(Poll) Skills

Which of these skill do you never invest points into or put effort into raising on your character?

• Scouting

• Tactics

• Roguery

• Charm

• Leadership

• Trade

• Steward

• Medicine

• Engineering

• Undecided or N/A

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

I find myself not investing in engineering nor scouting. Companions fill this role rather well for me.

I neglect roguery, which probably lessens the quality of loot I’m seeing.

edit:
Engineering, specifically: maybe I would invest more in this, or prioritize getting an engineering companion earlier on, if siege AI wasn’t in such a broken state. Unlike warband, I’ve been in exceptionally few sieges over the far too many hours I’ve put in, maybe less than a dozen. With all but one of those sieges having massive problems with the AI’s path finding. Which is not so fun, so I just don’t invest in it.

Last edited:
Depends on whether I play death enabled or not. If yes, I try being a jack of all trades as companions mercanaries die way easily. I don't bother replacing them each time, instead use them as party leaders or governors. If death's disabled, I never invest in 3 other party roles apart of quartermaster.

Can only vote for 1 option? Ah, I read it wrong. Anyhow, that would probably be bow, since I hate using bows. I read it as "which skills do you value for your character" (tired), and already wrote a big post about that, so enjoy.

I like playing a balanced character and choosing my attributes and focus points accordingly. I usually invest in almost all skills. If I don't plan on having certain perks I won't put more attribute than necessary into a tree. For example, I only put 5 vigor because I don't need 7 vigor since I don't need the final combat perks.

Let me tell you how I make use of skills instead. I focus on getting perks that benefit my party (usually as party leader).

I like all of the vigor skills (up to the perks that give +HP to your soldiers. The best out of those 3 is definitely the one-handed tree, as it provides the best perks that help your party - can give party size bonus through the 250 perk, bonus experience, and most hp out of the 3). So if you want one vigor skill one-handed is best to go imo.

Out of the Control tree... If I was to go by what's strongest, imo that would be crossbow. I don't like using bows and I find that crossbows are strong since level 1, there is no need to struggle early game with the not-as-reliable bows. Crossbow also helps you get a TON of riding + crossbow skill rather quickly (unless they reduced that). But for my personal roleplaying style I prefer throwing weapons and playing as infantry, because I can get quite bored of doing the crossbow - run away on horse and solo everybody cheese.

Endurance... For Cavalry there is no reason not to get at least 100 points in for party movement speed bonus. Athletics I go towards the end, to try and reach all the free attributes and focus points it gives me (endurance, vigor and throwing focus point), since it's free experience. Same with smithing, but if I really feel like it I can take smithing to the final perk as well, for legendary weapons.

Cunning... I really like scouting, very good perks. Tactics I wish was less focused on simulation battles. I'll still level it until the 75 perk (+10 party size is good). Roguery is not really useful at the moment but I still level it a bit... I'm still hoping for a big bandit army perk. Still, it beats leveling trading, which I find very boring to do. And it provides some income through the +%loot, so I'm fine with it. I still love roguery, even as useless as it currently is. Give me big bandit party please!

Social... For charm I get at least the 50 perk, for 20% renown bonus in battles. 1 or 2 points are fine. Leadership is good, so I put more points into it. Trade... I personally don't like doing it anymore, but if I could bear it I would get the first perks to get more money for selling equipments and also workshop bonuses... eh, I'm happy with only the first perk at least, 15% less trade penalty for equipments. Too much work for my liking, I've traded enough.

Intelligence. Steward is a no brainer. I go up to 175. I get all the good perks and gourmet, double morale from food variety. It levels very easily as long as you keep your food variety up. And I make sure I never have to level it again because my companions can die and I most likely won't. Gimme gimme. 1 or 2 points in medicine are fine, I'd try to level it up to max if I had infinite attributes but I don't. But sometimes I might try to get my medicine up there more. I like playing with a lot of infantry so it could really fit me to raise medicine more, so yeah could do that. Engineering not so much, but if I do big medicine I might do it just for the sake of not wasting my attribute points and not leveling it, yet it's not likely to happen.

Always engineering. The few playthroughs I've put effort into leveling it, it always feels like it takes so long. Medicine kind of too as it feels like it takes long. I would love to see quests added that give experience for both outside the usual methods.

If there is a limit on poll options, then this poll is already skewed and prejudicial toward the ones the OP thinks are important, so what is the point.

Of those included, Engi and Roguery are my least invested in typically.

Smithing is a special case, since I would use it if it didn't feel like cheating but it's not there yet.

I usually do minimal charm and wish it had better mid level options, I assume eventually some won't only apply to governors but right now it's a disappointing skill and trade seems better for actual diplomatic options.

I chose trade but I also don't invest into engineering, although I plan to when medicine get's revised and INT built hero become more useful. As it is, only steward raises well and steward gives it's main bonuses from a companion just as well. Charm's effect is questionable to me, but I will raise it late game when I don't know where to spend a FP.

I like to make my MC the scout for some good leader only benefits, including Keen sight (with mounted patrols on leader) and uncanny insight. In my experience a 10 cunning MC will get 300+ skill pretty early in life (before old age range) and be able to make good use of it.
I think the first 2 medicine perks are a must have on MC, to heal you after battles. More would be good, but it's really slow to go higher :sad:
I like to get bow and riding to 250 too, although you could be fine with less.
Polearm is 'might as well' since I use it, but I can be fine with zero skill too
Tactics is good since I have cunning, but not a must have. Roguery even more so, 'might as well' though.
Leadership is really good, but because it takes so long to get the very high levels, I just use the 5fp and am happy if it gets over 150 someday.

Smithing can be done on clan members but I have done it on MC before. I don't usually do much smithing because II almost never wait so I have no stamina.

The combat related skills would get more value if the MC "captain" perks would be actually applied to the party and not only if the MC get a "sergant" role inside a army. Same goes for the govenour perks. There they can make it so that if you have more towns without a govenour, the Player has to choose which fief he will govern. For the other fiefs he has to find govenours of course.
I find that many skills unlocks perks which the player can only use to 50 or zero percent cause of the circumstances. (govenour perks only like +10 loyalty are a total waste for example)

Scouting - must have
Tactics - must have
Roguery - only 1 point (for "Two Faced")
Charm - must have
Leadership - must have
Trade - only 1 point (for "Market Dealer")
Steward - must have
Medicine - only 1 point (for "Preventive Medicine" and "Walk it Off")
Engineering - no need

Last edited:
Scouting: Companion can do that for me.
Medicine: Companion can do that for me.
Engineering: Companion can do that for me.
Steward: Brother can do that for me.
I dont care tactics, roguery and trading. I only improve charm, leadership and combat skills on my character.

I chose trade but I also don't invest into engineering, although I plan to when medicine get's revised and INT built hero become more useful. As it is, only steward raises well and steward gives it's main bonuses from a companion just as well. Charm's effect is questionable to me, but I will raise it late game when I don't know where to spend a FP.

I like to make my MC the scout for some good leader only benefits, including Keen sight (with mounted patrols on leader) and uncanny insight. In my experience a 10 cunning MC will get 300+ skill pretty early in life (before old age range) and be able to make good use of it.
I think the first 2 medicine perks are a must have on MC, to heal you after battles. More would be good, but it's really slow to go higher :sad:
I like to get bow and riding to 250 too, although you could be fine with less.
Polearm is 'might as well' since I use it, but I can be fine with zero skill too
Tactics is good since I have cunning, but not a must have. Roguery even more so, 'might as well' though.
Leadership is really good, but because it takes so long to get the very high levels, I just use the 5fp and am happy if it gets over 150 someday.

Smithing can be done on clan members but I have done it on MC before. I don't usually do much smithing because II almost never wait so I have no stamina.
I don't know how long I could handle playing without the renown-printing perk at 125 Trade. If there was a way to level trade for a companion in my party (The only way seems to be to send them off on a caravan) I would never spend the focus on myself.

Trade first. always.

I get my leadership up to the point where I can upgrade bandits (easy enough when you keep a clan army intact permanently)
I get my medicine up to 25 before hiring a companion for the personal 30% health recovery perk.
I get my riding and archery up enough to use noble bows and ride good horses

Charm, tactics, roguery jus seem to happen - especially now with improvements to charm.

Otherwise I'm looking to have a scout that can find horses for me.
A companion that can be my nurse

I tend to raise my sister up as an engineer - she's not worth much else.

whoops, I glossed over 'never'.

steward is always my main focus if it's not a smith or warrior build (guess young'uns call it 'roleplaying', idk) because it's useful in all aspects of the game as a lord or king. rest of my focus is mostly social and cunning, except scouting and trade, for which companions are useful.

I've (mostly) never touched:
Engineering: I don't see the point, given the state of the sieges and the fact I can siege most empty cities and castles with impunity already.
Smithing: Too much micromanagement involvement, too broken.
Medicine: Raises far too slow, easier to find a medicine-trained companion and use him as a surgeon instead.
Roguery: I don't even know why that one would exist as it is now.
The rest I've probably dabbled in with most characters. Engineering is my top pick as for skills I never raise.

Back
Top Bottom