SP - General [Poll] Different Vassal Titles in Relation to Power

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly I just think that king & count is just too bland and honestly especially towards later game I think it breaks immersion a bit. I like the idea of different systems for empire & vlandia in comparison to the current system.

Clans,dynasties must be,and nothing problem with titles in clan,Son,heir of King-prince,other family members-your lady,sir.Own duchy-duke,owns barony-baron,heir of baron-sir,young baron,if young,if not-sir,family members-sir,lady.

First off, i must remind you all that there is already an existing in-game mechanic that can support titular hierarchy, and it is called Clan tiers (from 4th paragraph onwards).

What we can do is recommend binding certain title to certain clan tier. Although player`s clan can raise its tier even if not in a faction, i would like it if you recieve the title only when you join a faction, until then you are just called by your name, or simply "lord"- your name.

That being said, we don`t yet actually know how many clan tiers there are exactly, but it is mentioned in the devblog i linked that you can join a faction (as a mercenary, not specified if as vassal as well) only after your clan reaches tier 2.
I believe that 3 title tiers for each faction is more than enough (so its for tier 2,3 and 4, since at clan tier 1 you cannot join faction and thus it`s logical to have no title), 1 faction leader title- King, plus 1 special title being the equvalent of "Marshall" like in Warband, but localized differently for each faction as well.

This is my suggestion for those titles and their localization between factions according to Taleworlds' stated inspirational context of real-life early medieval states (but compromising with a slight anachrony for easier recognition), starting with Vlandia, since that faction should clearly have easily understandable noble titles in english, so we can later understand other factions' less known non-english equivalent titles.

I am in favor of keeping it simple and not overcomplicating it, so we let all relatives of a clan leader (clan members) be of the same title for clan tiers that are NOT ruling clan, and ruling clan members all be the same as well between factions, but different to non-ruling clan members, marshall is a special military title not related to the noble titles, and has only musculine version, also some cultures don`t differ male from female forms of some titles (tribal nations in general).

If you got confused, i dont blame you, here are my toughts:

Vlandia

Clan tier 2
Leader - Baron/Baroness​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Count/Countess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 4
Leader - Duke/Duchess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Marshall
Marshall​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - King/Queen ("Consort" suffix for spouses)​
Members - Prince/Princess​

The Empire

Clan tier 2
Leader - Strategos/Strategissa​
Members - Sebastos/Sebaste​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Domestikos/Domestika​
Clan tier 4
Leader - Doukas/Doukaina​
Marshall
Sebastokrator​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - Emperor/Empress ("Consort" suffix for spouses, and i think "Basileus" is unnecessary here)​
Members - Despotos/Despotissa​

Battania

Clan tier 2
Leader - Chieftan​
Members - Highborn​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Tribal Chief​
Members -Highborn​
Clan tier 4
Leader - High Chief​
Members - Highborn​
Marshall
Warlord​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - King/Queen ("Consort" suffix for spouses)​
Members - Sir/Dame​

Sturgia

Clan tier 2
Leader - Boyar/Boyarina​
Members - Dvoryanin/Dvoryana​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Knyaz/Knyazhina​
Clan tier 4
Leader -Voivod/Voivodina​
Marshall
Vozhd​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - Grand Prince/Grand Princess ("Consort" suffix for spouses)​

Khuzait

Clan tier 2
Leader - Cherbi​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Khong​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 4
Leader -Noyan​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Marshall
Tumen​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - Khan/Khatun ("Consort" suffix for spouses)​
Members - Jinong/Gonji​

Aserai

Clan tier 2
Leader - Wali/Walia​
Members - Sayyid/Sayyida​
Clan tier 3
Leader - Sheikh/Sheikha​
Clan tier 4
Leader -Emir/Emira​
Marshall
Mushir​
/​

Ruling Clan
Leader - Sultan/Sultanah ("Consort" suffix for spouses)​
Members - Sharif/Sharifa

Last edited:
I like were your head is at. Using the Clan tier system actually works very well. I totally forgot it existed.

My only problem is the names of some of the titles especially Empire. I think they're too exotic.

RoboSenshi said:
I like were your head is at. Using the Clan tier system actually works very well. I totally forgot it existed.

My only problem is the names of some of the titles especially Empire. I think they're too exotic.
I know your worries, and i also know there is no chance in hell that Taleworlds will give EVERY faction its title localization, but i wanted to give it a shot with the most complicated nomenclature solution that could be binded with their exsisting mechanic ( so they dont have to "rework" anything, just expand their own mechanic ), and then, as expected, we can simplify it from there on, use anglicized versions for many of the titles, like for Empire instead of "Despotos" use "Imperial Prince" and so on and so forth.

Everyone, propose titles for factions you think are too complicated in my post and could never be remembered properly by the gamers, the best proposals i will edit in my post so we can maybe achieve some sweet spot of localization and easy readable titles some time in the future.

The chances are that simplification will go as far as to every faction having same titles almost like in Warband lol  :grin:

@Piconi. I personally don't like the Aserai titles as they are very non-arabic. Which is strange for a faction based on pre islamic Arabs. I would use

Aserai

[size=10pt]
Clan tier 2​
Leader - Sheikh/Sheikha​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Qa'id/Qa'ida​
Clan tier 4​
Leader -Emir/Emira​
Marshall​
Mushir​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Sultan/Sultana ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​
Members - Sharif/Sharifa​

@Colleseum2
Good point, thats where i was the wakest in terms of historical knowelege, this looks somewhat better, except i would name Qa'id - "Quaid", or is there some other simmilarly ranked title that sounds better and is easier to read for wider audence ?

Captain Obvious said:
FBohler said:
I think the transition from commoner to the nobility should be very tough.

Agreed. I'd also want to see some sort of more complicated conditions and reasons when becoming nobility for more flavour.

I'd also like that. When being granted a noble title for the first time, your liege could recount one particular deed for which you are being honoured. This could perhaps be supported by the event system, making one noteworthy action for the kingdom a requirement for being knighted. Examples could be achieving an important quest, being very strong in a popular personality trait, having exceptional relations to a high-ranking noble or the king himself, turning the tide in a large battle that seemed lost, and so on. 

Maybe title for special situations, like if you are always slaughtering and raiding villages you get cruel title. Or if you are always fighting against big odds (100vs300-400) you get 'mad' or 'fearless' title. You, get the point.

Memoefe said:
Maybe title for special situations, like if you are always slaughtering and raiding villages you get cruel title. Or if you are always fighting against big odds (100vs300-400) you get 'mad' or 'fearless' title. You, get the point.
[/quote
Hmm I think that might be too complicated.

Piconi said:
First off, i must remind you all that there is already an existing in-game mechanic that can support titular hierarchy, and it is called Clan tiers (from 4th paragraph onwards).

What we can do is recommend binding certain title to certain clan tier. Although player`s clan can raise its tier even if not in a faction, i would like it if you recieve the title only when you join a faction, until then you are just called by your name, or simply "lord"- your name.

That being said, we don`t yet actually know how many clan tiers there are exactly, but it is mentioned in the devblog i linked that you can join a faction (as a mercenary, not specified if as vassal as well) only after your clan reaches tier 2.
I believe that 3 title tiers for each faction is more than enough (so its for tier 2,3 and 4, since at clan tier 1 you cannot join faction and thus it`s logical to have no title), 1 faction leader title- King, plus 1 special title being the equvalent of "Marshall" like in Warband, but localized differently for each faction as well.

This is my suggestion for those titles and their localization between factions according to Taleworlds' stated inspirational context of real-life early medieval states (but compromising with a slight anachrony for easier recognition), starting with Vlandia, since that faction should clearly have easily understandable noble titles in english, so we can later understand other factions' less known non-english equivalent titles.

I am in favor of keeping it simple and not overcomplicating it, so we let all relatives of a clan leader (clan members) be of the same title for clan tiers that are NOT ruling clan, and ruling clan members all be the same as well between factions, but different to non-ruling clan members, marshall is a special military title not related to the noble titles, and has only musculine version, also some cultures don`t differ male from female forms of some titles (tribal nations in general).

Vlandia

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Baron/Baroness​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Count/Countess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 4​
Leader - Duke/Duchess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Marshall​
Marshall​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - King/Queen ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​

[size=16pt]The Empire

Clan tier 2​
Clan tier 3​
Clan tier 4​
Marshall​
Sebastokrator​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Emperor/Empress ("Consort" prefix for spouses, and i think "Basileus" is unnecessary here)​

[size=16pt]Battania

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Chieftan​
Members - Highborn​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Tribal Chief​
Members -Highborn​
Clan tier 4​
Leader - High Chief​
Members - Highborn​
Marshall​
Warlord​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - King/Queen​
Members - Sir/Dame​

[size=16pt]Sturgia

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Boyar/Boyarina​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Knyaz/Knyagina​
Clan tier 4​
Marshall​
Vozhd​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Grand Prince/Grand Princess ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​

[size=16pt]Khuzait

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Cherbi​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Khong​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 4​
Leader -Noyan​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Marshall​
Tumen​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Khan/Khatun ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​
Members - Jinong/Gonji​

[size=16pt]Aserai

[size=10pt]
Clan tier 2​
Leader - Wali/Walia​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Sheikh/Sheikha​
Clan tier 4​
Leader -Emir/Emira​
Marshall​
Mushir​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​

Slight correction: Consort is a suffix, as in Queen Consort, rather than a prefix, as in Consort Queen

Also for Sturgia: The female form of Boyar is simply Boyarin, and the female form of Knyaz should be Knyazhna or Knyezhna, though I guess this might vary if you use some specific slavic language.

I was going to correct you on how weird 'Strategissa' sounds, but a quick search revealed that to be correct, so nevermind on that front.​

Captain Obvious said:
FBohler said:
I think the transition from commoner to the nobility should be very tough.

Agreed. I'd also want to see some sort of more complicated conditions and reasons when becoming nobility for more flavour.

It's going to be a little of a lackluster if your character is a Lord right from the beginning.

I couldn't use a better word than "flavour" in this case  :grin:

Faustus said:
Piconi said:

Vlandia

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Baron/Baroness​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Count/Countess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Clan tier 4​
Leader - Duke/Duchess​
Members - Lord/Lady​
Marshall​
Marshall​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - King/Queen ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​

[size=16pt]The Empire

Clan tier 2​
Clan tier 3​
Clan tier 4​
Marshall​
Sebastokrator​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Emperor/Empress ("Consort" prefix for spouses, and i think "Basileus" is unnecessary here)​

[size=16pt]Battania

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Chieftan​
Members - Highborn​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Tribal Chief​
Members -Highborn​
Clan tier 4​
Leader - High Chief​
Members - Highborn​
Marshall​
Warlord​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - King/Queen​
Members - Sir/Dame​

[size=16pt]Sturgia

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Boyar/Boyarina​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Knyaz/Knyagina​
Clan tier 4​
Marshall​
Vozhd​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Grand Prince/Grand Princess ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​

[size=16pt]Khuzait

Clan tier 2​
Leader - Cherbi​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Khong​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Clan tier 4​
Leader -Noyan​
Members - Khuu/Behichi​
Marshall​
Tumen​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​
Leader - Khan/Khatun ("Consort" prefix for spouses)​
Members - Jinong/Gonji​

[size=16pt]Aserai

[size=10pt]
Clan tier 2​
Leader - Wali/Walia​
Clan tier 3​
Leader - Sheikh/Sheikha​
Clan tier 4​
Leader -Emir/Emira​
Marshall​
Mushir​
/           ​
[size=10pt]
Ruling Clan​

Slight correction: Consort is a suffix, as in Queen Consort, rather than a prefix, as in Consort Queen

Also for Sturgia: The female form of Boyar is simply Boyarin, and the female form of Knyaz should be Knyazhna or Knyezhna, though I guess this might vary if you use some specific slavic language.

I was going to correct you on how weird 'Strategissa' sounds, but a quick search revealed that to be correct, so nevermind on that front.

Boyarin also Boyar name in russian,Boyar,Boyarin.Not female.​

Some guy just claimed only 5 people are working on BL right now, I wonder if they have enough workforce to implement anything other than the strictly necessary to the game for being release in EA.

FBohler said:
Some guy just claimed only 5 people are working on BL right now, I wonder if they have enough workforce to implement anything other than the strictly necessary to the game for being release in EA.

Wot in tarnation. Are you just trolling? Please, tell me this is just a joke.

Back
Top Bottom