[Poll-Debate-Suggestion] Revision 1h slash right strike on horseback

Which animation best reflects the 1H slash right strike?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The Subcomandante would be ashamed to read that sentence :iamamoron: .
948px-SubMarcosHorseFromAfar-head.jpg

Really? a buff? :lol: To me this suggestion ranks right up there with the swing arc reviews.... combat fundamentals... buffs are menavlion crushthrought and other **** like passive perks. But hey, you're free to vote.... I'm just surprised you voted based on that ?(y) .
I do for a reason and that is the upper stab. Bumpslashes or Sideswings from horse back can be used so far, but different than in WB. Bumpslashes are quite hard to pull off, while stabs are not that hard, if you know how to use it. The swing arc for the slashes actually might also help for aiming at the head, but I'm not playing enough Cavalry to back up on that as hard statement, just prediction.
I actually think that giving back the old bumpslash (what you propose) might not affect the overall balance of the game good with the upper stab - which usually hits the head of either the rider of the ground unit you are aiming for, if you're good enough, is a good idea.

Nice shot at the Subcommandante though. :grin:

I do for a reason and that is the upper stab. Bumpslashes or Sideswings from horse back can be used so far, but different than in WB. Bumpslashes are quite hard to pull off, while stabs are not that hard, if you know how to use it. The swing arc for the slashes actually might also help for aiming at the head, but I'm not playing enough Cavalry to back up on that as hard statement, just prediction.
I actually think that giving back the old bumpslash (what you propose) might not affect the overall balance of the game good with the upper stab - which usually hits the head of either the rider of the ground unit you are aiming for, if you're good enough, is a good idea.

Nice shot at the Subcommandante though. :grin:
The thrust, I was following on from Tork and Danny's comments; it's true that if you know how to do it, it's not too difficult in itself... as I said, I don't see much of a problem. There is room for improvement? well yes, I think that the possibility of rotating the weapon could be a motive for analysis; as I said. But that's a digression from the main issue; the windup or as you say bumpslash.

Apart from the obvious problem of animation in my eyes, there is the problem of aiming. Take a look at XDaron's video in #9.

That's why it struck me as odd that you thought an animation fix would go beyond a simple buff (noob friendy stuff - you know what I mean) to correcting flaws (in my eyes) in the basic horseback combat system.

Thanks for the explanation anyway. :wink: (y)

The thrust, I was following on from Tork and Danny's comments; it's true that if you know how to do it, it's not too difficult in itself... as I said, I don't see much of a problem. There is room for improvement? well yes, I think that the possibility of rotating the weapon could be a motive for analysis; as I said. But that's a digression from the main issue; the windup or as you say bumpslash.

Apart from the obvious problem of animation in my eyes, there is the problem of aiming. Take a look at XDaron's video in #9.

That's why it struck me as odd that you thought an animation fix would go beyond a simple buff (noob friendy stuff - you know what I mean) to correcting flaws (in my eyes) in the basic horseback combat system.

Yep that video just sums it up lol

Damn, I've had thousands of hours in Warband and could never consistently hit my target from horseback with the sword. I almost always either slashed over my foe's head or swung so close to my mount's side that I swear I shaved some hair from his ribs. If anyone else had the same issue or knew what I was doing wrong I'd like to know.
Timing and slight movement to either side, turning your mouse even a tiny bit can have a massive impact. All about practise really. Focus on training spesifically on this, then later on, add bump slashing into your lexicon of death. Its an insanely effective way to get kills especially in public where most people dont bother with spears and think a shield can protect them.

I mean, I for once believe that cavalry as of now has more than enough tools and ways to apply damage to opponents at hand, same goes for archers and therefore I am reserved for more changes to this at the moment, especially as I have seen the abuse of said tools being handed down to the players a lot and causing immense amounts of salt. Recently TW went to try to fix some of the problems with giving spears proper damage, although the mode of application has been contested and discussed already extensively (i.e. passive perks).

I want the game to improve, but one step at a time, if they bring in another utterly broken tool for an already arguably broken class, people will push back and rage about it and rightly so.

I mean, I for once believe that cavalry as of now has more than enough tools and ways to apply damage to opponents at hand, same goes for archers and therefore I am reserved for more changes to this at the moment, especially as I have seen the abuse of said tools being handed down to the players a lot and causing immense amounts of salt. Recently TW went to try to fix some of the problems with giving spears proper damage, although the mode of application has been contested and discussed already extensively (i.e. passive perks).

I want the game to improve, but one step at a time, if they bring in another utterly broken tool for an already arguably broken class, people will push back and rage about it and rightly so.

I understand your perspective; but the way I see it, the suggestion goes beyond giving or taking away "tools", but rather fixing a specific part of a specific type of strike in a specific situation with a specific type of weapon.

giphy.gif
_fjq5.jpg
In the gif you can see the "animation flipping" moment. It is merely suggesting to change the animation of the lower right quadrant, adapting the swing arc to the success window in a similar way to Warband... nothing more, nothing less.

