POLL: Should players be able to disable the aging mechanic?

Should players be able to turn off aging?

• YES! I don't like it.

Votes: 79 11.5%
  • YES! The game should have options to emulate the legacy titles if the user desires.

Votes: 365 53.2%
  • NO! The game was designed this way on purpose.

Votes: 175 25.5%
  • NO! I like it.

Votes: 67 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Although having as many options to tweak your gameplay as possible is always a good thing, I don't really know is thats possible at all in this case. I mean it's not like the autoblock option discussed in other threads. The ageing system, death system and inheritance one is pretty much in the game core and I don't really know if it's possible to change that... Don't get me wrong but I prefer the devs to focus on fixing bugs and adding the missing/halfly-done features atm.
Personally this features is something I was missing from warband, it brings more realism and inmersion in the world plus it feels a bit like Crusader Kings games (which i love) in terms of having a changing world that may please you sometimes or may bring you a few headeches (dying unexpectedly in battle and having to play as an unprepared heir with all that includes). I don't know i think it can bring a lot of dynamism into your gameplay

See, I think automatic blocking should be available for single player. However, that is an actual combat mechanic. Directional blocking is tied to the animations, the physics, and combat balancing. Things people expected and enjoyed from the Mount & Blade games. One can learn to manually block. I can't learn how to not age or die of old age.

One is tied to a skill the player can proactively develop, the other is a limit and detriment that can't be avoided. Sure, it might add a little more realism to the game, but so would permanent injuries, slow healing, disease, etc..

If I want to create and level up a character while exploring the entirety of the kingdom, having mandatory time limits for the character I've invested in and am attached to does not improve my experience at all. I wanted another Mount & Blade, not a Crusader Kings game.

See, I think automatic blocking should be available for single player. However, that is an actual combat mechanic. Directional blocking is tied to the animations, the physics, and combat balancing. Things people expected and enjoyed from the Mount & Blade games. One can learn to manually block. I can't learn how to not age or die of old age.

One is tied to a skill the player can proactively develop, the other is a limit and detriment that can't be avoided. Sure, it might add a little more realism to the game, but so would permanent injuries, slow healing, disease, etc..

If I want to create and level up a character while exploring the entirety of the kingdom, having mandatory time limits for the character I've invested in and am attached to does not improve my experience at all. I wanted another Mount & Blade, not a Crusader Kings game.

Yes i get your point. What i wanted to say with the autoblock is that putting an option to able/disable would not require a change on the core game, but adding an option to disable/enable ageing might be.

Edit: Well now that I think of it maybe it's not the case, maybe just capping the age like they did to the enterprises in the new patch might do the trick. With that option plus the "don't die" one that disables dying in battles might work

What i like to see again is to be able to configure my character at the start so he already looks aged. Later in the game he can start out younger and then at a propriate age reaches the way i designed him to look at a certain age.
That is also so when i copy the configuration to multiplayer, he already looks old.

What i like to see again is to be able to configure my character at the start so he already looks aged. Later in the game he can start out younger and then at a propriate age reaches the way i designed him to look at a certain age.
That is also so when i copy the configuration to multiplayer, he already looks old.
Yeah...I could have sworn in some of the preview videos there was an age slider in the character creator. ...and I think I saw a body weight/size slider as well?

Yeah...I could have sworn in some of the preview videos there was an age slider in the character creator. ...and I think I saw a body weight/size slider as well?
Don't remember the age slider but the body weight was in fact in a video they made in gamescome, which means it might be a feature thats planned to be implemented but it's not currently in the EA

I hope you are right and it is indeed easy, but I'm afraid it is a core mechanic built in the game. You see, every single AI character in the campaign is subject to dying and being replaced, if I understood correctly, so probably "turning it off" is not as simple as one could think.
What could be simpler, however, is deactivating the feature for the single PC via a sort of a "cheat" line inserted somewhere in the script (I don't really know it's mere speculation), which could be invisible in game or even a modded in trait the player can acquire

No, unfortunately it's not really easy to turn off aging at the moment, according to what Callum answered on the modding thread I have mentioned previously in this thread. But this is subject to change, so there's hope.
My problem with aging is, it doesn't really suit in a game with a time span this short. Comparatively, it's much shorter than CK2 or Total War. We don't have several features that are present in the aforementioned games precisely for this reason. A few examples:

1) Culture won't change if a settlement is taken by another faction, no matter for how long they 're gonna hold it for

2) We won't have any technological advances over time. No plate armours, halberds or arquebuses will kick in after some time, implying that the focus of the game is centered at that limited period of time

3)Even though we do have sieges and are technically able to starve a settlement instead of assaulting it, I never see this feature being put into use. It takes less than a week to reach anywhere on the map, so assuming there is a rescue force coming to help, chances are it's gonna be there to break the siege. Although I believe this could be somewhat easily fixed by considerably reducing the granary storage and/or increase food consumption

There's also the issue with the rate characters will be dying. It will probably be challenging to keep up the replacements with the following generations. Will we have regents? I doubt

That said...I don't know about you all, but I like to play mainly historical/fantasy mods, where there's a storyline and the specific characters of that time in history/fantasy lore. I find very enjoyable to play in a world populated with all those characters I am familiar with; but not much with the following generations, as they're all random and not part of the lore. It will be amazing to play a LOTR mod and battle side by Faramir, Gimli and others, but if they are all dead, I see no point to carry on. Ironically, I don't care if my character would eventually die, because I am the player, more like an observant who is not originally part of lore - even if I will be the character who will most actively shape the world.
I will definitely try the aging/heir/death system during my vanilla play as soon as I can. A lot of effort is being put into creating a solid lore into Bannerlord, but we're not quite there yet, so I don't really care much about the characters.

