate about him bringing anything anywhere?
It doesn't sound trustworthy.

Yes. He probably was trying to find a link between "Aryans" and Europeans as was the fashion during those times. The thing is he documented all these.
Then you brought our tamga there? And here: https://tarihvearkeoloji.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-etruscans-etruskler.html

etr%25C3%25BCsk+kay%25C4%25B1.jpg

Bulgarians, British, Etruscans, Trojans, Turks.The link is here. We want our free VISA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom