SP - General Please make a new system for making babies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadheras

Squire
This system can REALLY need some rework. Hanging around in a town for days and waiting for RNG Jesus is not a good way. Then reload a save and try again (and again, and again, and again). There is battles to be had and wars to be won. Sitting idle waiting to be blessed by RNG Jesus is not imersive or good gameplay..

If you play for a good while and your clan end up with multiple couples and you want to them all to get more additions to the clan. It's not very usefull to park clan members in a town and wait for something to happen, if the clan members in question also leaders of companion parties.

You don't need to use it, it might save some playtime, that's all.
Actually I never used it, today I just waited 46 days until wife got pregnant. No problem. She had 1.08% chance per day, pretty normal waiting time.

You don't need to use it, it might save some playtime, that's all.
Actually I never used it, today I just waited 46 days until wife got pregnant. No problem. She had 1.08% chance per day, pretty normal waiting time.

Maybe if a year in Bannerlord was 365 days, but its not.. its 120 days...

If in rl, you spent that time bone your wife/gf for that time period... you would found out... one of you had fertility problems, or she was knocked up long before...

Problem is.... there is battles to be had and wars to be won. Sit idde for almost half a year in the game and wait for something to pop off is very bad game mechancis... And if you save scum, RNG Jesus could bless you with a couple days waiting time if you lucky. Which also is a horrible way to play around it.

Do you know the number of the current children lessen the chance for conceiving? Even when the wife is 33 years old she has 6% chance per day for her firstborn, almost 10% when both have the first charm perk increasing the fertility. A 18 year old can have as much as 20% per day. It's a very good system, the game won't be overwhelmed with 10 children per family, and you don't need to see as 50% of the kids die due to illnesses which was a reality in real life before the vaccinations and better health care.

Do you know the number of the current children lessen the chance for conceiving? Even when the wife is 33 years old she has 6% chance per day for her firstborn, almost 10% when both have the first charm perk increasing the fertility. A 18 year old can have as much as 20% per day. It's a very good system, the game won't be overwhelmed with 10 children per family, and you don't need to see as 50% of the kids die due to illnesses which was a reality in real life before the vaccinations and better health care.

Looking around at other clans in other kingdoms.... Lot of elderly unmarried people, hardly any kids... With some exceptions of some clans that have a lot of members and children. I don't say this is working as intended.

Looking around at other clans in other kingdoms.... Lot of elderly unmarried people, hardly any kids... With some exceptions of some clans that have a lot of members and children. I don't say this is working as intended.
The game must always keep some people unmarried in all factions to allow the player to marry anytime. And it works fine.

They just need to implement a dialogue that allows the player to spend some wine and bread on their partner to 'woo' them. Maybe throw in a quest to meet them at a scenic location, hit the taverns or do some mischief together. Perhaps make it a preference dependant upon their partners character trait and their sex, a male character should be wooed differently than a female one. On success initiate an RNG event that takes into account partner relationship, age and previous pregnancies.

Voila, pregnancies fixed.

They just need to implement a dialogue that allows the player to spend some wine and bread on their partner to 'woo' them. Maybe throw in a quest to meet them at a scenic location, hit the taverns or do some mischief together. Perhaps make it a preference dependant upon their partners character trait and their sex, a male character should be wooed differently than a female one. On success initiate an RNG event that takes into account partner relationship, age and previous pregnancies.

Crusader Kings did this fair enough. But it kinda need to work for all clans in the game, not just for the player. If you really play a long game and end up with grandkids what not. You might run into issues get them hitched because not enough suitable unmarried to go around. There is also a issue when you promote a companion as a lord. It spawn a tier 1 clan with 3 dudes in it and no wifes... I even had a case where my newly created companion clan, was left with 1 dude, as female rulers did marry the 2 unmarried dudes that was crated with the new clan.

Crusader Kings did this fair enough. But it kinda need to work for all clans in the game, not just for the player. If you really play a long game and end up with grandkids what not. You might run into issues get them hitched because not enough suitable unmarried to go around. There is also a issue when you promote a companion as a lord. It spawn a tier 1 clan with 3 dudes in it and no wifes... I even had a case where my newly created companion clan, was left with 1 dude, as female rulers did marry the 2 unmarried dudes that was crated with the new clan.
I see you. But I'm mostly concerned about how the marriage/birth mechanic is just uninteresting and boring. NPC side it's always going to be just pure RNG, having the game run hundreds of subroutines in order to increase the simulation depth is both expensive, CPU wise, and ultimately doesn't have a meaningful impact on player experience.

I think a fix for marriage availability will be to allow the player to woo and marry non-noble characters. That could range from town notables to companions. Heck, even having a conversation chain with townspeople that could lead to them developing a unique identity would be interesting.

Granting peerage needs some rework though. I think having a system where low-tier clans could be granted villages instead of towns/castles and wouldn't be able to hold Towns/Castles, similar to baronies, and having them be sub-vassals of a higher tier clan would be interesting. Maybe instead of a numeric tier system have titles associated with the tier instead such as baron, count, duke etc.

PS: And spawn females in new clans ofc. Get some angry rebel ladies going.

Last edited:
I have noticed that when the original clan leader dies, and the original 'available to marry' NPC is married off, it can be impossible to initiate the "I suggest alliance through marriage..." with the new (substitute) clan leader. -> I had this recently when Adram (original clan leader) had died, and Arwa (original marriage option) was already married, the game kicked an Arwa duplicate clan member, but it was not possible to initiate the marriage alliance conversation with the new clan leader (Adram's son Tariq). Not sure if it is a bug, or because we were not same faction (relation was in the positives) but irritating none the less.
My poor younger brother, it has been a struggle to get the bloke married.

I see you. But I'm mostly concerned about how the marriage/birth mechanic is just uninteresting and boring. NPC side it's always going to be just pure RNG, having the game run hundreds of subroutines in order to increase the simulation depth is both expensive, CPU wise, and ultimately doesn't have a meaningful impact on player experience.

That shouldn't really be much of a issue. Take a game such as Crusader Kings. It got thousands of npc's that is getting married, dying, given birth, re-marrying etc and it doesn't require some super computer to keep track of it. So doubt that part of the game is much of a resource hog.

Me look at a code? NEVER. Somebody looked at it and said it doesn't stack if both partners have the perk, only one is needed. That was after it was added, so some months have passed, but I don't think I saw any patch notes saying it changed.

Doesn't matter how fertile you are if your partner is infertile.... So rather.... dubious system. Also, if the chance is abysmal to start with then a increased chance doesn't necessary mean much at all... If you have a 2% chance to start with, and you get a increase of 30% or what it is. It's not a 30% of 100, its 30% increase of those 2%

Quite funny really. You have clans that die out because of old age, and then you have clans that die out because only toddlers and kids remain... Maybe they should look into adoption too -)

That shouldn't really be much of a issue. Take a game such as Crusader Kings. It got thousands of npc's that is getting married, dying, given birth, re-marrying etc and it doesn't require some super computer to keep track of it. So doubt that part of the game is much of a resource hog.
They've done it really well but Paradox has decades worth of experience creating in-depth simulations. You can fairly easily create an RNG mechanic that is a facsimile of an in-depth simulation, maybe a tick for every hour two NPC's spend time in the same location/army.

Don't get me wrong, I think what you want is absolutely possible but what remains a question is whether TW has the will to do it or whether the staff tasked with handling and implementing the Sandbox Model are skilled enough to achieve it.

I am late to this discussion. I was thinking about something like this yesterday. Instead of just waiting for something to happen, it occurred to me that being in a settlement, at the throne window maybe, the option to "spend some warm time with your partner". The game advances automatically for 2 hours and you get a message indicating what activity they had: they chatted, drank, walked around the city, got romantic, argued over differences, etc. If the activity ended in sex, it counts as meeting in a settlement and the next day there may or may not be a pregnancy. It does not give the security of pregnancy, but if I tried it

fun stories to read, even somewhat erotic, could be generated, with results depending on the traits of both characters.

Back
Top Bottom