Post Difficult Questions Here

Users who are viewing this thread

It's always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this. And wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth. I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will ever really know. Seven billion of us now seem to feel that the idiot is mentally smeared, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be wrong. We may be trying to let a non-mentally smeared goulash smear go free, I don't know. Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare an idiot not mentally smeared unless it's SURE. We seven billion can't understand how you single smear are still so sure. Maybe you can tell us.

Big Bad Pent said:
But doesn't that contradict the notion that God grants us free will? Unless we have free will but our actions are somehow entirely meaningless.
religious people say it doesn't and I'm not competent in that.
Adorno said:
You can't just pretend stuff and ask me to prove it's not there  :smile:
I find burden of proof shifting a bit tedious, one can of course accept a principle like 'any positive claim that is not supported by good reasons is false' but that doesn't mean you can't give reasons when you're asked why a positive claim is false. I know no one had an intention to have a serious debate anyway but just wanted to make this general remark.

Does anyone know how to manage addictive/compulsive habits without completely quitting them? More specifically it's reading and gaming for me (maybe YouTube binges too a bit). The gaming I've pretty much given up on but I do love reading non-fiction and it would be nice to be able to enjoy a chapter or two of a good novel before I go to bed instead of reading for like 8hours a day until the book is done and isolating myself from almost everything else in life.

I guess you meant to say you love reading fiction, given that you go on to mention novels  :razz: Perhaps rather than reading just before bed, you could begin to read an hour or so before needing to go somewhere or do something. That would give you a firm deadline that you couldn't push back. Maybe in bed in the morning, on public transport if you use it, on a lunch break or while your dinner is in the oven? Providing, of course, that it didn't cause you to lose track of time.

I used to be like that with certain novels, couldn't bear to put them down until I'd read a massive chunk of them. I think I just kept doing that until I became jaded. It's especially a problem when I first find a new author that I really like.

Big Bad Pent said:
Does anyone know how to manage addictive/compulsive habits without completely quitting them? More specifically it's reading and gaming for me (maybe YouTube binges too a bit). The gaming I've pretty much given up on but I do love reading non-fiction and it would be nice to be able to enjoy a chapter or two of a good novel before I go to bed instead of reading for like 8hours a day until the book is done and isolating myself from almost everything else in life.
I don't think there is any consensus, but individual people will swear on various things from CBT, Jung, Freud, hypnosis, regression to straight up religion or occult. You're probably going to have to go with trial and error, but I would suggest leaving occult as the last resort.

Back
Top Bottom