MP [Poll] Cavalry in Siege mode

Users who are viewing this thread

I have played a lot of siege mode since the start and by far the most annoying experience is the issues with cavalry in each game, especially in the late stages of a game.

If anyone has participated in any of the siege events with Call to Arms, we were asked not to use cavalry. It was not missed, it was so much for fun without it!

The most common points I think are issues with cavalry in siege:
  • High spamming of Cavalry on open area flags and most particularly, the G flag (if you haven't seen this I your think your playing the wrong game).
  • Cavalry being able to climb stairs (by zig-zagging or reversing up the stairs) [horses don't belong on the castle walls].
  • Spawn killing attackers and spawn killing or distracting a high number of defenders at the final spawn in Skala Landing. (and sometimes Fen Altai)
  • Makes it easier to ninja/sneak capture the G flag early game (though I think this is more of a problem with map exploits and the flag system).
In my own view, I would like to see cavalry either removed or greatly limited in siege. I am curious to see what everyone else thinks!

Last edited:
I think it's fine as is. None of those points you mentioned seem like strictly cav problem. Spamming on open area seems like a great usage for cavalry to me. Climbing stairs is bothersome for cavalry enough so that if it does it by itself surrounded by enemies it will die horribly. Spawn killing and G sneaking isn't really a cav problem, you can fix those without removing cav, but I find nothing wrong with G sneaking personally.

Using cav in open areas and run behind the enemy lines without them noticing it, is the only real use they have in siege, so it would be contraproductive to change something about that. The only real problem I see with cav in siege, is climbing stairs. Horses should not be able to climb stairs backwars and run ontop of the wall. I too find it really annoying to get attacked by cav really early on, when just respawned, but it balances out the flow of new enemies and siege games (not taking the balance between factions into account) seem pretty fair to me at this point.

Just don't give them stupid ways that bypass door's into the final flag.
Aka this cooked map.
0bcd51eea3880f387eadafeb6f54db83.png

4a652846e67dc03b6678515f74615fba.png

I think the problem is less with the cav and more with the castle design.
Baravenos encirclement is overall fine with cav since they removed some of the entrances.
Skala Landing has these huge open parts where cavalry can just ride through and the last def-spawn is just at the end of the world (and not the funny end).

Making castles more closed off and "castle like" would certainly reduce the effect of cavalry. On the other hand there must still be some sort of balance for cav heavy factions like Khuzait that are already at a disadvantage in sieges.

I think the problem is less with the cav and more with the castle design.
Baravenos encirclement is overall fine with cav since they removed some of the entrances.
Skala Landing has these huge open parts where cavalry can just ride through and the last def-spawn is just at the end of the world (and not the funny end).

Making castles more closed off and "castle like" would certainly reduce the effect of cavalry. On the other hand there must still be some sort of balance for cav heavy factions like Khuzait that are already at a disadvantage in sieges.
I voted for this.

I know this answer seems a bit simplistic, but just prevent them from using stairs. Clearly, certain maps were intended to be a large melee/archer push to G, but instead I see 15 horses circling around it, literally body-blocking the flag. Nobody should be using cav to climb stairs. And those saying "Yeah, but then cav is useless during a siege" Well, duh. It's a castle not an open field. Unfortunately, they reinvented the wheel and gave us a loadout system, I doubt this would be an issue if we could customize our loadout.

TL;DR: Make it so horses can no longer go up stairs and give us custom loadouts so Khuzait/Aserai can have heavy/shock inf.

TL;DR2: Just give us Warband already

Back
Top Bottom