SP - UI Please streamline the UI

Users who are viewing this thread

Suggestions:

The Big Idea here is making the AI less clicky and easier to use. The smaller ideas follow:

1) Add a tab to the inventory for party gear and supplies so that we can keep it separate from vendor trash and trade goods. Big QoL improvement.

2) Add a "Food" tab so that keeping up a varied diet is less of clicky. Within the Food tab let us specify how much of each kind of food we want to keep in stock, and add a "Top off food" button that just buys enough of everything to get us to that number. If we buy more than the specified amount it goes into the general inventory as a trade good.

2A) Alternatively, ditch the whole food thing and replace it with a "Provisions Budget" slider. Now I can simulate a varied diet by paying more for food, which seems to be the point. Maybe tie it to the Stewardship skill or something.

3) Add a "Horses" tab to the inventory, divide it into Pack, Rideable, and War Horse sections and give us a tally of each so we're not constantly adding them up.

4) Let us collapse our party lists into troop types so that the list doesn't stretch forever and get hard to read. A "Ready to Promote" tab would be great too.

5) Let us buy wood and iron from the smithy (if they're available in town). Also, a sort by price tab in the smithy would be great.

6) I like how if you have a sword and you mouse over a new sword it will compare the two. Why doesn't the same thing happen if you have a sword and you mouse over an axe? It should,

7) Can we get a pop up box that lets us decide if we want to go into battle with or without a horse? I'm always forgetting to grab my horse when I'm training Athletics, and it's tough to direct a battle without the mobility of a horse.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I answered 1 and 2 here:

3) Add a "Horses" tab to the inventory, divide it into Pack, Rideable, and War Horse sections and give us a tally of each so we're not constantly adding them up.
I can bring this up internally as "adding 3 labels to inventory to indicate the num of Pack and Normal and War horses"

4) Let us collapse our party lists into troop types so that the list doesn't stretch forever and get hard to read. A "Ready to Promote" tab would be great too.
Showing numbers for troop types(like Clan screen parties tab, 5 Inf 10 Arch 10 Cav 10 Horse Arch) is being looked at. "Ready to Promote" popup is on the way for the next patch.

5) Let us buy wood and iron from the smithy (if they're available in town). Also, a sort by price tab in the smithy would be great.
I can bring up quick buy. What do you mean with sorting by price? Do you mean sorting smelting weapons by price in smithy?

6) I like how if you have a sword and you mouse over a new sword it will compare the two. Why doesn't the same thing happen if you have a sword and you mouse over an axe? It should,
Because they can/do have different stats.

7) Can we get a pop up box that lets us decide if we want to go into battle with or without a horse? I'm always forgetting to grab my horse when I'm training Athletics, and it's tough to direct a battle without the mobility of a horse.
I don't see this being used by many of the players(at least it's the first time I'm hearing something like this) and making them click another box before every single battle seems like a bad experience to me. But it can certainly be a mod for people who want it.

I don't see this being used by many of the players(at least it's the first time I'm hearing something like this) and making them click another box before every single battle seems like a bad experience to me. But it can certainly be a mod for people who want it.
people want the items chest in battles from warband though

I added some clarifying detail about the personal inventory idea. It's basically just a tab in the inventory where we can put stuff we'd like to set aside so it's easy to find and we don't accidentally sell it. So there'd be Weapons, Shields and Ranged, Horses, Trade Goods, and Personal Items.

I can bring this up internally as "adding 3 labels to inventory to indicate the num of Pack and Normal and War horses"

Cool, thanks. It would be handy not to have to count them.

Showing numbers for troop types(like Clan screen parties tab, 5 Inf 10 Arch 10 Cav 10 Horse Arch) is being looked at. "Ready to Promote" popup is on the way for the next patch.

Great, thanks.

I can bring up quick buy. What do you mean with sorting by price? Do you mean sorting smelting weapons by price in smithy?

Thanks. Yes, that's what I mean.

Because they can/do have different stats.

Sure weapons have different stats, but they also have stats in common. All weapons have speed, handling, and reach. Pierce, crush, and cut damage are all damage which makes them directly comparable even though they're not identical. Deciding whether an axe with higher damage is better than a sword with better speed and reach requires comparing the two. I already use the mouse-over to do that, but since they won't come up side by side I have to look at one, memorize the stats and then move to the other.

The current system seems set up for a game where you specialize in a certain weapon type (e.g. swords) rather than a broad category (e.g. one handed). My character can use an axe or mace just as well as a sword, so I swap between them all the time, always feeling irritated that it's such a pain to figure out if I have an upgrade.

An opportunity to pick your gear before battle would solve my horse complaint and also mostly cover the request for a quick swap to siege gear. Sure, it's a pop-up, but it's a useful one. The issue isn't so much changing the gear as remembering to change the gear before committing to the battle and losing the option to change gear. There's a lot to remember in this game. Just a simple "View Inventory? Yes/No" would be great.

Last edited:
One way to make the UI less clicky would be to add hotkeys besides ESC. At least for the most common actions. So much of this game is clicking through the same exact patterns in menus, thousands of times. Often with big mouse moves between clicks. It's really bad. For example, after every battle: take prisoners, upgrade troops, done, done, take loot, filter armor, drop for xp, filter horses, drop saddles, done. That can be 20 moves and clicks. What this really calls for is macros, but I realize that would be eccentric. But hotkeys would be a big improvement. No computer program's interaction should work this way. Bannerlord players will end up with higher incidence of RSI.

> take prisoners, upgrade troops, done, done, take loot

These already have shortcuts in place. Take all prisoners and items have keyboard shortcuts. And the troop popup should reduce the required number of clicks at least by half.

> filter armor, filter horses

These don't have shortcuts but we can take a look.

> drop for xp

I can't imagine this having a shortcut since the game can't know which armors/weapons you want to donate. You can always lock items and transfer all.

> drop saddles

I feel like this is an edge case that doesn't warrant a shortcut.

I’m sorry, I kind of mixed an example workflow together with shortcut suggestions. I think your reply would solve that scenario. Another really big one is menus like in town, and NPC dialogues. Thanks for the response.

This being shown on the party screen and party sorting would be a immense quality of life improvement. Sure there's the party screen enhancements mod but it would be nice to keep the game vanilla for when I run into a bug that needs reporting.

This being shown on the party screen and party sorting would be a immense quality of life improvement. Sure there's the party screen enhancements mod but it would be nice to keep the game vanilla for when I run into a bug that needs reporting.
This has been pushed back into the backlog since we had more important tasks that needed to be implemented in the meantime. For sorting I've explained why we haven't implemented this here:

For sorting, I'm aware the lack of sorting is felt while playing the game but until we improve the "selecting which troops will spawn in the battle size limit" process, we're probably not going to implement sorting in the party screen. Because the order of troops that are selected in the party screen determines the spawn order in the battle. That means if the player sorted ascending(low to high) by tier in the party screen, their lowest tier troops will spawn first and they will probably lose all those troops. I hope I explained what I mean with this.

Hopefully sooner rather than later on both changes, The actual numbers of your troop types on the page your actually sorting them on would be huge, sorting equally so even if you all went with a type that only sorted best to worst initially would be immense in the quality of life department.

Either way keep up the good work and thanks for chiming in (y)

Back
Top Bottom