POLL: How are people liking the 1.8.0 Beta?

How are you liking the 1.8.0 Beta?

• It is a dream come true that has massively improved my experience

• It exceeded expectations

• Some good & some bad

• It was a waste of time that can't be played with the mods I like

• It actively made the game worse

• I like turtles

• For some insane reason, I hate turtles

Results are only viewable after voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

bonerstorm

Genghis Khan't
Sergeant
I'M BACK BIT-.... BRO-... er... BUDDIES!

And I just checked out the changelog for 1.8.0... which looks like many of the things I've been hoping for since I last played about six months ago. I have no idea what else has been put in the game in the meantime either. I've been really hoping to see ethic traits fully implemented and fixed, but I'm not holding my breath on that. I'd LOVE to hear that the entire design philosophy has changed in response to the fact that the game is far behind schedule, but that would be much too good to be true.

Have any mods been invalidated by new fixes or balances? Are the XP balances so good that I no longer need to turn on 3x XP so I don't feel like I'm grinding an MMO? Is Bannerlord no longer a soulless fetch-questy looter-grinder with all the deep joy of an Excel spreadsheet?

HAVE SPEARS BEEN FIXED? DOES SHIELDWALL NO LONGER MAKE YOUR UNITS EXTREMELY EASY TO KILL?

Please get me back up to speed and don't hesitate to rant. Let the hate - or love! - flow through you.

There's some good improvements such as skill gain changes and army team ups, but the vassal defection bug makes it un-fit for normal conquest play past the mid game. It's also already been an un-acceptable amount of time to leave the bug un-fixed. keep in mind there could be other issues un-discovered because many players shelved their late game campaigns because of the defection bug.

There's some good improvements such as skill gain changes and army team ups, but the vassal defection bug makes it un-fit for normal conquest play past the mid game. It's also already been an un-acceptable amount of time to leave the bug un-fixed. keep in mind there could be other issues un-discovered because many players shelved their late game campaigns because of the defection bug.
this basically, on my shelf until we get a hotfix for the defection issue

Some Hotfixes are lacking, archers are still broken but otherwise the game indeed is getting better. What is sad is the time it took to implement it, and the time that has passed since then.
I just wish I could stop relying on mods to make the game enjoyable/not painful

Have any mods been invalidated by new fixes or balances? Are the XP balances so good that I no longer need to turn on 3x XP so I don't feel like I'm grinding an MMO? Is Bannerlord no longer a soulless fetch-questy looter-grinder with all the deep joy of an Excel spreadsheet?
Yes but many have been updated/no/yes

@bonerstorm if you feel like playing its actually a good time for a mercenary run, they added in receiving offers of mercenary work which makes it fun to go around and fight for the highest bidder. Also they implemented armies working together so you can have some crazy big battles.

If you wanted an normal vassal/king play through prob best to wait for a hotfix or next update.

@bonerstorm if you feel like playing its actually a good time for a mercenary run, they added in receiving offers of mercenary work which makes it fun to go around and fight for the highest bidder. Also they implemented armies working together so you can have some crazy big battles.

If you wanted an normal vassal/king play through prob best to wait for a hotfix or next update.
Hahaaa yeah nope nope nope I'm out.

Maybe in another 6 months they'll fix ethic traits so - for instance - it's possible to get Valor without abusing broken mechanics or playing on easy.

mercenary pay is bugged too. If you restart the program merc pay resets to 100/influence instead of the price you negotiated.

Surely a step forward but a small one, but I didn´t really expect more. There is no huge surprise update coming in the future that will really have an impact. TW will continue to add the last missing stuff from their so called "roadmap", introduce a few new game breaking bugs with the next new betas and that´s it. So the same as "always". All the annoying/non working stuff doesn´t seems to get fixed so. I just wait for the final release and then for the big mods that will make a good game out of Bannerlord.

Claimants and banners are the last missing features for me, claimants will be another menu entry that you can click to exchange the leader by some random chance which is influenced by 0,095% of your charm level and by another 0,000034534% of you relation to random lord x. Banners will be nice of course, as mods already have proven.

I don´t expect TW to really fix the broken economy, campaign AI or battle AI, useless traits, useless relations, useless influence or other important stuff that is not really working since 2 years. But modders will do. But I have some hope left that TW will at least try to improve some of this stuff.

I mean you must be really stupid to think that YOUR AI makes a good use of the circle formation if you actually play YOUR OWN game, that´s why the RBM mods disables it for the AI. Because everyone with a brain notices very fast that the AI just can´t handle the formation. But whatever, that´s just one of thousands minor things TW doesn´t care about. But if you would actually play your own game for more than 1h you would notice a lot of other stuff (bugs) that should never make their way into the beta or that doesn´t make sense (not talking about 1.8.0 just in general).