You know I've been complaining as much about removing menavlions from cavalry, nerfing the attack angles of the couch lance itself, increasing cooldown time and other "tools" given to cavalry. Well, I think this (the suggestion) transcends to a basic gameplay level; the swing simply has to go to a success window by means of an appropriate animation... and that transcends both MP and SP.

I understand your perspective; but the way I see it, the suggestion goes beyond giving or taking away "tools", but rather fixing a specific part of a specific type of strike in a specific situation with a specific type of weapon.

giphy.gif
_fjq5.jpg
In the gif you can see the "animation flipping" moment. It is merely suggesting to change the animation of the lower right quadrant, adapting the swing arc to the success window in a similar way to Warband... nothing more, nothing less.

You know I've been complaining as much about removing menavlions from cavalry, nerfing the attack angles of the couch lance itself, increasing cooldown time and other "tools" given to cavalry. Well, I think this (the suggestion) transcends to a basic gameplay level; the swing simply has to go to a success window by means of an appropriate animation... and that transcends both MP and SP.
your content really needs to be read by the developers

it is hard to read through 99% of bad suggestions to get the 1% of good content so i assume developers just ignore everyone ( i hope not)

the videos, examples, and solutions you show are great

hopefully you will be heard one day

your content really needs to be read by the developers

it is hard to read through 99% of bad suggestions to get the 1% of good content so i assume developers just ignore everyone ( i hope not)

the videos, examples, and solutions you show are great

hopefully you will be heard one day

Offtopic

Thank you for your kind words. I may be "a bit more dedicated" when it comes to posting ideas/concepts/suggestions through images and video tests, but I'm no more valid than XDaron or Silen who gave their honest feeback on this issue prior to the April 2020 release.

Like so many other issues, we keep spinning the hamster wheel over and over again. What I find intriguing is how fundamental issues such as swing arcs have not already been corrected or other basic gameplay foundations and on the other hand to see how "passive perks" (this not belong to M&B imho) are being applied experimentally... Taleworlds priorities have me baffled... not mentioning custom server tools.

---

By the way, due to language barriers I recently became aware of the concept of bumpslash... hitting with the horse and release a slash hit afterwards. Ok, that's not cool in my eyes just like the "bumpcouch" issue I commented here giving feedback on how I would " address" the problem.

This being clear; the main intention of this thread is to promote a change of animation only, how the agent performs in windup from behind on horseback with weapons at 1h (of course the so-called "through the horse" ghost hits can be corrected by adjusting the manoeuvre arc rotation limits in combat_parameters.). Very similar to the suggestion of windup from behind for glaive that I commented about here.

Last edited:
I think having bumpslashing/bumphitting is a pretty okay mechanic. Remove couching and it remains a way to force a hit, but it requires more skill.

It should be like similiar in value to a kick

Timing and slight movement to either side, turning your mouse even a tiny bit can have a massive impact. All about practise really. Focus on training spesifically on this, then later on, add bump slashing into your lexicon of death. Its an insanely effective way to get kills especially in public where most people dont bother with spears and think a shield can protect them.
The bump slashing worked well for me in Napoleonic Wars but I I always had to turn my mount to give me a forgiving angle. It seems like like most people had an easier time on Warband when it comes to mounted combat but I must be one of the rare ones that finds stroking enemy infantry with my sword while mounted to be easier.

I know that this was posted on the MP board, but I think that this is an issue that is very important for both SP and MP. @Piconi I am wondering if you saw this thread and if it has enough activity to qualify being included in the suggestions mega thread for more visibility? Although I don't know how many people check that at this point :smile:

@Piconi I am wondering if you saw this thread and if it has enough activity to qualify being included in the suggestions mega thread for more visibility?
Yes i saw it, but it is posted in the feedback board (Fields of Valour) rather than in the Suggestions board (from which the threads are picked for the Top Suggestions), and as Terco knows his way arround the forums, i am sure it was on purpose and with a purpose (as he often does with his Poll+Debate threads, with an additional suggestion or two).

Either way, one thing i am sure about as well: at this point in time, if there is a quality suggestion, in or outside of the Suggestions board (like this one), it will be seen by the respective devs, on their own or by us pestering and mentioning them as we learned who is assigned for what along the way.

maybe devs felt that the bumpslashing was too easy or overpowered, if they wanted it be like wb then you are correct and personally hate current bannerlord 1h-r swing. changing it to warband and also make bumpslash easyer to do, would increase sword and board cav for sure.

@eddiemccandless & @Piconi Thanks for the interest guys ?(y) , luckily we have @Dejan and I have it on good authority that the thread has been forwarded to the devs by him. Now, just because the message has been delivered doesn't mean we will see any effect... you know how this works :iamamoron:? , but know that Dejan is doing his job both publicly and behind the scenes.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom