Please fix the siege tower climbing issue

Users who are viewing this thread

The seiging battle experience is horrible
one siege tower, three ladders, only one is used, soldiers just gather together and dont' know what to do

you have to keep commanding "every one ,charge", these these bastards will climb the ladders one by one

It's on purpose, to slow down sieges, To give defenders a chance to defend.
really?? I think it so heavily disadvantage for attackers, you have to use auto-resolve siege battle, otherwise a 400+ men town can easily destroy your 1200+ men army, well because as attacker AI really sucks, and enemy just keep killing you, standing there doing nothing

this is a bug to fix, not a features that it supposed to be

It is definitely a bug! However, the attackers have it easy in live battles compared to the simulation.

At this point, the only way they are going to fix it is to either grant AI flying capabilities or the ability to pass through solid matter. lol

the ladder issue was present in Warband
Since when?

The warband was working fine and there were no issues present about ladders. If you are referring to your soldiers getting butchered by one two-handed who stands on the walls as an issue, then it's something else.

Although in Warband you had only one ladder ( which even meme'd) but even after people added a second ladder it was working fine ( in this mod )
NHYyMo.jpg

D4s82z.jpg
Only difference is, everything was basically a ramp in Warband and it was creating a "pathway" to AI that they can walk.

Since when?

The warband was working fine and there were no issues present about ladders. If you are referring to your soldiers getting butchered by one two-handed who stands on the walls as an issue, then it's something else.

Although in Warband you had only one ladder ( which even meme'd) but even after people added a second ladder it was working fine ( in this mod )
NHYyMo.jpg

D4s82z.jpg
Only difference is, everything was basically a ramp in Warband and it was creating a "pathway" to AI that they can walk.

I mean in (vanilla) Warband, they'd occasionally get stuck on ladders. It wasn't nearly as bad as Bannerlord, but it happened to me enough times that I noticed it. Was I the only one that experienced that?

What bothers me more than the times where only one of the 3 is in use is the times when someone gets to the top, changes their mind, and starts climbing back down.

I've lost count of how many of my own troops I have shot in the back for that.

Yes, I did jest ... BUT in reality it was costly to attack fortified settlements - 2:1 casualties or 3:1 on level 3 walls, would be realistic. How they achieve this with everything setup at siege start, I don't know ??? herd soldiers at ladders ??? :grin:

Actually, in 1.6.2, I haven't noticed this problem, attackers seem to go up multiple ladders.

Defenders need to spawn on the walls from the beginning would help the defenses. I think currently they spawn below and have to run up at the start of the battle

I mean in (vanilla) Warband, they'd occasionally get stuck on ladders. It wasn't nearly as bad as Bannerlord, but it happened to me enough times that I noticed it. Was I the only one that experienced that?
I honestly don't remember I ever experience that or perhaps it was so slight that I never bother with it as I did in Bannerlord. Just because I didn't doesn't mean it wasn't there, a quick search yielded some results that they had this issue in certain locations (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/soldiers-stuck-at-ladder-in-siege-event.105613/ ) in the April 2010 version of Warband ( which is initial I guess since it launched on March 30 )
Perhaps follow-up updates fixed the issue. However, being able to actually "control" your troops might also be the reason why I never notice that in Warband because I give commands quite frequently and this probably changed AI behavior. In Bannerlord they are just doing random stuff and ignoring you as commander.

I honestly don't remember I ever experience that or perhaps it was so slight that I never bother with it as I did in Bannerlord. Just because I didn't doesn't mean it wasn't there, a quick search yielded some results that they had this issue in certain locations (https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/soldiers-stuck-at-ladder-in-siege-event.105613/ ) in the April 2010 version of Warband ( which is initial I guess since it launched on March 30 )
Perhaps follow-up updates fixed the issue. However, being able to actually "control" your troops might also be the reason why I never notice that in Warband because I give commands quite frequently and this probably changed AI behavior. In Bannerlord they are just doing random stuff and ignoring you as commander.

Ah, I see. That's actually one of the places the issue happened to me the most, so maybe it was fixed but something broke it again later? And I actually never thought about that difference before, that could be it, but I feel like the AI in Bannerlord is also just incredibly dumb so it makes the situation even worse. Not being able to control really dumb AI will undoubtedly create these problems. :lol:

Ah, I see. That's actually one of the places the issue happened to me the most, so maybe it was fixed but something broke it again later? And I actually never thought about that difference before, that could be it, but I feel like the AI in Bannerlord is also just incredibly dumb so it makes the situation even worse. Not being able to control really dumb AI will undoubtedly create these problems. :lol:
I didn't check AI side of sieges or battles. Someone with more knowledge can shed a light on that but I think the main reason why they are acting dumb is "Event signalling" and "queueing" logic messed up in Bannerlord.

In Warband, by design, sieges were easier. Everything was a ramp. And this issue I showed in Reyvadin was most likely happening because of poor pathfinding that happened because of navigation meshes were broken or misplaced. This could be fixed by simply changing some structures in the town. As far as AI concern, attacking someone on the walls wasn't so different than attacking someone in an open field because in both cases it's going from point A to B without using any tool.
In siege towers, they had "goals" and they were always standing next to siege tower until siege tower signals troop AI that "everything is done and deployed" and then they were simply attacking like normal soldiers in a ramp-ladder case.
There was no battering ram or whatsoever, so it was either siege tower or ladders in Warband. Hence this also removes issues like "stupid AI waits behind gates while my troops already took over the walls" - because in Warband, all they have to hold is walls.

And since initially queue logic was messed up in Bannerlord, it was causing troops to do nothing and/or not being able to lift ladders up. I think in 1.6.1 this ladder queue issue is now resolved but as OP shows siege tower issue still stands. My wild guess is that AI treats siege tower as a single entity and that's why it thinks as if it's a normal ladder while in fact its a tower with 3 ladders . I think in a couple of updates they can fix this too. They should still find a proper signalling logic for those units waiting behind the gate when walls are taken over though.

Yeah this needs to be fixed before they do anything else. It is a big % of the player gameplay and one of the most exciting experience ruined by a long living bug. I hope they address this asap.

Back
Top Bottom