Porting interior/exterior scene across mods

Users who are viewing this thread

McLovin174

Recruit
Good day everyone.

I have more of a technical question

Is it possible to replace castle scenes interior/exterior from one mod to another? For example i quite like Tevarin castle and it's village from the Floris mod and would like to replace Tevarin castle from Bannerpage with it. Is it possible and if it is how would you proceed to do so?

Thank you and sorry if I posted the question in on the wrong thread.
Cheers

Solution
Even one with experience would have issues locating the relevant files, don't worry.

The most simple way I can imagine it going would be to:
  1. Inside the origin mod (Floris), go into the scene inside edit mode
  2. Locate the scene props in question, highlight them to get their spr_*** id.
  3. Open scene_props.txt and ctrl-f for the prop name without the spr_***.
  4. On that line, there will be a mesh name.
  5. Using OpenBRF, open any Floris BRF and use the search feature to locate the mesh's original BRF.
  6. Copy over that. Repeat for any material or texture entries, as well as the .dds
  7. Add all those particular BRFs to the module.ini
  8. Copy the scene prop entry inside the destination mod's scene prop file.
    1. Thinking about...
In a perfect world it would be as easy as copying the desired scene over to the destination module and renaming it to override the target .sco

Unfortunately unless they both use nearly-Native, unmodified scene props lists, you would have to go through and replace nearly every prop by hand. Also, if they changed the way their entry points worked or are numbered, you would have to modify their entry numbers to match what your target module needs.

I do think that both are the above mods are pretty Native, so it is worth a shot. Just don't expect it to work for most mods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the scene props of both mods are from Native and there are no non-Native ones, then you are safe to replace the scene files; however, you would have to watch out for Entry Points since each may have different purpose across the mods, just as SupaNinjaMan said earlier.

Upvote 0
Honestly, it's more trouble than it might be worth.
  1. Transfer over relevant BRFs and textures.
  2. Create new prop entries for all the new scene props you are introducing
  3. Either:
    1. Hand replace all the now bugged scene props, with their new entry
    2. Use the code inside BladeED to find all the relevant scene prop entries and renumerate them to follow the newly update scene prop entries.
This is assuming .sco stores them using their id numbers and not their names, if it uses names it would be slightly easier, but knowing M&B like I do, I doubt they made it easy for us.

Upvote 0
OK so I asked the mod developer the same question and this is his response.

Question:
Good day everyone.

I have more of a technical question

Is it possible to replace castle scenes interior/exterior from one mod to another? For example i quite like Tevarin castle and it's village from the Floris mod and would like to replace Tevarin castle from Bannerpage with it. Is it possible and if it is how would you proceed to do so?

Love the mod best one out there in many aspects thank you for the amazing work.
Cheers

Response:
yes

check parties.txt to get location numbers

then go to SceneObj folder, names are very intuitive, copy the scene you want and paste it over scene you are replacing

lastly check scenes.txt and make sure that you transfer terrain too for the scene you have copied in step above

Nadam se da je to ok.

LP
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Is it this simple?

Upvote 0
yeah it wasnt that simple the mod uses custom files for the castle....

regarding the brfs i just cant seem to figure out which are relevant because the names do not imply if they are relevant or not

and more then anything I have no idea what I'm doing ?‍♂️

Upvote 0
Even one with experience would have issues locating the relevant files, don't worry.

The most simple way I can imagine it going would be to:
  1. Inside the origin mod (Floris), go into the scene inside edit mode
  2. Locate the scene props in question, highlight them to get their spr_*** id.
  3. Open scene_props.txt and ctrl-f for the prop name without the spr_***.
  4. On that line, there will be a mesh name.
  5. Using OpenBRF, open any Floris BRF and use the search feature to locate the mesh's original BRF.
  6. Copy over that. Repeat for any material or texture entries, as well as the .dds
  7. Add all those particular BRFs to the module.ini
  8. Copy the scene prop entry inside the destination mod's scene prop file.
    1. Thinking about it, it is 100% name based. So that added scene props in middle of the file don't break every scene. This should simplify it.
  9. Open the scene inside the destination mod, find any bugged scene props.
  10. Repeat ad nauseum.
This, obviously, is very, very, very tedious. You could optimize this with the module system, obviously.

Upvote 0
Solution
is there a program that one can use to edit scenes besides the ingame edit mode? or is the in game one the best?

Btw how do you rotate props?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom