[Please read devs/mods] Problems addressed through the modding community

Users who are viewing this thread

TLDR: Post with mods that fix bugs or broken/strange/unbalanced mechanics. This serves as a way to show people what bugs are known, why they might be happening and how people (modders) have fixed them.

Disclaimer:
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM SUGGEST YOU DOWNLOAD ALL THESE MODS TOGETHER TO 'FIX' YOUR GAME. The game is in EA, gets patched daily and thus mods carry a huge risk with them.

In this megapost I’ll try to compile some of the problems that people have been having with mechanics and also the suggestions that have been made to improve/solve these problems. I’ll also be referring to the wonderful modding community as some of them have already started fixing some of the easier/smaller problems. I’ll post the link to the nexus page for every mod that I write about so that the person in question gets credit for this and to ensure that people can see for themselves how an issue was solved by a modder.

This isn’t a complaining post, but actually a post made for the devs and mods. I hope to make this post comprehensive and extensive enough to provide some help with the community side of things and thus provide a framework for further improvement of this game that many of us love. Hopefully I can also get some people to stop complaining and start suggesting :razz: .

This mod is not even really a mod. It just replaces the video files for the intro with blank files that don’t take up any of your time. The fact that this mod has 7000+ unique downloads however shows that people care about this little tidbit. The intro sequence should be skippable. It was epic the first time I saw it, maybe even the second and third time, but it’s lost its splendour by now for me. I know nothing about coding, so please don’t take my comments as a critique of ‘”This seems super easy, just do it you lazy pricks.”, but it seems relatively easy to fix.

This mod adds a feature that was present in warband: the possibility to export your character and then import it in any game. This was a way to ensure that you could still continue playing a character and keep his/her skills even when starting a new playthrough.Problems around grindyness could become their own post, but suffice to say that with possible save corruption, restarts due to bugs, etc. a way to keep all your hard work would be very appreciated, explaining why 10 000+ people have downloaded this little mod.

In case some people have noticed: there are armors in multiplayer that you cannot get in singleplayer. According to the modder there are 200+ of these pieces. I’m unsure as to why these armor pieces have not been added in the singleplayer game, but many of us have noticed that there aren’t many end-game armor sets in the singleplayer campaign. More armor and items seems like it couldn’t be anything but a positive thing, so I wonder why these haven’t been added yet in singleplayer. Are they unbalanced? Are their costs not yet implemented for singleplayer making them impossible to trade like other items? I’d appreciate an answer as there doesn’t seem to be a real reason not to include this in the base game. Was (relatively) fixed today in 1.0.4. Thank you for the swift response devs ^^.

These mods are just like the armor enabler, but also seems to concern crossbows and range weapons. An interesting note in the description of rabidcatcake’s mod is this: “However this mod also fixes crossbows and lowers ranged weapon and armor prices so that those items spawn.” I’m not sure what to make of this honestly. Does that mean the reason end-game gear doesn’t seem to spawn (or really any expensive items besides those steppe war bows) is because of their pricing? Anyways, I’ve seen some of the items this mod adds and they look positively wonderful. Imagine: actual end-game weaponry. Anyways, this would be a great addition to the base game and I once again wonder why it hasn’t been included in the first place. Is it like I said before because of balancing issues? Or is it that prices haven’t been properly set yet and thus the items don’t spawn?

An important distinction to make is that Brandon’s mod doesn’t alter the xml file, which (according to my limited knowledge of using mods) means that it doesn’t need to overwrite the file and thus has less chance of conflicting with other mods/breaking stuff.

The 1.0.4. patch seems to have fixed some of these issues, but now prices have gone through the roof and it seems crossbows might still be unavailable? This is only based on a single recent post about this though. Another problem: there is only a single crossbow available for sale and it has a skill cap of 20, this means that you would have to choose the background option that gives you crossbow skill to actually be able to use and train your crossbow skill.

This mod is an all-round improvement that according to the modder tries to reduce the grind and improve the balance. Looking at the tweaks, I’m inclined to agree that the mod does just that, just like the 7000+ other downloaders. I’ll include the list of tweaks here, but won’t go into detail as the fixes are linked to bigger problems that could be described in their own megapost.
  • Crafting stamina: increased cap from 100 to 400 and regen from 5/hour to 10/hour
  • Doubled renown gain from battles
  • Party size bonus gained dependant on leadership and steward skill
  • Increased renown reward (from 3 to 8 ) for tournaments and gold price of 500
  • Skill experience multiplier based on a curve

This mod can also be slightly linked to the grind of skills, but is just a nice little addition that should really be in the base game. There’s no reason for skill gain not being in tournaments. I can kind of understand that you’re not in a life or death situation, but maybe just decrease the XP gain instead of disabling it? On the one hand it isn’t really the point to become a god by training in tournaments, but getting no experience seems strange. It’s a small change, but to me it seems important enough to mention. Fixed as of patch 1.0.6

According to the modder (darthKiller) this is just a ‘little modlet’ that allows more customization. I’m not sure how ‘little’ it is (as I said: no clue whatsoever about modding), but I quite like the idea. I don’t think anyone would say no to more customizability and it’s these small additions that make people truly appreciate a game.

This mod adds something that many people have been complaining about: you can take more units with you during hideout raids. Now, this mod allows different options: whole party, 50 troops or 90 troops and the author says that taking more than 100 troops may cause crashes. Personally I want to clarify something for people who haven’t played warband or just didn’t bother learning about why you can’t just attack with your whole party: it’s supposed to be a surprise attack. The reason why you wait for night to fall is also that it needs to be a surprise attack, else the bandits could see your army coming and just hide. I quite like the reason and it also adds a bit to the challenge, but there’s one big problem with this: in warband it worked because hideout size (amount of enemies) was based on your level. This meant that while you were a scrub they too would be relatively small in number and scrubby. When you’d get better, get better items and companions, etc. you’d also be able to deal with more enemies. The funny thing is, if you cheated your XP in warband with the console cheats, you could sometimes have hundreds of enemies spawn because you’d be level 3000+. A bit of a rant, but as I said: it doesn’t work this way in Bannerlord. Bandit party size is linked to your own if I’m not mistaken and bandit parties can also hide in their hideouts, meaning you could be dealing with 50+ bandits. Bannerlord only lets you take a small amount of companions for lore/RP reasons, but the amount of enemies is disproportionate in comparison. What I’d like to see is either a balance which lets you take as much strength into the hideout as there are enemies (there is a ‘power’ bar when you fight, so I’d propose letting you take as many troops and as good quality of troops as that bar allows while staying at/near the middle) or just a flat out cap that is higher than it is now. 20-30 seems like a balanced number, certainly taking into consideration the difference in quality between bandits and your own troops.

It seems that in singleplayer it is impossible to craft one handed axes, aone handed maces, two handed axes, two handed maces and throwing axes. The reason for this seems to be that for these items you can only choose 4 ‘parts’ to craft, while you need 4 to be able to make an item. There also seems to be yet again multiplayer only parts that are not craftable in singleplayer. Once again: what’s the reason? Was fixed today in 1.0.4. Thank you for the swift response devs ^^.

Anyone who’s played the game has had the relatively annoying experience of having to see a loading screen just to talk to some bandits that you are utterly going to murder within 10 seconds some time later. This loading screen is relatively useless for bandits and while it pains me to spit on the work of some poor dev who actually enabled you to see the bandits face to face and tell them to die directly, the loading screen is a bit needless, at least for bandit encounters that don’t have anything special about them. It’s more of a personal thing to see this as a ‘problem’ and it’s nowhere near vital, but at least 4000 people cared enough to download the mod, so maybe more people might care now that they know about its existence.

This mod isn’t vital, but I like the idea behind it and think that many people would agree that it’s a great concept. I’ve seen some rumbling about the eight factions only having 6 troop trees and kind of agree. It would be nice to at least have some kind of difference between the empire factions, even if those differences are minimal. I quite like the idea of this mod where the western empire, due to having to deal with Vlandian cavalry, has a more spear-focused roster. This seems logical, follows an in-game lore reason and adds a bit of variation in the game. It isn’t something vital that needs to be fixed, but it would be a welcome addition to the base game.

This mod is a vital bugfix and if you look at the mod page and the changes the mod made, you too will be of that opinion. Some troops have incredibly wrong skills (bow skill instead of crossbow skill for crossbow units for example) and should really be fixed. This doesn’t seem that difficult to change (limited mod knowledge) and would really add quite a bit of balance in my opinion.

“Simple mod, when a horse becomes lame, it has no penalties to riding speed or price. It’s still listed as lame, but it will not matter” The description says enough. This feature was in warband and seems to have been meant to be implemented (as the tag ‘lame’ exists), but seems to be broken.

I don’t think this is a fitting fix as it gets rid of the importance of the civilian outfit, which was added for a reason. It is however true that civilian outfits are too bad to really be usable. I challenge everyone reading this to go in an alley and try fighting the thugs there. You can probably do it, but it’ll be a hard fought battle. I was only ever able to take a single companion walking with me, which is also part of the problem. Either you make civilian outfits better/accept more heavy armor like some capes/cloaks and gambeson-tier armor or you let more than one companion follow the player around. A kind commentor told me you can just talk to companions inside the city and ask them to gather with you. This fixes any problem I have with civilian outfits honestly. More options would be fun, but not vital. Maybe even allow two handed weapons? Polearms seem a bit overkill, but a battleaxe is still permissible I’d say. Purely my own opinion, but I’d like people to actually try fighting in civilian clothes a couple of times just to have them see how annoying it can be when you know you’ve got plate mail and a two handed axe when you’re fighting outside of a town.

Seems there’s a bug where some quests have a negative timer. I’ve not yet had this bug, but 2000 people downloaded this, so it must be a thing.

This seems to be linked to the main questline. I won’t spoil anything, but it seems a quest might be bugged. Seems like something in need of a vital fix.

It was also noted in the unit stats fix mod that forest bandits might be a bit too skilled for their level (the modder says they’re 50% stronger than some other lvl 21 units). The fact that a dedicated mod has come out for this might suggest that a closer look needs to be taken at our foresty friends. I personally haven’t had giant issues with them, but then again, I tend to just avoid forest bandits as they’re relatively strong…

These are all companion mods and I’d like to use these to address an issue: companions are kind of broken. Those of us who’ve played a couple of hours can count the times our companions have levelled on a single hand, maybe two if you somehow focused on leveling them? Anyways: they level incredibly slowly. Now, if companions had decent and varied skills that wouldn’t be too bad, but they’re all the same: barebones with fighter skills. There’s the odd medic or rogue which might be useful for party skills, but I’ve yet to find a decent trader or engineer or steward. In warband you’d have different companions of different background that you could gear and train for different roles. I haven’t been able to do that in Bannerlord and I’ve read posts of people with the same complaint. It would be nice to have more variety to fill more niche roles. Skill progression also needs to be changed, but honestly that’s not only concerning companions.

This mods adds back a much-requested feature that was available in warband. There have been a lot of complaints about the fact that this feature hasn’t been implemented in Bannerlord yet and it seems a modder was able to. Adding this as an optional feature again would be a great addition to the game. Not everybody wants to ‘git gud’ (though personally I am one of those people haha).

This mod can be linked to the previous item enabler that did something similar. I wanted to once again mention this though as this is one of the problems with the new economy that is being attempted in Bannerlord. It is also nice that this particular mod puts crossbows in both the Empire and Vlandia, instead of just the Empire (or everywhere) like with the item enabler.

Just like with the banner mods, this adds more options, and that’s never a bad thing in my opinion. The only possible problem I see is the hitbox due to how small you can make yourself. I haven’t done any tests yet, but I assume the hitbox will be modified if you decide to make yourself a midget/giant. Possible also reach.

According to this mod the new patch 1.0.4. has broken prisoner recruitment for tier 5 and 6 units. I’m not sure whether its intended to be able to recruit tier 5 or 6 units in the base game (as it might be a tad OP), but if it is: this is a fix for it.

Some of the names of the armors added in the game with the 1.0.4. patch haven’t been changed and thus might sound a bit weird (examplegiven by mod: ‘empire_crown’ has been changed by the mod to ‘Imperial Crown’). It’s a small thing, but it’s these details that make a great game even better.

It seems that the healthy scout and peak form perks do not add the health they should add properly. I’ve seen many complaints about perks not working or being a bit weird, but this one is the only one I’ve found a mod for.

Another attempt to fix/balance the smithing system. It is rather strange that smithing stamina only gets regened while staying at a town and makes it almost impossible to level your smithing AND do something else. Taking into consideration the atrociously slow leveling it seems better to have stamina regen even outside of resting at towns.

Many of the in-game perks are broken. This mod is an attempt to fix those belonging to the Steward skill. Currently only fixes a couple of the perks, but is a work in progress.

It would be rather stupid to 'lock' a weapon, meaning you think that for some reason it's special and should be locked, only to accidentally melt it down.

An attempt to fix the 'Combat Tips' and 'Raise the Meek' perks to match the warband style of training. It seems that currently only a single unit gets the XP, which means that whether you have 1 recruit or a stack of 20 recruits, there will only be a single recruit getting a small amount of exp. This makes the perk practically useless and means that it would take ages to even train a single unit. This should be fixed as soon as possible.

Currently you lose -20 relations with a faction when you leave as a mercenary. In Warband there was a, logical, mechanic where being a mercenary was on a monthly contractual basis and you could choose to renew or terminate your contract with a faction every month. This should certainly be added back as there is not reason to become a mercenary in Bannerlord at the moment. You are almost forced to either upgrade to a vassal or just eat the relations loss.

It seems that the falx animation is bugged. Even when you've drawn your falx, it'll still show as if it were stuck/holstered to your back. This little mod fixes that inconsistency. Fixed as of patch 1.0.6

fixes the Mounted Archer, Bow Expert, Crossbow Cavalry, and Crossbow Expert perks.

This mod means that the cheapest horses/warhorses will be chosen to upgrade units first. This seems like a logical feature to me and could certainly be implemented in the base game.

It seems this person is trying to fix as many issues as he can before the devs Q&A gets to them in an effort to help. In his/her own words:
"This is going to be a mod that just fixes up some things in Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord before the Devs & QA team can get to them.
Hopefully we can incorporate various community fixes together in one mod and enable other mods to behave better together. ". Currently tries to fix some perks. The disciplinarian perk was fixed with patch 1.0.6, but other perks might still need fixing.

It seems that sometimes companions will get stuck when they have been sent it. I've seen this issue being brought up on the forums multiple times and hope that this issue can be fixed asap.

While I myself never noticed this, it seems that there is no max cap on the influence of clans. That means that in the end well-placed clans could get ridiculous amounts of influence, ensuring they would never need to worry about influence ever again. The AI doesn't seem to use influence all that much, but having some kind of cap seems reasonable. Honestly I think the cap of 5000 might even be a bit high, but the balancing of the base game will be for the devs to decide I suppose.

Last edited:
I was only ever able to take a single companion walking with me, which is also part of the problem. Either you make civilian outfits better/accept more heavy armor like some capes/cloaks and gambeson-tier armor or you let more than one companion follow the player around.

You can get all your companions to follow you in town. Just talk to whichever companion is already following you and you will have an option to tell that companion to "Gather up the other companions and come back." Your companion will then run off and gather up all your other companions wherever they may be in the city and come back to you. Then if you go start a fight with a gang you'll have a larger party to do so. :smile:

You can get all your companions to follow you in town. Just talk to whichever companion is already following you and you will have an option to tell that companion to "Gather up the other companions and come back." Your companion will then run off and gather up all your other companions wherever they may be in the city and come back to you. Then if you go start a fight with a gang you'll have a larger party to do so. :smile:
Ah, thanks, didn't know that. I'll remove that part then. If that's the case, the civilian armour thing might not be needed.

I've decided to just update this post as we go to continue on with the whole 'megapost with potential fixes' idea to hopefully give a nice overview of what the community finds problematic and how those problems could be/have been fixed through modding.

Update for today at 15:26 CEST:

Autoblocker by Menthus: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/128

Regional crossbow and bow fixes by Squiddy: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/120

Detailed character creation by PoPoWanObi: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/118

Recruitable by Stenella: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/112

Fixed armor names by El Gandalfo: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/99

Healthy scout (scouting) and peak form (athletics) perk hp fix by SarcFa: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/97

The most important fixes imho are the exp for tournaments and training fights. Don't get why they're no longer a thing.
They would certainly make the grind more tolerable for combat skills and add some value to both tournaments and training fights (which are kind of useless right now). Many of these fixes should be relatively easy to implement though, so I'm hoping next week they'll start at least fixing unit stats and some perks.

They would certainly make the grind more tolerable for combat skills and add some value to both tournaments and training fights (which are kind of useless right now). Many of these fixes should be relatively easy to implement though, so I'm hoping next week they'll start at least fixing unit stats and some perks.

Chances are that it was harder to disable EXP in certain scenes than it would have been to simply not do that.

Very good post thank you!
What really puzzles me is how is it possible that such obvious bugs were not detected.
Anybody playing for a few hours would realize it. For some, like the item prices or spawning, it's just as easy as going in a shop and see....why hasn't it been done?
I mean, I am not talking of little subtle bugs and glitches that only a mass testing (like we are doing) can detect, here we are talking about main deals right in the face....I am puzzled:smile:

In case some people have noticed: there are armors in multiplayer that you cannot get in singleplayer. According to the modder there are 200+ of these pieces. I’m unsure as to why these armor pieces have not been added in the singleplayer game, but many of us have noticed that there aren’t many end-game armor sets in the singleplayer campaign. More armor and items seems like it couldn’t be anything but a positive thing, so I wonder why these haven’t been added yet in singleplayer. Are they unbalanced? Are their costs not yet implemented for singleplayer making them impossible to trade like other items? I’d appreciate an answer as there doesn’t seem to be a real reason not to include this in the base game. Was (relatively) fixed today in 1.0.4. Thank you for the swift response devs ^^.

I would like to add that certain armour pieces seem to have vanished completely following Taleworlds fix in 1.0.4. I've only played Sturgia so far so I've mostly visited their settlements, and there's numerous helmets and chest pieces that seem to have gone missing following 1.0.4

Chances are that it was harder to disable EXP in certain scenes than it would have been to simply not do that.
Could certainly be the case. As I said in the post, I have 0 modding knowledge, so though many of these mods seem relatively simple to implement to me, they might not be all that easy in the end. Still, if it's a bit harder they can just do it later I suppose, I'm not impatient.

Very good post thank you!
What really puzzles me is how is it possible that such obvious bugs were not detected.
Anybody playing for a few hours would realize it. For some, like the item prices or spawning, it's just as easy as going in a shop and see....why hasn't it been done?
I mean, I am not talking of little subtle bugs and glitches that only a mass testing (like we are doing) can detect, here we are talking about main deals right in the face....I am puzzled:smile:
I doubt that the singleplayer campaign was truly tested. It's sad, but it is what it is I guess. Hopefully the modders and community can help the devs find and fix these small issues as soon as possible.

I would like to add that certain armour pieces seem to have vanished completely following Taleworlds fix in 1.0.4. I've only played Sturgia so far so I've mostly visited their settlements, and there's numerous helmets and chest pieces that seem to have gone missing following 1.0.4
Are you certain that they have vanished or are they just not being sold? The difference is important, but not that easy to find out at a glance. I think that due to how the economy is broken, some items just have a very low chance of appearing. It's the same deal as with crossbows I think. There are many more crossbows in the game than the (only) one that is available in shops, but due to the economy they just don't appear. More than an item fix, this would need to be addressed in an economy overhaul or at least a drastic change. Due to how difficult it would be to balance all of these changes and the intricacy of the economy system, I doubt we'll see a full fix any time soon. Still, we can only hope.

In that case, you may be right and alot of items are not spawning due to bad economy. But what determines what is being spawned then? Because some of the items I'm talking about are not the top-tier equipment, top-tier equipment is spawning, but some of the (in my opinion better looking) items are not.

Some of these items are bafflingly obvious. Troop skills being so off is... Not something that's hard to notice or correct.

That doesn't give me the best of feelings for the future (I'm of the opinion such obvious bugs aren't what EA is for), but I'm willing to give TaleWorlds the benefit of the doubt.

I just discovered that you need a Smithy in a town in order for the town to produce the highest levels of weapons and armour. If you hold your mouse over the icon of workshops in a town, you'll see what it produces.

Update monday 6th of April 20:03 CEST (patch 1.0.6):

6. Tournament XP Enabler by Brandon: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/27 FIXED

30. Falx Fixer by Ryank516: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/159 FIXED

19b. Auto block revival by demolish: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/203

19c. Autoblocker enhanced by Erik9631: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/187

31. Fix mounted bow and crossbow perks by Trichotillomania: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/215

32. Frugal Cavalry by PyroKinesis: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/196

33. Community Patch by Q: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/186

34. Fix holding companion by Hellivium: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/193

35. Capmaxclaninfluence by Ole Jakob Schjoeth: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/185

I just discovered that you need a Smithy in a town in order for the town to produce the highest levels of weapons and armour. If you hold your mouse over the icon of workshops in a town, you'll see what it produces.
I thought it might indeed work like that. Have you noticed whether they also make crossbows? I still think the broken economy might get it out of whack, but I suppose that people looking for high end gear will have to look for towns with smithies.

Back
Top Bottom