Post Difficult Questions Here

Users who are viewing this thread

If you call ambulances for panic attacks, then maybe that's why you have a shortage of them...

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
is there a triple <a;b;c> such that a+b, b+c and a+c taste good, but a+b+c doesn't taste good?

Hm, interesting.

I would say that generally you don't want too many fundamental tastes in one food. Sweet and sour works well, sweet and salty also, sour and salty possibly also, but sweet+sour+salty seems too much.

I haven't even seen any muted folks yet, but I'll bet a decent amount of money that Mundy's one of them.

Edit: Oh wow, he wasn't one of them. :lol:

Any mods care to update the Bans/Mutes/Warns thread with who did get in trouble? I briefly skimmed over a couple pages of the Syria thread, but didn't really feel like slogging through too much of it tbh.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry said:
It's entertaining how liberally handed out the punishments were at first, which then suddenly dried up when the genocide deniers showed up :iamamoron:
It was Duh keeping the law and order in the Syria thread and he's away for few days. Use the report button to get other mods to take a look if necessary.

Arvenski said:
I haven't even seen any muted folks yet, but I'll bet a decent amount of money that Mundy's one of them.

You think way too little of me. I am a nice person, you ****ing asshead!

Arvenski said:
K-64 said:
What Bans/Mutes/Warns thread? They removed those ages ago. Probably because it's easier to ignore private emails from people rather than public questions.
It's just not stickied anymore.
Nope. In September 2017 Llandy made a post on some of those public information threads making it pretty clear that all of that stuff is only to be discussed in private by sending e-mails to the administration team. That thread is never going to be used again.

So just spit balling a concept/idea here, but so far there have been practically speaking two approaches to the issue of Climate Change: the first, and most obvious, is of course prevention, attempting to stop the conditions for change before it can reach a critical tipping point. This has, obviously, not been totally effective, in the face of a third (technically speaking non-)approach of skepticism, denial, or non-action. Debate that as you will. The second is preparation to deal with the effects, side-effects, and consequences of Climate Change, whether it is through dams, levees, reservoirs, or other infrastructure to prevent flooding or store water to mitigate drought: again, something only in its infancy, and to a point discouraged by activists of the first approach party as fatalist self-preservationist acceptance of an avoidable fate. However, I was talking to someone on Discord about the Beijing Weather Modification Office, which basically modifies the weather patterns of the capital area directly by firing rockets into the atmosphere loaded with silver iodide to "seed' rainstorms and prevent dust-storms rolling off Mongolia and the Gobi from hitting the city, as well as ending droughts and other functions.

So this got me thinking of the potential for a fourth option: one where, likely with the necessity of advancing weather-modification technology beyond our current level (but still with its current proof-of-concepts in rainstorm seeding and other methods), humanity actively manages and mitigates the effects of our own self-induced global climate change through regionalized measures. Obviously outright prevention would be a preferable course, but if we are to likely go past the tipping point, again with conjectural advances in our current technologies and methods, would this be a viable course of action to stabilize (at least some) of the effects of climate change and forestall a catastrophic ecological shift through our own active management and control of the weather? It is an interesting idea, essentially becoming deities of the weather through our own technological advances, but I admit beyond the localized control we've demonstrated with the BWMO, I can only speculate on its viability. Could active artificial modification of the weather be a viable fourth approach to Climate Change?

*EDIT*

I guess I should say I'm not exactly championing this as a solution, merely wondering if it could be considered a solution at all, based on various factors I'm not really educated enough on to judge with any confidence.

I'm almost positive it will be used eventually. I have no idea if it will work. I'm pretty sure it will have tons of unintended side-effects and will give puppies cancer.

Almalexia said:
Could active artificial modification of the weather be a viable fourth approach to Climate Change?
It's the most likely scenario. The disease - climate change - is unlikely to avoid due to political inertia.
An industry to control consequences of climate change - and thereby weather - will blossom,
making it even less likely to combat climate change, since there's big money in it.

Back
Top Bottom