POLL: How are people liking the 1.8.0 Beta?

How are you liking the 1.8.0 Beta?

• It is a dream come true that has massively improved my experience

• It exceeded expectations

• Some good & some bad

• It was a waste of time that can't be played with the mods I like

• It actively made the game worse

• I like turtles

• For some insane reason, I hate turtles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

So on bannerlord if you went into any battle and as soon as you click the mouse to attack you had a 3 second screen freeze you would be grateful if was fixed . Come on man really ? Yes in bannerlord that should be the minimum requirement . But the question was is 1.8 a good patch for me yes . Now 1.7 was for me the worst patch i could play the game it was that bad. I think you were out of line there bud.1.7.0
1.7.0 was bad? You played earlier versions? Bannerlod is getting better and better!

Surely a step forward but a small one, but I didn´t really expect more. There is no huge surprise update coming in the future that will really have an impact. TW will continue to add the last missing stuff from their so called "roadmap", introduce a few new game breaking bugs with the next new betas and that´s it. So the same as "always". All the annoying/non working stuff doesn´t seems to get fixed so. I just wait for the final release and then for the big mods that will make a good game out of Bannerlord.
Well I'm not sure about that. If the full doomer blackpill scenario were the case, then they'd have released it already for those sweet sweet console bux. At least SOMEBODY at TW realizes they've got a turd on their hands, even if they don't know how to wash it off or how long that would take.
I don´t expect TW to really fix the broken economy, campaign AI or battle AI, useless traits, useless relations, useless influence or other important stuff that is not really working since 2 years. But modders will do. But I have some hope left that TW will at least try to improve some of this stuff.
Unfortunately most of what's really broken appears to be hardcoded in. Traits, for instance, is a total mess and - though Working Traits Mod (when it was active) was able to give text line report of when your trait XP changed - they weren't able to affect how you got Valor XP among other things.
Most of the faith in modders to fix these issues is unwarranted. Most of them don't touch these systems. The ones that do usually don't keep their mods updated for very long. The main exception is RBM and battle AI.
RBM and Battle AI, from what I understand, run into brick walls trying to modify certain behavior. For instance, the thing where spearmen immediately ditch their spears in melee combat is mega-hardcoded so the only way to stop that behavior is to REMOVE all 1H weapons from them.
This is peak comedy, not as in it's not true but the fact that a game released in 2020 is harder to mod than one from 2008 is pretty crazy, not to mention that modding tools exist for that simple reason of making modding BL easier than WB.
It appears to be on purpose, at least partly. There is evidence that the dev team hates being shown up by modders and intentionally makes large sections of the code untouchable. Worse case scenario: this is a money-making DLC thing in addition to an ego thing.
beside the defection there is also:
OOOOF
btw how many more threads about all the not working things in 1.8.0 can we get or is this going to be the last one?
Yeah sorry I just couldn't find a good roundup thread. Too many posts about specific issues... Or people's unrealistic dreams of features to be implemented in the future.
shieldwall has been fixed on 1.6.4 already.
Has it? When was the last time somebody tested?

Has it? When was the last time somebody tested?
sorry, my wording wasnt precise enough. it's working since 1.6.4. everyone actually playing the game on any version since then could tell you that. so i dont know when the last time it has been tested. maybe just right now? it's working and people just use it you know.

Yeah sorry I just couldn't find a good roundup thread. Too many posts about specific issues... Or people's unrealistic dreams of features to be implemented in the future.
no worries. i was just wondering because you where surprised about the defection even tho you responded in a lot of threads where excactly that defection and other things mentioned has been a topic just before. nevermind tho, you can find the roundup thread here: Patch 1.8.0 thread its just 40 pages :iamamoron:
In addition, you can also just look into the bug report/issue threads

It appears to be on purpose, at least partly. There is evidence that the dev team hates being shown up by modders and intentionally makes large sections of the code untouchable. Worse case scenario: this is a money-making DLC thing in addition to an ego thing.
I really don't think it would be that I'd say it's more that they show a lot less care to the modding tools and modding in general since they seem to have another project in the works plus what is probably gonna be a console edition for BL, so I don't think it has much to do with an overinflated ego it probably has more to do that they do focus on a lot of thongs just not many of the things the community wants.

Considering my favorite mod "serve as a soldier" broke with this update I have to pass. I just can't play vanilla Bannerlord without that mod. Vanilla is way too bland.

This is peak comedy, not as in it's not true but the fact that a game released in 2020 is harder to mod than one from 2008 is pretty crazy, not to mention that modding tools exist for that simple reason of making modding BL easier than WB.
Oh no, they didn't make it harder on purpose. I'm pretty sure by industry standards, Bannerlord is more mod-friendly. But by giving players way more powerful tools and access, you basically need an education or professional experience in this **** to make effective use of it. I think @Kentucky 『 HEIGUI 』 James made that point in a bunch of other places elsewhere but bouncing between WB modding and BL modding, you can see for yourself how that latter is way more difficult.

I had to start learning C# just for BL tweaking, not even real modding, and even then it is hilariously easy to **** up all kinds of **** by making very simple mistakes or even just oversights.

Warband had (AIUI) large sections of untouchable code as well. That was part of what happened with the big update to WB around the time of VC bricking all the mods that had been developed up to that point, devs changed something to support features in VC.

To be fair, in general you cant just expose all the code to be edited by modders, because only hardcoded stuff can run fast. If you want to optimize something, hardcoding it (i.e. compiling it in C++ rather than an editable language like lua) will make it run over 10 times faster. This is why the base mechanics are rarely moddable in games.

However in bannerlord the majoriy of stuff people want to edit is in C#, and the only restrictions they have are self-imposed. This isn't because they hate modders, its to protect against their own staff who might accidentally mess up code in different areas. The priority of a big developer is to finish the game, not to cater to modders.

What evidence?

Oh no, they didn't make it harder on purpose. I'm pretty sure by industry standards, Bannerlord is more mod-friendly. But by giving players way more powerful tools and access, you basically need an education or professional experience in this **** to make effective use of it. I think @Kentucky 『 HEIGUI 』 James made that point in a bunch of other places elsewhere but bouncing between WB modding and BL modding, you can see for yourself how that latter is way more difficult.

I had to start learning C# just for BL tweaking, not even real modding, and even then it is hilariously easy to **** up all kinds of **** by making very simple mistakes or even just oversights
Yeah I don't really think it was on purpose but it is still pretty annoying at best and downright infuriating at worst when you screw up, it makes you really think on how all those bugs get left in the game honestly.

I'm waiting for the game to become really fun. With a more fun environment, a more complete 4X strategy with real diplomatic and trade options, real RP relations with more elaborate NPcs... Everything that should make a fun game... But, nothing new in 1.8 .0.
They don't want to understand that their strategic 4x simulation lacks too many options to be fun, That's a shame.

I will not answer the questionnaires because there is not the right entry.

Are they like "Electronic Arts", in a permanent management crisis? Or do they plan to "live" on future addons? A bit like the "Sims", a nice commercial scam! I tried a few mods... It crashes, it's unbalanced, it's sometimes even unplayable, it just amuses little children who aren't too demanding...

This game is a shame, really.

If they continue like this,TW have no future.

The basic problem is :
- a "big map" and "poor strategic gameplay",
- "a lack of Role Play and Lore to give meaning to the player's efforts", we want to play, not "work", lol
- a "lack of diplomacy",
- a "lack of options for trade and impact on the overall strategy",
- a lack of variations and possibilities to better control the future of our city / kingdom,

The 4x mechanic is bad or strange or wrong. I don't know.

or more accurately, it's not a true 4x. It's just... strange and sorely lacking in possibilities (strategic, economic, diplomatic, spy system, NPC / player interaction) to make it really fun. Marriages have almost no strategic impact. In short, it's very boring.

In short, we're just doing battles now, the rest doesn't make enough sens.

I don't understand where TW is going.

Last edited:
It's because money controls everything. There is nothing in the game you can't make trivial with cash. Some of the stuff you mentioned would actually have an impact if the game wasn't a hypercapitalist simulator.
a hyper-capitalist simulator? I just saw a boring system, let's not make it more interesting than it actually is. The "economical" simulator does not add anything to the gameplay. That's all.

It is said that it is possible to stifle the economy of the adversary. Sure, you can attack caravans, prevent trade, so what? Where's the fun? If only it was part of a large complex strategy in which you could spend hours thinking. But no, don't joke, it's not. You can also stay "neutral" and develop your network of caravans, but it's very very very boring because then nothing happens, nothing at all, there is nothing to do but wait for the money comes in for hours and hours...

The game is so made that a lot of things don't make sense.

I quit the game for almost a year or more. I took over the game to see if there were any notable changes to make it more fun. There is a lot of progress from the point of view we will say "ergonomic" or "practical", but on the general gameplay, strategy, diplomacy, economy, etc.

But now that the game is "running better", hopefully we'll see some new gameplay.

Last edited:
I'm going to be a little cooler. There's a lot of progress in 1.8.0, and it's promising.
- The possibility of talking with the prisoners, even if I have not yet understood the interest, is surely promising new possibilities, I like the idea,
- the possibility of making a prisoner escape, it's a very amusing thing,
The list is quite long of the progress made and I admit that the game has become more pleasant since 1.8.0, we feel the important things are falling into place.
I also saw the beginnings of a "diplomacy" linked to marriages, I hope it's not just an illusion.
In addition, during the campaign, the "small factions" disappear less easily.
The rebellion system is sometimes annoying, but I like the principle. It's not new but it's a good thing.
Being able to visualize quest targets more easily is cool too.
In short, there are plenty of good things that give cause for optimism for the future.

This will be my last word until the next major update.

I really don't think it would be that I'd say it's more that they show a lot less care to the modding tools and modding in general since they seem to have another project in the works plus what is probably gonna be a console edition for BL, so I don't think it has much to do with an overinflated ego it probably has more to do that they do focus on a lot of thongs just not many of the things the community wants.
I've long forgotten the details but there was big drama in the pre-release MP when there was a really popular MP server and the devs yeeted it into the sun with their next release. One dev admitted that the dev team was jealous that modders were getting all the attention. That was a couple years ago now but I wouldn't exactly call that water under the bridge because the dev team has yet to earn any trust with the community... at best TW is treading water on community relations.
I'm waiting for the game to become really fun. With a more fun environment, a more complete 4X strategy with real diplomatic and trade options, real RP relations with more elaborate NPcs... Everything that should make a fun game... But, nothing new in 1.8 .0.
This is, unfortunately, intentional. Years ago, when we asked devs when they were going to implement these basic little touches Warband had like lord personalities that mattered and marriages that mattered and intrigues that happened and feasts that happened... they said that not only is that not happening, they were surprised that anyone wanted that stuff. I think that gem is in the first link in my description.

Apparently somebody at TW got the idea in their head that BL was gonna be an e-sport combat sim rather than the wandering-noble intrigue sim that Warband was. And to be fair there are a lot of potential high school shooters in this forum who just LOVE smoking a joint and turning the difficulty low and murdering a bunch of looters with a greatsword. Those of us who want a slightly more soulful or realistic experience are just SOL.
It's because money controls everything. There is nothing in the game you can't make trivial with cash. Some of the stuff you mentioned would actually have an impact if the game wasn't a hypercapitalist simulator.
This I will admit is kind of a thing. At the very least, it's how AI parties work: they don't have enough programming to compete with the player so the solution (for some of them at least) is limitless cash and maximized stats from the start. The entire game is MMO-grind and this is a small part of that.
It is said that it is possible to stifle the economy of the adversary. Sure, you can attack caravans, prevent trade, so what? Where's the fun? If only it was part of a large complex strategy in which you could spend hours thinking. But no, don't joke, it's not. You can also stay "neutral" and develop your network of caravans, but it's very very very boring because then nothing happens, nothing at all, there is nothing to do but wait for the money comes in for hours and hours...
It's not actually possible to stifle the economy of the adversary. Higher-tier landed nobles are sitting on so much gold that it's practically impossible to put a dent in their stash by doing anything but taking all their land. As you indicated... there's no subtlety to any of it. Grind cash to grind troops to grind combat to grind sieges and then you've grinded the game... as well as a small part of your soul you'll never get back.

This is, unfortunately, intentional. Years ago, when we asked devs when they were going to implement these basic little touches Warband had like lord personalities that mattered and marriages that mattered and intrigues that happened and feasts that happened... they said that not only is that not happening, they were surprised that anyone wanted that stuff. I think that gem is in the first link in my description.
If this is right some DEV needs to confirm this. Because if it is ,i think i am done with it .

If this is right some DEV needs to confirm this. Because if it is ,i think i am done with it .
Hahahaa I think it was one of the extra nice devs too, so we tend not to bring it up and cause drama and disincentivize devs from being similarly honest in the future.

I'll find you the link if you want but @Callum - if you have a second will you please confirm to us whether or not TW has any intention of incorporating any of the intrigue mechanics that were already in WB (like lords with AI's affected by their personality traits or romance duels) to BL?

Or - let's be more specific - will there be feasts in butterlord ever? Are they on any roadmap or anyone's radar as an idea?

Hahahaa I think it was one of the extra nice devs too, so we tend not to bring it up and cause drama and disincentivize devs from being similarly honest in the future.

I'll find you the link if you want but @Callum - if you have a second will you please confirm to us whether or not TW has any intention of incorporating any of the intrigue mechanics that were already in WB (like lords with AI's affected by their personality traits or romance duels) to BL?

Or - let's be more specific - will there be feasts in butterlord ever? Are they on any roadmap or anyone's radar as an idea?
Dev or link i don't mind. I know this isn't a game made for me its for everyone but at least 50% of the people share rpg vision of the game. A battle simulator isn't enough to carry the campaign.

Back
Top Bottom