Post delicious meals you made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Made a pasta sauce to bring for work. Basically finely minced onion with larger pieces of garlic and chili in it mixed with about two tablespoons of sour cream and a large teaspoon of Colman's yellow mustard. Awesomness! . . . . . Unless you're at the recieving end of my breath that is.

Also Cookie, remember that whiskey marinated cheese you were so enthusiastic about? Wanna guess what I've come up with now?

Exams will be done in 4 days. I bought myself a proper baking tray. So first thing to do is to go mature cheese hunting for my planned Gratin Dauphinois Mk.II with a side of garlic, chilli, pepper and salt spare ribs. Hope the pictures actually work this time.

Teofish said:
Made a pasta sauce to bring for work. Basically finely minced onion with larger pieces of garlic and chili in it mixed with about two tablespoons of sour cream and a large teaspoon of Colman's yellow mustard. Awesomness! . . . . . Unless you're at the recieving end of my breath that is.

Also Cookie, remember that whiskey marinated cheese you were so enthusiastic about? Wanna guess what I've come up with now?
I made a batch and haven't finished it yet. It's been my cold garnish for hot meals. The moment it melts... that aroma burst.

Whatever other magnificently crazy things you come up with, I want it.

You should try it on a pizza. Little pockets of überyummy amidst all the bland mozzarella. If you spread the cubes evenly with an equal amount of feta cheese it also creates a magnificent balance.

I bought well matured Edamer cheese and let it marinate for three weeks in a mix of aquavit and truffle oil. The only way I can describe the deliciousness is with onomatepoeticons from superhero comics. And the marinade itself is an awesome aromatic for sauces afterwards.

Teofish said:
You should try it on a pizza. Little pockets of überyummy amidst all the bland mozzarella. If you spread the cubes evenly with an equal amount of feta cheese it also creates a magnificent balance.

I bought well matured Edamer cheese and let it marinate for three weeks in a mix of aquavit and truffle oil. The only way I can describe the deliciousness is with onomatepoeticons from superhero comics. And the marinade itself is an awesome aromatic for sauces afterwards.
That is going into the recipe book for sure. Need to hunt for truffle oil though.

Teofish said:

You should make yourself an onion, Dijon, garlic and horseradish sandwich.

Made chimichangas today. They went down well. Have mostly avoided Mexican food thus far because 1) Tortillas. Burritos. Nachos. Enchiladas. Quesadila. AND LOT OF OTHER WORDS I DON'T UNDERSTAND AND KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN! and 2) Well, y'know... UK. Biggest curry-country outside of India and Pakistan. You want spicy food, you just make a curry. Mexican? We laugh at your attempts at spicyness!

So. I'm a pretty healthy eater. I eat fried eggs perhaps twice a month, and the only other thing I fry is samosas (see aforementioned Indian cuisine gloating) so whilst frying my chimichangas I decided to use the samosa template, rather than eggs. Not realising, of course, that flour tortillas don't need anywhere NEAR the amount of cooking as filo pastry. As a result, ended up with SLIGHTLY over-cooked chimichangas, but it still tasted good.

The Monterey Jack refused to melt (maybe I should have gone with slices, instead of pre-grated) but the combination of guacamole and soured cream was nice. In retrospect, it probably would have been just as good without the olives, but I like to include Greek food in as much as humanly possible, and if I'm going with Mexican mains and faux-Danish beer, why the hell NOT add a little Greek too?

Anyway, I suspect I shall make chimichangas again in the near future, but now I have the benefit of hindsight, I'll make some changes. Might experiment with tortilla types (used flour this time, but could try corn or wheat next time) and I'll try to get my hands on a broader range of spices. I might see if I can find some Mexican side-dish recipes, so I don't have to fall back on olives and chips (aka, steak fries).

But now, totally stuffed. Can't eat another thing. Thus, shall continue drinking beer.

I'd advise against the corn tortillas. When fried they become like extra brittle taco shells. Impossible to eat without both spilling all the filling in your lap, and impaling yourself in the mouth.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that one in mind.

Just FYI though, here in culture-land we tend to eat hot fried food with these things called knives and forks. They're sorta utensil-type things that stop us (or at least minimise the risk of) slopping food all of ourselves.

The mouth-impaling does not sound like a pleasant thing, though, so I'll not bother with corn tortillas.

Completely improvised dish: homemade cheese sauce with garlic, onion, chicken and peas with some pasta. Tastes alright, nothing to write home about though.

Does anyone know a good cheese to do cheese sauce ? I used an obscene amount of cheddar with this and it still didn't taste cheesy enough.

A combination of Emmenthaler, Edamer, White Cheddar and Parmigian should be perfect. There's also a Swedish cheese called Västerbottens who's pretty much a perfect combination of all these. But it might be hard as **** to come by.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Northern barbarian!
Fishless, ricket ridden, midlander!

"egg liqueur"
delicious and moist, once again. and once again I let my colleagues eat half of it before remembering pix.
G5Wf4.jpg

F-JDI.jpg

g2k7M.jpg

It's western 'Mushy-mushy' styled scrambled eggs with bacon bits and white cheddar. I should also probably get new plates. Presenting yellow scrambled eggs on a yellow dinner plate is nothing short of disgusting.

I'm not that experienced with the mush, so can someone tell me if I'm getting the right mush in my mush for the mush?

Look about right. Typical scrambled eggs found in the western USA tend to be a bit mushier/wetter because they add lots of water, oil, and often cook at a higher heat.

Still looks good nonetheless.

oh, and crème fraîche...
a whole bulb of (solo) garlic, a decently sized onion and 400 grams of meat made this a reasonably manly meal, and the yummy yellow pasta and fresh greens pleased my girly eye. win-win \o/
1MzUx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom