Possible Simple Solution to Captain Mode Delaying Silliness: Overwhelming Odds Multiplier

Users who are viewing this thread

Zarthas

Knight at Arms
So there's two complaints that come up pretty regularly in Captain Mode:

1. Solo Rambo cav doing silly things like refusing to use their troops, and therefore not really contributing to the match if the teams are playing aggressively. (I can hear the Rambo cav players angrily typing already, hear me out) (If you're actually good at it, I'm not talking about you, chill out)

2. Cav or infantry delaying the end of the round by fleeing for about 3-4 minutes, possibly up to 20 minutes per game. If you're playing 3 games in a session, you could have watched a player riding a pony around aimlessly mostly by himself for about an hour.

There's lots of things you could do about these, and they've gotten better for sure. I think there's another simple solution though, using mechanics already mostly in game.

Overwhelming Odds Multiplier:
If a Team is outnumbered (in terms of total Unit Cost) at a rate of say 3 to 1, they get an Overwhelming Odds Multiplier to the rate at which they accrue Morale, probably just doubling the rate for simplicity.
The morale bar should probably blink or something to indicate this.
This works well thematically, as my 3 horsemen wouldn't be very happy just sitting in the woods waiting to be sent to die one at a time into a wall of 80 pikes.

This way, instead of watching a rambo cav faff about for 3 minutes per round, you just watch them faff for 1:30, which is much nicer. They won't have time to accrue as many kills for their precious K/D ratio, and will be disincentivized further from their absurd behavior, without anyone having to get banned or muted or anything else that makes people sad.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, maybe this multiplier would be halted if the remaining troops are contesting the flags at least periodically.

just a side note to those who like to waste everyone's time at the end... You're really annoying all your team mates more than the enemy, as soon as someone starts doing this, I'm just camping the flag with my team mates having boxing matches to kill time... Your whole team is sitting there watching you ride around like a bozo.. if your trying to troll the enemy it just doesn't work... We've won, we're just having a party at the flag waiting for you to get bored. It's super dumb, it just about your own team mates mostly and it's likely these days you will get a report for it, so I hope it was worth it

I would agree but then I would have a tough time pulling off the 20 v 1 clutches I have time to time. Maybe if there was a mmr minimum a player would have to have to allow for the better players who have a good chance to clutch to keep playing?

I would agree but then I would have a tough time pulling off the 20 v 1 clutches I have time to time. Maybe if there was a mmr minimum a player would have to have to allow for the better players who have a good chance to clutch to keep playing?
Those far and few between times someone does actually clutch is not worth the many many many times it's just some twat who can't even ride the horse in a straight line without bumping into stuff. It's just painful.

Those far and few between times someone does actually clutch is not worth the many many many times it's just some twat who can't even ride the horse in a straight line without bumping into stuff. It's just painful.
The clutch should be fought at the flag, if you are periodically in range of the flag it should stop the fast countdown of morale, hence my suggestion above

Then you'd better try to pull of a 20v1 before your team is wiped, not after.

Riding around as cav and picking off AI troops is also not necessarily a sign of skill with the current AI.

I don't feel embarrassed to say i usually play "rambo" when i play cavalry, the main reason is the AI that can't seems to know how to ride or attack, if you keep them on follow they bump on wall/tree quite often, also you can't just use the charge command as they will go all around the map and probably manage to get a kill or two.
So in my opinion until they fix the cavalry AI (it seems they are working on it), playing with just your captain is more usefull for your team, because if people learn to wait and take a position and don't rush from the spawn, a good cavarly player could take flags and kill enemy archers or just keep them busy to give a more favorable engagement for the rest of the team when it is time to push.

But why not reduce the round time to 5 min, even remove flags, so will all just take heavy infantry and shock troopers and rush the enemy team in a great melee blob at the center of the map.

Fair point with the cav AI, hope they fix that. At the same time the AI is also helpless against player controlled cavalry wich makes such engagements feel kind of cheated. (AI is also helpless against player controlled inf but in these cases it can at least bring numbers to bear because there the player can't just hit and run).

I don't feel embarrassed to say i usually play "rambo" when i play cavalry, the main reason is the AI that can't seems to know how to ride or attack, if you keep them on follow they bump on wall/tree quite often, also you can't just use the charge command as they will go all around the map and probably manage to get a kill or two.
So in my opinion until they fix the cavalry AI (it seems they are working on it), playing with just your captain is more usefull for your team, because if people learn to wait and take a position and don't rush from the spawn, a good cavarly player could take flags and kill enemy archers or just keep them busy to give a more favorable engagement for the rest of the team when it is time to push.

But why not reduce the round time to 5 min, even remove flags, so will all just take heavy infantry and shock troopers and rush the enemy team in a great melee blob at the center of the map.
Sound like you're green washing behaviour that is neither useful nor fits a 'teamplayer'.

The whole point is that some players are deliberatly abusing captain mode as an extended TDM and stalling the game. Go play TDM if you don't care about the whole point that captain mode is all about.

Once I stayed with a cav without teammates vs 2.5 enemy units and I killed them all.
What you are suggesting is to cut out a piece of gameplay that is already missing in captain mode.
Most of top players don't care about KD, it does not affect anything in the game.
Most of the time I see complains from people who are dying in the first minute of round waving into the enemy 1 by 1.

Sound like you're green washing behaviour that is neither useful nor fits a 'teamplayer'.

The whole point is that some players are deliberatly abusing captain mode as an extended TDM and stalling the game. Go play TDM if you don't care about the whole point that captain mode is all about.
So what is the "whole point of captain mode" for you?
taking all infantry because archers sucks (for people how don't know how to use them) and cavalry player are cancer, and than rush B flag fighting there for a 2min round, rinse and repeat?

My point is most of random/casual player you find if you queue solo, take infantry rush one flag (most of the time alone), get killed by the enemy because they where outnumbered, and then proceed to complain to team no one helped them for the rest of the round.
You have more than 10min for each round, you can use it wisely, let your teammates wear down the enemy with arrows or cavarly charges, you can eventualy wait for the last flag to get a favorable defence position.

I totally agree, something has to be done about these people. I've said it before aswell and came with ideas like if your horsemen are put into a hold this position command they will automatically charge within some time if you're to far away from them.

It has to be solved somehow because, as you say, some games will be delayed for 40-60 minutes because of 1 player running endlessly and very often they simply run untill they lose from moral. It's crazy.

Inappropriate language
So what is the "whole point of captain mode" for you?
taking all infantry because archers sucks (for people how don't know how to use them) and cavalry player are cancer, and than rush B flag fighting there for a 2min round, rinse and repeat?

My point is most of random/casual player you find if you queue solo, take infantry rush one flag (most of the time alone), get killed by the enemy because they where outnumbered, and then proceed to complain to team no one helped them for the rest of the round.
You have more than 10min for each round, you can use it wisely, let your teammates wear down the enemy with arrows or cavarly charges, you can eventualy wait for the last flag to get a favorable defence position.
My point is that ideally it should be played together. If not, then what solution do you see in letting the others die and then boring the **** out of everyone because you're the only one left, and to make matters worse you still have half your cavalry force waiting in reserve when your captain dies.

If you don't understand how annoying that is, I'm beginning to think that you might have a autist spectrum disorder.

In general, I agree, but still limiting the distance between the captain and his squad seems to me a better solution. In any case, any changes of this kind should be introduced after the cavalry bots become a significant force on the battlefield, otherwise the cavalry class will become unplayable at all.

Let me just say that this Cav Rambo isnt just a 'noob issue'. It's a common practice aningst each and every captain mode clan that plays any of the community events or games. You can't find clan without dedicated Rambo cav players. Yes. More than one. Why? Becouse that's by far the superior way to play Cav. Way more effective than any other way to use them. And believe me it's the way entire teams thinks. Not just the cav players themself. This is simple truth. You all proposing to restrict cav ramboing by some forced restrictions is an equivalent of naming ibuprofen a cure for cancer as it decreases the pain, right?
You wanna stop the Rambo make the devs fix the cav issues and create other viable ways for utilizing cav.
As of current game state, If you have a cab player who can literally kill half of enemy team themself it is their teammates fault they tend to die in first minute before said cav makes some of their kills to help and swing the odds.

Don't blame the people using it.
Blame what causes the behaviour.
It's natural for people to play in a style/using strategies that are arguably best/most effective.
This is simply how humans work.

This is why we had 6 2hnaders meta in previous patch. This is why people Rambo.

I totally agree, something has to be done about these people. I've said it before aswell and came with ideas like if your horsemen are put into a hold this position command they will automatically charge within some time if you're to far away from them.

It has to be solved somehow because, as you say, some games will be delayed for 40-60 minutes because of 1 player running endlessly and very often they simply run untill they lose from moral. It's crazy.
Until they improve the AI, they situation will not change, you are asking for people to not take cavarly. As i tried to explain before right now the AI could not be lead in battle with actual result, and you "solution" is quite easy to exploit, i just need to go back to them before the time run out and reposition them in the same spot or reposition them around the map as the match progress.

My point is that ideally it should be played together. If not, then what solution do you see in letting the others die and then boring the **** out of everyone because you're the only one left, and to make matters worse you still have half your cavalry force waiting in reserve when your captain dies.

If you don't understand how annoying that is, I'm beginning to think that you might have a autist spectrum disorder.
I don't know why you should resort to insult people when they don't share your opinion.
Want the team to all play together? Than a good cavalry player role is not to fight melee with you, it is to take flag, disturb they enemy archer, kill enemy cavalry, eventually cover your team archer retreat.

Maybe join my team the next time for some games and see how we play before going around making assumption on people mental health

Back
Top Bottom