POLL: Should players be able to disable the aging mechanic?

Should players be able to turn off aging?

• YES! I don't like it.

Votes: 79 11.5%
  • YES! The game should have options to emulate the legacy titles if the user desires.

Votes: 365 53.2%
  • NO! The game was designed this way on purpose.

Votes: 175 25.5%
  • NO! I like it.

Votes: 67 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Everyone ages. NPC's age. The player not aging is terribly unfair and also unimmersive.
...and NPCs could be exiled while players could not. The player isn't bound by AI scripting. The player can use cheat codes. M&B has always been able to be canted in the player's favor. You can change difficulty levels. You can turn off death by battle. Every other M&B didn't force players to age and die.

Why do you care what another player does with their single player experience? Honestly, all the people voting 'no' are only insisting that they don't want other players to be able to play in the 'sandbox' the way they want.

Why would we care if something is fair to NPCs? They don't have lives, they aren't scared of dying of old age. And if they were... should we die of old age just to satisfy them!? I just had to comment on that idea, as it was amazingly stupid.

Fairness only matters in terms of challenge for the player.

I hope you are right and it is indeed easy, but I'm afraid it is a core mechanic built in the game. You see, every single AI character in the campaign is subject to dying and being replaced, if I understood correctly, so probably "turning it off" is not as simple as one could think.
What could be simpler, however, is deactivating the feature for the single PC via a sort of a "cheat" line inserted somewhere in the script (I don't really know it's mere speculation), which could be invisible in game or even a modded in trait the player can acquire
You might need to change more than one variable, in that case. The only issue I can see is if clans keep having more children, you'd need to turn that off too.

Probably you can just turn it off for the player. But we lack access to the code for that.

It does seem like a very interesting concept and if done correctly (for example your heir inheriting your skills, but starting from lvl1). Once again I think Mount and Blade is all about the freedom of choice and thus the option of turning it off should be there.

It does seem like a very interesting concept and if done correctly (for example your heir inheriting your skills, but starting from lvl1). Once again I think Mount and Blade is all about the freedom of choice and thus the option of turning it off should be there.

Exactly my words with that part about that option being there. MAKE AGING OPTIONAL
They said, you can play the way you want to play my ass, you can't play it the way you want it if They won't let you.

Campaign pretty much ends before you reach middle age with the way it is now :grin: so currently not a problem.

Would like the choice of disabling though - levelling atm takes a huge amount of time, and losing/having to do it again is a pain.

Why would we care if something is fair to NPCs? They don't have lives, they aren't scared of dying of old age. And if they were... should we die of old age just to satisfy them!? I just had to comment on that idea, as it was amazingly stupid.

Fairness only matters in terms of challenge for the player.

You might need to change more than one variable, in that case. The only issue I can see is if clans keep having more children, you'd need to turn that off too.

Probably you can just turn it off for the player. But we lack access to the code for that.

Gotcha. All we can do is wait till we have the tools to truly start doing something meaningful, in any case.

How about an option for "No, but I want a way to be able to SLOW the aging process", because that is my choice. Or an option for "Able to turn it off, AND slow it down" so everyone can play the way they want.

Games should have options and the more options the better.

Just what I wanted, to be stressed into playing because of time restraints, this is a terrible idea along with the RPG garbage for your companions. This and other features have taken more options away from the player.

Just what I wanted, to be stressed into playing because of time restraints, this is a terrible idea along with the RPG garbage for your companions. This and other features have taken more options away from the player.
Yeah...and some people are okay with telling you how you should be able to play the game you've purchased. Options are always nice.

At the current ageing rate, even if the game gets balanced so one faction never dominates the map without player intervention, 95%+ of players will never play a campaign long enough see any of their children come of age anyways. This half-assed heir/dynasty/ageing system might as well be scrapped in the base game.

And less than 1% of the playerbase will ever die of old age in a playthrough. It'd take 200+ hours if you were to play legitimately. The last 5 posts are troll as hell.

Last edited:
At the current ageing rate, even if the game gets balanced so one faction never dominates the map without player intervention, 95%+ of players will never play a campaign long enough see any of their children come of age anyways. This half-assed heir/dynasty/ageing system might as well be scrapped in the base game.

And less than 1% of the playerbase will ever die of old age in a playthrough. It'd take 200+ hours if you were to play legitimately. The last 5 posts are troll as hell.
Which 5?

Also, I still have some save games of playthroughs I never finished in Warband. Literally walking around, doing as many companion quests, helping lords, etc., that I can. I can take all the time I want and see everything I can that playthrough. No rush, no life expectancy to worry about. Like every other M&B game, save this newest release.

What exactly is ageing and how does it work? You start at 30 and will age one year for every 80 days played, correct? And when you die of old age, say at 60 or so, it will be after, I guess, 30-50 hours into one campaign? Does the character also age visually and do NPCs age and die as well?
What happens then? Will another character be created randomly with random or "inherited" stats and level, if no heir is present? When you do have kids that are of age they will have sort of your looks and skills I assume?
If this is the case I do not even know if an option is needed, as most players indeed will never come that far, and will be very powerful by then regardless of how they played. In that case breaking up that treadmill with character death, might be welcome for some players.
I get that this system somewhat sucks for players that design a character and want them unchanged, but, you should ask yourself if you will actually play so long like, say 15-20 years so that you will actually notice an effect when your character looks older.
An obvious workaround would be to have the players start at an age of their choosing, if that isn't already the case, although I have not seen it yet.

What exactly is ageing and how does it work? You start at 30 and will age one year for every 80 days played, correct? And when you die of old age, say at 60 or so, it will be after, I guess, 30-50 hours into one campaign? Does the character also age visually and do NPCs age and die as well?
What happens then? Will another character be created randomly with random or "inherited" stats and level, if no heir is present? When you do have kids that are of age they will have sort of your looks and skills I assume?
If this is the case I do not even know if an option is needed, as most players indeed will never come that far, and will be very powerful by then regardless of how they played. In that case breaking up that treadmill with character death, might be welcome for some players.
I get that this system somewhat sucks for players that design a character and want them unchanged, but, you should ask yourself if you will actually play so long like, say 15-20 years so that you will actually notice an effect when your character looks older.
An obvious workaround would be to have the players start at an age of their choosing, if that isn't already the case, although I have not seen it yet.
Regardless, one camp of players is already enjoying the aging mechanic, and gets to play the game they want. COOL! I'm glad they enjoy the new mechanic. They are getting the game they wanted.

I take my time with playthroughs. Never really wanted to make a family in the M&B games. This new mechanic doesn't offer me much, but it has imposed new limitations on my playthroughs.

Which 5?

Also, I still have some save games of playthroughs I never finished in Warband. Literally walking around, doing as many companion quests, helping lords, etc., that I can. I can take all the time I want and see everything I can that playthrough. No rush, no life expectancy to worry about. Like every other M&B game, save this newest release.

I've personally never finished a warband or warband mod playthrough and I've never spent more than 50 hours on a single warband/mod campaign.....
For 99%+ of players there is no rush as they will never play a campaign long enough to die of old age at bannerlord's current ageing rate, but if you really feel rushed I would agree for an option to turn off death by old age which I'm sure modders will implement if TW does not...

Back
Top Bottom