SP - General Please improve the totally sucky party/army AI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fnts

Recruit
Listing examples of extremely retarded AI, which makes the game just baby easy. Obviously some ppl might like it, but if you want to actually play more challenging game, while not having your difficulty raised by some unnatural conditions its currently impossible.

1) Enemy clans parties coming to raid your lands with small, weak parties, while you patrol your land with much stronger party.
So they get almost nothing from raids, because they get defeated very fast. Player's losses on each such encounter are negligible. Player gets lots of loot. So quickly this way I earned like 1 million, from mostly just defending my lands. Raiding clan's kingdom looses gathering strong army possibility as their clan parties cannot grow stronger.
Solution - AI learns that raiding particular area makes no sense, especially with weak parties. That it gives more gain to the defender (like human player) then to their kingdom.

2) Army target picking. Common case two armies passing each other instead of trying to battle the enemy. Doesn't matter if armies are more-less equal strength or not. If they're equal its typically better to risk battle then to let army inside your territories. If one army is stronger it obviously should try to induce a battle, before continuing into enemy territory.

3) Two armies of same kingdom moving close together in enemy territory, but not that close that they can aid themselves in battle if such occurs. Obviously they should in 95% merge, to avoid being picked one by one by a stronger enemy army. They can go separate ways e.g. to siege different fiefs, if they're 99% sure that enemy cannot gather strong army in short time. For example when they already defeated lots of enemy parties and/or armies.

4) Parties being extremely selfish or lack of basic temporary grouping when needed. For example. My party 300 soldiers. 4 enemy parties each 100 soldiers nearby, so everyone sees each other. Its currently no problem to pick them one by one. In such cases they should stick together. Obviously parties of the same kingdom that are not so close to each other, dont need to cooperate or even shouldn't, because that is what armies are for. But such obvious cases like I described should be handled properly and parties should temporarily group until the threat is gone. Then with my party I could either risk a tough battle or run away to nearest fortification. In either case it disturbs me seriously - either loosing battle or having heavy casualties or being blocked in a fief.

That also counts for armies, so similar to point 3). Two small armies should support each other if bigger enemy army is close.

5) During sieges. AI does not use function "move to reserve". So they can't first build 4 shooting siege machines and then open fire instead of getting one siege machine destroyed before next one building is finished. Seriously guys? How long have you been working on this game? No further comment needed.

Not mentioning some minor issues like not calculating cohesion left versus distance to target, not estimating if the food will suffice e.g.

1) Enemy clans parties coming to raid your lands with small, weak parties, while you patrol your land with much stronger party.
So they get almost nothing from raids, because they get defeated very fast. Player's losses on each such encounter are negligible. Player gets lots of loot. So quickly this way I earned like 1 million, from mostly just defending my lands. Raiding clan's kingdom looses gathering strong army possibility as their clan parties cannot grow stronger.
Solution - AI learns that raiding particular area makes no sense, especially with weak parties. That it gives more gain to the defender (like human player) then to their kingdom.

The remedy for this I think is rather to change the economy model - Less gold from loot and more expensive elite troops. Patruling your single castle with an elite party should hold no economy. Ofcource Learning AI where it is worth looting and not is also a good thing but I think it´s secondary in this case.

4) Parties being extremely selfish or lack of basic temporary grouping when needed. For example. My party 300 soldiers. 4 enemy parties each 100 soldiers nearby, so everyone sees each other. Its currently no problem to pick them one by one. In such cases they should stick together. Obviously parties of the same kingdom that are not so close to each other, dont need to cooperate or even shouldn't, because that is what armies are for. But such obvious cases like I described should be handled properly and parties should temporarily group until the threat is gone. Then with my party I could either risk a tough battle or run away to nearest fortification. In either case it disturbs me seriously - either loosing battle or having heavy casualties or being blocked in a fief.

I think AI parties are actually quite good at this - swarming around an enemy army, waiting for the odds to be in their favor, then attack, bringing every other allied party to the field. if they ar Kuzhait(or of other reasons much faster than your army), you get no time to react. I don't think a party should be able to regroup from "Running from enemy army" to "Following enemy army" that quick, from an instant to another. And in warband, neaby parties with status "Running from ..." did not join a battle, if I remember correctly. I don't know what´s correct but UI needs to tell and predict who CAN join.

Back
Top Bottom