POLL: The Empire.... DO we NEED three of them?

Does the Empire need a rework/rethink?

• No. the Empire is fine as it is.

• Adding different troop trees to the Empire is enough.

• An Ancient Greek style/inspired faction would be perfect!

• Get rid of one of the Empire factions in favour for something else

• Get rid of two of the empire factions in favour for something else

• Get rid of Empire completely?.... lol?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I answered: 'different troop trees'. But even that I think is too much. I'd rather have a couple of unique units for each Empire faction, as others have said. This would represent the culture of the lands they occupy and what auxiliaries would be available. So maybe:
  • Southern Empire - Horse archers, since they encounter the Khuzaits and Asserai a lot
  • Northern Empire - Shock infantry, because of all the Northern Barbarians in the region
  • Western Empire - Dunno, they already have heavy cavalry and crossbows. Maybe limit crossbows to the Western Empire only and make them more elite like the Vlandian version.

What would be really interesting is empire faction has different cultures settlements/villages on their borders. Different troops trees with auxilliary troops from the border cultures.
Snap! You read my mind and posted it (more clearly than I did!) at the same time!

What would be really interesting is empire faction has different cultures settlements/villages on their borders. Different troops trees with auxilliary troops from the border cultures.

The character Arzagos from the main questline talks about the Empire killing his culture. Perhaps these border cultures are just that.

I answered: 'different troop trees'. But even that I think is too much. I'd rather have a couple of unique units for each Empire faction, as others have said. This would represent the culture of the lands they occupy and what auxiliaries would be available. So maybe:

• Southern Empire - Horse archers, since they encounter the Khuzaits and Asserai a lot
  • Northern Empire - Shock infantry, because of all the Northern Barbarians in the region
  • Western Empire - Dunno, they already have heavy cavalry and crossbows. Maybe limit crossbows to the Western Empire only and make them more elite like the Vlandian version.

• Dislike this idea, The southern, Northern and Western parts of the Empire were recently one and the same.

Last edited:
To differentiate them in battle all you'd need to do is have one faction focus on training cavalry, one focus on training crossbowman and the other focus on menavliatons.

+1

Great ideas!

Simply put, the North, West and East Empire were once all one - how could you possibly explain one of them having a completely different culture from the others unless they were like the other nations in Bannerlord? So it makes it pointless, because they would just be like one of the other factions.
only completely different if instead of the empire having three branches instead one of those branches (north west or south) was replaced by a different and new faction (obviosly people wanting this are also wanting the lore to be changed so that this part of the empire wasnt originally part of the empire but instead was a kingdom they conquered (e.g greek style faction) we are t alking about if the empire needs to be so large that its split results in threee factions, obviously replacing one of them while not changing the lore makes no sense.

The Empire is fine, it reminds me of Ancient Rome and its factions

using this as an example, you think the borders on the opposite sides of the empire had the exact same troops? of course not. just because rome conquered gaul doesnt mean that all the gauls are now roman culturally, youd expect an army raised in conquered gaul would vary to an army raised in conquered egypt. similarly an army raised in conquered territory closer to scythia would also result in variations.

So people thinking to get rid of one of the empire factions would want this faction to either not have ever been a part of the empire culturally, or conquered by the empire and after the split kept thwir own culture (or something like this). alternatively people saying a troop rework is all that is needed are mostly saying they only want a small change to add SLIGHT changes to the troop trees which reflect their differing neighbours and combat styles they must need to adopt to fight different factions.

unless they were like the other nations in Bannerlord? So it makes it pointless, because they would just be like one of the other factions.
this doesnt make a whole load of sense at all. just because a faction isnt imperial doesnt make them similar to other factions in game. khuzait and battania are nothing alike. we arent talking abouth replacing a part of the empire with more of a already existing faction, we are talking about a new faction in itself that would obviously be written into the lore by the devs if they chose to

only completely different if instead of the empire having three branches instead one of those branches (north west or south) was replaced by a different and new faction (obviosly people wanting this are also wanting the lore to be changed so that this part of the empire wasnt originally part of the empire but instead was a kingdom they conquered (e.g greek style faction) we are t alking about if the empire needs to be so large that its split results in threee factions, obviously replacing one of them while not changing the lore makes no sense.

using this as an example, you think the borders on the opposite sides of the empire had the exact same troops? of course not. just because rome conquered gaul doesnt mean that all the gauls are now roman culturally, youd expect an army raised in conquered gaul would vary to an army raised in conquered egypt. similarly an army raised in conquered territory closer to scythia would also result in variations.

So people thinking to get rid of one of the empire factions would want this faction to either not have ever been a part of the empire culturally, or conquered by the empire and after the split kept thwir own culture (or something like this). alternatively people saying a troop rework is all that is needed are mostly saying they only want a small change to add SLIGHT changes to the troop trees which reflect their differing neighbours and combat styles they must need to adopt to fight different factions.

this doesnt make a whole load of sense at all. just because a faction isnt imperial doesnt make them similar to other factions in game. khuzait and battania are nothing alike. we arent talking abouth replacing a part of the empire with more of a already existing faction, we are talking about a new faction in itself that would obviously be written into the lore by the devs if they chose to
This guy gets it, they would be part of the empire, just like Carthage became part of the empire once conquered, do you think the troops and culture and everything may have been different in North Africa and its legions than say The norther Italians.

Well the split happened just recently. Up until a few years ago this was one Empire so there isn't really enough time for them to develop individuality. Anyways what we are seeing is not really 3 separate empires but more a civil war.
Cultural characteristic is not a symptom but cause of a splitup of realms :wink:

Cultural characteristic is not a symptom but cause of a splitup of realms :wink:
Also this, empire took land from natives, cultures mixed and matched = blend of cultures which is different than other empire native blends like ice cream cones from milk but many flavors

I can see them having different special troops to deal with their various immediate enemies. But the Empire only recently fractured and by story lore focus it makes sense that they are completely the same. There hasn't been enough time to differentiate militarily. The empire is like a what if the Roman empire fell during its most militarily organized state i.e Marian Reforms considering the 3 different empire lords are fighting for a specific aspect of the Roman Empire's culture. West is military focused, North being traditions of Senators being important and the South is literally just by god given right of emperor being kept in the same family line.

The character Arzagos from the main questline talks about the Empire killing his culture. Perhaps these border cultures are just that.

Yeah, he's from the Palaic people -- who now just fall under the Imperial umbrella now. They don't have a separate culture anymore. If you read the settlement descriptions in the encyclopedia, most of the Southern Empire villages are in Palaic lands.

It’s almost like they should use the time periods of rome to differentiate who they faced at the time West like in Caesar’s Gaul and Dacian campaigns fought similar warriors to battonians and used troop types and equipment to match the foe hence large plate shoulders pads for legionary in Dacia , pilum again Celtic shields etc make western rome legionary style with auxiliary. South empire would stay similar with more cav and archer focus like Byzantine to fight steppe nomads etc , while north would be the Greek inspired senate republic , with more focus on shield and spear (this is toughest one north hard to look give a focus point to)

So you expect the developers to rewrite the storyline and add even more factions and troops. What you are asking for should be a mod, not part of native.

You completely misunderstood what I was saying. North, South and West of the Empire are the equivalent of Italy...and mentioning Gaul and other regions is like Kuzait, Valandians etc. If you change, North, South, West empire factions then it will no longer be considered the Empire. Italy under the Roman Empire had different factions/families vying for power.

... we arent talking abouth replacing a part of the empire with more of a already existing faction, we are talking about a new faction in itself that would obviously be written into the lore by the devs if they chose to....
There is enough variety already with the current troop trees and factions, I really would prefer it if the developers didn't mess around with this as it works fine. Again what you are requesting/suggesting probably belongs as a mod not native.

The Empire (South, West, North) is divided into three,under a civil war - under people that have very different ideas on how that Empire should be run because the past Emperor is dead. I have no problems with the storyline or want to see any changes - same as the other 50% of the poll. 45% Would be happy just seeing light changes to troop trees. Which leaves 5% that want wild and unpopular changes that can happily be added as a mod.

TBH I think it is fine as it is. The Empire represents a late roman/byzantine Empire in a civil war, similar to the third century crisis of the Roman Empire.
There is no reason why the empire factions should have major cultural or military differences. That would destroy the civil war atmosphere.

The only thing I could imagine would be to add maybe one special troop tree to each faction.

TBH I think it is fine as it is. The Empire represents a late roman/byzantine Empire in a civil war, similar to the third century crisis of the Roman Empire.
There is no reason why the empire factions should have major cultural or military differences. That would destroy the civil war atmosphere.

The only thing I could imagine would be to add maybe one special troop tree to each faction.
These echos my opinion exactly on the matter. It should be a civil war. If each faction had a slightly better version of one of the unit trees then it would work.

1. southern empire has a better version of the palatine guard- due to the ties of the imperial family and the factions that are close to it.
2. Northern empire has a better version of the cataphracts because of the wealthy senate families and being near the east.
3. Western empire has a better version of the legionary due to the veterans that follow their commander.

These units would have their own unique armor that would reflect the standards of the faction in their armor. laral wreaths for the northern empire crowns for the south and military might for the west (centurion crests?).

This guy gets it, they would be part of the empire, just like Carthage became part of the empire once conquered, do you think the troops and culture and everything may have been different in North Africa and its legions than say The norther Italians.

I do not think that claim is very substantiated for anything till the late empire when Rome had firmly fractured into east and west and local proxy kingdoms and foederati had sprung up. Until then the legions seem to be trained and equipped in a pretty uniform way (for an ancient military) and equipped in a rather centralized fashion (government sanctioned workshops). So no, Gauls and Carthaginians would not be any different when recruited into the Roman army, they might be different because their legion was stationed in a region facing different enemies and their workshops and arsenals preferred a slightly different style than others.

Cultural differentiation would actually be more pronounced in the late empire because of regional self governance, than after recent conquest when Rome established their culture. In the late empire Romans went native as they lost touch with Rome and Italy, in the early Natives turned Roman to advance in the new social order. That is what we see.

That said as others put it the medieval Eastern Roman Empire is a better example, the cause of turmoil a civil war so there are two cases for more homogenity, not less. Auxillaries would be essentially empire factions hiring the other factions.

These echos my opinion exactly on the matter. It should be a civil war. If each faction had a slightly better version of one of the unit trees then it would work.

1. southern empire has a better version of the palatine guard- due to the ties of the imperial family and the factions that are close to it.
2. Northern empire has a better version of the cataphracts because of the wealthy senate families and being near the east.
3. Western empire has a better version of the legionary due to the veterans that follow their commander.

These units would have their own unique armor that would reflect the standards of the faction in their armor. laral wreaths for the northern empire crowns for the south and military might for the west (centurion crests?).

This is reasonable. It makes sense for the South to have the actual Palatine Guard for the emperors, etc.

Agreed about the laurel wreath for the North -- in fact the Empire dev blog says that Arenicos wore the laurel crown that was not a crown (probably because the Empire isn't supposed to have a crown.)

On the other hand, the existing empire_crown item is probably best suited for the Southern Empire.

I also think, in general, there should be ceremonial armor for the emperors/empresses because that kind of stuff looks rad. Maybe even ceremonial horse barding, too, like the Byzantine emperors had.

Back
Top Bottom