That said...I don't know about you all, but I like to play mainly historical/fantasy mods, where there's a storyline and the specific characters of that time in history/fantasy lore. I find very enjoyable to play in a world populated with all those characters I am familiar with; but not much with the following generations, as they're all random and not part of the lore. It will be amazing to play a LOTR mod and battle side by Faramir, Gimli and others, but if they are all dead, I see no point to carry on. Ironically, I don't care if my character would eventually die, because I am the player, more like an observant who is not originally part of lore - even if I will be the character who will most actively shape the world.
I will definitely try the aging/heir/death system during my vanilla play as soon as I can. A lot of effort is being put into creating a solid lore into Bannerlord, but we're not quite there yet, so I don't really care much about the characters.

Of course, the Game of Thrones mods for Warband were bad precisely because there was no ageing and death system.

I agree with everything you have said and that last one in particular is an excellent point. It's going to take away so much from some of the best mods we all loved so much in WB, particularly those like LOTR and Warsword Conquest, for example, which all have very distinctive and iconic characrters who are going to end up lost pretty rapidly unless modders find a way around this horrible (IMO of course) mechanic :sad:
Moreover can you imagine Noldor and Vampires dying of old age? o_O

No, unfortunately it's not really easy to turn off aging at the moment, according to what Callum answered on the modding thread I have mentioned previously in this thread. But this is subject to change, so there's hope.
My problem with aging is, it doesn't really suit in a game with a time span this short. Comparatively, it's much shorter than CK2 or Total War. We don't have several features that are present in the aforementioned games precisely for this reason. A few examples:

1) Culture won't change if a settlement is taken by another faction, no matter for how long they 're gonna hold it for

2) We won't have any technological advances over time. No plate armours, halberds or arquebuses will kick in after some time, implying that the focus of the game is centered at that limited period of time

3)Even though we do have sieges and are technically able to starve a settlement instead of assaulting it, I never see this feature being put into use. It takes less than a week to reach anywhere on the map, so assuming there is a rescue force coming to help, chances are it's gonna be there to break the siege. Although I believe this could be somewhat easily fixed by considerably reducing the granary storage and/or increase food consumption

There's also the issue with the rate characters will be dying. It will probably be challenging to keep up the replacements with the following generations. Will we have regents? I doubt

Also, do we even know what the life expectancy is? What if characters regularly kick it around 55 or 60? Starting at 30, you've already lived a long life if it's anything like our 1100 AD.

I don't really have much of an issue with ageing but I have an issue with how quickly it happens.
Right now approximately 30 days make one full year. I'd much rather see an option to increase it. I'd love to play on "realistic mode" and have it set to 365 days. Also, that way the seasons would actually take longer and not end in just a few in-game weeks. I'd also like to choose the starting age.

I can also see how it might become an issue for modders and their total conversions. There are plenty of mods that try to overhaul the world of the game like Game of Thrones mods and having the old characters die quite quickly of the old age might be an issue.

This isn't even a question of should there be aging or not, because both options can be made available. This is a question of should people be able to decide for themselves. In general I believe the more options there are the better. If people want to age, let them. If people don't want to age, let them be immortal.

Alright, I decided to start a poll. I've been waiting a sequel not too long after I'd played the hell out of Warband back in the late 2000s. A decade plus of waiting. I was wanting bigger, better, prettier M&B. So far, that seems to be what I got, but with the unwanted and unavoidable addition of aging and character death.

I did not want this. I did not ask for this. Is there any way players can have the Mount & Blade experience without this new mechanic forced down our throats? I'm not saying remove the feature, only just to give us the option to disable it if we want to enjoy this game the same way players have been able to enjoy every previous Mount & Blade game.

What do other forum users here think? I personally think options are always a good thing. If the game is going to be a 'sandbox,' let us tweak the world and it's rules to our liking, or at least to the extent to make it more like the previous titles that led us to this point.
Ask the modding community to make you a mod to disable it?

The possibility to just scale time might honestly be perfect, like in the Sims, as someone brought up earlier. Happy with your character and ready for a new generation? Crank that time scale multiplicator all the way up. Want to spend more time just doing nothing in particular? Scale it down so far you'll never realistically reach the limit.
An adjustable multiplicator to how fast the years pass feels like the smoothest way to find a compromise between the possible merits and downsides of this mechanic.
I really hope either Devs or modders will find a way to adjust how long a year will be

That would be fine with me too, don't assume
Your assumption is that they were going for realism, but they hadn't incorporated those other elements. Every other M&B hasn't had this feature. You assume this game isn't for the fans of every other M&B. Funny, TW hasn't said any such thing.

Back
Top Bottom