Podcasts you listen to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello folks. I've been listening to a great deal of podcasts nowadays. Mostly about the gaming world but I'm willing to branch out as I find that bus rides are really boring without podcasts. So, this thread aims to find out what others are listening to and see if there are good ones that I'm missing out on.

Here are the podcasts I follow;

Giant Bombcast. Anyone who is interested in gaming podcasts know this one. The usual Giant Bomb crew (Jeff Gerstmann, Brad Shoemaker, Vinny Caravella, Drew Scanlon) talking about the gaming world news, what they've been playing, new releases and e-mails sent by listeners. It's always good but nowadays, you can feel the absence of Ryan Davis. :sad:

VideoGamerUK Podcast. These guys are also quite alright. Their podcasts are shorter than the Bombcast but I tune in every week to listen to what they have to say, simply because they have different tastes in gaming than people I usually listen to.

Bombin' the A.M. with Scoops and the Wolf. A shorter version of the Bombcast with Patrick Klepek and Alex Navarro of Giantbomb.

Co-Optional Podcast. The ex-TGS podcast. TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox and Dodger with a guest (sometimes). These people aren't game reviewers and their views aren't always coherent but I know them and I don't mind listening to them talking about videogames. And they're funny, sometimes. But ,as far as I can see, they don't offer a MP3 download, so listening to them on the go is a bit hard to do.

Edit: Apparently, the Co-optional podcast is on soundcloud and iTunes as a sound file only.

Box Office Bomb. This last one is a movie/TV show podcast with Matt Rorie and Alex Navarro on Giant Bomb. Used to be called the "Untitled Giant Bomb Movie Podcast". Have to be a subscriber to listen to this one, as it is a premium podcast.

I listen to the RoosterTeeth Podcast, and The Patch by the same people. Not the most up-and-up on every game or story, but they're funny and entertaining to listen to, particularly when Joel or Ryan is on.

Super Best Friend Cast, while newer, is also shaping up to be one of my favorites. Again, more because the guys are entertaining than anything else. They also have a fairly wide variety of topics, ranging from fighting games to anime to more technical game stuff.

There are others I listen to on and off, but those are the main ones that I use as background noise while I do stuff.

1) Ninja Mountain Podcast - a very spefic podcast, by fantasy gaming illustrators for illustrators. Very funny AND informative. Recently not as good or regular as it used to be though.
http://ninjamountain.blogspot.com/

2) Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff - Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws are writers working mainly in the RPG industry. They talk about a variety of topics, more or less related to RPGs, there's a lot of occultism too. It's one of those where you can't help but listen to two very intelligent people talk about stuff you know little about.
http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/

3) Caustic Soda - possibly the best podcast ever. A bunch of guys talk about one topic per episode. Their topics are very interesting, often gross or weird. They have episodes on various diseases, all kinds of violence, accidents, historical figures etc. They don't always have the most accurate information, but it's ALWAYS incredibly amusing.
http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/

4) Malevolence Podcast - primarily about the game Malevolence: Sword of Ahkranox, mostly it's Alex and our own Winter *****ing about modern games and remembering the old ones fondly. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CumQuaT1337/videos

Ha ha, necro time! The thread perfectly matches the content of my post, I make no apologies (unless I've somehow overlooked a newer, long loved thread full of posts on the subject, but this was the one I found with the search so...). I've recently started listening to a podcast for the first time ever! It's called No Such Thing As A Fish and is by some of the behind the scenes fact finders on QI, a British quiz that plucks obscure facts from various subjects and has comic panellists discuss and joke about them. I've long since tired of the show itself in truth, though I became mildly interested again when Sandi Toksvig took over from Stephen Fry (his overexposure on TV- he seemed to present loads of things on the BBC for a while- and frequently shoehorning a far-too-frank and vulgar reference to something very gay in QI began to grate on me), but I really enjoyed a TV version of this podcast a couple of years ago and only recently found out the podcast existed. It's four people presenting weird, interesting and amusing facts and discussing them for about 45 minutes:

https://audioboom.com/channel/nosuchthingasafish

Thanks for reviving this thread Dan, podcasts own because my attention span is roughly half an hour and I can put them on in the background while I play games. I have a lot of favourites.

