Poll: Current Troop Assignment

Do you think the current Troop Assignment System is working?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

AngryPanCake

Sergeant
Hello,

I know I am beating a dead horse, but I wanted to have an idea how many people actually like/dislike the new troop assignment system.
This is a poll on the assignment system alone, not the whole new OoB system. The OoB system consists of Troop Assignment and Pre-battle deployment. So the poll is not about the Pre-battle deployment.

If you think the Troop Assignment system is working well for you, please elaborate and share what you think is working. I am not asking the ones that don't like it to comment cause there are so many posts about it not working that it is clear at this time what's wrong with the new system. But, if you think there is something that you actually find useful, then please share with us.

Thank you.
APC

Last edited:
Compared to the old system, one thing is working quite nice - there is more control over the troops from other parties as an army commander - but for me it is not worth having at the same time all the rest of functionalities not working properly right now.

Compared to the old system, one thing is working quite nice - there is more control over the troops from other parties as an army commander - but for me it is not worth having at the same time all the rest of functionalities not working properly right now.
I agree, there are a few things that are very good. I like having captains for the formations and benefiting from their skills/perks.
I just wish they improve the troop assignment system. I think that's the only thing most people complain about or at least the 10 that answered the poll! It does feel like a whole lot of people are not happy with it, but not many voted!

I like the new system, but I don't like not having the old system. I know nothing of programming, but it doesn't seem like the two are incompatible. I think they should combine and use their new power to conquer the world.

Formations deployment phase is very good, not being able to manually place soldiers in formations is a ****ing disaster.
The priority tags (heavy armor, polearms, ranged shield etc.) are completely useless.

Now I cannot make a separate suicide squad/death company/penal battalion/shock vanguard etc.

Without manual assignment it is very tedious to train new recruits in the mid-late game.
Before the new system was implemented, I used to have a separate detachment for recruits only. Sent them alone into battle with low level enemies (like looters) and watched them gain levels quickly OR I could leave them in the rear, attach to archers etc., so they would be safe in case the opposition is too strong.
Now I have to mix recruits with high level infantry every time, so weak enemies will be crushed by elites (i.e. no promotions for recruits), and recruits will have to face high level enemies (i.e. will die often).

This was probably made for optimization purposes, since AFAIK common troops do not "exist", they spawn before the battle, only lords and companions have permanent data sheets.
Manual formation assignment would involve some permanent records to be stored in RAM and written in save files.

hmmm no need to bump, the Devs know the problem, they will either fix it next patch release or ... or .. have a "we care" meeting

"We accept Prebattle sliders, one of us, one of us (console)" -

I'm really hoping they are going to fix the troop assignment system in the next patch! hoping very hard.

Don't hope too hard or you'll end up popping an aneurysm :sad:

If you want my honest take, at most they'll just add more sliders and that's about it, I don't think we'll ever have an easily customizable system again as before because they need one that can have an UI that is easy to use for controllers. But then again, they probably won't add too many more sliders because that'd make the already cramped formation window even worse.

That's what I assume is TW's logic about it and why they don't mention it because they know under that constraint they can't do anything better. Not like they could have a different UI for keyboard + mouse and controller like they do for the F key commands but, whatever, you know.

I'll be extremely happy to be wrong if TW fixes it but that's what I can gather from the situation.

I dislike the new troop management as well and I don't care about the console version, I'm a PC Gamer.

If want to make both worlds happy, they should make seperate UI's for the two versions.

And a predict that if TW doubles down on this mistake with 1.7.2. and going forward with it, we will see a mod popping up already during Beta, that fixes this for the players.

If people can add whole new systems like the whole "Fight as a soldier in an army of a lord" thing, they can rework this too, if needed.
However, TW and we as playerbase shouldn't rely on modders to fix the game, that is the job of TW as developer, not the job of modders.

I dislike the new troop management as well and I don't care about the console version, I'm a PC Gamer.

If want to make both worlds happy, they should make seperate UI's for the two versions.

And a predict that if TW doubles down on this mistake with 1.7.2. and going forward with it, we will see a mod popping up already during Beta, that fixes this for the players.

If people can add whole new systems like the whole "Fight as a soldier in an army of a lord" thing, they can rework this too, if needed.
However, TW and we as playerbase shouldn't rely on modders to fix the game, that is the job of TW as developer, not the job of modders.
Thats it, modder should not be the folks to fix the main game, they should add interesting gameplay or/and new appearance, maps. But sure they must be able to do what a modder wants to do for a mod.
Discussions about taste if someone prefers this or that is another question, whats presented by the devs must be finally something stable also someone (at least first) dislikes the presented.
I think you have perhaps an idea how long development must go further on until there will be a stable version for real mods, not fix-mods. Everyone can see if Talesworld brings an update or -fix many things changing everytime, especially for modding.
If i see now Mount & Blade started officially in 2008 and i am member of this forum since 2006 i needed to wait many years for an interesting M&B mod, even a stable version to play. So my hopes are really for a further good development, so the mod-community is able to present the real interesting stuff.
:grin:

I agree, there are a few things that are very good. I like having captains for the formations and benefiting from their skills/perks.
I just wish they improve the troop assignment system. I think that's the only thing most people complain about or at least the 10 that answered the poll! It does feel like a whole lot of people are not happy with it, but not many voted!
they can't "fix" the troop assignment system because it's some kind of automatic code of ai decisions which is set up by the devs who don't play or care about their own game. the only "fix" for anything is remove hardcoded automatic ai behavior and allow compete player agency to make every single decision in the game.

I for one am incredibly frustrated by this new update.
I think not having the means to separate troops into unique groups removes such a large part of in battle strategy that it fundamentally changes the Mount and Blade franchise.
It seems like the Devs are simplifying the game dramatically, and thus removing all possibility to do anything remotely intelligent in Battles.
Battles have regressed significantly from Warband, and I have much less control over using tactics and strategy in battles because the AI just moshes into a clump. This update removes any last bit of individual control the Player has over Battles.

I for one am incredibly frustrated by this new update.
I think not having the means to separate troops into unique groups removes such a large part of in battle strategy that it fundamentally changes the Mount and Blade franchise.
It seems like the Devs are simplifying the game dramatically, and thus removing all possibility to do anything remotely intelligent in Battles.
Battles have regressed significantly from Warband, and I have much less control over using tactics and strategy in battles because the AI just moshes into a clump. This update removes any last bit of individual control the Player has over Battles.
dude i just started learning javascript 2 weeks ago and i already see the possibility of a fully customizable and easily usable formation mod with basic programming knowledge

dude i just started learning javascript 2 weeks ago and i already see the possibility of a fully customizable and easily usable formation mod with basic programming knowledge
Yup, we could definitely use some better formations and Battle AI.
Check out this forum Thread which highlights the improvements made through the Realistic Battle Mod:
Supporting this initiative will hopefully get Taleworlds to implement his fixes into the base game, but they still need to improve the Deployment system with much more granular control (and a save function) before we get close to the functionality of Warband.

Back
Top Bottom