please equalize cavalry speeds (relative to armor type)

Users who are viewing this thread

I think that standardizing movement speeds between cavalry of similar armor types(full,half, and no armor) would improve gameplay by having equal opportunities to engage in cavalry fights.

Currently some factions have very slow cavalry which get slaughtered by the faster cavalry of the better factions like the Aserai(on large open maps).

Asymmetrical game design is very hard to do well and I believe having cavalry be the same speed would encourage better cavalry gameplay rather then having the faster cavalry run away from the slower cavalry forever.

If you want to have some differentiation to expedite cavalry engagements, at least make horses that have full armor run slower then half armored horses and half armored horses run slower then unarmored horses.

Having horse speed be affected by the weight of the rider would be a nice addition too (a heavily armored rider on a unarmored horse should be slower then a lightly armored rider on a unarmored horse).

Last edited:
Somehow this was never an issue on Warband (have to admit that the horse choice in warband was better, more speed and be vulnerable (courser), combination (hunter), slow but armoured (war horse/charger)) and the only one I have ever heard about it in Bannerlord is you. No one in the competitive scene really made a big deal out of it as there are more pressing massive issues and plays just fine.

Somehow this was never an issue on Warband (have to admit that the horse choice in warband was better, more speed and be vulnerable (courser), combination (hunter), slow but armoured (war horse/charger)) and the only one I have ever heard about it in Bannerlord is you. No one in the competitive scene really made a big deal out of it as there are more pressing massive issues and plays just fine.
Warband did so many things right, what massive issues are you referencing to(I know insta-couching)?

The small advantage of having a faster/better cavalry is more visible in the larger scale battles with a hundred+ players. As seen in the usual aserai vs anyone else 5-0 steamroll that usually happens on open maps

Well, you know. The heavy horse classes are tankier and slower than the light ones in this game too, with some variety in choice with horse tankiness/speed inside the classes.

Well, I don't know, I think the horses are fine now. In addition to speed and armor, there are also other changing parameters.
Having horse speed be affected by the weight of the rider would be a nice addition too (a heavily armored rider on a unarmored horse should be slower then a lightly armored rider on a unarmored horse).
and it would be a really nice, but not very tangible change.

Warband did so many things right, what massive issues are you referencing to(I know insta-couching)?

The small advantage of having a faster/better cavalry is more visible in the larger scale battles with a hundred+ players. As seen in the usual aserai vs anyone else 5-0 steamroll that usually happens on open maps
Instacouching isn't a big issue afaik due to it only being animation that is instantaneous but the hitbox doesn't exist until the lance is 'seated'. Meaning all the way down.
edit; The hitbox is just delayed, making it much slower than it used to be.

Last edited:
The difference between the horses is problematic because you have no way of knowing what horse it is until its too late, hell even then you wont know.
Perks screwed this up pretty bad, lets take Cataphract as an example.
Charger horse perk gives you the Imperial Charger, which has 173 speed, 26 armor, 295 hp and 10 charge damage.
Flanker perk gives you the War courser, 190 speed, 16 armor, 290 hp and 6 charge damage.
Improved armor atleast changes the look of the rider slightly, but with skins, thats gonna be difficult to really pay attention to, and the change is more or less irrelevant.

So if I'm an archer and a Cataphract is barreling down on me, the change in speed is really important. Because of how slow the shooting is, I might get trapped because I simply cant tell what horse the cav is using, even if I know all the values, they look literally identical. Charge speed matters, sometimes you know if you can take a bump or if it'll kill you, obviously if the charge damage is doubled for certain horses, you cant know if you'll survive it or not. Horse armor doesnt matter as much (it still does but you know..) and atleast between the Catapract perks the health of the horse is generally the same, only a difference of 5, but if you contrast that to Aserai, their Mamluke cavs only have 265 health maximum.

Yeah the difference in health, and speed between factions can be explained with the whole "well each faction is different" but its not just horses that has this.
Spears for instance. Its gotten alot better, the values of spears before were all over the place, its alot more uniform now, but! (I'm only doing cavalry breaker perk here)

Sturgian Long Spear
87 speed
30 damage
196 length
64 handling

Khuzait Long Spear
83 speed
31 damage
196 length
58 handling

Aserai Long spear
85 speed
32 damage
195 length
63 handling

Oathsworn Battanian Long Spear
89 speed
29 damage
193 length
69 handling.

Why? The length of the spear, arguably what matters the most is still more or less the same, but it can throw off the timing slightly, especially with a different speed. Why does Khuzait have the worst stats, when their infantry is called Khuzait Spear Infantry?

"This is minor things and we have much bigger issues right now"
Absolutely agree, but things add up to make the combat feel more frustrating. Small things add up to major issues, and the game has a ton of issues that dont seem to get looked into. And the big issues dont seem to get fixed either.

Mightve derailed the thread abit...

Back
Top Bottom