1. Tides of History - Very nice history podcast from Patrick Wyman, the guy who also did Fall of Rome. I can't stand the Hardcore History guy and Wyman is an actual historian. It's very well produced, has interesting guests on and doesn't fall too far into the "epic history" category. It has a particular focus on the modern state and capitalism.

2. Citations Needed - a leftie podcast about the media. It's very interesting, made by two journalists who expose some of the hypocrisy and bull**** in the (US mostly) media landscape.

3. The F Plus - a humour podcast where they read stuff from obscure and weird websites in funny voices. The front man of this podcast also makes websites like the game where you have to pair wikihow images and articles.

4. HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast - Two guys go through all of Lovecraft's works, they've actually finished that a long time ago and are now going through other weird stories and particularly stuff that Lovecraft probably read himself. This is a bedtime story fave.

5. Zero Books Podcast - from the publishing house Zero Books, it's left wing analysis of culture, politics and society. It can get pretty heady for me sometimes but makes more sense as I go.

6. The Magnificast - Communist theologians talk about faith and communism.

There are also some that I've kind of dropped out of but aren't bad.

History of Egypt - Egyptologist talks about Egypt

Revolutions - Mike Duncan, guy who did the History of Rome podcast, goes through revolutions starting with the English Civil War.

Very Bad Wizards if you like both/either philosophy and/or psychology.

I haven't listened to music on the radio for at least two years now because of podcasts.

boring ass German news podcasts, anything in German actually because I'm just using that as a learning tool.

zizek collected talks

In Our Time: general culture podcast hosted by insufferable Englishman with atrocious accent

Oxford has some interesting stuff, for example a series of lectures on good old Kant : http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/kants-critique-pure-reason

Theres also interesting math & physics related stuff there, but those are video lectures mostly and you won't understand anything if you just listen to it.

Worth dropping here, since no one has mentioned it:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.

Absolutely top notch, and pretty much what you'd expect from a name like that. Engaging as ****.

No Such Thing as a Fish is pretty damn good.

Stephen Fry's "Great Leap Years" is also worth a listen. Not too many episodes.

Been getting into some soccer podcasts recently with Caught Offside being the main one.

I guess The Bugle is also alright but I don't listen to it as much anymore.

Two individuals whom I'd consider to be apart of a group I'd deem the Rockstar Academics. Basically, individuals who are able to convey copious amounts of wisdom and knowledge through a source which is full of charisma, intellect, experience, and most importantly passion. These two have captured the zeitgeist and made it their ***** for lack of a better term.
Russell Brand an English actor, comedian, author, and radio host. Lived through a turbulent life filled with lust and addiction. Has levels of articulation and vocabulary that rival the most renowned playwrights. Really personifies the idea of a Rockstar Academic. I highly recommend his podcast with Yuval Noah Harari and also the one with Darran Brown.
Blindboy(Dave Chambers) an Irish comedian, and now radio host. Much like Russell, he lived through a turbulent youth. He shows a profound understanding of many ideas literature to self-help to philosophy and he transports that into his work. I recommend his trilogy of episodes on cognitive psychology.

Good luck with the accents if you're not from Britain or Ireland. 

Two individuals whom I'd consider to be apart of a group I'd deem the Rockstar Academics. Basically, individuals who are able to convey copious amounts of wisdom and knowledge through a source which is full of charisma, intellect, experience, and most importantly passion. These two have captured the zeitgeist and made it their **** for lack of a better term.

Russell Brand an English actor, comedian, author, and radio host. Lived through a turbulent life filled with lust and addiction. Has levels of articulation and vocabulary that rival the most renowned playwrights. Really personifies the idea of a Rockstar Academic. I highly recommend his podcast with Yuval Noah Harari and also the one with Darran Brown.

Blindboy(Dave Chambers) an Irish comedian, and now radio host. Much like Russell, he lived through a turbulent youth. He shows a profound understanding of many ideas literature to self-help to philosophy and he transports that into his work. I recommend his trilogy of episodes on cognitive psychology.

Good luck with the accents if you're not from Britain or Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom