POLL: ATI card owners with drivers 10.7 or higher -- Graphics issues (WB 1.132)?

Do you have graphics issues with ATI drivers version 10.7 or higher (WB 1.132)?

• Yes, I (sometimes) have invisible textures, distortions, etc.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No, I don't have any graphical issues at any time (so far).

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Heh, they always make some new bugs, but heavy ones are quickly corrected ^^
And there is also a lot of very cool features.

I WANT TEH GODAMN SHIPS.

Now that the sample size is a bit more statistically interesting, it still looks like these issues are prevalent amongst ATI card users with 10.7 or higher.

"No" voters: please be kind enough to specify your cards and your drivers and anything else you may find relevant for why you have voted that you have No graphics issues. This might help the devs fixing this issue quicker and better.

Voter who says "10.9 fixed the issues": Please give a description of what you experienced before and after 10.9 (graphics wise).

Also:
Is there anyone with an earlier install (like version 1.113) who could report if the 10.7 or higher works on that version of Warband.
If the drivers work on older versions of Warband, then we can presume that Taleworlds implemented something new that currently does not work well with ATI's drivers 10.7 and higher.

That may be a pure programming error or it may be a feature that is programmatically correct but is not supported properly with ATI's newest drivers. The devs can then either be in touch with AMD or they can perhaps work around it on their own.

Thanks.

Treebeard said:
Now that the sample size is a bit more statistically interesting, it still looks like these issues are prevalent amongst ATI card users with 10.7 or higher.

"No" voters: please be kind enough to specify your cards and your drivers and anything else you may find relevant for why you have voted that you have No graphics issues. This might help the devs fixing this issue quicker and better.

Voter who says "10.9 fixed the issues": Please give a description of what you experienced before and after 10.9 (graphics wise).

Also:
Is there anyone with an earlier install (like version 1.113) who could report if the 10.7 or higher works on that version of Warband.
If the drivers work on older versions of Warband, then we can presume that Taleworlds implemented something new that currently does not work well with ATI's drivers 10.7 and higher.

That may be a pure programming error or it may be a feature that is programmatically correct but is not supported properly with ATI's newest drivers. The devs can then either be in touch with AMD or they can perhaps work around it on their own.

Thanks.

The fact is if they don't post, they don't have arguments.
Possibilities:

-They don't know what the **** it is but " LOL MnB WORKS FINE "
-Nvidia ****tards " LOL THEY HAVE TO BUY AN ATI CARD "
-People who did not get the poll but voted something random anyway
-People who are under 10.4 and thin they have the latest version of the drivers and all.

Welcome on the internet.

DarkSaber2k said:
Just for the sake of clarity, my bug is actually this one:

http://bugs.taleworlds.com/edit_bug.aspx?id=1497

Ah, your bug does not fit the poll questions. I should have had an option for that too because I think it is not exactly the same bug as the top choice.
Did you try changing to 16-bit display like Rob de Hard suggested in thread below? That may be a workaround (perhaps).

(Edit: Changing resolution or using high color (16 bits) does not affect the invisible textures, distortions, etc issue.)

Pretty sure a loading bar with flickering green patches of screen, followed my music, a mouse cursor and a black screen comes under "graphical issues", meaning it fits the poll.

DarkSaber2k said:
Pretty sure a loading bar with flickering green patches of screen, followed my music, a mouse cursor and a black screen comes under "graphical issues", meaning it fits the poll.

Yes, that might be the same cause issue. However, if you also have it on drivers previous to 10.7 then it would be something that should have an option of its own.

Bug id1497 seems to claim that the black start menu with no visible buttons happens also to Nvidia users and is regardless of ati driver version. Seemingly it is a different bug, but the cause issue may very well be related.

I just updated to 10.9 for my 5870s and am still getting sporadic graphic anomalies.  The worst is in the tournaments, when the skybox doesn't spawn, and you cant see your weapon, makes the lance fights stupid hard.

Mr.Pibb said:
I just updated to 10.9 for my 5870s and am still getting sporadic graphic anomalies.  The worst is in the tournaments, when the skybox doesn't spawn, and you cant see your weapon, makes the lance fights stupid hard.

Yep, that's it. The tournament thing makes everything annoying.

Try this guys:

comment 20475 posted by Serdar on 2010-09-22 3:56 PM, 36 minutes ago     forward

you can temporarily fix this situation by adjusting "game_variables.txt" in the module's folder: just change the buffer_size variables to x10 times.

thank you.

tried that "fix" and the game is just very sluggish now however the bugs are fixed but i rather prefer a non sluggish game and older ati drivers..

Silentspy said:
tried that "fix" and the game is just very sluggish now however the bugs are fixed but i rather prefer a non sluggish game and older ati drivers..

These buffers are the same that caused RGL errors in M&B (at least in some mods for ATI cards). That's interesting.

By the way, another "fix" is to just comment away all buffer size lines like this (put a # before each line):
Code:
#new_buffer_size_dx7_regular_ffp_static  = 262144
#new_buffer_size_dx7_regular_ffp_dynamic = 262144

#new_buffer_size_regular_ffp_static 		=  32768
#new_buffer_size_regular_ffp_dynamic     =  32768
#new_buffer_size_regular_static          = 131072
#new_buffer_size_regular_dynamic         =  65536
#new_buffer_size_skinning_static         = 131072
#new_buffer_size_skinning_dynamic        =  65536
#new_buffer_size_normal_map_static       = 131072
#new_buffer_size_normal_map_dynamic      =  65536
#new_buffer_size_normal_map_skinning_static  = 131072
#new_buffer_size_normal_map_skinning_dynamic =  65536

Be sure to back up the original game_variables.txt just in case.

I tried by commenting out all buffer_sizes and the result is that I don't get the texture glitches and as far as speed is concerned it did not affect the game performance negatively.

However, I didn't test long enough to see if the game performance would decrease after more game time had passed.

Also, I'm not sure if there are other side effects that may occur, so test it at your own risk.

Edit:
After one hour and a half of Multi Player gaming, it still seems to work without any issues or slowdowns.
I think I've logged 2 hours without noticing any side effects now. All textures work normally and no distortions or flickering or anything bad has happened, so it definitely seems to be fine without the buffer_size lines in game_variables.txt.

I've been getting the same problem as stated above, with none of the fixes working. What has worked is just entering and leaving a town. After 2 tries it just fixed itself.

maniac said:
I've been getting the same problem as stated above, with none of the fixes working. What has worked is just entering and leaving a town. After 2 tries it just fixed itself.

I take it you are on 10.7 or higher drivers and have an ATI card.

The game_variables.txt is module dependent (i.e. it is located in the module folder under the module's name, for example Native).
Example of where to find it:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Native

Entering/leaving places or hitting the esc key and going back may temporarily restore textures, but as far as my experience with this bug goes, it is not in any way a permanent fix.

Taking out the buffer_size lines in game_variables.txt has so far worked for me from the moment a game is loaded or started with no performance drop and no missing textures or glitches.

I'm using ATI Catalyst 10.9 and have not tried it with 10.8 or 10.7 but I suspect the results would be the same.

There may be other settings too that need to be changed in addition to buffer_sizes. For example, I have load textures on demand turned off.

Has anyone else had a chance to test their game by taking out the buffer_size lines in game_variables.txt? If so, did it fix the graphics issues too?

Thank you for the info about the game_variables.txt in "Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Native", this has fixed my problem...

In fact by trail and error I have narrowed this down to one offending variable...

new_buffer_size_regular_static          = 131072

I hashed out changed to

new_buffer_size_regular_static          = 196608

which is 131072 * 1.5 or 131072 + 65536 so kind of fits with the other assigned values. I'm assuming this is only adding and extra 64MB of texture buffering so I cant see any major problems with newer computers.

And lower amounts than that still cause problems for me, but this instantly fixes the UI flickering problems I get straight after loading a game and the missing textures on the map, I've gone in and out of towns a few times and nothing seems broken either. All the other values I have left as they were.

Still need to test this more though :smile:

edwardecl said:
Thank you for the info about the game_variables.txt in "Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\Native", this has fixed my problem...

In fact by trail and error I have narrowed this down to one offending variable...
new_buffer_size_regular_static          = 131072
I hashed out changed to
new_buffer_size_regular_static          = 196608
which is 131072 * 1.5 or 131072 + 65536 so kind of fits with the other assigned values. I'm assuming this is only adding and extra 64MB of texture buffering so I cant see any major problems with newer computers.

And lower amounts than that still cause problems for me, but this instantly fixes the UI flickering problems I get straight after loading a game and the missing textures on the map, I've gone in and out of towns a few times and nothing seems broken either. All the other values I have left as they were.

Still need to test this more though :smile:

Glad to see that you have it working too and that you are evaluating each parameter.

I have a feeling that these buffer_size values are some kind of "optimizations" and if they are discarded (or not used) then the game assumes some hard coded default values (or skips some functions).

I'm wondering what use/value these buffer_size variables in the game_variables.txt are of, especially if the game works equally well (or better) without passing these variables into the game engine. Maybe they are there to help older generation cards handle the game or maybe some other reason.

A clarification from the developers as to what benefit these parameters have and how one can optimize them according to graphics card variations would be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom