SP - General Possible to get pointy swords in the game ? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dr-Shinobi

88SMS.jpg

Might not fit the Era but was wondering if its possible since the perk tree have some perks that lifts forward these type of thingies :wink: Should have excellent stabbing (perhaps a flurry perk where you stab three times if you manage to do an combo with an cool backhanded animation) but lowered slash

Last edited:
I'm not a history buff, but weren't rapiers used primarily for dueling? I mean I guess you could get lucky and poke through an opponents weak points but most likely you'd be dead or have a broken weapon before that.

I'm not a history buff, but weren't rapiers used primarily for dueling? I mean I guess you could get lucky and poke through an opponents weak points but most likely you'd be dead or have a broken weapon before that.

Rapiers weren't really around until the 16th century. As it appears Calradia is much earlier in technology development (if its year parallels ours, then late 11th century before plate armor was even used), it doesn't seem like they'd be a good fit.

Rapiers weren't really around until the 16th century. As it appears Calradia is much earlier in technology development (if its year parallels ours, then late 11th century before plate armor was even used), it doesn't seem like they'd be a good fit.
From the context, it's even much sooner than that, something like 5th-7th century.
I really don't understand why they made it happen only 200 years before Warband, it's very obviously a much longer time, the obvious parallel is during/shortly after the Western Roman Empire collapse.

From the context, it's even much sooner than that, something like 5th-7th century.
I really don't understand why they made it happen only 200 years before Warband, it's very obviously a much longer time, the obvious parallel is during/shortly after the Western Roman Empire collapse.
oh so then its possible :grin: <3 i want the rapier for my duelist right now...only thing nearest i can get is the flyssa or kask....but not really close though :/ think there was something in the cwafting but think it was those. they could also be handy if they implement an *caught* piraty faction or merc like the zulu warriors :wink:

Really? I feel like all those big stone castles weren't really being built until after William the Conquerer built them up in the 11th century. Before then, a lot of the castles were just wood. That's true in UK at least, I'm not sure about other places.

I think its more of an amalgam of the whole early medieval period. The Battle of Pendraic as its described in the lore seems like its based on the Battle of Tuetoberg Forest from the time of Augustus, while Vlandia seems inspired by Norman culture of the 10th and 11th centuries.

I think its more of an amalgam of the whole early medieval period. The Battle of Pendraic as its described in the lore seems like its based on the Battle of Tuetoberg Forest from the time of Augustus, while Vlandia seems inspired by Norman culture of the 10th and 11th centuries.

Right, technology-wise, sieges like that weren't really happening until the 11th and 12th centuries as far as I know. Anyway in any case, it's definitely a lot earlier than the rapiers and guns of the Renaissance period. They would feel out of place considering we don't even get plate armor.

I see more the battle of Pendraic as a parallel of the Battle of Adrianople, which precipited the fall the Western Roman Empire.
I'd say Vlandia is rather the Frankish, filling the role of romanized barbarians who build up successor kingdom in the Western Empire (Francia especially). Though yeah, it's more of a 8th-9th century aspect than 5th.
Sturgia is obviously the pre-settling Norman, the whole Viking invasions thing.
Battania would be the Celtic tribes of Albion probably, though they could also be a somewhat out-of-era call to Gauls and the like.
Aserai are the Persians, and the Khuzait are the Huns, both which fall pretty much exactly in the "5-6th century" thing.
Right, technology-wise, sieges like that weren't really happening until the 11th and 12th centuries as far as I know. Anyway in any case, it's definitely a lot earlier than the rapiers and guns of the Renaissance period. They would feel out of place considering we don't even get plate armor.
Romans and even before that Greeks already had extremely advanced siege science. Siege towers were used by Alexander at Tyr, and Romans made extensive use of onagers and ballista. I don't think Bannerlord siegecraft is really different than what was at the time.

I see more the battle of Pendraic as a parallel of the Battle of Adrianople, which precipited the fall the Western Roman Empire.
I'd say Vlandia is rather the Frankish, filling the role of romanized barbarians who build up successor kingdom in the Western Empire (Francia especially). Though yeah, it's more of a 8th-9th century aspect than 5th.
Sturgia is obviously the pre-settling Norman, the whole Viking invasions thing.
Battania would be the Celtic tribes of Albion probably, though they could also be a somewhat out-of-era call to Gauls and the like.
Aserai are the Persians, and the Khuzait are the Huns, both which fall pretty much exactly in the "5-6th century" thing.

Pendraic I believe is based on the Varian's Disaster ( Battle of Teutoburg), the battle of Adrianople was against the ERE.

Vlandia I see as the beggining the Caroligian period.. Charlegmane, but Derthert no doubt is inspired by Phillip I of France
Sturgia I see it as the vikings in the, Varangians, culture in that region of the Rus.. I forgot that, Slavic? Idk... During the beggining of the Rurikids.
Battania no doubt is the earlier britons mixed in gauls and a bit of Dacia there ( The faulx infntry)
Aserai I see a mixed of Egypt and those in Arabs (Levantines states)
Khuzait, Idk why but I can only see them as the first Turkish people that invaded Anatolia, Seljuk Empire and the Sultarnate of the Rums.

All this, I think it's based on the new Calradia Continent.. which if you see it clearly and high above.. you can see it's clearly a facsimile of Anatolia

To be honest I found rapiers quite awful in WFAS. They seemed absolutely useless to me, since they had only one attack. In real life you would stab from different angles, up and down, which would be allmost impossible to block, but this kind of agility isn't really actionable with Mount&Blades fighting system and animations. It can allways be blocked by the same movement, you know what I mean? Moreover I can't really see any use for it (there are many other good dueling weapons) and it doesen't even fit Bannerlords rough time frame.

To OP: No thanks. That's a sword from the 1600s, maybe even 1700s. It would fit a pirate game better than it would fit Bannerlord's early medieval aesthetic. That sort of thing should be left to mods or a DLC set in a different time period (like WFAS).

Taleworlds' official devblogs about the setting and the cultures said that Bannerlord is set in a pastiche of the years 600-1100.
There are a couple of exceptions to this:
* Battania has falxes from the 100s, and oppida from the 100s BC.
* Vlandia have coat of plates from the late 1100s.

But otherwise, the game's aesthetic and even vague national borders are fairly consistent with that time period. After the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, around the year 600, the Byzantines managed to reconquer quite a bit of territory in the area of the former WRE, and had varying levels of control of "Roman" territory between 600-1100. That explains the existence of the Western Empire faction in Bannerlord.

So I think the 200 years gap in setting makes sense with Warband (although the geography between both game maps clearly doesn't match up).

To OP: No thanks. That's a sword from the 1600s, maybe even 1700s. It would fit a pirate game better than it would fit Bannerlord's early medieval aesthetic. That sort of thing should be left to mods or a DLC set in a different time period (like WFAS).
Agree but i wanted something fancier for the one hand fencer perk :wink:

Back
Top Bottom