I believe on paper Bannerlord is the best game in the world and that´s how TW sees it. I mean it sold a lot of copies so it gives them right to think so. The best that can happen right now is that TW just finishes the game and gives most effort in the modding tools so that the real fans of the game can make the best out of it.

Then TW can make some DLC for some good money which mostly will be worse that mods could offer. TW will then hype up their space game with the Bannerlords "things" they earned (New space game from the creators of the best selling open world medieval game). Then they will fall hard when reality hits and gamers have like already 7 good open world space games and are in no need of a broken EA space game alpha. Then they will sell their company to Microsoft. Story ends.

Last edited:
I couldn't play the 1.7 branch swinging a weapon lagged my game . 1.8 for me lets me swing weapons and unlike every other branch i can have 1000v1000 battles without and lag even in sieges. So as far performance goes its a 10 and they add the cut scenes with adds to the role play and adds life to the world and it really really needs its. I have had one crash when head to Baltakhand in the Khuzait kingdom and thats my only one . Also i let my Bro play his own campaign and he also never had a crash. So its pretty solid.

I don´t expect TW to really fix the broken economy, campaign AI or battle AI, useless traits, useless relations, useless influence or other important stuff that is not really working since 2 years. But modders will do. But I have some hope left that TW will at least try to improve some of this stuff.
Most of the faith in modders to fix these issues is unwarranted. Most of them don't touch these systems. The ones that do usually don't keep their mods updated for very long. The main exception is RBM and battle AI.

"Well after release, TW will stop patching and the modders will return!!"

TW already said that they are going to keep patching the game after release, for years. And they did that with Warband too, which apparently wiped out a bunch of mods a few years after it had been released. So there isn't any reason to think they are bull****ting about it.

edit: Also, it is hard as **** to mod Bannerlord compared to Warband.

Claimants and banners are the last missing features for me, claimants will be another menu entry that you can click to exchange the leader by some random chance which is influenced by 0,095% of your charm level and by another 0,000034534% of you relation to random lord x.
Yep. This is what I expect what claimants will look like in the game, another menu button.

See...that´s how low gamers can get.
So on bannerlord if you went into any battle and as soon as you click the mouse to attack you had a 3 second screen freeze you would be grateful if was fixed . Come on man really ? Yes in bannerlord that should be the minimum requirement . But the question was is 1.8 a good patch for me yes . Now 1.7 was for me the worst patch i could play the game it was that bad. I think you were out of line there bud.

Last edited:
Also, it is hard as **** to mod Bannerlord compared to Warband
This is peak comedy, not as in it's not true but the fact that a game released in 2020 is harder to mod than one from 2008 is pretty crazy, not to mention that modding tools exist for that simple reason of making modding BL easier than WB.

obviously with all the things that are not working it made the game worse. it's a disaster and there is no need to white wash anything about it. but maybe you just want to play the game for yourself to have your own impression as everyone is having different expectations.
beside the defection there is also:
1.8.0 looks really great on paper, but sadly i experienced that nothing but the cutscences and improved campaign behaviour is actually working. the change of damage values works aswell, but comes along with an issue:

the vlandians are suffering big time from that.

crossbowmen are basically useless. fighting vlandians felt like fighting looters. using crossbowmen felt like using rock throwing looters. more balancing needs to be done. all things concidered i like that change a lot and is definetly going into the right direction. leaving out the crossbowmen, the damage values feel good.

i dont feel any changes on the economy, just that i go for silversmiths only and pay more for the workshops. no other workshop was really viable so far, especially concidering the price of 30k and above. wars are happening more often, caravans make more, but get smacked fast. you still have to pay for 30 troops, while ai caravans have 50, why?

the sieges are favouring the attacker big time, with defenders not being in position at the beginning. i had sieges where my archers where waiting for the enemy to finally show up on the walls. once someone finally appeared, they got shot down before being in position. the other way round i had siege defences where my archers are getting stuck behind of the walls because infantry units where blocking the way.

the changes on the respawn system result into your troops spawning in front of your frontline frequently, totally exposed to the enemy, not being able to see where the reinforcements are coming from make battles with reinforcements a gamble and not a reliability. successful warlords have to rely on their reinforcements.

even tho that every faction is using around 5 billion cav units nowadays, i wasnt seeing any big impact on the knockdown effect. it looks minor to me. the change doesnt hurt.

i notice how the ai behaves on the campaignmap: more straight forward and getting sieges done. i like that a lot. i also like the chance to die on the battlefield.
shieldwall has been fixed on 1.6.4 already.

btw how many more threads about all the not working things in 1.8.0 can we get or is this going to be the last one?

Back
Top Bottom